shape
carat
color
clarity

Ideas for a 3 stone ring?

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
I'm doing things backwords again, and bought an empty mounting off DB and have nothing to set in it! It's 2-tone rose and white gold, and while I know I want gemsetones, I'm having a hard time getting inspired. If this was your mounting, what colors/stones would you put in it? I would love to do different colors for the center and sides instead of just throwing diamonds beside a center gem, but I have a hard time picturing 2 colors together. It's on the daintier side too, 5.5mm center and 3.5mm sides. Thanks!

2tone3stone.jpg

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Diamonds and colored stones is the more traditional option but there are so many possibilities. I have always like the look of spessartite with rhodolite ( pure orange with magenta ). Or maybe green and blue sapphires? Or you could do various colors of slightly different spinel in pink or purple pastels. What are your favorite colors?

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
How about a beautiful Barry rhodolite with yellow garnet sides?

Darker green tourmaline with light green sides? Blue sapphire with purple or pink sides?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The easiest and most classic is a coloured center with diamond sides. Why? It will match every and any center colour and small diamond pairs are relatively inexpensive and easy to find. Pairs in coloured stones can be a challenge, more limited by the round shape and specific mm size. With only a single round of 5.5 mm, your task will be easier but still not a walk in the park.

jbkhere

Brilliant_Rock
MustangGal - I've got the same affliction. I often find myself buying settings THEN the stones :errrr: Its challenging for sure - but it can be fun too! I do love the idea of mixing colors though I haven't done it yet - I often drool over many of the combos PSers have done. I'm also a fan of all three the same color. I did a three stone tanzanite that may well be my favorite ring at the moment. Congrats on your new ring!!

_6048.jpg

Gabriellehb

Rough_Rock
I'd be inclined to go with something that would go with both gold colors and further enhance them. My first choice would be a pink stone centre (diamond, spinel, sapphire, tourmaline of a pale to mid intensity) with white diamond or sapphire sides. If the traditional white stones are out of contention I would go with sides of the pale blue/lavender tanzanite with a pale aqua as my centre.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
The colors you like is the first consideration. What colors do you wear most? Do you go toward yellows, oranges, or greens, blues, purples?

Many people have put together rings with some amazing color combinations -- hues I'd never have thought would work together, and they're spectacular. Take a look at the sticky at the top of this forum, "Colored Stone E-rings" to get some ideas. Have fun!!

--- Laurie

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
well also what color stone goes best with RG?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some shades of pink, yellow, purple, green and blue look fabulous in rose gold.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1367682421|3440246 said:
Some shades of pink, yellow, purple, green and blue look fabulous in rose gold.

oh i think a yellow and green one could be fun!

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the suggestions ladies! For colors, I already have a blue sapphire ring, a pale pink ring, a chrome green tourmaline and an orange sapphire ring. I'm not big on yellow, so maybe a teal, paler green, purple or magenta? I did see a few Montana sapphire pairs in the right size in a light teal, maybe with a tanzanite center? Jbkhere, I think I almost bought that mounting last year, from Burk I believe! 3 stones of the same color might be an idea, if I can find them. I sat a few stones I had in different colors, and the pale aqua didn't look the greatest so I'm thinking a medium to dark tone would be better.

jbkhere

Brilliant_Rock
MustangGal|1367706157|3440450 said:
Thanks for the suggestions ladies! For colors, I already have a blue sapphire ring, a pale pink ring, a chrome green tourmaline and an orange sapphire ring. I'm not big on yellow, so maybe a teal, paler green, purple or magenta? I did see a few Montana sapphire pairs in the right size in a light teal, maybe with a tanzanite center? Jbkhere, I think I almost bought that mounting last year, from Burk I believe! 3 stones of the same color might be an idea, if I can find them. I sat a few stones I had in different colors, and the pale aqua didn't look the greatest so I'm thinking a medium to dark tone would be better.

Yes! I did but the setting from Burk. It needed A LOT of work but it was totally worth it being a vintage piece. I love it :love: I really like the idea of the Montanna sapphires. Those are on my "list" (does the wish list ever stop growing??) :lol:

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
Well, I did the crazy/stupid thing and bought a tanzanite on ebay last night. We'll see how it looks when it shows up in a few weeks. I have a strange preference for bi-color stones, so the green and purple in this really called out to me, and I think it might lend itself to pairing with Montana sapphires.

79.jpg

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
Well, the tanzanite was a bust :rolleyes: the stone is OK, and I might use it for a pendant later, but not want I want for this ring. So I went back through the recommended vendor list, and I just paid for this little guy from Dan Stair. I like the rich dark color, but I'm really coming up blank on colored side stones for it. Maybe just warm diamonds?

ga1621.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would hold off plans until you see this is person. This one is dark bordering on super dark.

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1368640404|3447470 said:
I would hold off plans until you see this is person. This one is dark bordering on super dark.

I know it will be dark. I'm OK with that, my office lighting tends to wash out stones anyway. And it's returnable if I don't like it. I liked the shape and tone, so I figured it was worth a look. I'm going to wait on side stones until I see it in person, to see what the color is IRL. Thanks for your thoughts Chrono!

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
While the Cindy Stair garnet is dark, I love the cutting and the red glittering flashes, and decided to keep it. I had a hard time deciding on side stones to with such a dark center, but in the end chose tiny little faceted Ethiopian opals. I picked it up today and totally love it!

dsc_0041.jpg

dsc_0042.jpg

dsc_54.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my GOSH I love the stone combo. I would never hacd thought to use opals. Really great piece! :appl: :appl:

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
Niel|1370133588|3457522 said:
Oh my GOSH I love the stone combo. I would never hacd thought to use opals. Really great piece! :appl: :appl:

Thanks Niel! I ended up with them in a roundabout fashion. After choosing the garnet, I couldn't think of any colors other than white diamonds, but didn't want to spend that much on this project. I've also had a hankering for one of those Ethiopian opal beaded strands. Once I decided the combo would work, I couldn't find stones as small as I needed, 3.5mm. I stumbled upon an Etsy seller that had many finished opal pieces in her shop, including cluster earrings using 3.5mm stones. I contacted her and she was kind enough to sell me a nice pair. At $15 each they were much more affordable than diamonds, and I like the combo better. :wacko:

indigoblue

Shiny_Rock
It's very pretty! I love the opals. Great idea!!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
What a great idea! Can we have more pics?

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
I'll have to get a real shoot done, these were snapped quickly yesterday. I have a few more that weren't as good

dsc_0048.jpg

dsc_0046.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results