shape
carat
color
clarity

1.16 GIA XXX Upgrade from JA

gixxerbabe

Rough_Rock
Hello,

Last week I received my upgrade from James Allen.

I traded up my old .56 AGS Ideal H&A for this 1.16 GIA XXX. I was a little apprehensive getting a non-H&A stone but after receiving it, I think I did well finding an excellent cut stone without paying the higher price of a graded H&A.

I'm very happy with the stone but I noticed immediately that the setting I received, although a 6-Prong Platinum setting, is not the setting pictured on the JA website. There are many differences in the settings. The prongs are not in the same locations, the ring I received is far less substantial and doesn't seem like a comfort fit at all - it has sharp edges to it and isn't rounded. I brought this to the attention of JA, and they blamed it on the lighting/magnification of the pictures shown on their site. I would be fine with a simple apology, or explanation that they are no longer (or never) making the setting shown on the site. Instead, I felt my intelligence was insulted by simply blaming it on the lighting of the photo. Lightning doesn't magically change prong locations or make a non-comfort fit suddenly round and smooth. Oddly enough, my old setting was exactly as pictured on the website, despite all the filigree work and lightning/magnification differences. :rolleyes:

I don't think it's worth sending the ring back. I don't really care for any of their other settings in my price range, anyway. Too bad because up until this I was very happy with JA's service and products.

Anyway, here are some specs on the stone and a picture of the finished ring.

Carat weight: 1.16
Certificate:GIA
Color: I
Shape: Round
Clarity: SI1
Cut: Excellent
Depth %:61.90
Girdle: Medium-
Table %:56.00
Culet:NN
Polish:Excellent
Symmetry:Excellent
Fluorescence:None
L/W/D (mm): 6.71*6.77*4.17
HCA: 1.4

p3121985_zps77b8e314.jpg

gixxerbabe

Rough_Rock
Another shot. Stone is totally eye clean to me and seems extremely white for an I color.

p3121992_zpsb56bdf38.jpg

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous! Congrats on your upgrade!

SMC

Ideal_Rock
Pretty diamond! Can you share what setting you thought you were getting from JA's site?

gixxerbabe

Rough_Rock
Sure, it's the 6-Prong comfort fit setting in platinum, item 17928P.

I should add that I just received another email from JA's customer service rep who decided to investigate further and he agrees that I made some valid points regarding the differences between the settings being shipped out and the pictures shown on the site. He says he's going to forward my concerns to management, which is about as much as I can ask for at this point. I'm happy he was willing to take a look instead of just giving me excuses.

http://www.jamesallen.com/#!/engage...solitaire-engagement-ring-six-prong-item-7994

SMC

Ideal_Rock
I see. Well, it's good that they are looking into it! I hope that they can fix it for you!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry your upgrade was dampened a bit by the setting snafu :sick: . I'm glad you called it to their attention and that they are now taking it seriously, because there are definitely differences between the settings. It's pretty obvious the prong placement is different.

Your new diamond is gorgeous! :appl: What a wonderful upgrade, you must be so excited. I love upgrades, even when they're not mine! :cheeky: And I think the current setting is very pretty, even if it wasn't quite what you were expecting.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hopefully they will get the setting taken care of for you, because that beautiful stone deserves a beautiful setting to show it off in!

gixxerbabe

Rough_Rock
ame|1363824601|3409951 said:
Hopefully they will get the setting taken care of for you, because that beautiful stone deserves a beautiful setting to show it off in!

Unfortunately I don't think I really have any options but to keep the setting they sent me. JA doesn't have any other options for a plain, 6-Prong platinum setting. I like the Tiffany replica but it's nearly twice the price and I don't want knife edge because it wouldn't work with my bands. The only other setting I would consider is one of their halos with pave shanks but that's too much money for us right now. Maybe in the future.

Luckily it works okay with the bands I wear my e-ring with so I'm just going to keep it. An accurate representation of the items would be helpful when buying online, especially considering the importance and price of these settings.

The setting JA is sending out looks almost exactly like this one offered by Blue Nile for nearly $200 less. :nono:

http://www.bluenile.com/solitaire-diamond-engagement-ring-platinum_2

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results