shape
carat
color
clarity

Etsy- beware!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
I have not posted much recently, as life has taken over (and honestly, it makes jewelry seem a lot less important.. sometimes!)

Still, I thought it was important to make people aware about etsy, as many PSers spend real money there, including jewelry (myself included.)

The long story-
Last October, I made a purchase of around $100 on etsy for decorations for my son's 2nd birthday party. The seller was responsive and lovely, with 100% positive feedback. She was to ship them about two weeks before his party. The proposed ship date came and went. I emailed her within a few days without response. I soon realized that she had stopped delivering product, based on her recent feedback. At this point, it was only two weeks out from his birthday party and I scrambled and found someone else to do them.
About a week before the party, the seller magically reappeared and said my decorations were done and ready to ship (quite doubtful.) I asked that she cancel the transaction and refund my money as she had not kept to her end of the agreement. Well, she canceled the transaction but shockingly did not refund my money.

Within a few days, I contacted etsy regarding the problem. They responded to wait and see if the refund arrived in my paypal account. If not, they would contact the seller on my behalf. Again, quite shockingly -- no refund. Etsy made no attempt to follow-up with me after. I wrote again that there was no refund. They asked for the transaction number as they could not find it (???) which I provided.
Some week and a half later, I had to write again to ask for an update (sense a pattern here?) They replied three days later that they were still investigating the "cancellation."

Finally, they thanked me for my patience! Ohhhh right. And said they reversed the cancellation so I could officially report the problem. Seriously, what have I been doing for the past month here? So I did as they asked and filed a case.

Then nothing... holidays... nothing... nothing. Earlier this week, I wrote again to ask for an update. They replied with a shocking email that my case had never been filed. (????????) It was too late based on their policies and I could contact my credit card company (paid with paypal) and Internet Crime Complaint Center. I replied that surely they were confused; clearly I had first contacted them well over a month ago regarding this problem. In chasing them around for a resolution, they did not even allow me to file an official case until beyond their timeline. Their next very pleasant email, from a "senior" member told me the time to file a case had expired and this decision was final. And thus, my warning here to all of your lovely PSers.

I truly have never received such ridiculous or awful customer service. Beyond the money, I am furious about my wasted time. And this is the service after spending nearly $2000 there over the past couple years. Never again! It is unfortunate, too, as there are some great sellers there.

The short story-
Etsy apparently has no big problem allowing fraudulent sellers. Their customer service is atrocious, at best . There was no attempt to right the situation and all contact was initiated and forced by me. Obviously, they will never see my money again. Be careful, ladies!

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Honestly, Etsy administration is a disaster. My advice is to pay with Paypal (they take these cases seriously and will defend your interests).

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
Oh, wow, I am so sorry icekid! Thank you for this post. There are a lot of women on another board that I read that buy their engagement rings and wedding bands from etsy. Knowing that etsy does nothing for the consumer for protection will absolutely keep me from buying from them!

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Feb03Bride|1357865877|3352617 said:
Oh, wow, I am so sorry icekid! Thank you for this post. There are a lot of women on another board that I read that buy their engagement rings and wedding bands from etsy. Knowing that etsy does nothing for the consumer for protection will absolutely keep me from buying from them!

You don't have to go that far, just protect yourself in other ways (credit card, Paypal) as you would if you were buying from a brick and mortar store or eBay. There are a lot of excellent people on Etsy!

iLander

Ideal_Rock
This is good info, thank you.

I've purchased from DanielM and Xidni on Etsy, but nothing big. Both vendors were excellent.

But I had no idea that their administration was such a bunch of slackers. You kind of get that impression from the site, though, don't you?

LD-In the future, I will definitely used Paypal, good tip.

ETA: LD- is there a thread on your avatar ring?

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh wow Icekid what a nightmare! thank you for the warning and I am sorry that happened to you and awful about Etsy. :nono:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So sorry this happened to you, Icekid. Thank you for sharing, I hear so much positive feedback about Etsy but it's good to hear the negative as well. I don't really like Paypal for various reasons, but I will keep your story in mind if I ever decide to purchase something from an Etsy vendor.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

:wavey: Icekid!! Nice to hear from you--hope your family and job/practice are well! Thanks for the heads-up on Etsy.

cheers--Sharon

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
:wavey: Ice!!!!!!!! I miss you:) Glad you stopped by!

