shape
carat
color
clarity

Bad Parenting or harmless fun?

Is this blog bad parenting or harmless fun?

• Funny and harmless

Votes: 37 80.4%
  • Not funny and harmful

Votes: 6 13.0%
  • Other, please explain

Votes: 3 6.5%

• Total voters

princesss

Ideal_Rock
double post

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it's hysterical. Babies/kids cry. About everything. The pictures, in the grand scheme of things aren't a big deal. Well son, we gave you food clothing shelter, loved you like we loved no other being before, taught you, answered your questions, read to you, took you on fun trips but you know...we totally ruined your life by making those pictures public and making fun of you so we take full responsibility that you'll never be hired at anything other than Mc Donalds or have a loving spouse or any friends ever in your entire life b/c of what we did when you were a year old.

My mom has a picture up in the kitchen of my brother-the bare butt on the rug type pic. This of course is the reason why he is now a drug dealer living under a bridge. My mom put a picture in the paper when I turned 18-me naked, trying to get out of a basin of water. My principal recognized me and hung it on the bulletin board at school. This is of course why I have never had a decent relationship in my life and am now a prostitute living in a crack house.

What good are your kids if you can't make fun of them? Really.

gem_anemone

Brilliant_Rock
I think if the dad spent more time trying to understand his son rather than humiliating him for the rest of his life then maybe the kid wouldn't cry so much. I also think that someone who makes that website has a screw loose and also that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree... I am not a mom, but I don't think all kids cry at the drop of a hat. I think that kid has to be gaining something from all that crying. So for me it is bad parenting and a bratty kid. I don't think it's funny or cute. I'm annoyed by that blog.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
I agree with one of the above posters that with all the weirdos out there, I question why parents post pictures of their young children on the Internet.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been thinking about why this blog stuck a sour chord in me.

First, I don't have kids so I have not been frustrated by 'illogical' crying.
Rationally I can understand, but without the personal experience the humor just does not resonate as much.

Second, as a terribly abused kid myself, seeing a kid not taken seriously and being publicly mocked and derided when he's in pain rips at my heart - even if the cause of every crying that's pictured was silly.
Kids live in thier age-appropriate silly world.

What's next, a blog displaying how crappy the crayon drawings are that are held by magnets on the refrigerator?
Oh look at that horrible perspective; the buildings don't converge towards the vanishing point. :nono:
The little Rembrandt didn't even draw in a cast shadow.
Hey everyone, come look what a loser my daughter is!

No, I'm not saying a piece of cheese breaking in half really is a major crises.
But to a kid, it may be.
It's really easy for an adult to just bulldoze over a kid, and make a kid feel invalidated.

Next, that kid probably didn't say to the parent, "I want to go drown in that lake."
That snide sarcasm is a cruel thing to aim at your own child, especially on the Internet.

But Yes, sure I can see the humor in it.
The humor and the cruelty do not compete, with one winning.
I think they both just coexist and which one is stronger depends on the viewer.

erinl

Brilliant_Rock
I have a nearly three year old boy and I could have created just about the same tumblr! It made me laugh, especially the one where the kid was crying because he wanted dinner but his plate was on the floor because he threw it there. That happens a couple times a week here!

Earlier today he had a lengthy meltdown because he had spilled broccoli soup on his shirt--he didn't want to wear it because it was wet, and he didn't want to put on a new shirt--this went on for 15 minutes, putting the wet shirt on, removing it, putting new shirt on, repeat, with inconsolable crying. I think finding humor in this is a lot better than losing it.

Some days the only thing that gets me through is to talk to my friends or sisters who have kids that are the same age, and how they cope with crying fits like this. I say if this tumblr is found funny by some parents, then it is not a bad thing.

People out there are very quick to judge and assess parents with their kids-- I cannot tell you how many times in a grocery store a grandparent aged person has scowled at me-- scowled if I raise my voice when my kids act up, scowl if I don't immediately stop their behavior in some superhuman way-- there is no parental response that is accepted by all. I have to grocery shop and sorry, I don't have the option of leaving my kid in the car like the person scowling at me did when they had kids that age!!!! I could go on and on with this point, but I won't!

