shape
carat
color
clarity

PSers, are your children inheriting your love of bling?

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Since she was about 5, my 8 year old daughter constantly takes off my wedding set and walks around parading and admiring my rings on her fingers. So, I have some less expensive jewelry (.15 ct solitaire from a maul store) and a white gold/princess cut band, about .5 tcw, that I told her would both be hers when they fit her fingers....I think they're both about a size 5.

Anyway, she tried both rings on her right hand middle finger about a week ago, and they fit! They don't slide off, and they actually look cute together like a mini wedding set. Now, she wants me to give them to her officially so that she can wear them whenever she likes!
Is a 3rd grader too young to wear diamonds? :lol: Where in the world did she get this from :cheeky:

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
That is adorable! God I wish I had a daughter. Maybe I'll be lucky and have a granddaughter some day. Neither of my sons are interested in my little hobby. They both tease me relentlessly about it, the devils :devil:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My daughter has loved sparkly things since she was a little, and at 23 she still does, but she's happy with fakes! :cheeky:

Very cute story jaysonsmom!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
jaysonsmom|1354753936|3323600 said:
Since she was about 5, my 8 year old daughter constantly takes off my wedding set and walks around parading and admiring my rings on her fingers. So, I have some less expensive jewelry (.15 ct solitaire from a maul store) and a white gold/princess cut band, about .5 tcw, that I told her would both be hers when they fit her fingers....I think they're both about a size 5.

Anyway, she tried both rings on her right hand middle finger about a week ago, and they fit! They don't slide off, and they actually look cute together like a mini wedding set. Now, she wants me to give them to her officially so that she can wear them whenever she likes!
Is a 3rd grader too young to wear diamonds? :lol: Where in the world did she get this from :cheeky:
never too young to wear diamonds... :wink2:

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
jaysonsmom said:

Adorable! Not too young in my book as long as you're ok with her likely loosing them at some point. Gosh I wish I had a daughter!!!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
My younger son is curious about gemstones mostly because he plays a couple of video games that have him collect gems or amulets. He asks me about which stones are which colors and which are harder than others. One day, he put my wedding ring on his finger and he couldn't get it off. Apparently, the finger he put it on is a size 5+ (maybe a 5.25). We had to grease his finger with Clinique eye cream to get it off! lol

I'm not sure if a 3rd grader is too young for diamonds, but one little girl we know had some sparkily earrings on that sure looked real. They looked so cute on her her b/c the stones were very small, but had a ton of fire to them...she was a bit older though...around 12. ETA - if I had a daughter, I'd probably be buying her jewelry at a young age. My first pair of earrings were tanzanite studs in 14K gold from my parents when I was in 6th grade. I still have them!

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

My son laughs at my interest. He can't understand why I buy such small ones. He actually encourages buying larger. He is a grown man and would rather I spend money on larger diamonds.

I think she is a bit young to go out in the world and show other kids her diamonds. Or she might start a trend. I would keep them for her to look forward to--maybe 7th grade.

Annette

I have one niece who loved bling when she was a child. She still does.

OneFifty

Shiny_Rock
I had jewelry as a child. Heck, the tooth fairy even left me ruby earrings one time. Of course they were tiny, but I was so excited. I received my first real diamond in 8th grade - I was allowed to resent my grandma's engagment ring. Before then I had a few small pieces: an emerald ring and an alexanderite ring. I still have both of those sitting in my jewerly box today. I guess if you think she is responsible not to lose them, then she might be ready.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
smitcompton|1354812258|3324229 said:
Hi,

My son laughs at my interest. He can't understand why I buy such small ones. He actually encourages buying larger. He is a grown man and would rather I spend money on larger diamonds.

I think she is a bit young to go out in the world and show other kids her diamonds. Or she might start a trend. I would keep them for her to look forward to--maybe 7th grade.

Annette

I have one niece who loved bling when she was a child. She still does.

hahaha - sounds like you raised a good son, Annette!

erinl

Brilliant_Rock
My four year old loves to look at my stones and knows that my heart-shaped mahenge spinel is "hers" so I think yes, she is inheriting my love of bling. I may be creating a monster!

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
I hope my boys love buying jewelry for their mom someday if not for them! :)

SB621

Ideal_Rock
My kids at 2 and 1 are too little to get it yet But my 1 year old loves grabbing my DBTY necklace :lol: However, they will both inherit my jewelry. My daughter will get practically everything but my son will get my ering.

