shape
carat
color
clarity

Antique collector-what is the best course of education???

Shushinator

Rough_Rock
Hi all, I have started an etsy store selling off some of my antique jewelry, deciding it ehte . Well 'listing'' might be more honest than selling as I have sold very little at this point.

(Note, i know there was a big hubub about a pricescoper starting an ebay store recently. I wlll talk to the powers that be and see if this makes me 'industry'.)

I have to say, I have been frustrated with the appraisers with whom I have gone to in order to provide potential customers with verification that my pieces are genuine. The ones I have dealt with have less knowledge about the pieces I bring them than me.

I would like to expand my education in the so that I am better able to evaluate pieces on my own . I found a local place to take courses, a jewelers school in Colorado Springs. Its a husband wife team i believe.

Can anyone offer advice as to the best place to get an appraiser's education in the art of buying and selling antique jewelry? If i can earn industry qualifications in the process that would be great , but what is most important to me is that I learns the ins and outs of buying, selling and repair, (fabrication after that would be great.)

Any suggestions?

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Re: Antique collector-what is the best course of education??

Very interesting question! I know you can take courses through GIA... but I'm not sure that those deal with vintage pieces. I hope someone can give you good advice.

I'm curious about the PSer who started an ebay store... could you link me to that thread? I have an Etsy store that I used to sell my bead necklaces through, and just recently I've listed my colored gemstone collection there. I don't consider myself a seller exactly, but if I started selling more stuff, it would be a fine line to walk. I'd love to read about the other PS'ers experience.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Hi, Shushinator! I took the GIA diamond grading course as a start a few years ago, and the general consensus was that the qualifications for being an appraiser were a lot like the punchline to the old joke about how to get to Carnegie Hall - "Practice, practice, practice!" The class you mention would be a good place to start: taking the various courses to be a GG, similarly (whether it's through GIA or another company). There are workshops and seminars all over the country that would be worth looking into. But the biggest piece of advice I got (and the one I haven't been able to bring myself to follow up on)? Retail experience. I've been told that an appraiser with less than three years of retail experience is just kidding themselves. I'm sure it's not a hard number, but it might be worth seeing if there are any part-time openings in vintage jewelry stores in your area, maybe?

Shushinator

Rough_Rock

GemFever|1367442303|3438401 said:
Very interesting question! I know you can take courses through GIA... but I'm not sure that those deal with vintage pieces. I hope someone can give you good advice.

I'm curious about the PSer who started an ebay store... could you link me to that thread? I have an Etsy store that I used to sell my bead necklaces through, and just recently I've listed my colored gemstone collection there. I don't consider myself a seller exactly, but if I started selling more stuff, it would be a fine line to walk. I'd love to read about the other PS'ers experience.

keep in mind that emotions were running high, but i was a little concerned to discover what some moderators feel qualifies a Pricesoper as 'Industry'. I certainly have not achieved a retail license, have sold less than 6 items and i do pay retail pricing. The way i see it now, im throwing a hopeful virtual yard sale.

Here is the i

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/chrono-show-me-red-with-no-modifier-of-any-kind-please.185912/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/chrono-show-me-red-with-no-modifier-of-any-kind-please.185912/[/URL]

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Shushinator|1368001589|3442564 said:

keep in mind that emotions were running high, but i was a little concerned to discover what some moderators feel qualifies a Pricesoper as 'Industry'. I certainly have not achieved a retail license, have sold less than 6 items and i do pay retail pricing. The way i see it now, im throwing a hopeful virtual yard sale.

Here is the i

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/chrono-show-me-red-with-no-modifier-of-any-kind-please.185912/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/chrono-show-me-red-with-no-modifier-of-any-kind-please.185912/[/URL]

Thanks Shushinator. That was an interesting read. I also feel like I'm doing a virtual yard sale, but I want to be careful not to cross into the "trade" side.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

GemFever|1368027881|3442769 said:

Here is the i

Thanks Shushinator. That was an interesting read. I also feel like I'm doing a virtual yard sale, but I want to be careful not to cross into the "trade" side.

And I've got another angle on the quandry ... I make jewelry that's in no way shape or form competition for the PS vendors (arty silver stuff), and I've reached a kind of maximum capacity. *I* do not need more earrings! My friends do not need more earrings! And yet I like making them, and am thinking of putting up an Etsy store before I run out of space. But ... I also really like posting on PS, and all of the "trade" constraints feel like they'd put a damper on that. Decisions, decisions ....