I don't think this kids will be damaged by this tumblr--kids will actually think he is cool that he was picked up by major media outlets, which is a subject of a different poll altogether....

I would put huge money on this being shown at his rehearsal dinner some day!
I had my children years after my own mom died. I cannot tell you how many times I would love to call her up and have her tell me how I used to do the exact same things my kids do and how some of them drove her crazy--it would make me feel like less of a bad parent sometimes. I would love to see a meme created by my mom of me like this. If you look at each of these captions, the kid is crying over absolutely ridiculous things. Its not like the parent is taking a picture of a kid crying because he is freezing or starving. These are captioned shots of a two or three-year old and his first world problems which were documented by his parents, who seem to love him.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
erinl|1365714346|3424975 said:
I have a nearly three year old boy and I could have created just about the same tumblr! It made me laugh, especially the one where the kid was crying because he wanted dinner but his plate was on the floor because he threw it there. That happens a couple times a week here!

Earlier today he had a lengthy meltdown because he had spilled broccoli soup on his shirt--he didn't want to wear it because it was wet, and he didn't want to put on a new shirt--this went on for 15 minutes, putting the wet shirt on, removing it, putting new shirt on, repeat, with inconsolable crying. I think finding humor in this is a lot better than losing it.

Some days the only thing that gets me through is to talk to my friends or sisters who have kids that are the same age, and how they cope with crying fits like this. I say if this tumblr is found funny by some parents, then it is not a bad thing.

People out there are very quick to judge and assess parents with their kids-- I cannot tell you how many times in a grocery store a grandparent aged person has scowled at me-- scowled if I raise my voice when my kids act up, scowl if I don't immediately stop their behavior in some superhuman way-- there is no parental response that is accepted by all. I have to grocery shop and sorry, I don't have the option of leaving my kid in the car like the person scowling at me did when they had kids that age!!!! I could go on and on with this point, but I won't!

I don't think this kids will be damaged by this tumblr--kids will actually think he is cool that he was picked up by major media outlets, which is a subject of a different poll altogether....

I would put huge money on this being shown at his rehearsal dinner some day!
I had my children years after my own mom died. I cannot tell you how many times I would love to call her up and have her tell me how I used to do the exact same things my kids do and how some of them drove her crazy--it would make me feel like less of a bad parent sometimes. I would love to see a meme created by my mom of me like this. If you look at each of these captions, the kid is crying over absolutely ridiculous things. Its not like the parent is taking a picture of a kid crying because he is freezing or starving. These are captioned shots of a two or three-year old and his first world problems which were documented by his parents, who seem to love him.

Well said Erin! Our son (now 8, and for the most part, past crying over nothing) was like this as a baby/toddler. My DH and I both chuckled as we looked at the photos because we could relate. However, I don't think I would have posted photos like this of him. Somehow, it just seems wrong. It's one thing to share with family and friends, quite another to share with the world at large IMHO. Someday, they (the parents or kid) may regret this for whatever reason and you can't take it back.

Kunzite

Brilliant_Rock
gem_anemone|1365697606|3424760 said:
I think if the dad spent more time trying to understand his son rather than humiliating him for the rest of his life then maybe the kid wouldn't cry so much. I also think that someone who makes that website has a screw loose and also that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree... I am not a mom, but I don't think all kids cry at the drop of a hat. I think that kid has to be gaining something from all that crying. So for me it is bad parenting and a bratty kid. I don't think it's funny or cute. I'm annoyed by that blog.