Ugh re Etsy customer service! Definitely use Paypal and be careful. I have several vendors there that I shop from frequently and trust, but even with them I use paypal.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh icekid, how INFURIATING! I'm so sorry. Shame on that seller.

Is there anything else you can do now? Can you still dispute it with Paypal?

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
iLander|1357870611|3352687 said:
This is good info, thank you.

I've purchased from DanielM and Xidni on Etsy, but nothing big. Both vendors were excellent.

But I had no idea that their administration was such a bunch of slackers. You kind of get that impression from the site, though, don't you?

LD-In the future, I will definitely used Paypal, good tip.

ETA: LD- is there a thread on your avatar ring?

Have you read the forums? If not, don't! It gets ugly quickly. Unfortunately, it is still a good traffic generator, in a way that other marketplaces are. I would be happier if their administration was truly professional, though. They often seem to wonder into tangents, instead of focusing on the important issues.

Sorry, no thread on my avatar, as it could be misinterpreted as advertising/spam. It is a ring I made for myself when I got fed up with the fact that I sold all the nice things I made and kept the rejects (not perfect for sale but too good to just tear apart and melt down). The shank is 2mm silver, with gold prongs and a small colour change garnet from Multicolour.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so sorry about your terrible experience. Etsy is is a place where good and not so good vendors use as a medium to sell their items. Although Etsy claims this and that on their policy page, I've seen vendors there sell ready-made settings from China such as those from LOGR as their own with Etsy not caring in spite of their policy that all goods advertised must be made themselves. I hope PayPal will assist you with the refund. I don't like PP for certain reasons but so far, they have been helpful in mediating a contested charge / refund for me.

erinl

Brilliant_Rock
For the last 6 months or so I have been selling a number of items on both etsy and ebay. Ebay takes a huge cut out of your profit every step of the way, but their automated system is pretty good. Even if I am not checking up on and maintaining my store every day, were I to sell something, I would get an immediate email notification and follow up messages.

I have been selling old sewing patterns on etsy. I only have about 20 listed since the process of posting pictures, editing pictures, writing description pricing, etc is so time consuming. So my etsy store was my secondary store, and I don't log on every day. I had a 3 dollar pattern sell, and I received no notification, and when I logged onto my store I had to search for the sale-- it was not automatic by any stretch of the imagination and it was really hidden. I ended up overlooking the sale of a 3 dollar pattern-- for over a month! I was mortified and sent the pattern to the customer free of any charge (she hadn't paid yet so it wasn't like i took the money and ran) due to my horrible oversight, but etsy had some hand in it too.

I understand the seller was in contact with you and just didn't deliver the goods, so it is a different story. However, etsy's lackadaisical approach is not helpful!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh no, Icekid, sorry this happened to you. Sounds so stressful.

I've only purchased one thing off from an Etsy seller - I just bought a stacking band for my wedding set and it wasn't made that well so I am hesitant to buy anything else from there. The seller had 100% feedback. You just never know!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It almost sounds like etsy admin were in cahoots, but I know thats farfetched. I don't understand how they could claim that you had filed no claim - what were you doing with them for all that time? If that doesn't count as a filing, what does? Do they require snail mail paperwork? Thank you for the warning and I'm really sorry you had to work so hard with no positive outcome.

April20

Ideal_Rock
Can i ask a question? Did you email Etsy regarding the issue or did you open a case? On your receipt there is now a link to "report an issue" with the transaction that is available for instances when the seller is not responsive. There is a cap on when these can be filed (maybe 45 days?). If you did not use the case option, I would highly recommend doing so for anyone IF the seller is not responding. This will get the case reviewed by a case manager if the seller cannot provide tracking that shows delivery.

Etsy is just a venue. They leave individual sellers to run their business and do not get involved very often. I believe paying via PayPal provides better protection for buyers as it relates to getting money back when transactions go south.

There are a lot of good sellers and a handfull of bad. I get that a few bad apples ruin the whole bunch and that Etsy admin can be a hot mess. They do need to improve.

