shape
carat
color
clarity

Valentines day proposal

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

HOUMedGal

Brilliant_Rock
Scout: First off, I''d like to say that I respect your coming and asking for advice from folks who have "been there and done that."
I''m afraid I''m going to offer the same kind of advice that the others have...I think it would be best if you waited on the engagement. Here''s why.

I dated a guy for a year and a half when I was in high school...started dating when I was 14, broke up with him when I was 16. The next serious relationship I had began when I was 18 and about to head off to college. Believe it or not, even though we were doing the long-distance thing, and he was still in high school while I had started college, our relationship lasted for 2 years. But at around that point, I had a sudden realization:

I had changed soooooooooooo much during those 2 years of college.

I had begun to know who I really was, the "real me" had started to blossom in an environment where I was away from my family, away from my old friends, and away from all the things I had grown up with, that dictated who I was. I started to realize what kind of person I was becoming, what I wanted, what I didn''t want, what was most important to me in life and love. And it was VERY different than what was important to me at age 16.

Then, when I met the man I''m with now, the man I''m going to be engaged to this summer and marry 2.5 years from now, I realized that he was everything I knew I wanted and everything I never knew I wanted. Plus, at this point, we are both mature enough, with enough life experience, to be able to think through big decisions like engagement.

Oh, and about the promise ring thing: my boyfriend gave me a promise ring last summer, and it meant almost as much to me as an engagement ring!! Being "engaged to be engaged" is great, and during the time I''ve been wearing the promise ring, we''ve been able to grow together even more and realize that we truly do mean it when we say we want to be together forever.

I guess what I''m trying to say is that at 16, even though you may be a mature 16, you still have some growing to do. I considered myself to be a very mature teenager, as did adults who knew me, but I had no idea of all the changing that I was yet to go through. The sheer amount of life experience you have, simply by virture of the number of years you''ve spent on this earth, has so much to do with your level of maturity.

So here''s my advice: try to be patient and give it a little longer before you get engaged. Make SURE, without a doubt, that this is a rest-of-your-life kind of thing. And in the meantime, give her a promise ring on Valentine''s Day!! This will let her know just how serious you are about your relationship, yet still give you a little "growing room" if you need it.

No matter what you do, I wish you the best of luck.

ChapmanLovesHarvard

Rough_Rock
Hi Scout:

It seems like everyone has pretty much said the same thing, so I am going to try to say something different.

I think it is great you love your girlfriend so much.

I am 21, so I am pretty young as well, and dont have tons of experience, but I thought of a story that kind of reminded me of you.

I had two good friends in high school who met when they were 15. They fell instantly in love with eachother and in a matter of months knew they would marry eachother. Tom (the boyfriend) was struggleing with what to do, he had so much love in his heart he had to do something. He got her a promise ring. And I know other people mentioned this, and it didn''t really sound like you were interested, but when Tom gave her this ring, he got down on this knee and said "this is my promise to be true to you and my promise that one day I will be down on my knee putting an engagement ring on this finger." She went to college and he got a job, and when he was able to he made that promise come true. 5 months ago I went to their wedding and it was so amazing. When the bride was giving a toast to her new husband, she mentioned how she felt as if she was so lucky because she got proposed to twice by the man of her dreams, that promise ring was so special to her. Now she wears that on her right hand and her wedding ring on her left.

Give it some thought. I know some people are being harsh on this page, but is it just because most people dont find their true love at 16. Scout, there is just so much joy in all the phases of a relationship... friends....dating....boyfriend/girlfriend.....promised....engaged....married. There are so many wonderful things to discover about each part, I would hate for you to miss out on any of them.

Take care

scoutZor

Rough_Rock
I have to say, Not many people here are all that grateful that i even came to you guys and questioned the idea. I started to cry when i read some of these posts, i never realized how harsh people could be. It is like some of you jumped out of your chair and attacked me. It is people like you, that make people like me, not want to be here, or as for advice about anything in fear of being attacked once again.