You cannot be serious. That kid is bratty because he's acting like a toddler? Good luck with that! My toddler is the best behaved toddler I have ever met, he gets continuous compliments on being such a good kid, and I could STILL fill a feed with those photos. I have no desire to, but I certainly could. And I understand him perfectly, I spend every minute he's awake with him! He's not crying because I don't understand him but because he either doesn't get what he wants or because he's being irrational (you know, that whole being a toddler thing!).

erinl

Brilliant_Rock
gem_anemone:

Before I had kids I thought that kids that cried all the time were badly parented or were brats. There is a period of time-- and luckily, for me it has been a short window, in which they cry and throw fits for no logical reason. Sometimes it is because they are tired, sometimes it is because they cannot make up their mind and want two things at once. The whole "terrible twos" thing, as trite as it is, rings true, especially with some kids.

Take for example, a common morning at my house. Wake up my kids, fix them breakfast. Place milk in a cup by his breakfast. My son looks at the glass and starts crying--I don't want milk!!! So I pour him a glass of water and set it next to the cup of milk. He then cries that he doesn't want water, or he wants water in a green cup (that the milk is in) instead of the blue cup. Best reaction is to somehow change the subject rather than keep trying to please him, or just ignore him and let him figure it out. But some mornings are harder than others, and if he is being a real pill, will knock one of the cups over. Struggle to get two kids dressed, son having teh sock, or shirt, or pants debate, as we are finally getting him dressed, older daughter has run outside and jumped in a huge muddy puddle and needs to be changed. By this time you are late to wherever you need to be....

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I realize I'm being an A-hole by saying this, but ...

1. I'm Soooooooooo glad I don't have kids.
2. Every parent is assured their place in heaven!!!!

erinl

Brilliant_Rock
Kenny:

I agree that I would not post this on the internet. But I am so cautious that I only post the most innocuous pictures of my kids on facebook, and rarely give status updates that involve them.

So if my son is given a piece of cheese and then cries, "I want it in half," you break it in half and he cries that he wants a whole piece. Sidenote: son is tiny and you have had to bring him in for frequent weigh ins as a baby/little toddler--nothing wrong with him, but drs are ON YOU if said kid is not on the right place on the chart. Because of the struggle to keep weight on my son, I kind of bend over backwards to get food in him. SO maybe he acts up with food because he knows I will cave? Probably, but tell me how I avoid that?

I cut off a whole piece of cheese and offer him a different whole piece. For some reason that cause him to cry more--maybe in toddler logic this makes sense and there is some way I have affronted him in some way that I am missing--he probably wants the broken piee of cheese to re-fuse itself together. I set the broken cheese and the whole cheese down and say fine, take your pick, have one or both, which causes him to lose it and throw himself on the floor. I ignore it and one minute later he is fine, eating one or both of the pieces of cheese.

Bad/damaged kid? no
Bad parent? I hope not
End of the world? no
Exhausting when it is the countless time this has happened or is back to back with something similar? you bet

And yes, I have tried timeouts as well. Outcome is about as good, and doesn't prevent this meltdown in subsequent cheese encounters.

As i am typing this my son just took all his clothes off and is half crying because he is trying to put his shirt back on and is stuck. I have no idea why--maybe this is how two year olds learn how to dress themselves-- dry runs? Beats the hell out of me--I just helped him put them back on. But it is pretty much all day, something like this!

erinl

Brilliant_Rock
Kenny--

I caught your sarcasm about parents and heaven!

I truly am not complaining, just trying to describe the sentiment that compelled this dad to create this tumblr. As I said above, I have some criticism of the public posting of it...

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1365699899|3424788 said:
I've been thinking about why this blog stuck a sour chord in me.

First, I don't have kids so I have not been frustrated by 'illogical' crying.
Rationally I can understand, but without the personal experience the humor just does not resonate as much.

Second, as a terribly abused kid myself, seeing a kid not taken seriously and being publicly mocked and derided when he's in pain rips at my heart - even if the cause of every crying that's pictured was silly.
Kids live in thier age-appropriate silly world.

What's next, a blog displaying how crappy the crayon drawings are that are held by magnets on the refrigerator?
Oh look at that horrible perspective; the buildings don't converge towards the vanishing point. :nono:
The little Rembrandt didn't even draw in a cast shadow.
Hey everyone, come look what a loser my daughter is!

