shape
carat
color
clarity

Need some help...is this look dated?

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
I have been on the hunt for something art deco for a wedding band. I took a chance and ordered a 1930's alternating sapphire and diamond band. I got it and it was huge and had to return it. I found someone that can make me one but am having anxiety if it is too dated of a look? Honest opinions please? I snapped a few pictures of the too big one for reference. The one I may have made will be 2mm wide by 1.5 tall so much smaller.

20130313_144203.jpg

20130313_112254.jpg

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
Looks like my pictures posted sideways.....sorry. The sapphires look dark but they were not, they are so tricky to take pictures of.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm probably not a good one to ask but no not dated. A simple solitaire is classic and the band and shape just hints at vintage.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think it's classic and looks great with your solitaire.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
It doesn't look dated to my eyes! I think it looks beautiful. Too bad this one was too large. I like the combination of diamonds + a coloured stone, alongside a solitaire - its classic, IMO.

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
The one I am having made will have milgrain on the edges as well. I just don't want to screw this up since I have been through so many wedding bands over the years and DH is getting to the end of his rope with me buying stuff and then selling them because I don't like them eventually. I want the art deco look but not the 80's look if that makes any sense. :confused:

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I think that there's a difference between what might be considered "dated" and what might be considered "classic". I define something as "dated" if it was more trendy. Your ring looks more classic to me - very pretty:)

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock
I don't think your solitaire could ever look dated; it's gorgeous.
This is just my view, but channel set eternities do feel a little stale to me. It may be because I loved them so much I indulged in many over the years. I've started to enjoy the look of slimmer pave, shared prong, and solid metal. I'm certainly not scrapping or reworking my channel set rings, but I have gradually put them in the box and only wear my main anniversary band now, occasionally stacked with some different bands. (I may have just worn out my own personal trend and need something fresh for myself.)

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh I don't think it looks dated at all...the one you bought was from the 30's...this style has been around for a long time and IMHO is a classic! And I think the milgraining will definitely give it an art deco feel.

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
Thank you everyone for your input. I decided I was too chicken to order it in alternating sapphires and diamonds.I decided to order one with princess cut diamonds with milgrain edges and down the road order one that is matching but all sapphires.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lknvrb4|1363546456|3407229 said:
Thank you everyone for your input. I decided I was too chicken to order it in alternating sapphires and diamonds.I decided to order one with princess cut diamonds with milgrain edges and down the road order one that is matching but all sapphires.

I think that will be lovely! The best of both worlds...I think VRBeauty had a good point ...post pics when you get it!

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
I think it sounds lovely. I was going to say add milgrain, but you already are! I can see how you might think a smooth channel setting might feel dated, but with milgrain, it'll definitely feel classically antique.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it looks great!! Not dated at all!

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
junebug17 said:
lknvrb4|1363546456|3407229 said:

I think that will be lovely! The best of both worlds...I think VRBeauty had a good point ...post pics when you get it!

Great idea lknvb4! I think that will look smashing with your pear!

SB621

Ideal_Rock
ohhhh you had me at art deco :love: :love: I personally love it and think it is beautiful! i would wear that set in a heartbeat! :appl:

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sarahbear621|1363566741|3407405 said:
ohhhh you had me at art deco :love: :love: I personally love it and think it is beautiful! i would wear that set in a heartbeat! :appl:

agreed :)

babs23r

Brilliant_Rock
Not dated at all, and definitely NOT 80's. I am a huge sapphire and diamond fan, and think that the ring and band compliment each other.I also love two bands flanking the center ring!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1930's is antique and the design is classic. Dated means it was trendy briefly at one point in time, which this one clearly isn't. ;))

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't think it looks dated. But I don't like the height difference between the rings (or how much the sapphire band sticks up and out) or the sapphires in the band as they are too dark for me.

If you want a band like this, I think this one here would be a great choice (I've seen it in person and it's lovely): http://idjewelryonline.com/product_info.php?cPath=53_137&products_id=54678

ScorpioLove

Shiny_Rock
I like the look of the band with your solitaire. It doesn't look dated at all. I can't wait to start my own collection of "stackers".
Beautiful....(although I know you're now looking to sale the solitaire). :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results