I have thought about this engagement thing for so long, thought about everything that comes with it. So for those who said i only thought about our jobs, you are 120% wrong. I have thought about the flat tires, i thought about the house, thought about the kids, thought about just about everything, including our life together as a couple.

Today, during 4th period in school, Jess and I normally go outside since we have lunch that period. We ended up making snow angels and playing in the snow. It was so much fun, and just seeing the smile on her face, was worth every second of it. After we got done playing in the snow, i went into a blank stare at her. She kept asking me what i was thinking about, but i couldn''t answer. I was too busy thinking about our future, when a picture popped into my head. It was her sitting on a long blue sleigh, our baby boy in the front, our baby girl in the middle, and her in the back.. With me standing at the bottom of the hill, to take the picture. Im not sure what that means, but i get things like this all the time.

I believe alot of the people i have talked to, including some of you, dont believe in a 16-year-old-engagement for 1 of many reasons.
1.You waited to get engaged, and your life worked out ok (this being because you were told by everyone else to wait, so you waited) which would mean you dont know how a life as a 16 year old being engaged would be like.
2. You got engaged at sometime around 16, and it didnt work for you. You thought you met the right person, but you didnt.
3. You never had a relationship.
4. You just never thought about being engaged.
5. You dont know how my relationship is, you dont know how things are between me and Jess, you dont know a thing about either one of us, so please, next time before you start to criticize my relationship, try finding out more about it.

I wrote a poem the other day, it made me feel happy. The poem was entitled "Proposal".. i wrote the poem before i read these posts. After i read them, i wrote a poem entitled "Why cant they just understand"... they can both be viewed at the links below.. Next time you reply to a post, please, think about how your going to make the person feel when they read it. All i asked was if you thought it was a good idea.

Proposal
Why cant they just understand

P.S. I am going to give her the promise ring, but not because any of you told me to, because i found it right in my heart. It seems like no matter what happens, her mother hates me.. so being engaged right now, wouldn''t make either of us feel any happier (we are both happy as can be, but i believe if we got engaged, her mother would change and i wouldnt be able to see her or smoething). Therefore, i am going to give her a teddy bear, with a box of chocolate strapped around it(pink bear, so i got pink ribbon). Put a diamond ring in the chocolate box, by replacing the middle chocolate with the ring. (Thanks for the idea). And then put a nice necklace around the bears neck.

Lord Summerisle

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/24/2005 8:31:14 PM
Author: scoutZor

P.S. I am going to give her the promise ring, but not because any of you told me to, because i found it right in my heart. It seems like no matter what happens, her mother hates me.. so being engaged right now, wouldn''t make either of us feel any happier (we are both happy as can be, but i believe if we got engaged, her mother would change and i wouldnt be able to see her or smoething). Therefore, i am going to give her a teddy bear, with a box of chocolate strapped around it(pink bear, so i got pink ribbon). Put a diamond ring in the chocolate box, by replacing the middle chocolate with the ring. (Thanks for the idea). And then put a nice necklace around the bears neck.
When did she go from ''not minding the idea'' to ''hating'' you.

Like you say i dont know either of you, but could it be more, shes cool on the idea of the 2 of you getting engaged so quickly (7/8 months) and so young, rather than actually ''hating'' you. While me and my lass talked about it 2,3,4 months into the relationship, we are only now, 2 years later getting to the point of me proposing...

And I was talking to her the other day, this thread prompting the question... to her, while we talked about about it, a proposal before now, would have stifled the relationship, because of the change of dynamic it brings to a relationship.