No, I'm not saying a piece of cheese breaking in half really is a major crises.
But to a kid, it may be.
It's really easy for an adult to just bulldoze over a kid, and make a kid feel invalidated.

Next, that kid probably didn't say to the parent, "I want to go drown in that lake."
That snide sarcasm is a cruel thing to aim at your own child, especially on the Internet.

But Yes, sure I can see the humor in it.
The humor and the cruelty do not compete, with one winning.
I think they both just coexist and which one is stronger depends on the viewer.

Kenny, I really don't think that was the purpose of this blog at all. I don't think anyone is mocking the kid--if anything, people are saying how adorable he is and chuckling at the funny captions, but not at *him*.

gem_anemone

Brilliant_Rock
Hey I've been around kids. My youngest brother was born when I was 17 and all my cousins are even younger than him. My brother was no angel by any means, but he didn't have a complete sobbing meltdown over seemingly innocuous things multiple times a day. The kid in the blog is exhausting his parents to the point of shaming him. I'd have to say that probably falls under "worse than normal toddler behavior" ie brat.

Kunzite

Brilliant_Rock
I should have just said ditto to Erin since she's far more eloquent than I am! We had two similar food incidents. The first was because the cheese was the wrong color (white instead of yellow) and the second was because the banana broke while being peeled :lol:

gem, I don't think that kid is exhausting the parents at all (unless they said that and I missed it), it looks to be the opposite in that they're just embracing the difficult toddler years with humor.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kunzite|1365718569|3425026 said:
I should have just said ditto to Erin since she's far more eloquent than I am! We had two similar food incidents. The first was because the cheese was the wrong color (white instead of yellow) and the second was because the banana broke while being peeled :lol:

gem, I don't think that kid is exhausting the parents at all (unless they said that and I missed it), it looks to be the opposite in that they're just embracing the difficult toddler years with humor.

Agreed.

Sometimes, small children are difficult, period. Most parents understand it's just a stage and they'll grow out of it.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kunzite|1365718569|3425026 said:

I haven't read all the comments but this is how I see it.

erinl

Brilliant_Rock
I will take ownership of the term "exhausting." I love my kids but the 20-30 incidents comprised of 1) tantrums 2) massive messes/spills and 3) sibling disputes that make up any given day are a bit exhausting. At the same time I adore my kids and am trying to savor all I can of them at this age because for every instance like this is one there is another one that is so special and sweet, many of which show that as a parent I am doing something right, because I often feel like I am doing everything wrong!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
erinl, it's exhausting but in the best possible way, right? :bigsmile:

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
My dad took a picture of my oldest brother and sister crying for no apparent reason, and we still have it today and think it's hilarious. They have both gone on to live productive lives, and don't appear to have been harmed by the experience.

I'm not a parent but I have 9 nieces and nephews and they pitch fits over absolutely nothing, so I think it's hilarious. (Case in point, my older sister told me that my 6 yo niece threw a fit the other morning about wanting to wear a pair of yellow pants to school, when she doesn't own a pair. I guess she had it in her head that she owned a pair? EITHER WAY SHE WANTED TO WEAR YELLOW CAPRIS AND IT DIDN'T MATTER THAT SHE DOESN'T OWN ANY. :lol:

erinl

Brilliant_Rock
Laila619|1365722058|3425055 said:
erinl, it's exhausting but in the best possible way, right? :bigsmile:

Maybe not today, but most days!! :wacko:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
LOL, Thing & everybody else with toddler stories. You feel like it will never end but before you know it, those toddlers have kids of their own.

It's easy to criticize somebody else's parenting or child, especially if you don't have kids yourself. I notice that online all the time -- the most hostile comments come from non-parents.

Life's short. If you can't get a giggle out of your little guy's foibles, you'd go nuts.

--- Laurie

charbie

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1365723900|3425073 said:
LOL, Thing & everybody else with toddler stories. You feel like it will never end but before you know it, those toddlers have kids of their own.

