shape
carat
color
clarity

AVC to AVR?

Cachette

Brilliant_Rock
Has anyone here gone from owning an August Vintage Cushion to owning an August Vintage Round? I'm toying with the idea of upgrading my AVC to an AVR but I'm worried that I would regret it. I do love my AVC but I'd like to go higher in color and a bit bigger in size and I like that the AVRs have a bigger spread. I've watched GOG's video comparisons over and over again but without seeing an AVR IRL, or getting some feedback from others who have made the switch, I don't want to make a decision. :)

Even if any of you have just seen the 2 type of stones together IRL, please give me your thoughts about their performance; what you like about the AVR and what you don't like about it.

Thank you!

Cachette :))

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The AVR has faster flash "speed" (on/off scintillation) than the AVC, hence many will say that AVCs are for the viewing pleasure of the wearer whereas AVRs are more eye-catching to others.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Wintotty, I believe - and she sounded very happy with the change. :)

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nooo, I love your AVC!!! I wouldn't change it personally.

Also, I think even though cushions face up smaller, they seem to look bigger to me than round stones because of the corners. So there's that to consider too.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Circe|1366132340|3428183 said:
Yep, she loves it. I think she might be waiting for a larger one to be available but for now might love this one.

Cachette

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono|1366132163|3428177 said:
The AVR has faster flash "speed" (on/off scintillation) than the AVC, hence many will say that AVCs are for the viewing pleasure of the wearer whereas AVRs are more eye-catching to others.

Interesting.... That makes sense.

Thanks Chrono!

Cachette

Brilliant_Rock

I'll have to check out her thread if she has one. (off to search!)

Thanks Circe!

Cachette

Brilliant_Rock
Laila619|1366132628|3428186 said:
Nooo, I love your AVC!!! I wouldn't change it personally.

Also, I think even though cushions face up smaller, they seem to look bigger to me than round stones because of the corners. So there's that to consider too.

Thanks Laila! I do love it but I'm finding that the K color is bothering me a bit more than I'd like to admit. I always wear it next to my G-H eternity band and in certain lighting environments the color of the stone really shows and I wish it was "whiter". :( I saw a much bigger G color AVC IRL and wished my stone was more like that one so that's why I'm looking at the AVR because of it's spread. I agree with you Laila that my stone does look "big" because of the crown and it's shape. It is a good point to think about.

Cachette

Brilliant_Rock
ame|1366133432|3428202 said:
Yep, she loves it. I think she might be waiting for a larger one to be available but for now might love this one.

Thanks ame! I'm going to look into her thread.

CaratLover2

Shiny_Rock
I have both an AVC and an AVR

My AVC is an L. I love it and would never change it. It has more fire than my AVR. I really love the pastel colours it throws :love:

My AVR is a G. It's very bright, but lacks fire in comparison to my AVR. Perhaps it's to do with the size difference between the two?? Perhaps you need a "big one" to really see the pastels in them! Whilst I do love it, I think that at some stage I'll up-grade again and I know I'll want size when I do - so I'm not sure if I'll pay the premium for another AVR again or try a MRB. For example, GOG recently had (has?) a 2.3ct I MRB (sorry, don't remember the rest of the details) for the same price as a 2ct K AVR - so that's quite a difference in size and price!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CaratLover2|1366146019|3428364 said:

My AVC is an L. I love it and would never change it. It has more fire than my AVR. I really love the pastel colours it throws :love:

My AVR is a G. It's very bright, but lacks fire in comparison to my AVR. Perhaps it's to do with the size difference between the two?? Perhaps you need a "big one" to really see the pastels in them! Whilst I do love it, I think that at some stage I'll up-grade again and I know I'll want size when I do - so I'm not sure if I'll pay the premium for another AVR again or try a MRB. For example, GOG recently had (has?) a 2.3ct I MRB (sorry, don't remember the rest of the details) for the same price as a 2ct K AVR - so that's quite a difference in size and price!