There is an old saying - marry in haste, repent at leisure. Dont rush. there is no hurry. just enjoy this your ''honeymoon'' period of a relationship, when everything is blissfully happy, and your thinking ''shes the one'' and it can end up like us, 2 years later still in that honeymoon period, and things are going great...but it can also go the other way. and a Proposal can extend a relaisionship beyond its natural conclusion as there is that pressure there.

scoutZor

Rough_Rock
Her mother still doesn''t mind the idea, i just believe her mother hates me... i dont know if it is just me, or if it is natural with parents like that, but with every girlfriend i have had, i always thought their parents hated me... but if her parents hated me, she wouldn;t let me over there, or let me see her, so, no i guess she doesn''t hate me

appletini

Ideal_Rock
Scout: I love the idea of the promise ring with chocolates and teddy bear. It is very sweet and something she will never forget.

My BF and I knew eachother was the one and that we wanted after 1.5 months of dating, we''ve been together for a little over a year now, and will be getting engaged in the next few months. I''m glad that things have gone a little slower for us (although I didn''t like being patient for awhile), but we are at a point where we have everything lined up and don''t feel like we have to rush, even though we can''t wait to be husband and wife. We just know that we are going to have a great future together, no matter when he puts that beautiful ring on my finger.

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Your girlfriend will love the promise ring... I received one from a boyfriend when I was 16 and I was thrilled. I also still remember it. I don''t still have it, but I do remember him giving it to me.

Scout, I am sorry that you felt that people here were attacking you. In fact, I think they just cared about you enough to let you know what *could* be in store from you. These days, it is rare for a marriage to last...regardless of the age of the people who marry. The people here have just lived a little more than you have and were trying to protect you...call it parental instinct.

Good Luck on V-day, she will love whatever you do for her and I hope that you will beat the odds and grow old with this girl in time.

Many Blessings

scoutZor

Rough_Rock
My friend stated this on another forum i post on..

Quoted from http://www.purepimps.com/vb/showthread.php?p=10176#post10176 by KleeDogg:
.........To me, a few nights of passion and fun are not worth a whole lifetime of happiness next to the one you love. I love her so much i am still with her and she lives in NY and i live in FL, she moves here with me in the fall of next yr. And anybody who knows us, would tell you that we would be retarded to break up. Even our parents tell us we are perfect for each other and to throw something like that away..... AND when people do throw that away because they want to live out there best years single, they tend to marry someone they dont truly love, but instead have settled for, which is not fair to either of them, which is why - i believe this anyways - so many marriages dont last anymore. ........

i believe in what he said.. people throw away ther life with the one they love and get with someone they dont really love, and marry them, and i beileve that is why marriage these days dont work out... i do believe she is TRUELY the one for me, and i think no matter when we get married or engaged, everything will work out fine.

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
I don''t think anyone on here is telling you to throw your relationship away or break up so that you can have your single years. We mean "don''t rush into anything and just enjoy your lives together". Hope you can see the different. Anyways I am glad that you are going to give her a promise ring because it would express your love for her but not overwhelming her. I think it is also a good idea for you to think about ways to become financially stable (i.e. jobs, education) in the future. So that you and your gf can have the life that you want together.

PrincessBride

Rough_Rock
Lord Summer, you ask the same question that I was gonna ask.

Scout, if I sounded like I attacked you, I apologize. It''s just that seeing someone being so blind just really irks me. It''s like getting bad customer service, ya know.

Anyway, you''re right, we don''t know your exact situation, but being older, we automatically become wiser (not in all aspects) because we''ve lived through experiences and we come to certain realizations about things. You''ll understand that not far from now. I''m only 27, though I''m not a granny but there are things I understand and see much clearer now than I did as a 16 year old.

When you mentioned that she''ll be off to NY and you''re in FL, it made it even clearer that an engagement seemed like the solution to keeping her (even though this may not be the case). Long distance relationships together with college life is the test of relationships. Absence can either make the heart grow fonder or colder.

But I am very happy to hear that you''ve decided to give her a promise ring. In the meantime, save up to buy the engagement ring yourself (without help from anyone).

