shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone else notice the price of Gold dropping?

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think about 10% in a few days?
It's at $1369 as I write this.....it was well over $1500 a few days back.....

sha4000

Shiny_Rock
Rockdiamond|1366147457|3428382 said:
I think about 10% in a few days?
It's at $1369 as I write this.....it was well over $1500 a few days back.....

I have been paying attention to this also. I'm wondering when/if this will be reflected in the price of gold jewelry especially since I'm looking for engagement and wedding bands.

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I heard NPR mention it. I cheered :cheeky: I want more custom-made gold jewelry that I can afford!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The "spill down" to typical custom made jewelry is not all that great.
Labor is a large component of many custom made pieces.
If the piece is very heavy, there'll be a larger impact as gold fluctuates.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I think a few 24k pieces have my name on them..... :rodent:

cheers--Sharon

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We will not see the drop in price of jewellery as their excuse is that they bought high (before the drop) and cannot absorb the loss. Strangely enough, when the price goes up, jewellers' pricing goes up overnight as well. :rolleyes:

Draco

Rough_Rock
Trade
Just like gas. Quick to rise, slow to fall.

focusr3

Rough_Rock
I'm a little mad about it. I'm was getting ready to sell some gold but now i have to wait.

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock
See the 5yr chart...ugly.
May not help retail jewelry, but everyone will sure get less for scrap.

_5536.jpg

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A big hit for the scrap market- buyers and sellers alike.
47th street will look quite different....for the last few years the hawkers had gotten so aggressive trying to get people to sell anything made from gold.
( you don't really need those teeth, do you?)
Dealers are surely going to be far more cautious buying.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1366151864|3428432 said:
We will not see the drop in price of jewellery as their excuse is that they bought high (before the drop) and cannot absorb the loss. Strangely enough, when the price goes up, jewellers' pricing goes up overnight as well. :rolleyes:

I hear ya. But what if I have not yet placed my order for new pieces---I think I will benefit.....

cheers--Sharon

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock
Rockdiamond|1366155470|3428463 said:
A big hit for the scrap market- buyers and sellers alike.
47th street will look quite different....for the last few years the hawkers had gotten so aggressive trying to get people to sell anything made from gold.
( you don't really need those teeth, do you?)
Dealers are surely going to be far more cautious buying.

I doubt many of the buyers were not hedging their physical purchases. They have a built in margin. And if they were not hedging, they were speculating and won't be doing it long. I found those pop-up gold buyer businesses kind of grim. Like the house flippers from the housing boom.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

So annoying!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I doubt the consumer will see the drop reflected in the prices at all.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
according to the New York times gold will continue to drop till below 1200 by the end of the year. When the economy and stock market is up gold traditionally goes down. That being said I travel around the country and buy gold on a traveling road show. We basically pay the same today as we did two years ago when gold was at 1800. We hold on to the gold since we are a big company and this way we can pass the benefit to those from whom we buy gold.

If you are ready to sell scrap gold you should go to several places and find the place that gives you the best price and you feel comfortable selling to.

If you have questions about what you are getting offered I would be happy to tell you if you are receiving a fair quote.

Agneau

Shiny_Rock

My thoughts exactly, Chrono. You wrote it much better than I could. I've thought about this idea quite a bit. Pisses me off, if I may say so.

diamondloveaffair

Shiny_Rock
I feel bad for the investors and traders. a sudden drop of 25% in prices over a couple of days is bound to leave heart attacks.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results