Oh, I really don't think it is a fair comparison to compare a 1.2 AVR to a 2.5 ct AVC, though! I have seen both and love both, but 2+ ct AVR's are absolutely gorgeous and I prefer it far more than a modern rb even though there is a price premium. Naturally a 2.5 ct AVC is going to have huge facets compared to a 1.2 AVR. I think if you look at some AVR's in the size range of your AVC, you'll think differently about them!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cachette, AVC's don't face up as small as many other cushions because of the great cut. As I said in the last post, I do love both types of AV stones, but they are just different! I'd definitely not trade in the AVC unless you can first order an AVR the size you want in order to compare them. That helped me tremedously. But I always planned to stick with a round for my e-ring, and I'd love to have an AVC if I am ever able to buy another diamond.

Here are some of my threads:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/comparing-two-august-vintage-rounds-avrs-1-9-to-2-2-cts.180814/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/comparing-two-august-vintage-rounds-avrs-1-9-to-2-2-cts.180814/[/URL]

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/2-12-ct-avr-is-it-the-one.187487/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/2-12-ct-avr-is-it-the-one.187487/[/URL]

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/some-avcs-came-to-visit-me-today.179824/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/some-avcs-came-to-visit-me-today.179824/[/URL]

CaratLover2

Shiny_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1366166062|3428619 said:

Oh, I really don't think it is a fair comparison to compare a 1.2 AVR to a 2.5 ct AVC, though! I have seen both and love both, but 2+ ct AVR's are absolutely gorgeous and I prefer it far more than a modern rb even though there is a price premium. Naturally a 2.5 ct AVC is going to have huge facets compared to a 1.2 AVR. I think if you look at some AVR's in the size range of your AVC, you'll think differently about them!

I'm sure I'd love a 2+ct AVR!!! But that's the point I'm trying to make. The OP has a 1.17(??) AVC - and I'd hazard a guess that she already sees those lovely big pastel flashes in that size. So if she loves those pastel flashes, the maybe best to stick with the AVC.

I have a 1.27 AVR and don't really see too much of those pastel flashes, so I guess anyone wanting to really enjoy those pastel flashes either goes with an AVC or goes larger in a AVR. From what I've seen on this site, original OEC's seem to have more pastel flash than AVR's - but I've not seen the new version of the AVRs in person, so maybe this has been addressed in the new version! But that's a whole other can of worms. But in saying that - I'd still buy an AVR - just a bigger one :love:

OP - you said you had an issue with the colour. Is this because of the colour itself, or is this because you wear it next to a band with MRBs in it. If it were me, I think I'd try switching my band first, as you AVC really is beautiful :love:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CaratLover2|1366188191|3428762 said:
diamondseeker2006|1366166062|3428619 said:

I'm sure I'd love a 2+ct AVR!!! But that's the point I'm trying to make. The OP has a 1.17(??) AVC - and I'd hazard a guess that she already sees those lovely big pastel flashes in that size. So if she loves those pastel flashes, the maybe best to stick with the AVC.

I have a 1.27 AVR and don't really see too much of those pastel flashes, so I guess anyone wanting to really enjoy those pastel flashes either goes with an AVC or goes larger in a AVR. From what I've seen on this site, original OEC's seem to have more pastel flash than AVR's - but I've not seen the new version of the AVRs in person, so maybe this has been addressed in the new version! But that's a whole other can of worms. But in saying that - I'd still buy an AVR - just a bigger one :love:

OP - you said you had an issue with the colour. Is this because of the colour itself, or is this because you wear it next to a band with MRBs in it. If it were me, I think I'd try switching my band first, as you AVC really is beautiful :love:

Oh, okay, I see what you mean, if she were to trade for a 1.2 or lower AVR. Sorry! I am going to say that I have had a 1.8 ct old style AVR here and it was absolutely gorgeous and I would have kept it had the color been okay for me. It had amazing pastel colors! In between I saw an old style 2.19 and new style 1.9 AVR. Then I tried the 2.12 AVR in the more OEC cut, and it is very beautiful as well. I don't have a preference in the two styles, but I think the key is that you are looking at a small AVR compared with a large AVC. If anything, I would expect AVR's to produce more fire than many OEC's because they are just better cut and have less light leakage. I have said to Jon many times that these stones just get more beautiful the larger they are, so I think that applies to both AVC's and AVR's. I never even considered a 2+ ct. round brilliant, but I adore the AVR in 2+ carat sizes!