Regarding the parent thing, you just have to warm up to her mom. Help her around the house on chores and stuff. I think she''s afraid that you might distract Jess from her school work. My mom hated my bf too for a long time years. It wasn''t until 2 years ago that she learned to accept him. She doesn''t think he''s the perfect choice for me, but she doesn''t dislike him anymore. (We''ve dated for over 7 years and he will be proposing marriage next sometime this year). She thinks that he is won''t be useful around the house and that he will be my burden.

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/26/2005 10:23:46 PM
My friend stated this on another forum i post on..

Quoted from http://www.purepimps.com/vb/showthread.php?p=10176#post10176 by KleeDogg:
.........To me, a few nights of passion and fun are not worth a whole lifetime of happiness next to the one you love. I love her so much i am still with her and she lives in NY and i live in FL, she moves here with me in the fall of next yr. And anybody who knows us, would tell you that we would be retarded to break up. Even our parents tell us we are perfect for each other and to throw something like that away..... AND when people do throw that away because they want to live out there best years single, they tend to marry someone they dont truly love, but instead have settled for, which is not fair to either of them, which is why - i believe this anyways - so many marriages dont last anymore. ........

i believe in what he said.. people throw away ther life with the one they love and get with someone they dont really love, and marry them, and i beileve that is why marriage these days dont work out... i do believe she is TRUELY the one for me, and i think no matter when we get married or engaged, everything will work out fine.
Kleedogg, I believe, is in love..but a little naive. There is nothing wrong with being naive when you are young. It takes experience to gain wisdom. People get married for all kinds of reasons...some people get married because what they think is lifetime everlasting love was just puppy love or lust.... some people get married because they truly love each other and think it is the next step... some people get married because they''ve been with a person so long that it is the natural progression of steps.. Marriages fail for many reasons: adultery, misunderstandings, lost love, taking each other for granted, abuse etc...

Let me tell you though, it takes A LOT more than love to make a marriage work...you''ll understand that some day!

jlc0604

Rough_Rock
We believe you''re in love. You don''t have to be an adult to experience being in love. The difference is that when people are young, they believe that love is all it takes to live happily ever after. Many people who fall in love for the first time are so overwhelmed with being in love, they think that life is like a movie - where everything will work out happily in the end if you just love each other. They think "Love will get us through anything". But in reality, it doesn''t work that way.

As you get older, you learn that it takes a lot more than love to keep a relationship going. For a successful marriage, you must have not only love, but also compatible goals, dreams, & lifestyles. You agree on certain important things- where to live?, are you going to have children?, if so how many? will you both work, or will one person stay home? how will you spend your money? There are just so many things to discuss and be compatible on before you can seriously consider spending your life with someone. And as a 16 year old, you can''t even imagine some of them because you haven''t experienced them yet. That''s what people here are trying to say. In the next 10 years or so, you''ll learn how to pay rent, or a mortage, take care of yourself, what career you want to pursue - etc. All of these factors that you haven''t yet determined will heavily influence your relationship.

So that''s why people are saying enjoy being young and in love. You will grow a lot and gain tons of life experience in the next 5-10 years. If you guys end up growing together, then great. If not, then that''s ok too. But getting married before you''re ready won''t FORCE you guys to grow together. So wait it out, enjoy this great phase of early love, and see what happens :)

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
Just wanted to chime in (again) on this discussion. Many of the posters said that it takes more than love to make a relationship work. This is something my Mom said to me time and time again. Especially when I was dating, and claimed to be in love with a guy she felt wasn''t right for me. I never understood what she meant until I was older. There is so much more to a good relationship than being in love. Love is definitely the over-arching necessity. But so many other things come into play like, finances, how to raise children, careers, etc. Maybe more importantly, are the everyday living-with-someone type of issues. Sometimes those can be the most difficult to deal with.

So Scout: I doubt anyone was being harsh or mean to just be so. I think most people were just trying to relay their experiences for you to consider.

