carat
color
clarity

How rare is a MRB O?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Glad to see you posting again. I missed your ebay finds.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would check with Infinity Diamonds and Brian Gavin Diamonds. I have a 2 carat L/SI1 BGD Blue and it's gorgeous. It actually faces up white though-if you go for a super ideal cut they're going to face up pretty white even in lower colors.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love that eBay one Gypsy posted. Also, mydiamondzone is very easy and comfortable to work with.

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
Just a comment about DZ. I have had one good experience with them and three not as good. My first purchase, a 3/4 ct. OEC, was great.

Can't remember which came first after that, but I returned an antique wedding band. They failed to disclose that one side was badly worn (and the photos didn't show it) and it was a style with stepped-down sides so the fact that two levels were worn off made the ring very asymmetrical.

Then I ordered an antique engraved eternity ring that was supposed to be 1 ct. of OECs (only reason I ordered it) and it was .66 ct. of MRBs. It also had a bunch of damaged areas where the channel had been pinched together to keep the diamonds in. I kept it because it was worth more than I paid for it, it's comfortable, it's pretty, and my size.

I have just gotten an OMC engagement ring. I like it, but once again, they overstated the quality. It was sold as I-J, my jeweler says at least L, possibly M. Clarity was supposedly SI1-SI2. My jeweler says I1 at best, possibly I2. It has a couple of big feathers near the edge. It's eye clean and it really sparkles, although it's a seriously wonky cut. I'm trying to decide whether to send it back or keep it. I like it, but keeping it rewards them (again) for misstating what they are selling.

liz

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
CharmyPoo|1361776155|3389769 said:
Glad to see you posting again. I missed your ebay finds.

Thank you honey. :wavey:

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
thing2of2|1361801884|3389871 said:
I would check with Infinity Diamonds and Brian Gavin Diamonds. I have a 2 carat L/SI1 BGD Blue and it's gorgeous. It actually faces up white though-if you go for a super ideal cut they're going to face up pretty white even in lower colors.

Ditto, Infinity often has low color stones in their ideal cut selection. The lowest I recall seeing was an R. They don't have anything that low listed in your budget now, but it might be worth the email to Wink.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
nielseel|1361828437|3390275 said:
WHAT ARE YOUR LADIES THOUGHTS ON THIS, ARE THE ANGLES THAT BAD?
http://www.diamondselections.com/GetCertificate.aspx?DiamondID=37422671

eta: manufacturing remnant :confused:

IIRC you like to see lots of coloured light, right?
If so it's not a great choice for you - shallow crown + steeper pav + longer LGF (thinner mains = skinny arrows) + larger table (it's not *large* but a bit larger than some would prefer for lots of coloured light return).

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think you need to go lower than O if you want the diamond to look noticably "not white". I would aim for ST or UV.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1361831438|3390301 said:
I think you need to go lower than O if you want the diamond to look noticably "not white". I would aim for ST or UV.

Ditto, my Q OEC faces up pretty white most of the time. It only looks tinted in certain lighting.

-Bella-

Rough_Rock
I have to say i do love a warm coloured diamond!

Cant wait to see what you create !!

Can i ask though are excel diamonds a reputable place to buy loose diamonds from? I really like the round 2ct (or thereabouts) N that was linked too on the first page :D

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
-Bella-|1361834469|3390327 said:
I have to say i do love a warm coloured diamond!

Cant wait to see what you create !!

Can i ask though are excel diamonds a reputable place to buy loose diamonds from? I really like the round 2ct (or thereabouts) N that was linked too on the first page :D
Well I don't know much about them but the little ice interacted with them they are great! I asked them about the o from there and they said they reviewed it and the cavity inclusion was something to avoid. I appreciate a company that will steer me from a disaster. That's a huge stone for the budget if you like warm too its soooo. Worth getting a look

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

si2 with "Clarity grade is based on clouds that are not shown." is a pretty solid indication to stay away.
It would have to be evaluated by an expert to know for sure but frankly I would not bother and drop it from consideration.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Great answers Karl!

Here's my take on the original question:
how rare is a MRB O?

Pretty rare, especially if we're talking about a stone that would be acceptable to the high standards that people generally seek when reading PS.
Part of the reason is low demand.
It makes a lot of sense to cut that rough into other shapes that will look a lot more yellow.
Not that anyone is "wrong" to desire an MRB of this color- personally I love them too. But the market for them is very small.

The other demographic is that far too many cutters ( IMO) trade upon consumer ignorance, so a stone GIA will grade O-P instead becomes a K color with an non GIA report.

