shape
carat
color
clarity

Candles

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

yellowfan

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Everyone:

Wondering which candles are your favorites? I''ve recently purchased some Tocca candles and wanted recommendations on other brands for gifts for friends. I love the triple scented ones at Pier 1. I have noticed kits with stress relief sand gardens too, the proper name escapes me at the moment.

Thanks All!

Lori/yellowfan

iceprincess

Shiny_Rock
I especially like candles made from real essential oils. My current favorites are from Illuminations. I can''t buy enough of the tuberose, pomegrante, lilly of the valley, and rose. I put them all over my treatment rooms in my clinic and my patients just love them!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh yes, illuminations candles.......the best!!

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
I like Tocca a lot, but I guess it depends how much you want to spend, when i was in France I bought back Dyptique candles for people. They''re pretty trendy lately and some smell really nice! On the lower end, I''ve also bought some cute sets at places like Pier One and Bed Bath & Beyond.

chantal990

Shiny_Rock
I love the Body Shop. I am not sure if you have them in the US but they are really great especially the moonflower scented ones

yellowfan

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks everyone!

I will check out the Illuminations candles and bodyshop. Lately, I''ve been addicted to Tocca, but Lily of the Valley by Illuminations sounds so good!

Lori/yellowfan

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't believe I saw "candles" as the title of a thread! I am a candle collector extraordinaire!!! I have some notes in my drawer on the candles (and soaps) I like best. Your mileage may vary, of course. I like very heavily scented candles. Do you also buy tarts to melt in tart melters? I do, and have some notes on them, too.

I love the strong pumpkin scented pillar candles from Remeli Enterprises: Remeli Enterprises. Primitive Fixins' "pumpkin cheesecake" jumbo tart melts are also strong and wonderful: Primitive Fixins. "Keepers of the Light" candles, which I buy through "A Cheerful Giver", are exquisite: A Cheerful Giver.

The "Toasted Marshmallow" scented sachet by [email protected] on eBay is truly divine. It is not overly perfume-y (which makes me sick): somethinspecial. It comes in a beautiful little organza bag.

My favorite soaps are angel food (in the shape of a bundt cake) by Stephanie of Primitve Fixins (link posted above). Also good (and much smaller and more manageable) is southern pecan pie by countrypotpourri.com. This is *very* long lasting!

I listed primarily the candles I used in the autumn, but at Christmas I put out 6 or 8 electric tart melters with a strong "spiked eggnog" scent for a party. Heavenly!

I have bought a lot of candles on eBay (and a lot off the 'net but not off eBay). Yankee Candles is the only store at which I ever find anything I like.

Deborah

PS-Many of the smaller companies will make soaps, candles, and tarts for tart burners to order for no more than the usual cost! If you like a certain soap and want to try it in a candle, for instance, the vendor will be happy to oblige!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am a huge candle fanatic. I even mentioned these goodies as one of my things I spend too much money on on that Diamond Hangout post :) lol

I''m going to have to check out these mentioned ones. . .I actually go through a ton of candles and purchase most of mine at Yankee Candles. Another shop I purchase from is a local maker who pours their candles on site and they smell FABULOUS! It''s fun to find local crafts'' people who make their goods.

I''m actually going to start making candles and selling them! lol I decided to turn an obsession into a profession
9.gif
Hopefully I become rich and famous and can open up my own shop! lol

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I also am a huge candle nut, but I'm SUPER picky about my candles. For example I can't stand most of Yankee Candle stuff and/or Illuminations, way too skinky for my nose and alot of the scents seem too offensive to me in terms of strength and authenticity (aka that does NOT smell like pumpkin pie!). For me to really like a candle it has to smell like what it is called...hehee.

So my absolute favorites are the Illuminations Aromatherapy line, it may have changed in the last year or so but my faves were the Lemon-Verbena, Tangerine, and of course, Lavender. I found those all to be very authentic in their scent matching the actual plant/fruit/flower...and strong enough to scent the area/room but not overpower it. I also detest when candles DON'T SMELL when they are not burning! I love it when just the candle smells, I don't even have to burn them all the time!

Other faves...Votivo, I love the Lavender hand-poured small one and for the tall ones Red Currant is my absolute favorite. They are great as holiday gifts for friends and family.