It's easy to criticize somebody else's parenting or child, especially if you don't have kids yourself. I notice that online all the time -- the most hostile comments come from non-parents.

Life's short. If you can't get a giggle out of your little guy's foibles, you'd go nuts.

--- Laurie

Truer words were never spoken. While my daughter is only 19 months, I can relate to this tumblr like none other.

She cried last night because she drank all of her 100% organic apple juice from the juice box and was angry I couldn't magically make more juice appear in the box. I mean, come on. It's funny. I gave her water in her favorite sippy. She took one look at the sippy and yelled because it wasn't the juice box. You cannot rationalize with a non-verbal toddler.

And I've posted some of the funniest pictures/videos on my Facebook to share with friends when she's flipping out. For no reason. Sometimes giving them more attention only adds fuel to the fire. Ya just got to record it for posterity sake and move on.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love this blog, this seriously is a glimpse into life with a toddler (or two).

Most of the time my 3yo cries at the most ridiculous, ILLOGICAL things. Mommy I want yogurt. Ok here's some yogurt. NO YOGURT!!!!! *screams and runs* ... if I'm lucky, otherwise he might throw a 5 min tanty. All because I gave him the yogurt. But maybe he wanted to get it. OR maybe it was the wrong flavor.

As someone else said if you can't laugh at it, you might go crazy.

The blogs I am not keen on are the ones that chronicle EVERY thing that a kiddo does, like the one where the kid might have diarrhea and the Mom tells the whole story accompanied by real pics and real names. I mean THAT could suck when you are older--every little tidbit of your life out on the internet. But simple crying pics with one liners, funny.

Another hilarious blog is the Crappy Parenting Blog.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I totally agree with Kenny.

I believe this is a type of bullying by a parent who needs some kind of attention. This person is seeking this attention at the expense of their child's long term mental security. This is so sad.

Yes, all little ones cry. Yes, it is good to keep a healthy perspective about that crying, but to COMPLETELY invalidate your child's feelings in this way is horrid. My seven year old completely flipped out yesterday morning because I set out shorts for him to wear. You see, he didn't want everyone to see his legs. I am talking HUGE crocodile tears, completely shaken, 15 minutes of heart wrenching out and out drama. This boy was distressed. Did I think the other seven year olds children seeing his legs was an issue? NO. But this issue was very real to HIM. He needed love and reassurance. He needed me to sit down with him and hold him and genuinely give him my time. ETA: It is all about perspective for children. As adults, their "dramas" seem small, but their feelings need validation. Their feelings are very real and shouldn't be ridiculed or made fun of, especially on the internet!

You can NOT genuinely provide any kind of real reassurance to your child if you are then turning around and snapping a photo of him, posting it on the internet, and making fun of him. Oh, and all in the name of getting attention or making a buck. :roll: Let's get real here. This isn't effective, kind, loving parenting, no matter what kind of "funny" spin we want to put on it because it entertains us for a moment of our day. This is truly insensitive parenting and these actions will probably have serious ramifications in this poor boy's life.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
princesss|1365681409|3424631 said:
CJ2008|1365656189|3424552 said:
It's funny (I didn't bother to read the captions, but if they are at all like the ones Deejay wrote, they're funny) - but there's still something about it that rubs me the wrong way. Certainly if I was the child and I saw those when I was older I'd think my parents were a little bit aholes to do that.

Yeah - I thought it was really funny at first, but something about it seems...I dunno.

The dad that started it said (on GMA? In an interview with HONY?) that he started this as a way to keep from cluttering peoples newsfeeds and to just share with friends and family. He also said that taking a picture turned out to be the fastest way to distract the kid and keep them from crying.

I think what gets me is that it would be so easy to take a picture of the OBJECT or whatever making the kid cry (which I think would be hilarious - kind of Message In A Bottle-esque) with the caption. I think there are some interesting questions about consent as far as pictures of kids on the internet go, too. I mean, the parent has the right to consent for the child, but what if the child wishes it hadn't happened? I'd be mortified if some of the pictures my parents took of me were on the internet, ESPECIALLY if they'd become a meme.