I have two very active shops (sold about 8000 items last year) and there have been a couple times when I've nearly missed an order due to volume but there is just no excuse for a seller to treat you as they did. If they could not fill your order they should have cancelled it immediatley. Refunding your money, be it thru direct check out or PayPal, is about three clicks and two minutes worth of time. Absolutely no excuse for their behaviour.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Lady_Disdain- There are so many wonderful etsy sellers! What a shame that the site is run by clowns.

erin- It sounds like you have experienced the joy of etsy too! I am hoping that some of the vendors with whom I would like to continue to do business can be accessed outside of etsy.

Chrono- I think you are correct re: etsy really not caring about staying true to what their policies. I am in contact with paypal now! It seemed to me at first that it was appropriate to try to resolve within etsy, but apparently they have no interest in doing this.

April- At first, I could not "open a case" because the seller had cancelled the transaction. It took etsy over 45 days to reinstate the transaction so that I could actually file a case. Apparently being in contact with them regarding the situation for over a month was not enough.

minous- Honestly, that is what it seems like! Let's screw around long enough so that nothing can actually be done. Who operates this way?

Laila- Yep, I just filed with paypal but am worried they will say it was too long ago now too!

Bella- Miss you too! I still lurk over yonder and love seeing updates about the young Mr. B :appl:

Sharon- Good to hear from you too! The family is thriving and I am settling into my first grown-up job pretty nicely ;))

Monnie- I am with you on not loving paypal, but hopefully I am better off for having used them in this case!

iLander- Actually, you are right. Etsy's website really does not read as the best run place around!

Feb- That is what I was most worried about! This was not a large dollar transaction, but with people buying real jewelry there it is a real risk!

And in update, I have realized that my lovely seller is continuing to sell under another name on etsy under the name paperpeddler. Moreover, when I filed the paypal claim, her phone number was right there for me to use ;)) Doubt that will happen, though! I am considering it though, because after filing with paypal, I got a message that "this type of transaction" is not eligible for paypal dispute resolution.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
This is by no means the first serious complaint I have heard against the admin of etsy. That site has turned into a joke - everything is supposed to be handmade, but it is beyond simple to see that half of the listed products are mass produced. I've seen so many comparisons of these 'handmade' items that are IDENTICAL to mass made crap, straight from Chinese sellers for a tenth of the price. And the admin does absolutely NOTHING about it. :nono:

I am sorry for your poor experience. ;(

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
justginger|1357997484|3353746 said:
This is by no means the first serious complaint I have heard against the admin of etsy. That site has turned into a joke - everything is supposed to be handmade, but it is beyond simple to see that half of the listed products are mass produced. I've seen so many comparisons of these 'handmade' items that are IDENTICAL to mass made crap, straight from Chinese sellers for a tenth of the price. And the admin does absolutely NOTHING about it. :nono:

Did you read about the Ecologica Malibu fiasco? Do a quick search on google (Regretsy has the full story).

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Lady_Disdain|1358002265|3353777 said:

Did you read about the Ecologica Malibu fiasco? Do a quick search on google (Regretsy has the full story).

Aha! Another fat, jealous loser! :lol: I've been on Regretsy and CF4L for ages now, they've got the best examples of how much Etsy sucks.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
justginger|1358003867|3353791 said:
Lady_Disdain|1358002265|3353777 said:

Aha! Another fat, jealous loser! :lol: I've been on Regretsy and CF4L for ages now, they've got the best examples of how much Etsy sucks.

I'm a FJL too! CF4L baby!

I'm not surprised that Etsy didn't back you up. I think they can be a great place, just like ebay, but I don't trust the admin.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yup, fat and jealous! :lol:

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Icekid:

So you to have found out that paypal limits the kinds of transactions they "insure" Most people never picked up on that even though its clearly stated in their rules (which have changed a number of times - and every change decreases what they could be responsible for).

The best protection you have is to use a CC for all transactions.

While I have a paypal account - it only charges one of my credit cards; so I can always reverse charges at the credit card level (Paypal hates that but they have no choice in the matter).

I do not - have any bank accounts linked to paypal (and have only done so for a couple hours at a time to transfer money from paypal into my bank).

