shape
carat
color
clarity

bezel earring/dbty necklace questions

Okie_girl

Shiny_Rock
Hello all-

I am looking to reset some earrings, they are currently in yellow gold basket type settings and I would like to bezel them in white gold. Some bezeled earrings have a martini-style back (where the basket meets the post of the earring). I'm concerned that that would be uncomfortable, can anyone who has that type of earring (doesn't have to be bezeled, just martini) weigh in and let me know the comfort level? I'm not one to take my earrings off except for cleaning, so I'm especially interested in input from those of you who might sleep with your earrings in.

My other project is a graduated dbty necklace. I was thinking about 16", but I'd like it to sit at the base of my neck and not hang down too far. Should I go shorter than 16"? Lobster clasp or spring clasp?

Thanks in advance for your help!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You might need to try on some other necklaces you have that would be the right length and measure them. 16"would be right for me if I wanted it right at the base of my neck, but it depends on your neck size, I guess! I'd probably discouraged a graduated dby, though, because it would kind of drive me nuts when it migrates around and doesn't look right. If all the diamonds are the same size, you don't have that problem.

Okie_girl

Shiny_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1363750354|3409225 said:
You might need to try on some other necklaces you have that would be the right length and measure them. 16"would be right for me if I wanted it right at the base of my neck, but it depends on your neck size, I guess! I'd probably discouraged a graduated dby, though, because it would kind of drive me nuts when it migrates around and doesn't look right. If all the diamonds are the same size, you don't have that problem.

All my necklaces are 18", so I cut a piece of string that was 16" and it seemed a tad bit long to me. I guess I have a bit of a skinny neck! I see what you mean about the graduated diamond size, but these are all very sentimental stones to me, so unless I go a different direction altogether, that's what I'm stuck with. I was looking for a way to use 5 stones that all mean a lot to me, and that seemed to make sense. Maybe that's not the best idea, though!

katiedid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Okie_girl,
I have martini style and bezel style earrings. They are both very comfortable, but I hate sleeping in earrings, as they poke behind my ears. I've thought about using those rubbery backs to see if that makes a difference, but to me, earrings get gunked up when you wear them all the time, so I just take them off. I also tend to change earrings daily, so I don't mind removing them at night.

I just ordered a DBTY necklace, and I already have one with sapphires. Both will be 16", which when it hangs is a tad long, but they tend to migrate up to the base of my neck. 18" was very long on me. I'm getting 7 stones, all the same size, as it would drive me nuts to have it twist around and the larger one would be off center. But I'm OCD like that! :twirl:

Okie_girl

Shiny_Rock
katiedid|1363783871|3409464 said:
Hi Okie_girl,
I have martini style and bezel style earrings. They are both very comfortable, but I hate sleeping in earrings, as they poke behind my ears. I've thought about using those rubbery backs to see if that makes a difference, but to me, earrings get gunked up when you wear them all the time, so I just take them off. I also tend to change earrings daily, so I don't mind removing them at night.

I just ordered a DBTY necklace, and I already have one with sapphires. Both will be 16", which when it hangs is a tad long, but they tend to migrate up to the base of my neck. 18" was very long on me. I'm getting 7 stones, all the same size, as it would drive me nuts to have it twist around and the larger one would be off center. But I'm OCD like that! :twirl:

Katiedid, thanks for chiming in! Thanks for your opinion about the earrings. Yes, they do get gunked up when I wear them all the time, but I guess I am too lazy to take them out at night!

I saw your thread about your dbty necklace, I can't wait to see yours. I know what you mean about it migrating around, but I keep thinking about this thread. [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/bgd-graduated-dbty-necklace.178637/..']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/bgd-graduated-dbty-necklace.178637/....[/URL]. Efriede mentions that the weight of the larger stone seems to keep it all in place a little better. Maybe I should rethink the spacing, and have the stones more to the front of the necklace than evenly spaced. I don't know, maybe the whole idea isn't such a great one.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okie your pieces are going to be beautiful, that's a lovely way to honour her ::)

I've had a couple of types of martinis and I much prefer the sort where the basket meets the post in a curved U vs. a sharp V. I found I had to jam the Vs into my holes and tightly wedge the backs on to keep them perky - the flatter bases of the Us help keep them upright without putting the backs on so tightly..