I think she has to see a AVR next to her AVC to see what she thinks. I agree that the fatter facets of the AVC will be more apparent than the facets of the AVR in a smaller stone. But I don't think it means less fire. I see fire in all of them outside in the sun, but I am not in that kind of lighting all that much, so how the stones work in indoor lighting where I am most of the time matters most to me.

I totally agree that it doesn't work to wear a diamond band with much whiter stones with a lower color e-ring stone of any kind.

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
I just recently did this, so if you decide to make the switch, I'll be interested to hear what you think.

When I originally bought my 1.75ct L AVC, I had wanted an M, and I had wanted a slightly larger size. Every once in a while I'd take a look at what GOG had available in the AVC's and AVR's, and last month I saw an AVR that was 2.4 ct, and an M, and I had it sent to me with the idea that I'd trade in the AVC. Once I saw the two stones side by side, though, it got very complicated. It really is like comparing apples and oranges.

Aside from the obvious differences in size, color and the shape, the way light plays with the AVC and the AVR is totally different. Both of them throw off gorgeous pastels. Both of them gather in all the available light even in a dim room. Both of them catch on fire in strong light. But even from a distance you could never mistake an AVC for an AVR. The flowery look of the AVR, and the chunky facets of the AVC are absolutely distinct, and for me, appealed to completely different parts of my brain. I also think that it was easier to see the color in the AVR than in the AVC.

The easiest thing for you to do might be to have an AVR sent to you, and compare the two side by side, and see what you think.

CaratLover2

Shiny_Rock
Aoife|1366208203|3428875 said:
I just recently did this, so if you decide to make the switch, I'll be interested to hear what you think.

When I originally bought my 1.75ct L AVC, I had wanted an M, and I had wanted a slightly larger size. Every once in a while I'd take a look at what GOG had available in the AVC's and AVR's, and last month I saw an AVR that was 2.4 ct, and an M, and I had it sent to me with the idea that I'd trade in the AVC. Once I saw the two stones side by side, though, it got very complicated. It really is like comparing apples and oranges.

Aside from the obvious differences in size, color and the shape, the way light plays with the AVC and the AVR is totally different. Both of them throw off gorgeous pastels. Both of them gather in all the available light even in a dim room. Both of them catch on fire in strong light. But even from a distance you could never mistake an AVC for an AVR. The flowery look of the AVR, and the chunky facets of the AVC are absolutely distinct, and for me, appealed to completely different parts of my brain. I also think that it was easier to see the color in the AVR than in the AVC.

The easiest thing for you to do might be to have an AVR sent to you, and compare the two side by side, and see what you think.

Not trying to thread jack ... but this is very interesting! Did you have your own thread on this? Pics? A 2.4! :lickout:

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
CaratLover2|1366211856|3428917 said:

Not trying to thread jack ... but this is very interesting! Did you have your own thread on this? Pics? A 2.4! :lickout:

I don't have a thread, but may do one in the future. We've been traveling, so I haven't been that organized!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aoife, are you choosing one of those or keeping both? I agree that they are two totally different things! But both beautiful in their own way.