I also think it says something interesting that when anything to do with parenting comes up, it's assumed to have been the mom that did it. The boys' dad started this, and yet every conversation I've read always includes assumptions that it's the mom that started the account. I know it's not exactly a shocker, but it makes me sad that "parenting" instantly equals "mother."

Excellent post, princesss. As usual. :wacko:

I would hardly think this act alone would be enough to pass judgement on a parent for being a bad one, or unduly insensitive. Too many parents here have come down on the side of FUN-NY, to make me think that laughing at toddler foibles constitutes a character flaw. It's either that or cry yourself from exhaustion, and packing it in isn't an option for the parent of a toddler. Nor do I think this type of picture at this age is going to scar this kid for life, as some here do. People really need to get some perspective on kids - most things are just not that big a deal and don't scar them for life, and every parental action - wise or unwise - is not always a cause for a severe level of hyperbolic hand-wringing judgement. Many a kid has survived the embarrassment of some pretty ghastly photos. Ever been to awkwardfamilyphotos.com? If not, it's worth the trip. Makes those crying pics look tame.

I don't automatically assume that the parents in this case will continue to do this throughout the kids life, either, although like others have noted, something about it seems - off. I think this posting is less a symptom of insensitive parenting, than social media's pernicious effect of stimulating oversharing, of just about every aspect of people's lives - an effect that is particularly strong upon the generations (like the ones having toddlers right now) who have never known real privacy in their lifetime, or imagined a moment where their every thought and impulse, was not of interest to someone. Maybe the best way for these parents to quit "cluttering people's newsfeeds" would be, oh...I dunno...just QUIT posting pics? I'm sure even friends and family are tired of them at this point.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I voted that for not funny and harmful, but I don't necessarily think that it's harmful. I do, however, think that it's not funny, in poor taste, and insensitive. To a degree, crying is a normal part of development. It's not really something that I would make a joke out of. Maybe as the kid gets older, he should start documenting (and sharing) his parents shortcomings and see how they like it...

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
momhappy said:
I voted that for not funny and harmful, but I don't necessarily think that it's harmful. I do, however, think that it's not funny, in poor taste, and insensitive. To a degree, crying is a normal part of development. It's not really something that I would make a joke out of. Maybe as the kid gets older, he should start documenting (and sharing) his parents shortcomings and see how they like it...

Agh, what a horrifying notion - but I can so see it happening. I actually bet it will, as the tech-savvy generation becomes caretakers to their parents, has difficulty coping, and reaches out for support.*

*for what it's worth, I have both a toddler and a pair of aged parents whom I am deeply concerned for. I can totally understand the desire for solidarity ... but I'd just rather find it in a way that doesn't demean them.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe it's because I'm not a parent and therefore hostile to those who are :wink2: , but my first thought was also "ugh!' My first reaction is that this is a case of the parent getting some sort of ego-strokes by posting funny stuff about their kid who is, after all, just being a kid and doing totally age-appropriate stuff.

Then I read all the parents' comment and told myself to just chill, especially if the postings are anonymous.

But do think there is a point at which parents using their kids to get internet chuckles is just wrong. Case in point, Jimmy Kimmel's annual contest in which parents are asked to provoke their kids by telling them that they - the -parents- ate all the kids' halloween candy... and then to record and send in the responses. To me this is just exploitation and wrong, and it could harm the trust between kid and parent.

I realize that people differ, and family dynamics differ, and what's humorous in one situation might be hurtful in another. And at the end of the day, having thought about it some more and read the reactions from some of the real-life mothers here, I'm not as concerned about what Kenny posted. But I also understand why he posted it.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
momhappy|1365888762|3426376 said:
I love it.

BUT, just think about the *true* ramifications of this child's actions for a moment...

I would venture a guess that most would judge this teenager to be disrespectful, terrible, a bad seed, etc. What a double standard!! I would guess that most people (adults) wouldn't see the "humor" in this child's blog at all!

hmmm....

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results