JaneSmith

Brilliant_Rock
jaysonsmom said:

This is so cute. Yes, give her the rings. Make sure she knows to only wear them in the house so they don't get lost outside.

I have already bought my daughter diamond stud earrings (.25tcw). She can get her ears pierced when she's older. We also got her a little pearl pendant that she loves. She got to choose the oyster and watch the lady open it and fish out the pearl. Tourist trap but highly entertaining.
She loves to try on my jewlery and knows to be careful. I have created a bling monster! :devil:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes they are if I have any say about it. :cheeky: I don't have children but I have dear nieces and I am always letting them wear my rings/necklaces when I am around. And ofc because their fingers are so small the rings look huge! :love:
They are going to be 5 and 7 in January & February so they are still pretty young. They own no diamonds of their own but I have been buying them gold jewelry for now. My sister and BIL would kill me if I got them any diamonds at this stage. They are not even going to let them get their ears pierced until they turn 13! That's when my parents let us get our ears pierced but maybe they will change their minds as the girls get older. In any case they still have plenty of time for all that stuff.
I did get some pics this Thanksgiving of the oldest wearing my ER and my mom's ER which for cuteness purposes I will attach for your viewing pleasure. No DSS here!

learningearly.jpg

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
jaysonsmom|1354753936|3323600 said:

Adorable!! And definitely not :bigsmile:

I've informed DH that he is to ensure that our first is a girl :cheeky: Most of the girls in my family got their ears pierced in a ceremony at one, and I'd want to do the same. Which of course means having some baby-safe baby bezels made!

No-one else in my family cares about stones or jewellery at all, I have NO idea where I got it from. So it's obviously not genetic, but I'm a believer in nurture over nature anyway ::)

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well my daughter is only 31 days old, so I'll have to get back to you in a few years. ;-)

My son definitely notices my rings and necklaces and asks what they are!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

DS, no. DH, unfortunately yes. But not "bling". He wants a Lange watch.

cheers--Sharon

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes and are educated. Thank you PS!!!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yssie|1354827586|3324703 said:

I've informed DH that he is to ensure that our first is a girl :cheeky: Most of the girls in my family got their ears pierced in a ceremony at one, and I'd want to do the same. Which of course means having some baby-safe baby bezels made!

No-one else in my family cares about stones or jewellery at all, I have NO idea where I got it from. So it's obviously not genetic, but I'm a believer in nurture over nature anyway ::)

Haha, I hope I have a girl, too! I got my ears pierced shortly after birth, and I'll have my future daughter(s) get theirs done early, too. Baby bezel studs sound amazing!

I was a "nurtured" jewelry lover. My previous icon was me wearing a bunch of my grandmother's jade jewelry on my hand. My mother loved jewelry, and owned a small jewelry store for a few years.

My FMIL loves jewelry, as well. She collects ethnic YG pieces.

My poor future daughters' future boyfriends/husbands are going to be upset, but I'm keeping the tradition going. I'm going to teach all my babies about accessorizing with quality jewelry. Maybe that first pair of "baby bezels" can be upgradeable stones that will be upgraded at the 16th, 18th then 21st birthday! :love: Ooh, this is too fun planning my nonexistent future children's jewelry!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
madelise|1354830907|3324777 said:
Yssie|1354827586|3324703 said:

Haha, I hope I have a girl, too! I got my ears pierced shortly after birth, and I'll have my future daughter(s) get theirs done early, too. Baby bezel studs sound amazing!

I was a "nurtured" jewelry lover. My previous icon was me wearing a bunch of my grandmother's jade jewelry on my hand. My mother loved jewelry, and owned a small jewelry store for a few years.

My FMIL loves jewelry, as well. She collects ethnic YG pieces.

My poor future daughters' future boyfriends/husbands are going to be upset, but I'm keeping the tradition going. I'm going to teach all my babies about accessorizing with quality jewelry. Maybe that first pair of "baby bezels" can be upgradeable stones that will be upgraded at the 16th, 18th then 21st birthday! :love: Ooh, this is too fun planning my nonexistent future children's jewelry!

It is!