Also, my girlfriend got me the Monogram candle as a gift last year (I can't recall who makes these but some boutiques have them and I have seen them online at a store...I think it was something like a shopbop.com) but it has a big Monogram on the glass and each letter is a different smell. The 'M' is something like Mango-somethingorother and it's divine...very strong but light at the same time so it's not overpowering.

I also like Tocca, but can't recall the scent I like...it's another flowery type scent.

My only beef is that these candles are SO expensive, the Tocca are like $32, Votivo are $25 and Monogram was about $30 too. So I tend to not burn them as much as I would if they were not as expensive, since I can't justify spending on candles every month. So my candles tend to last me about 3-4 months rather than 1 month like they would if I burned them all the time. I am famous for having new, unburned candles all over the house. My girlfriend tells me that is bad luck...hehee. I also have a 'decor' closet where I put all the various seasonal stuff I don't use and I have a bunch of new unused candles in there as well.

I love going on eBay to find deals on the candles, esp the Illuminations ones..I have definitely saved some $$ doing that and that is why I have so many stored in the closet! I think my best deal was something like 4 of the Lavender Aromatherapy Illuminations ones for $14 when in reality they are $7 EACH at the store.

yellowfan

Brilliant_Rock
Mara,

I know what you mean about Tocca, I just ordered one of every scent they have on Sephora. I love their smell. I haven''t tried Illuminations yet, but I love the lemon verbena smell, so I will probably buy it for the kitchen! My husband thinks its okay, but I love candles as a relaxation tool and mine burn all the time! My daughter loves them too.

AGBF: I just got a simmer pot last year and I have the wine variety of Colonial Candles "tarts"to burn in them, so far it smells great! They honestly fill the entire room. I am looking for different "tart" burners, so if you know where to get a better looking one please let me know. I currently have a plain one that is using tealight candles.

Thanks Candle Lovers!
Lori-yellow

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/9/2005 12:18
6.gif
8 AM
Author: yellowfan

AGBF: I just got a simmer pot last year and I have the wine variety of Colonial Candles ''tarts''to burn in them, so far it smells great! They honestly fill the entire room. I am looking for different ''tart'' burners, so if you know where to get a better looking one please let me know. I currently have a plain one that is using tealight candles.

Hiya, Lori-

I have some elegant glass tart burners for parties. They use burning candles. I have many "primitive" (i.e. country) cut tin ones (that are electric) for the kitchen, the den, and more "everyday" uses. Although I don''t go too far even from an electric tart burner, I feel a great deal safer using them than using the open flame. I dare to wander around for 15 minutes with an electric one on. If I am burning a candle I can leave the room for only about 3 minutes without panic.

Some of the websites I mentioned above may have the tin ones. I will take a look when I get the chance.

Deb

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/8/2005 8:29:35 PM
Author: Mara
I also am a huge candle nut, but I'm SUPER picky about my candles. For example I can't stand most of Yankee Candle stuff and/or Illuminations, way too skinky for my nose and alot of the scents seem too offensive to me in terms of strength and authenticity (aka that does NOT smell like pumpkin pie!). For me to really like a candle it has to smell like what it is called...hehee.

Mara-

I have become super picky, too, but my criteria differ from yours. I have to like the scent, but it also must be *VERY* strong. I love the smell of real lilacs. If you ever find a strongly scented candle that smells like *real* lilacs, please let me know!!!

Deb

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Question for fellow candle fanatics. . .have you purchased or would you ever consider buying a Hemp candle?

Thanks!

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
I am not a real candle afficianado but I do like to be able to smell them when they are burning. Surprisingly I have found some in Whole Foods that are great! I''ll try the Illuminations that everyone is raving about as well.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here''s a new one! I guess it''s a variation on a tart and tart warmer, in that no tart warmer is needed; one uses his oven! Doesn''t that look edible?

Cinnamon Bun

Deb

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In case the auction ends, here is a picture of the candle in question. I would assume, as with all specialty candles made by individuals, that if the auction ends and someone wants this made up, that he can contact the seller!

