shape
carat
color
clarity

I saw a Wholesale Jewler. Here is the Offer. Is it B.S. ?

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Re: I saw a Wholesale Jewler. Here is the Offer. Is it B.S.

bizmord|1360339213|3375244 said:
For pure looks .... am I better off with the diamond this guy offered? or one of those in links? And if it's the 4 other online ... which one is the best value/look? thank you
It's impossible to comment on the "eye-clean" of the SI2 clarity grades from reports alone. Also, as a general rule, any diamond with average pavilion angle > 41 degrees should be carefully examined for both cut consistency and a strong T PA CA combination.

Ultimately I'm going to take the high road here... It sounds like you've found an SI2 that is eye-clean to your standards, with a J color you like. If you have seen the diamond through a range of numerous lighting conditions - including indirect/soft light where the small diameter will be most obvious - and it continues to meet your standards (and the wearer's) for visual beauty that could well be enough for you.

In terms of getting best value you might print this thread, take it to your jeweler to show the input offered, and ask if he has room to bring pricing in-line with 0.95-0.99 carat options in the same color/clarity classification. Otherwise, if he has access to supply, perhaps he has another 1-carat diamond in the $4-5K range which faces-up closer to 6.50mm.

At the same time, you're free to do as others have suggested here. The consumer community on this site receives no compensation for any suggestions they make: They do it because they've been in your shoes - got bitten by the diamond bug - and enjoy helping others.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

let me put it this way...your looking at a 1lb steak with a lot of excess fat.

bizmord

Rough_Rock

i checked specs of this diamond this Jewler offered to me on HCA and it scored 1.9
so why did you guys that it's poorly cut stone?

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade

04diamond<3|1360279962|3374791 said:
considering a 1ct should be about 6.5mm, I can tell it's a bit deep.

JulieN|1360281321|3374808 said:
Thick girdle is decreasing spread.

John Pollard|1360287073|3374878 said:
It faces up like a well-cut 0.95 carat diamond. Predicted AGS 3 for performance, but the girdle brings it down to AGS 4 with make considered.

John Pollard|1360337995|3375234 said:
At 6.39mm the 1.02 you're considering has the face-up diameter of a well-cut 0.95 carat

Dancing Fire|1360375909|3375762 said:
let me put it this way...your looking at a 1lb steak with a lot of excess fat.

ChrisES

Shiny_Rock

This is why the HCA is not the be all and end all of metrics.

MOST stones scoring 2.0 or lower are good.
MOST stones scoring over 2.0 are not as good.

Lucky shoppers can find good stones over 2.0, despite the fact that some posters here say never to look at a stone over 2.0....
...but unlucky shoppers sometimes encounter not so good stones under 2.0.

And you, my friend, have had a spot of bad luck.

But I do like the idea of using this thread as leverage to negotiate a discount.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade

ChrisES|1360620795|3377807 said:

Correct. The HCA simply imagines a "chalk outline" of the diamond's primary numbers (T CA PA) and predicts whether light is likely to be effectively returned to the viewer's eye. I'm surprised there isn't a greater penalty in spread, but I understand that the HCA is operating on a handful of generalities which don't include mm measurements or all girdle details.

I know Garry Holloway (HCA) pretty well. He was among the best dancers at my wedding. And if he were at the sales counter holding this diamond I'm confident he'd disclose that its diameter is somewhat small for the given weight, as a matter of professional responsibility.

It is not a train wreck, but it is significant enough that GIA downgraded the diamond to VG and AGS would give it 4 at best. That's all. If those things don't bother you, no worries.

bizmord

Rough_Rock

John Pollard|1360622339|3377827 said:
ChrisES|1360620795|3377807 said:

Correct. The HCA simply imagines a "chalk outline" of the diamond's primary numbers (T CA PA) and predicts whether light is likely to be effectively returned to the viewer's eye. I'm surprised there isn't a greater penalty in spread, but I understand that the HCA is operating on a handful of generalities which don't include mm measurements or all girdle details.

I know Garry Holloway (HCA) pretty well. He was among the best dancers at my wedding. And if he were at the sales counter holding this diamond I'm confident he'd disclose that its diameter is somewhat small for the given weight, as a matter of professional responsibility.

It is not a train wreck, but it is significant enough that GIA downgraded the diamond to VG and AGS would give it 4 at best. That's all. If those things don't bother you, no worries.

Very good point. It does bother me because a person who recommended this guy said ... "you'll see that this jeweler will truly take care of you". BUT as always in life, people just want to F you every time you're about to open up your wallet. I understand businesses need to make money but I wish there would be more good service rather than a car dealer like sales in most things we buy today.

As of right now .... I'm a bit lost.
I like this diamond ....https://myapps.gia.edu/ReportCheckPortal/getReportData.do?&reportno=2151168837&weight=1.13
but it's now sold out.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

as Julie said before, start a whole new thread that says something like "help me find a $XXXX" RB cut stone", put down the color and clarity youre willing to go down to and the size you want. People will find you a good one in your budget. Its these peoples hobbie. They like to do it.

K9

Brilliant_Rock

nielseel|1360623209|3377840 said:

as Julie said before, start a whole new thread that says something like "help me find a $XXXX" RB cut stone", put down the color and clarity youre willing to go down to and the size you want. People will find you a good one in your budget. Its these peoples hobbie. They like to do it.

And you'll end up with a hell of a nice stone for little to no work!

isekii

Rough_Rock

Ya lots of good info here.
If you're in NY reach out to IDJ he can pull some stones for you as well I bet.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results