Lastly, I think the promise ring presentation was a great idea. It''s great that you are so thoughtful and kind to your GF. If you keep that up then I am sure that your relationship has a chance.
2.gif

BLINGQUEEN

Shiny_Rock
The phrase "Today during 4th period in school" says enough.
34.gif
If you are afraid of seperation, an engagement ring isn''t going to secure you a place in her future atomatically. And, it''ll be harder to get the ring back if you break up and she''s in another state. Stay with the promise ring idea. I really hope it works out for you guys I just want you to be a little more realistic. You imagine your little boy and girl playing on a sleigh. Well, imagine them getting the flu afterwards and they''re throwing up all night and you''re up with them and have to go into work the next day!! And daycares and schools won''t let kids attend when they''re sick. So, someone will miss work, miss a paycheck, miss a bill.........

Brittany

Rough_Rock
Scout,

A girlfriend of mine has been married for seven years. They were 18 when they got married and nobody supported them. She didn''t get the wedding she wanted because she knew she would have to forfeit that if she wanted to be married at 18. They are extremely happy now and I hope this is the case for you as well.

There is a lot of very wise advice in this thread and I commend you for taking it.

Brittany

lethologica

Rough_Rock
My parents were together from fairly young, and married when my mum was 19 and my dad 22. Over 35 years later (I think it''s 38 this year) they''re still together...

I''m 19 and would love to marry as I love the idea of being married for so long, but would only do it if I was absolutely certain it was right and would last.

I think what I''m trying to say is that although it can seem so idealistic right now, you have to think about the future - my parents are lucky, many others, probably most others who married under those situations wouldn''t have lasted nearly that long...

scoutZor

Rough_Rock
Ok, the thing that makes me mad about this post... not many read the hole topic before posting... I have said it before and i will again. We talked out the kids situation, were gunna have 1 kid when we turn 19... rent isnt a problem, we know where we are living, and we have enough saved up for a years rent their already. the career, that is set, she will become a RN (Registered Nurse) while i go to Engine City Technical Institute and become a Diesel Mechanic... (FYI: I got a job now).. right now she is going threw parenting class and has to carry around this fake baby that has a chip in it, so the baby periodically cries and moves around.. the both of us have taken turns threw the nights taking care of it, and yes the DAM THING CRIES AT 2 IN THE MORNING. but its ok, we took care of it... today in history, she was holding the baby as if it were real and she looked so cute holding it... i jus wanted to jump out of my seat and give her a big hug... but, once again, all these things have been discussed between me and her already. the kids, finances, residence, jobs, cars, the ring, lifestyle, emancipation, etc. You name it, and we have talked about it... and im not sure who posted it, but yes i have pic the kids getting sick after the sleigh ride, and one of us stayin home from work to care for it... we even talked about the furniture we want in our house... thats how dead set we are... im not sure about you, but i dont know any 16=year old who is planning the furniture or utencils in their kitchen for when they have a house...

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/1/2005 11:44:30 PM
im not sure about you, but i dont know any 16=year old who is planning the furniture or utencils in their kitchen for when they have a house...
When I was 16, I thought I would drive a porsche or ferrari, have a million dollar home, have it designed professionally...after all.. I would be able to afford that on my superstar salaries.

Dreaming, thinking and having the means to do are two seperate things...talking about marriage is easy...doing it is the hardest part.

Lord Summerisle

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, a couple of little question for you two to muse over...

How long does it take for you both to qualify in your degrees... and 19... thats auffly young... not much chance to get yourself grounded, settled and a bit on money behind you so that when it comes to her taking maturnity leave for a few months... then theres the cost of child care once your both back at work...

While i dont have one... the baby stage seems the easy bit... feed it, clean it, change it... its when it starts walking and talking that the problems come (they soon turn into teenagers!)
11.gif

appletini

Ideal_Rock
Please don''t take offense, my comments are meant to be constructive criticism...

If you are going to have children starting at 19 while both in school...what about health insurance!!! Children are expensive. I would recommend at least completing your higher education before having children, don''t burden yourself with more stress than necessary, it can be very tough on a marriage, no matter how much you love each other.