DH suggested that I just modify my Tiffs baby bezels for her - But they're MINE, and they're too big for an infant even at 0.1ctw, and anyway wouldn't it be awesome to have matching earrings? He doesn't get it :nono: I do love the idea of upgradable studs for your kids :cheeky:

What sorts of ethnic pieces? Any pics?

I actually didn't recognise you at first, I missed the old jade av :rodent:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
canuk-gal|1354828067|3324719 said:
HI:

DS, no. DH, unfortunately yes. But not "bling". He wants a Lange watch.

cheers--Sharon
then buy him one for Christmas... :appl:

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
My 6 yo daughter definitely is...if any of my bling is ever missing, I'll know where to start the search, lol! I've given her some of my costume jewelry that I don't wear anymore and she is careful to accessorize herself every morning before she heads off to kindergarten. I think DH is in trouble!!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yssie|1354834444|3324839 said:
It is!

DH suggested that I just modify my Tiffs baby bezels for her - But they're MINE, and they're too big for an infant even at 0.1ctw, and anyway wouldn't it be awesome to have matching earrings? He doesn't get it :nono: I do love the idea of upgradable studs for your kids :cheeky:

What sorts of ethnic pieces? Any pics?

I actually didn't recognise you at first, I missed the old jade av :rodent:

:bigsmile: I got sick of that avatar :knockout: I have a feeling everyone won't "recognize" me for a while :wacko: 8)

I wish I had photos of her pieces. I think I have one photo of her wearing a few pieces with her kameez dress she wore to some dinner somewhere.. It's on SO's Facebook. I'll try to get it and I'll post. It's really, really pretty. I used to think it was tacky, but now I understand the cultural beauty behind it.

My future babies are going to have Chinese jade and Indian gold… AND Madelise's diamonds. What spoiled children-to-be!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My older daughter has a wedding set almost just like mine, so I guess we have similar taste in fine jewelry! She has already claimed the sapphire ring in my avatar! :lol: But she wears a lot of silver jewelry and earrings and necklaces that match her outfits whereas I only wear fine jewelry all the time. So we'll see over time if her interest in jewelry grows. They have a baby now and lots of things to buy other than jewelry! The 17 year old always loved sparkly things as a child and she is talented in art now. She liked the facet pattern of the AVR's whereas most people around me probably didn't notice it when I showed them the visiting stones. But she seems to like more modern pieces (she has a Tiffany atlas ring, for example), so I may be hoping that the granddaughter loves my jewelry!

donnabrsd

Brilliant_Rock
Two of my four children have...

When my oldest son was about 2-1/2, I learned that he was fond of jewelry. When my engagement ring was missing after a party in our home, we figured someone stole it and we filed a police and insurance report. About two weeks into the insurance claim, my little boy went into my room, opened a lower drawer, lifted some clothing, pulled out my ring, and put it on his finger. Apparently he put it there for safekeeping the day of the party. He is now 21 and he encouraged me to go larger when upgrading my studs. He also looks through my jewelry every so often at a few loose diamonds I have. He said he may like to use one for an engagement ring (in the far future, of course).

One of my daughters loves diamonds. She started wearing my first pair of diamond studs (.50ctw bezel set) when she was 7 years old and in second grade. She lost one at school and it was never found. I had another made and she lost another. She is now 10 and wears a pair of small bezel set pink sapphires that I had made for her. I only let her wear my diamond jewelry in the house nowadays. She also likes my new earrings. She shows it with the finger print she puts on one of them each day as she tells me how pretty and shiny it is.

I say let your 3rd grader wear the diamond rings but only in your home, just incase they fall off. I was very sad when my daughter lost that first diamond earring of mine. Also, it is fun for your children to wear your jewelry, you get a much better view of it and it looks so much larger.

I inherited my mom's love of bling. I still like to play with her jewelry.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My boys not only love bling but understand how to judge gemstone colour. They'll watch TV and comment if one is too black or too gray. They also like BIG stones. At least with some gem knowledge, I know they are armed with the knowledge on how to get quality bling for their partners.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1354896369|3325447 said:
My boys not only love bling but understand how to judge gemstone colour. They'll watch TV and comment if one is too black or too gray. They also like BIG stones. At least with some gem knowledge, I know they are armed with the knowledge on how to get quality bling for their partners.

Yay, that is awesome, Chrono! :appl: lol!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results