Cachette

Brilliant_Rock

Thanks for your response CaratLover! I'm really torn here and having read what you and diamondseeker have discussed and you both have valid points about the stones. My problem is that it's very difficult for me to have a stone sent to me because I'm in Canada and it's a pain in the butt to do wire transfers and pay duties and taxes and all that fun stuff. I also am looking at stones under 1.2 carats so I fear, based again on what you mentioned, that I may be disappointed with the look of a smaller AVR. I have read and drooled over diamondseeker's threads on her quest for a large AVR and I have to agree that, based on pictures alone, that there is something very special about large AVRs. I'm just not ready to get something so big....

And yes, I've thought about changing the band that I wear with my current AVC but I really like the feel of this band on the left hand and in all honestly, I'm not liking the tint of the K in certain lighting environments (not to put down this stones performance because that is NEVER the issue!) and I don't think that changing the band I wear it with will change that. Like I said earlier, I saw a large G AVC and was blown away. I realize that I may never own such a stone but perhaps an H or an I color will be better for me. My first love is the AVC (they are such beautiful stones!!!) and perhaps I should stick with this stone until I can afford another, bigger, higher color one. :)

I'm still VERY grateful for the ring that I have but a girl can dream right? ;-)

Thanks again Caratlover.

Cachette

Brilliant_Rock

Thank you Aoife! I appreciate you posting your observations of the 2 stones. I fully understand what you mean about the stones appealing to completely different parts of your brain. ;-) Looking forward to seeing what you decide!

Cachette

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1366166797|3428633 said:
Cachette, AVC's don't face up as small as many other cushions because of the great cut. As I said in the last post, I do love both types of AV stones, but they are just different! I'd definitely not trade in the AVC unless you can first order an AVR the size you want in order to compare them. That helped me tremedously. But I always planned to stick with a round for my e-ring, and I'd love to have an AVC if I am ever able to buy another diamond.

Here are some of my threads:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/comparing-two-august-vintage-rounds-avrs-1-9-to-2-2-cts.180814/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/comparing-two-august-vintage-rounds-avrs-1-9-to-2-2-cts.180814/[/URL]

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/2-12-ct-avr-is-it-the-one.187487/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/2-12-ct-avr-is-it-the-one.187487/[/URL]

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/some-avcs-came-to-visit-me-today.179824/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/some-avcs-came-to-visit-me-today.179824/[/URL]

Thank you diamondseeker! I've read your threads quite a bit and your posts (and great pictures!) are actually what go me thinking about the AVRs. :bigsmile:

In a perfect world we would have one of each and they'd be big as can be! :) But until then, I will dream and keep looking at GOG's inventory until the time is right. DH had hinted at a trip to New York in the Fall or Spring so perhaps I will make a detour to see Jonathan and compare the stones with my own eyes. That's as important as seeing the Statue of Liberty and 30 Rockefeller Plaza right? ;-)

Thanks again for your feedback diamondseeker. I really appreciate it.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are very welcome, Cachette! You know, it has taken me quite a long time to find the AVR that was right for me. I think you'd see a difference if you went up to I color. That will still be much more reasonable than going up to a higher color whether you stick with the AVC or change to an AVR. I feel like I have been on a journey trying different diamonds and refining my taste. I hope I am at the point of getting my final stone, but I am thankful to be buying a stone with a trade-in policy just in case Jon comes out with something new and even better down the road! But I hope not, because I think the AV stones are great! It will really help if you can go to NYC and make a visit to GOG when the time comes that you are really ready to trade.

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1366222004|3429051 said:
Aoife, are you choosing one of those or keeping both? I agree that they are two totally different things! But both beautiful in their own way.

I decided to keep them both, with my DH's encouragement. I bought the AVC long enough ago that the trade-in wouldn't have been anywhere near what a comparable AVC would cost now--that's my rationalization, and I'm sticking to it :Up_to_something: I really love them both, and would have missed the AVC.

Cachette, I think your idea of going to GOG in person and playing with the different AVC's and AVR's is a brilliant idea, and the best possible way to see how different and beautiful each of them are--and also what your personal sweet spot is. I hope you'll post about it when you do, because I'd love to hear your thoughts and reactions!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results