Also something my BF and I did when we were dating for six months and talking seriously about marriage, we went to a marriage survival skills class at my church. The class is for engaged, newlywed, and couples thinking about marriage, and it talks about all the different aspects that need to be addressed and maintained for a healthy relationship. Even though we have a great relationship, we were both glad that we went.

p.s. please don''t get mad at me for this, but please proof read your posts before you hit the submit button. Thanks.

carolamerica

Rough_Rock
please, excuse me for the way I''m going to say things, it''s just that it''s not my mother language and I may explain things weirdly but here is what I thought reading most of your postings.

I'' m 36, not married because I don''t want to... I''m not a marriage person, It makes me freak out, all the hassle, the ties, the obligations.
I''m living with my companion for 10 years now and I''ve always been faithful, so I know commitment and difficulties of dealiing with a couple''s life.
we had a child together but I lost the baby in a dramatic way..this was my major commitment, a ring or a wedding does not change anything.
all this just to picture where I stand with all this,
so here is my view:

When I read Scout''s intention, I just freaked out. This so young man going to engage himself in such a commitment?
marriage is not easy ... and so on... I just projected my view, my fears on his story. I wanted to tell him all you told him. To be careful, to wait and see...

and when I looked closely at his answers, I saw a young guy trying to defend his dreams, I saw a pure heart truly in love.

of course they are both young, of course they are going to change and grow and have delusions, but we all did, still do and will do.
you change a lot from 15 to 20 and from 20 to 25 and so on...
who can say that they are the same at 35 than at 25?

this is called experience... and look what it has done to us...we don''t believe anymore.

Romeo and Juliet were kids, and they shared a pure love (ok it''s a just a story but, well, it all made us cry, right?)
Imagine Romeo and Juliet at 30, busy with their own carreer, trying to make money to survive...And to buy this perfect stone ;-)

Actually what we all think is that marriage is not easy, it''s a commitment... but what is really difficult is life, survival.

This young heart tells us about love, about sharing life, about becoming one.

what we answer is paying bills, sharing troubles, growing apart...

we are as right as he his, but what we all experienced is going to happen anyway,whether they are together or not.
maybe they can go through this together, grow in the same way, and change together to be closer and closer.

The change some of us experienced that build a gap between people is time and distance, more than personality. People grow apart, because they live different things...They will have to deal with that too but as the olders say : "distance is to love what wind is to fire, it puts out the weak one and revive the strong one."

This commitment Scout is talking about is the one of love, and it may be the purest one actually, maybe in 10 years his love will not be that pure...

Maybe in 2 years they will hate each other, maybe their love will grow. Nobody knows, even if we are going to get married soon... took 3 years to thing about being engaged, then waited 1 year before getting married... all this is conventions. It does not preserve us from delusions.

I looked at posts from other forums, and I see guys freaking out to know if they are ready or not, girls waiting for them to decide, I see conventional timelines of what age is better, the time you should wait to be engaged, the time between the engagement and marriage... I have never felt such a pressure in my country... I am not married and it''s no big deal there. Here it''s such a problem if you are not married after 30, if you don''t have a nice ring... if you are not proposed after 2 years.

Look what life and experience has done to us. we just become stuck to what is normal, or what is usual. We stopped dreaming. We keep on kissing the frog and it''s no prince charming...So we need artifacts.

May be Scout does not need a ring, whatever promise ring or engagement or wedding... it''s just conventions. he just needs to tell his sweatheart how in love he his, to tell her he saw their future together and that he believe in their love, that deep in his heart he knows she''s the one
If a ring seems to be a proof, why not.
Does he really need a material proof of comittment? He should not have to ...actually, Romeo and Juliet never had to be engaged to feel in love.