By not using a bank account - I am limited to a lifetime limit of $10,000 of purchases via paypal (or that was the policy a decade ago). After about a decade I am about half way through that limit. I now only use paypal for purchases that have no other real option - and prefer to pay directly with a CC. Most of my purchases were early on about 10 years ago when I did not understand the restrictions.

I wish all of you the best,

Perry

April20

Ideal_Rock

Resellers are a HUGE problem that they do not deal with quickly enough.

The other reason that you see so many "identical" items is because Etsy's definition of handmade also includes hand assembled. This includes putting a charm on a chain. So a seller can buy a mass produced charm, put it on a mass produced chain and that is Etsy legal for handmade. There's a lot of cool truly handmade items available, but you do have to hunt thru the junk.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
perry|1358012438|3353889 said:
Icekid:

So you to have found out that paypal limits the kinds of transactions they "insure" Most people never picked up on that even though its clearly stated in their rules (which have changed a number of times - and every change decreases what they could be responsible for).

The best protection you have is to use a CC for all transactions.

While I have a paypal account - it only charges one of my credit cards; so I can always reverse charges at the credit card level (Paypal hates that but they have no choice in the matter).

I do not - have any bank accounts linked to paypal (and have only done so for a couple hours at a time to transfer money from paypal into my bank).

By not using a bank account - I am limited to a lifetime limit of $10,000 of purchases via paypal (or that was the policy a decade ago). After about a decade I am about half way through that limit. I now only use paypal for purchases that have no other real option - and prefer to pay directly with a CC. Most of my purchases were early on about 10 years ago when I did not understand the restrictions.

I wish all of you the best,

Perry

Perry, I was unaware of a limit imposed on those who pay via CC. Perhaps because I do have a bank account linked....but it is one that is out of use now, closed. I always select my nominated CC when I pay for items - and the rare occasions I am refunded for something, I leave the balance until I want to spend it on something else. No need to take the risk of linking in an account.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Is there a list of trusted etsy vendors somewhere? I think that the colored stones forum has list of trusted vendors, could we do one for etsy as well?

Zarina

Rough_Rock
I am new to PS and have SO enjoyed everything I have seen and learned......I have been considering purchasing several different things on Etsy and was not sure about the safety of this form of buying.
I appreciate knowing that it is something to be cautious about!
There are too many lovely things to admire on this site but, my ABSOLUTE favourite is your amazing colour change sapphire :love:
Your ring is totally was to die for!! I actually contacted Barry Bridgestock to see if he would keep an eye out for a sapphire that could come as close to yours as possible!! I hope you don't mind -- imitation is the highest form of flattery - should you ever decide that it is time for something new, I would be beyond thrilled to have a chance to see that colour in person!
I see that you are expecting your second child --- what a wonderful time for you. I wish you every happiness :wavey:

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
So sorry you went through that.
I shop on Etsy quite frequently and have had nothing but the most pleasant transactions and sellers. I have purchased everything from an authentic vintage Chanel clutch to a set of custom diamond stacking rings. I've never had so much as a hiccup, but I am certainly aware that there are dishonest sellers out there.

Zarina

Rough_Rock
oops :roll: My post yesterday was directed to Icekid ....... upon looking at it, it seemed unclear whose sapphire and upcoming bundle of joy I was referring to -- sorry! - just a newbie

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Zarina|1362546940|3397692 said:
I am new to PS and have SO enjoyed everything I have seen and learned......I have been considering purchasing several different things on Etsy and was not sure about the safety of this form of buying.
I appreciate knowing that it is something to be cautious about!
There are too many lovely things to admire on this site but, my ABSOLUTE favourite is your amazing colour change sapphire :love:
Your ring is totally was to die for!! I actually contacted Barry Bridgestock to see if he would keep an eye out for a sapphire that could come as close to yours as possible!! I hope you don't mind -- imitation is the highest form of flattery - should you ever decide that it is time for something new, I would be beyond thrilled to have a chance to see that colour in person!
I see that you are expecting your second child --- what a wonderful time for you. I wish you every happiness :wavey:

Zarina, No worries and thanks for the congrats and compliments on the sapphire. As luck would have it, I actually am contemplating listing my sapphire. It just has not been getting the wear it deserves lately. I still do love it though, and am on the fence. Keep an eye on preloved if you are so inclined :))

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results