shape
carat
color
clarity

Need advice on these OMC earrings...

Dougsgirl

Shiny_Rock
Well, I posted this in Rocky Talky, but realized I maybe should have posted it here. So I'm double posting. ;-)

Hello PS experts! Long time no see!

I am back again to ask your advice. My DH and I are looking to find my first "antique" piece of jewelry. (My 40th birthday is next week... Yikes!) I would love a pair or OMC or OEC earrings, and we found this pair at Jewels by EricaGrace. I love the size and the look of these earrings, and that they are OMC cushions. But as I look at the photos and videos more intently, I notice one of the earrings has a noticeable black spot/shadow in the middle of the stone. Is this normal for a true Old Mine Cut? I know they are not "perfect" stones, which gives them their character. But this black spot seems pretty obvious.

These earrings are not cheap. For $3200, would you keep looking? Or is this what I should expect for a true old cut?

Here is the link...
http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.com/Jewelry/Earrings/150ctw-Antqiue-cushion-Cut/29143029_S8dj84#!i=2481686573&k=9Z7KPJ7

Thank you so much!

Dougsgirl

Shiny_Rock
Also... It is not obvious from every angle, but this photo seems to show it the best. Also the videos.
Thoughts??

omc_earrings.jpg

Diamondless

Rough_Rock
I definitely see the large black shadow, it's also there for almost all of the video, no matter the angle. It may be a "nail head" diamond, or head obstruction. (someone correct me if I'm wrong). The other diamond doesn't seem to have any problem like that at all, so they don't really look like they match.

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
While I'd say some center darkness (obstruction) is OK for OMCs, especially earrings, I think that stone has too much darkness. Also, it's not clear what the faceting is like on the second stone. If you are seriously interested in these earrings, I'd contact JbEG and ask for close-up headshots of both stones.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
+1 to Gemfever!

Hera

Ideal_Rock
I think you got good advice in RT. The cuts are not the same (one exhibiting obstruction) so I would pass on them if that's a consideration.

Dougsgirl

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone!
We have decided to pass. My sweet DH had already been emailing JBEG about the earrings wanting to surprise me on my birthday, and then I mentioned the dark spot. I think it would bug me. So we are going to continue to look. That's a bummer because I love everything else about them. But I want to make a wise, not impulsive, purchase.

I so appreciate the PS community and all of your help!
Thank you!!

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you did well to pass on these. I have old cuts and have found that the open culets are really pretty. But they are usually small and enhance the look of the diamond. The one you posted was way too big and seemed to look more like a "fish eye" diamond vs. old cut charm.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results