Deb

cinnbun.JPG

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
7.gif
Nobody answered my hemp candle question. . . I was hoping to get some feedback since I''m trying to make these kinds of candles.

yellowfan

Brilliant_Rock
AGBF:

I couldnt find any tart burners on the sites you listed. Let me know where you ordered yours! Thanks!

Michelle:

Believe it or not ive never seen a hemp candle, but will check it out!
21.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/10/2005 1
6.gif
6.gif
2 PM
Author: MichelleCarmen
7.gif
Nobody answered my hemp candle question. . . I was hoping to get some feedback since I''m trying to make these kinds of candles.
i don''t know anything about hemp candles.....how are they different? i would be interested in finding out more about them......

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry, MichelleCarmen, but I was waiting for someone else to answer your question since I never paid attention to what a hemp candle was! I *think* I have seen them advertized, but I couldn''t even swear to that!

Deb

PS-Lori, I will look for sites that sell the tart warmers, but right now everyone is sick here...even the dog!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sorry, MichelleCarmen, but I was waiting for someone else to answer your question since I never paid attention to what a hemp candle was
It seems like they''re hard to find. Many say, "hemp candles," but don''t have any hemp ingredients as I noticed when doing an online search.

I''m going to use hemp oil, hemp wicks and essential oils, plus either bees'' wax or soy wax. Do these sound cool? This idea seems unique enough, don''t you think? I''m going to market them at co-ops and herbal witchy-type stores (and eventually go global - lol)

I was wondering if anyone has heard anything good or bad, but since no one has heard anything, guess I''ll try this out.

Maybe some of you''d help test these out and give me you opinion????

dobie

Rough_Rock
What do you ladies think of the aroma jars that heat up fragrance oils? The Body Shop is everywhere here in Canada. In the Vancouver area, there are at least a dozen of them in the malls. On their US website, they list 10 aroma jars available.

yellowfan

Brilliant_Rock
AGBF: sorry to hear about the household of sickness...been there and done that
7.gif

Michelle: what site have you been learning about the hemp candles? I would like to learn about them too. BTW, hows your little boys doing?

Dobie: I haven''t seen the aroma jars your talking about, they sound good though!
21.gif

dobie

Rough_Rock
I''ve never heard of tart burners. They seem to be the same as aroma jars/burners. I tried to go to www.thebodyshop.com to get some pics, but my WinXP system kept redirecting me to www.thebodyshop.ca.
29.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
the power of scent is intriguing to me. over the years i''ve collected an embarrasing amount of essential oils, and i am always mixing and trying different combinations.
i use burners for these concoctions, to fill the whole house with the scent of the day (or hour or minute!) they work really well. of course, there is nothing like a beautifully scented candle to envoke a certain ambiance and atmosphere of tranquility, but for everday use and pure aromatherapy, i use the burners.
here is one from the body shop that dobie was referring to:

tranquility.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is an example of the kind of tart warmers I use around the house most of the time. I will look for the more elegant, glass one in the future!

Here is one site where one can buy these country, "primitive", tin tart warmers.

County Tin Tart Warmers

Deb

blue heart tin.JPG

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/11/2005 7
6.gif
7:27 AM
Author: yellowfan

Michelle: what site have you been learning about the hemp candles? I would like to learn about them too. BTW, hows your little boys doing?
YF - I''m just starting to research these, so i''ll PM you links when I find some good ones. Last month I decided to apply for a business license to start up a small gift company and then the idea came to me that in all the candle shopping I''ve done, there haven''t been any retailers offering hemp candles, even in the shops that normally sell these types of products, so I''m basically brand new to the concept but hoping to make more of this idea. Like everyone here, I blow tons of cash on candles, it seems like making them would be a fun hobby.
1.gif

My boys are doing great. They''re very much a handful, but luckily, the weather has been beautiful, so they''ve the opportunity to go to the park and work off some energy. Believe it or not, my four-year-old got a computer from his grandmother as a Christmas gift. This started out all fine and dandy, but soon snowballed into disaster. lol He was given a Harry Potter game and would freak whenever we told him it was time to get off the computer. Finally my husband had his fill and took the H. Potter cd and broke it in half.
6.gif
My poor son! lol He is way too young for a computer, but oh well. . . lol

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results