I don''t have an answer for Scout, neither for us, he has to choose between his heart and his head. Or maybe a mix of the two. The only thing he should focus on is what is REALLY important for him. The troubles will come no matter what, he will face them soon enough, with or without commitments.

His goal is to make the dream last, against all troubles, and to make love grow stronger, that ''s the most difficult part isn''t it?

I wish him luck, whatever he decides, and I wish him courage and strength.

I believe in you Scout, make this love last forever, who cares about the ring stuff after all. It''s so conventional. What does it really mean?...Look at all these people engaged with beautiful stones not keeping their promise. Statisctics talk.

The only, really important thing here is what you really feel for her, what she really feels for you, and what you are going to accomplish together... That ''s your real commitment.

take care

scoutZor

Rough_Rock
I have to say thank you. You are the first person i can see who is actually promoting my decision. Although at the same time you told me "no you shouldn''t do it" you also said "yes you shoudl do it"... i believe you are 100% right.. i dont need a ring to show her how much i love her.. the ring was my idea from the beginning.. I cant say that i know why exactly i want(ed) to get engaged, because i really dont. Maybe it is the love between us.. and how strong it really is.. it was just something about her that tells me i will be with her forever.. no matter what happens, she will always be there.. i finally found the one person who cares about everything i do ... the one person who listens to everything i say.. the one person who can make me simile and laugh no matter what mood i might be in.. and i guess i just wanted something to signify that this perfect person, was really mine. At the bottom of this post, i have included a few links. They are links to pictures of her that i have uploaded for people such as yourselves to see. You are more then welcome to comment on them. Tomorrow, Wednesday Feb, 9th, i am going out with my dad. He is taking me ring shopping. I haven;t really made up my mind yet whether i want to give her a promise ring, or an engagement ring. But no matter which it is, i know we will be happy together. My heart tells me to do it, while my mind is tellin me i better do it.. so i guess following either one of them is leading me to the same direction. Anyway.. here are those links for you..

Jess and I back in June of 2004
Jess and her family - from left to right : Jessica, Her brother Nick, Her sister Amanda
Jess and her sister Amanda

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/24/2005 8:31:14 PM
I have thought about this engagement thing for so long, thought about everything that comes with it. So for those who said i only thought about our jobs, you are 120% wrong. I have thought about the flat tires, i thought about the house, thought about the kids, thought about just about everything, including our life together as a couple.
Thought about it for SO long and you have only been together for 7 months? That''s a nano second in a life time.

No one is attacking you. They are telling you what you don''t want to hear. Simply put, you are too young to be thinking about marriage. PERIOD. As someone old enough to be your parent, I would not condone or be on board with your decision.

I''m also a little confused. You will graduate high school at 18? At 19, your wife will be going to nursing school, have time for a 9 month pregnancy, care for a newborn infant and subsequently become a nurse full time? Who will be taking care of this infant that will need 24/7 care if you are working and she is a student, you are a student? Are you both going to school full time & have a full time job & have another full time job of taking care of an infant? And, as another pointed out, will you have insurance? Even if you have insurance, babies are *very* expensive. Who is paying for her nursing school? If you say her parents, they may choose not to if you marry. Have you seen a financial planner? Have you made a budget? Exactly where will you live, how much rent will you pay & how much monthly income will come in?

You are biting off way more than you can chew. Even if you may be the most mature 16 year old, you have your whole life ahead of you.

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
The point is...most of us who are older than 16 or 17 are going to have a wealth of experience behind us to question the the validity of making a serious commitment at such a young age. No one is trying to attack Scout. Most seem to be trying to offer previous experience as advice. After all he did come to this forum to ask advice. I for one hope that if he and his GF to do in fact get married, that they have a long and happy marriage.

PS - FTLOD: your avatar and your quote made me crack up. I love Dirty Dancing!!

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Well, we all know the tragedy that was Romeo & Juliet. They weren''t considered "kids" in the time frame Shakespear wrote.

Romance and love are emotions. Reality is reality.

