shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help me visualise a 6mm princess on a larger finger

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have been looking for the right princess for ages and I have a couple of candidates. These are the two different possible stones.
Stone 1 is 1.35ct 6.10x6.20mm
Stone 2 is 1.21ct 5.75x5.77mm

Both have similar specs, appeal to me visually and are top performers but understandably the 1.32ct is $2000 more than the 1.21ct. And I'm not sure if its worth the extra. Will I notice the 0.3mm difference?

Also I would love to see any finished rings that are around the same size on a size 6.5-7.5mm finger to double check that either will have the finger coverage I'm looking for.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Please help me visualise a 6mm princess on a larger fing

This sounds super silly, but it's accurate if you want to visualize it on YOUR finger.

Take out paper, scissors and a ruler. Draw the size. Cut it out, and measure it again to make sure it's the right measurements. Tape on your finger. Voila. Then also realize that, since paper is flat on your finger, it will appear smaller from a top down view than a diamond of the same diameter would.. since it would sit higher up off your finger.

418183_1731042162481_695516472_n.jpg

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I've done that for a few rings before but I can't see it as any more than a bit of paper on my finger! My imagination in clearly not active enough! :naughty:

Christina...

Ideal_Rock

I can't remember the exact measurements of this stone, but I know that it was just under 6mm. It's an asscher not a princess but it gives you an idea. I wear a 7.75-8. Not a great picture but it gives you some RL perspective. I have more if you'd like to see from some other distances or angles.

more_of_my_ring__amp__beach_298.jpg

more_of_my_ring__amp__beach_205.jpg

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock

If you bezel it, it will increase the total diameter to 8mm. Look at the Tiffany Bezet for an example.

fanofhardrock

Rough_Rock

0.3mm is where size is palpable. I would opt for larger as it will be impactful. That's my two bits worth. I think that 0.1mm is barely noticeable, but at 0.3mm - that's where it seems to count.

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Thanks for the opinion guys. If they were the same price then sure the bigger one would win out but I would like to save the money if possible. But if I'll see the size difference the question is would the smaller stone be big enough?

Does anyone have any more photos they could share to help me out?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

It is a 14% difference, it will be very noticeable.

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

JulieN|1352926089|3306617 said:
It is a 14% difference, it will be very noticeable.
!!! when you put it like that :shock: !!!

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock

But $2000 is a lot of difference, too, and there are setting things that you can do with that $2000 to make the lighter-weight one look larger and still come out ahead.

liz

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Here is mine with my wedding band, I do not have a picture all by its self, my is a little under 5mm around 5.75 maybe...and I wear a size 8.5

allmine521111111.jpg

Christina...

Ideal_Rock

Are you set on a princess cut? As you probably already know they face up smaller than many other cuts so if you are trying to maximize size you may want to consider a pear or oval for example. It may also help to know that. 01 mm is the same width as a single sheet of copy paper. .03mm will be a noticeable difference but only you can say if its worth the additional expense. Have you considered dropping color or clarity to keep size up?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I know youre frustration! I wanted to know what it would look like for a diamond on my 7.25 size finger and it so hard! people on here such lovely slender fingers i get very :Up_to_something:

Have you considered bezeling it? or have you picked the setting?

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Thanks for the pictures DRL and Christina. They do help. Anymore photo offers?

I do really want a princess. I have other shapes and I want a proper square this time. I don't want a massive stone or anything I just want to be sure I pick the right stone for the money. with regards to specs I'm already pretty low to get that size and great sparkle for my bucks.

Good advice about settings. I do like bezels so I think I will bezel it. What kind of thickness do you think a fine bezel would add to it?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

chel180|1352944110|3306837 said:
Thanks for the pictures DRL and Christina. They do help. Anymore photo offers?

I do really want a princess. I have other shapes and I want a proper square this time. I don't want a massive stone or anything I just want to be sure I pick the right stone for the money. with regards to specs I'm already pretty low to get that size and great sparkle for my bucks.

Good advice about settings. I do like bezels so I think I will bezel it. What kind of thickness do you think a fine bezel would add to it?

You know I am not sure? I love this sholdt one, and it says it can be made in any size.
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/lola-sholdt-14k-white-gold-5341w14
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/full-bezel-euro-platinum-5716p-856
Also his one sets really high so it would give the appearance of a larger stone

I havent seen a lot if bezeled princesses but I think it would look pretty fly :D
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond-pendants/princess-bezel-pendant-18k-white-gold-5423w18

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Nielseel- that Sholdt setting is very pretty.....

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock

Adwar has full bezels and half bezels. It's a little tedious to look through their online catalog, or maybe I just don't know some secret ADWAR Style 23354L is a Princess full bezel. ADWAR Style 23186L sets the princess kite-style. And there are others. But it takes me too much time to look through there and find the possibilities and retrieve the correct model number for the 6mm stone size.

Stuller has some. Jewelers usually have those 2 catalogs in their stores.

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I am liking the bezel settings.

I would love to see some more 6mm-ish princesses on size 6+ fingers though! Please post a link or photo if you have a ring that would help me to visualise my project.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

chel, I just wanted to pop back in and say the smaller of the two is about the same as a 1 ct round, so I really think you will be ok!

Christina...

Ideal_Rock

I agree with JulieN, I have larger than average fingers and I never felt that my stone looked small, but I did upgrade to a larger RB because DSS set in, and well, has again! :Up_to_something:

I think that a 1ct RB measures approximately 6.4mm, so I think that Julie was referring to the larger of the two stones being close to a 1ct RB. I think a 5.8 is similar to a .75ct RB.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results