untitled_4.png

Okie_girl

Shiny_Rock
Yssie|1363792923|3409558 said:
Okie your pieces are going to be beautiful, that's a lovely way to honour her ::)

I've had a couple of types of martinis and I much prefer the sort where the basket meets the post in a curved U vs. a sharp V. I found I had to jam the Vs into my holes and tightly wedge the backs on to keep them perky - the flatter bases of the Us help keep them upright without putting the backs on so tightly..

untitled_4.png

Yssie, that's exactly what I wanted to know about the earrings. I think I remember seeing some colored stone earrings that you had made for your SIL that were sort of rounded on the back, and that picture is really what made me think about the backs of the earrings. I've also read that some people have found the martini back to be a little uncomfortable, even stretching the piercing holes a little bit. Thanks so much for your comments (all of them!).

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think Tiffany and Brian Gavin make them with the curved back, which I also think looks more comfortable and won't stretch the ear hole when put on tightly. I would not buy the pointed base martini's myself.

I now understand why you want to do the dby with the different size stones. I think that is a sweet idea to use the stones that way!

Efriede

Shiny_Rock
Hi! :wavey: i think the idea of graduated dbty is wonderful. I absolutely love mine and can say that again: my necklace never migrates so the clasp is in front. The center stone is maybe sometimes 2-3 cm off the center. I also have 16 inches necklace and it is a tad longer for my taste but I am afraid if I make it just a little be shorter the weighting effect of the stones in front will be diminished and the necklace will spin more. The neck part of the necklace is getting higher to my back after a while, pulling the stones in front higher so that I like hiw they sit.

What sizes stomes do you have? I personally would not do the graduated design with much smaller stones, because the effect could be very different. Also, if I do it all over again, I would only change one thing: do the ears on the center stone at 10 and 2 o clock, imstead of 9 and 3.

Okie_girl

Shiny_Rock
Efriede|1363808287|3409771 said:
Hi! :wavey: i think the idea of graduated dbty is wonderful. I absolutely love mine and can say that again: my necklace never migrates so the clasp is in front. The center stone is maybe sometimes 2-3 cm off the center. I also have 16 inches necklace and it is a tad longer for my taste but I am afraid if I make it just a little be shorter the weighting effect of the stones in front will be diminished and the necklace will spin more. The neck part of the necklace is getting higher to my back after a while, pulling the stones in front higher so that I like hiw they sit.

What sizes stomes do you have? I personally would not do the graduated design with much smaller stones, because the effect could be very different. Also, if I do it all over again, I would only change one thing: do the ears on the center stone at 10 and 2 o clock, imstead of 9 and 3.

Efriede! I'm so glad you commented, your lovely necklace is what got me thinking about the graduated dbty. My stones are .1, .13, .25, .3 (honestly, I'm not sure of the size of this stone, it's in the .3 to .4 range), .25, .13, and .1. I'm hoping that mine, like yours, won't migrate too much. Did you space your stones 2 inches apart?

Efriede

Shiny_Rock
Your stones sizes sound like a wonderful graduation. Just like mine, only I dont have the 10s. My spacing is 2 inches apart. And this is anther point that I would have changed. It is a bit too much for me. 1.25-1.5 inches spacing would have been perfect. I consider adding 4 stones in between my existing stations, but not sure I like 1 inch spacing with 4 mm stones. Still need to think over this one :Up_to_something:

Your option of 7 stones sounds like a dream combination to me. :naughty: you can do 1.25-1.5 spacing and have more stones, hence more weight in front than mine combination. That couod help to anchor the necklace even more. Another point is decision of the metal. My is in platinum, so the bezeled part is quite substantinal and contributed to statying central. For this graduated design I would strongly suggest using platinum. And of course the ears position on the center stone, that I mentioned above.

I am very glad to help and share my experience! Cant wait to see what you decide! :wavey:

Okie_girl

Shiny_Rock
Efriede, thanks again for the information! So, your necklace has 5 stones, right? If you spaced them 1.5 to 1.75 inches apart, you'd have some chain towards the back that wouldn't have any stones. Is that correct? I'm assuming since your necklace stays put pretty well, that wouldn't be a point of concern, because it would likely be covered by your hair. I really am adding the 2 .10s because I thought I wanted the stones evenly spaced. Since I have them, I may as well use them, but I'm going to give some more thought to the spacing.

Thanks again for your help! :wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results