JimDiamond

Shiny_Rock
First of all let me congratulate you on your decision to go with the promise ring and it is YOUR decision. It doesn''t matter what anyone here says so I''m glad you''re making a wise one.

When you talk about your plans for the future, jobs, careers, children, etc. you sound as if you are certain and have no doubt (or very little). This is a public forum of course so you will feel pressure to sound certain even if you''re not, so maybe you do have some doubts that you may not even admit to yourself, but what I want to say is this: If you do feel that you have talked about education, shelter, finances, sex, careers, children, religion, family etc. and you have little or no doubt that you are ready to be married--then that is the surest proof of all that you are NOT ready.

Paradoxically, the more fear and doubt you have (to a certain point), the more ready you are, because it means you have a realistic appraisal of the situation and the future. This is true for everyone, not just 16 year olds. In a serious relationship, one starts out thinking, "Wow this person is incredible. They may be the one." You work through the different stages, talk about all sorts of things, but no how ready you think you are the real doubt doesn''t start until you start thinking seriously about engagement. Then just when you think you''ve made the hardest decision of all, it gets harder. During the whole period of engagment you can''t help thinking, "Am I doing the right thing? Will this really work? Are we really meant to be together for the rest of our lives?" There will be times you have strong doubts and times you have weak doubts, but they will be there. But it doesn''t stop there. After you get married people have the idea that you''re not supposed to have doubts about whether you made the right decision unless your marriage is in trouble, but that''s just not the case. Everyone in a good marriage will at some point question themselves and have doubts and fear that they may have made the wrong decision. This is human nature.

So who is it that doesn''t have doubts? Who is it that is so sure as to have no fear or indecision? People who aren''t ready, that''s who. People in the early stages of a relationship. People who are too young or immature (you could be 40 and be too immature) to get married.

So I hate to say it, but if you''re sure you''re ready (both of you). Then you''re definitely not. But it''s not like you have to break up. ENJOY YOUR RELATIONSHIP. ENJOY EACH OTHER. TAKE ONE DAY AT A TIME AND HAVE A GREAT TIME. When the time is right, you''ll be afraid and you''ll know you''re ready...

rockupied

Rough_Rock
JimDiamond-
Interesting theory. Can''t say that I agree with it, but interesting nonetheless.

scoutZor-
I''ve been following the thread since its inception. My feelings regarding your situation have waffled. A lot of people have offered advice derived from their experiences. Presumably they have more experience than you. I certainly don''t get the feeling that anyone is "attacking" you. They are just expressing their concern. So in that regard, many people have made the legitimate point- there are many realistic material concerns! You should at least give them credit for trying to offer you advice. Doesn''t mean you have to agree with what they are saying but it at least deserves some consideration. Can''t say that I agree with someone so young in such a serious relationship but that doesn''t make me right and you wrong. Please keep reading.

I think the most important thing is RESPECT. A lot of things are attributed to that word. Among them are honesty, communication, and sincerity. In my opinion, love is all these things. One can''t give more than the other in the relationship and you both have to agree on what love is. People, however, have different opinions of what "love" is. What makes a relationship work is whether the two people have the same definition of love- and people do change their definitions over time and experiences.

I think your feelings are very noble and true to the life and responsibilities that have thus far been your experiences. It''s sweet and pure in the simplest unvarying sense. If you treat her right and she treats you right, and you are both happy- that truly is all that matters. If the two of you have that at such a young age then you are blessed. It''s a hard, cold reality that awaits your optimism so please respect and take care of each other. Maybe you can make it
1.gif

rockupied

Rough_Rock
scoutZor-
So which did you choose?
33.gif

You stated you were going ring shopping with your dad on the 9th but that you were unsure of what type of ring you would purchase to accomodate your proclomation of committment. I hope you had a nice day with him and that you have a definitive plan.

Please keep us updated- I''m certain I''m not the only one who wonders and who wishes you the best in whichever decision you make.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results