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Circe|1368030167|3442808 said:

Here is the i

And I've got another angle on the quandry ... I make jewelry that's in no way shape or form competition for the PS vendors (arty silver stuff), and I've reached a kind of maximum capacity. *I* do not need more earrings! My friends do not need more earrings! And yet I like making them, and am thinking of putting up an Etsy store before I run out of space. But ... I also really like posting on PS, and all of the "trade" constraints feel like they'd put a damper on that. Decisions, decisions ....

Yikes! Even that would make you trade? I guess like Lady Disdain? I'm not sure what makes her trade, but doesn't she make her own stuff?

Before finding PS, I sold bead necklaces on Etsy. No way do I think that should make me "Trade" on PS (if I were still selling them). Who here talks about bead necklaces? And yet, if I started trying to sell them actively again, I'd probably be walking a fine line. Gah.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

GemFever|1368030320|3442812 said:
Circe|1368030167|3442808 said:

Here is the i

Yikes! Even that would make you trade? I guess like Lady Disdain? I'm not sure what makes her trade, but doesn't she make her own stuff?

Before finding PS, I sold bead necklaces on Etsy. No way do I think that should make me "Trade" on PS (if I were still selling them). Who here talks about bead necklaces? And yet, if I started trying to sell them actively again, I'd probably be walking a fine line. Gah.

Yep - Lady D makes beautiful artisan jewelry, and is on the up-and-up about it here ... but I think it's our loss, because she's a great poster, and limiting her interaction is a loss to the board that doesn't benefit any of us. Not posters, not vendors, nada. It's frustrating.

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I was going to edit my post to use milder language, I guess it's not my place to say "no way should that make me trade." That's for the moderators to decide (though guys, I'm not running an active shop now, just selling off my won gemstone collection. Promise! :wavey: ). But it would be great if there was some kind of differentiation for people like Circe and Lady_D. Maybe for me with bead necklaces, too :cheeky: Just because I make bead necklaces, does that mean I should not be able to comment on people's old cut diamond questions? If I started selling vintage diamonds as a business, that would be another story.

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium

Here is the i

Hi Shushinator,

The big difference between a virtual yard sale and a vendor is profit. If someone purchases something with the intent of selling it for profit on a regular basis, that person is a vendor. If a person is selling off their own collection, we do not consider that a vendor.

Users have been identified previously that have an ebay store with hundreds of transactions for gems that we were able to identify as bought and "flipped" for profit a few months later. That is why some users with extensive ebay stores have been classified as trade.

As for those who have etsy stores, if you want to link in your signature, you need to be trade. If you are in the gem or fine jewelry business we consider you trade. So if you are selling beaded necklaces made of precious stones, that would make you trade. Someone selling dolls or crystal/clay/seed bead necklaces would not. In the example posted above, Lady Disdain sells wedding rings and fine jewelry, hence her trade status and her ability to post a link in her signature.

The issue is not those who are competition for our vendors, but only to create a fair playing field for those who are in the same business. It wouldn't be fair to allow some trade members to say recommend their favorite vendors, and perhaps get a kickback or referral bonus, and not allow others. Therefore we do not allow anyone to protect recommendations and advice on the site.

I hope that helps you clarify.

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Thanks for the explanation Ella! I just wanted to clarify that i'm not selling gemstone necklaces right now -- that was before PS and I chickened out of having a full-fledged Etsy store. I just have some of my gemstone collection for sale now as I build a budget for the ultimate old cut :)) If I do decide to sell for a profit though, I'll let the mods know right away.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

GemFever|1368326479|3445259 said:
Thanks for the explanation Ella! I just wanted to clarify that i'm not selling gemstone necklaces right now -- that was before PS and I chickened out of having a full-fledged Etsy store. I just have some of my gemstone collection for sale now as I build a budget for the ultimate old cut :)) If I do decide to sell for a profit though, I'll let the mods know right away.

Ditto! Might I ask, though ... Ella, you said gems or fine jewelry. Where would arty silver with (at most) semi-precious stones fall on that scale? I hate to be nit-picky, but if I do ever go with this, I want to be sure I'm on the right side of the line!

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium

Circe|1368331277|3445302 said:
GemFever|1368326479|3445259 said:

Ditto! Might I ask, though ... Ella, you said gems or fine jewelry. Where would arty silver with (at most) semi-precious stones fall on that scale? I hate to be nit-picky, but if I do ever go with this, I want to be sure I'm on the right side of the line!

It probably would be a case-by-case situation depending on what was being sold. PLease do not hesitate to contact us and despite what some believe being trade does not eliminate you from forum educational participation. ;))

For example, such as Julia Kay Taylor or Daniel M is clearly a vendor. Someone who sells a few pieces on the side as they are learning or is creating jewelry with silver wire and beads would be different.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results