Put these two things together and the number of precision cut ( IOW, intended to cut to GIA EX) O-P color stones is quite low.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rockdiamond|1361837962|3390358 said:
The other demographic is that far too many cutters ( IMO) trade upon consumer ignorance, so a stone GIA will grade O-P instead becomes a K color with an non GIA report.

So basically all the true O MRBs are being sent to random graders across America, and packaged as J's and K's.. maybe even H and I's!! and sold in your local maul jewelry stores :lol:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great answers Karl!

how rare is a MRB O?

Pretty rare, especially if we're talking about a stone that would be acceptable to the high standards that people generally seek when reading PS.
It makes a lot of sense to cut that rough into other shapes that will look a lot more yellow.
Not that anyone is "wrong" to desire an MRB of this color- personally I love them too. But the market for them is very small.

Put these two things together and the number of precision cut ( IOW, intended to cut to GIA EX) O-P color stones is quite low.

Thank you! I always love your posts. I was hoping you mighty stroll along, i had a feeling you would be a good person to answer my original question.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Karl_K|1361837028|3390345 said:

si2 with "Clarity grade is based on clouds that are not shown." is a pretty solid indication to stay away.
It would have to be evaluated by an expert to know for sure but frankly I would not bother and drop it from consideration.

they say its eye clean but they wont provide a picture. they said that would "review" it but to be able to i have to pay for it first. Not really my cup of tea, so doesnt seem worth it

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
madelise|1361838505|3390367 said:

So basically all the true O MRBs are being sent to random graders across America, and packaged as J's and K's.. maybe even H and I's!! and sold in your local maul jewelry stores :lol:
Yes, but not random graders, carefully selected ones.
The biggest are:
IGI USA and egl Israel, It happens every day.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
nielseel|1361839233|3390376 said:
Karl_K|1361837028|3390345 said:

they say its eye clean but they wont provide a picture. they said that would "review" it but to be able to i have to pay for it first. Not really my cup of tea, so doesnt seem worth it
They can be eye clean meaning you don't see a dark blob in it but still effect the light return of the stone in a negative manner.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
nielseel|1361839125|3390375 said:
Great answers Karl!

how rare is a MRB O?

Thank you! I always love your posts. I was hoping you mighty stroll along, i had a feeling you would be a good person to answer my original question.
Aw shucks...thank you! The feeling is mutual!

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
CharmyPoo|1361766058|3389665 said:

A while back, Jon had a gorgeous low color honker that he was considering to recut. I can't remember what happened to it. There was also a really pretty huge low color one he was selling .. but that was an old cut.

This one? http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/1702/
He recut it, I believe. It became an M IF AVR. I considered buying it in 2006 or 2007 when it was still O IF H&A, but opted for something whiter instead. I think I might have a couple of pictures of it on my old computer.
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/who-bought-it-gog-1-74-o-if.115712/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/who-bought-it-gog-1-74-o-if.115712/[/URL]

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TC1987|1361841678|3390425 said:
CharmyPoo|1361766058|3389665 said:

A while back, Jon had a gorgeous low color honker that he was considering to recut. I can't remember what happened to it. There was also a really pretty huge low color one he was selling .. but that was an old cut.

This one? http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/1702/
He recut it, I believe. It became an M IF AVR. I considered buying it in 2006 or 2007 when it was still O IF H&A, but opted for something whiter instead. I think I might have a couple of pictures of it on my old computer.
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/who-bought-it-gog-1-74-o-if.115712/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/who-bought-it-gog-1-74-o-if.115712/[/URL]

Oh my golly i love that!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Who's got it on hold?????????? 8)

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
It was recut in to an AVR. Sometimes GOG marked diamonds on "hold" but they were subsequently sold. The two that I bought still say "on hold."

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
These aren't that GOG stone. They are some other ring that I also considered (a few years ago) that was said to be O color. It's an older cut. like maybe a European Cut RB. (Not OEC.)

o_color4.jpg

o_color.jpg

o_color2.jpg

o_color3.jpg

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
nielseel|1361844592|3390476 said:
I contacted excel, who i will be honest is fast becoming my favorite PS vendor, and I told them what i was looking for and they fast responded with this. Is this a good aset? I feel like no but in the same token i went over to look at GOG and they seemed similar
http://www.exceldiamonds.com/Diamonds-1/GIA-Graded-Emerald-Diamond-1-15-Carat-Z-Color-VS1-Clarity-239823.html

Do you realize this is an emerald cut? Are you looking for step cuts now? Excel is great and their prices are awesome!! Let me know if you do end up buying from them. We're considering them for my upgrade (hopefully next year some time)...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results