carat
color
clarity

My new Luk-Yen Blue Spinel

ChrisA222

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Minou,

Well..Im not sure. I need to see what happens with the second stone, to see how it I could do something with the two of them. So, I wouldn't do melee..and, metal detailwork is interesting. I will pick up this conversation when the second stone is cut so I know what I have to work with. That could end up being anything from the same shape, to a completely different shape, to nothing at all. It has a lot of inclusions so I want to see what happens with it. I guess I wouldn't 'have' to set two of them together, but I do think thats the way I would go if the second stone works out.

So right now, who knows. Ive changed my mind four times already and that was when I only had one stone to consider, haha.

I appreciate you explaining your post though, because I catch myself not paying attention sometimes. I do like lots of different styles when it comes to a ring for myself, the exception being the halos/melee look.

The cutter had a couple other interesting thoughts about the second stone too, depending on the inclusions. He mentioned Rose-Cutting it in the same shape/size as the first, or maybe even leaving the crystal face natural and then creating a flat pavillion of some kind. The second rough has some nice natural crystal faces. I donthave a picture or I would post it. So whatever he/we decide with the stone will help me figure out the ring. It is all very exciting.

Thanks everyone for the compliments. I really appreciate it :)

sphenequeen

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Chris...

You did not give my hopes up! I am happy for you and your find. Thank you for sharing the vendor information with me - I really appreciate it and hopefully, he can get more material in the future.

sphenequeen

Brilliant_Rock
Chris... You lucky devil! I contacted bob and he said he doubts he will ever come across the material again. I told him to keep me in mind if for some ungodly reason you don't love the second stone. ;))

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Being that the second piece of rough is included, have you considered having it cabbed? This way, the inclusions will be less visible and you get to maximize the carat weight and size without sacrificing the colour.

ChrisA222

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Chrono-I did! That is also in the mix. Im just going to have to try to be patient and wait for Jean to tell me what he thinks the best course of action is. Im generally more interested in a rose-cut over a cab, if both options present themselves. He also mentioned doing something with it leaving the natural crystal exposed. That might be a bit too "modern" for me...but we will see. I have no idea. Im just excited and impatient. haha!

sphenequeen

Brilliant_Rock
two_stone_ring.jpg

Hi Chris,

When I mentioned that I think you should cut a diamond in the same shape as your spinel, this is what I had in mind, albeit a masculine version. I just love how the stones set off each other.

What do you think?

ChrisA222

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I am all for the idea of a diamond in the same shape...it could work. Right now, I am waiting for Jean-Noel to let me know what he thinks of the rough of the second Spinel and what the best course of action is. Once that is figured out, I'll know what I have to work with.

Thanks for the idea....

Im wondering if he can cut the new spinel in the same shape but smaller, then I could maybe do a three stone with a diamond as the middle-sized stone? Not sure...lets wait and see what the story is....

sphenequeen

Brilliant_Rock
Can't wait to see what he says!

Shushinator

Rough_Rock
sphenequeen|1363111129|3402952 said:
two_stone_ring.jpg

Hi Chris,

When I mentioned that I think you should cut a diamond in the same shape as your spinel, this is what I had in mind, albeit a masculine version. I just love how the stones set off each other.

What do you think?

Just fyi Chris, i might die or kill for this ring with your spinel in it. LOVE it. :appl: Ive been finding some great designs for funky cut stones lately and this one of Sphenequeen's is going on my list.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results