shape
carat
color
clarity

Car buying advice and negotiating tips!

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Car buying tips from someone in the biz:

1) Go in with a list of what you want, expect, and will pay for.
2) Be firm about not accepting any less.
3) DON'T say "I can afford X per month." Say "I'll do only X years on contract and no more than X amount, at the lowest interest."
4) Tell them you want to drive the car overnight on a Ride and Drive contract. You need to know whether you really like it.
5) Make sure you have the credit rating to back up your requests.
6) Go to each dealership driving a car from a competing dealership. Let's them know you are shopping around; motivates them to give you their best deal possible to win you.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just called Travelers and the insurance would be about $1250 a year, so right at $2000 with both cars. Not nearly as bad as I thought it would be.

Will definitely drive both an automatic and a stick. I LOVE the idea of a manual, but I don't want to be miserable in the type of traffic I'm in the most.

About to board a flight--be back later!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HollyS|1349386801|3279541 said:
Car buying tips from someone in the biz:

1) Go in with a list of what you want, expect, and will pay for.
2) Be firm about not accepting any less.
3) DON'T say "I can afford X per month." Say "I'll do only X years on contract and no more than X amount, at the lowest interest."
4) Tell them you want to drive the car overnight on a Ride and Drive contract. You need to know whether you really like it.
5) Make sure you have the credit rating to back up your requests.
6) Go to each dealership driving a car from a competing dealership. Let's them know you are shopping around; motivates them to give you their best deal possible to win you.

And a couple more -

7. Buy at the end of the month. Salespeople work strictly on commission and sell the most cars at the beginning of the month, so if you go in tomorrow they'll still be contentedly resting on the end of September loot.. wait a couple of weeks and they'll be antsy about meeting the monthly quota.
8. Do NOT say you are paying cash up front. Cash is actually much less attractive since they lose all hope of gouging you on the in-house financing (offer you financing at a higher rate than they're buying it from the bank for).

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Dee jay,
I hope you don't mind me poking my head in- I'm a Porsche lover myself. Actually a 911 lover.
All the rules are great- and can certainly apply in many car buying opportunities, but really less so if you're buying a CPO 911 from a dealer- which I highly recommend. Porsche dealers really take great care of CPO customers. Plus you're under a new car like warrantee for quite a while
What I have done, is scour dealer websites for the used Carreras in stock.
To me, small details make a lot of difference. Plus the colors are also a huge deal for me.
So I've been willing to drive to dealers many hours away to get a 911 that's exactly to my liking.
If they know you're coming, well, they know you're coming- so negotiating skill becomes very important.
You can't wait to the end of the month if you find that perfect combo, with low miles.
( get the stick please)
That's when you have to be tough, but realistic.
I'm excited for you.
What's your favorite color combo?

BTW auto is not all that much better in traffic. You have to hold the brake down for pronged periods when you'd be in neutral with the stick. I've driven them through long traffic jams with a stick.
It's such a thrill shifting a 911- with the motor behind you.
GO FOR IT!!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My hubby would shudder at the thought of a 911 in automatic! :lol: He is a lifelong Porsche lover and semi-collector. He has owned three and currently has two (and his dad has a '58 or '59 Speedster in his garage), although he likes certain years for particular reasons and they are not new. His 911 is black and it is very sharp! I agree with David on certified pre-owned from a dealer in your situation.

As for me, I just bought a new 2013 Toyota Venza last Saturday (really exciting compared to a 911, I know!). I was hoping to score a 2012 but that was not to be (I sort of wanted a 2011-2012 Lexus RX 350 but the closest dealer was an hour away and I just decided that was too inconvenient for maintenance). I researched the week before I went shopping. And I absolutely hate car shopping! I always research internet pricing and choose two vendors that have what I want. I look at the internet priced cars at one dealer and then I go to the other dealer and tell them the prices they need to match (and they can look them up on the internet to verify). Always, always work your deal the last day or two of the month. They are working on meeting sales quotas and that is when you usually get the best deal at a dealer. I ended up with a couple of features I didn't really need but no one had the exact car I wanted. But I got the color I wanted and paid just a little more than the internet priced car at the other dealer. We never do financing. You either get more off the car or they make money off of you on the financing. There were dealer incentives this time at Toyota and I would have paid about $1500 more for the car had we financed at 0%. There is no such thing as 0 interest in reality!

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Would you consider buying from a private seller?

We also pay cash and going the private route seems to be the best deal. Plus it's easy with cash. With our last vehicle I found what I wanted from a private seller then shopped dealerships to see if they could match. They couldn't, so I bought from the private seller after our mechanic checked out the vehicle. The owner and I met for coffee, I gave him a cashier's check, he gave me keys, I walked a block to the DMV and took care of the paperwork within an hour.

I'm excited for you! I've always said that when our house is paid off I'm going to get myself a little sports car for fun!! I'm sooo jealous!!!

amc80

Ideal_Rock
NewEnglandLady|1349462886|3280004 said:
Would you consider buying from a private seller?

We also pay cash and going the private route seems to be the best deal. Plus it's easy with cash. With our last vehicle I found what I wanted from a private seller then shopped dealerships to see if they could match. They couldn't, so I bought from the private seller after our mechanic checked out the vehicle. The owner and I met for coffee, I gave him a cashier's check, he gave me keys, I walked a block to the DMV and took care of the paperwork within an hour.

I'm excited for you! I've always said that when our house is paid off I'm going to get myself a little sports car for fun!! I'm sooo jealous!!!

Not sure which state you're in...but in my state, there's no sales tax when buying from a private party.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1349407827|3279719 said:
My hubby would shudder at the thought of a 911 in automatic! :lol: He is a lifelong Porsche lover and semi-collector. He has owned three and currently has two (and his dad has a '58 or '59 Speedster in his garage), although he likes certain years for particular reasons and they are not new. His 911 is black and it is very sharp! I agree with David on certified pre-owned from a dealer in your situation.

What? :shock: I LOVE that car! Can we get pictures?!! Seriously, pix!! :appl: :appl:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
webdiva|1349384734|3279517 said:
Looking in your price range at used sports cars in that flavor - look for Aston Martin V8 Vantage (gorgeous!).

This suggestion is not as "wow'" as the other cars you listed... but having driven porsches, lotuses, corvettes, etc - I still love my sports car that I sold - the Honda S2000. Beautiful leather interior, handles like a go cart with the sophistication of a much more expensive car. No one ever knew what it was, I could have removed the Honda badges and fooled them. It's a fun tool around town car until you you hit a certain RPM and it turns into a monster sports car. Jeremy Clarkson from Top Gear loves it.They stopped making them in 2010 - but you can probably find a nice certified preowned.

I saw one last weekend, in a parking lot, they are awesome looking! What's the specs on that (hp, engine size, etc)? I've heard they're good fast cars, why the heck did they stop making them?

Don't you just love Top Gear? Those guys make me laugh, and I drool at all the flashy cars. :cheeky: I hope to win the lottery and buy a Bugatti Veyron. :bigsmile:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I hope DeeJay comes back soon . . . I believe I am thread jacking and turning it into a gearhead thread. :D

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander|1349490001|3280339 said:
diamondseeker2006|1349407827|3279719 said:

What? :shock: I LOVE that car! Can we get pictures?!! Seriously, pix!! :appl: :appl:

Haha! I will ask my DH to take some the next time he goes there if he doesn't already have some! I can't believe his dad hasn't sold that car, but it will go to my husband or his brother. And I think it may go to the brother because he doesn't currently have one to my hubby's dismay.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey there! On my iPad, so pls forgive the brief reply and for not responding to everyone directly on this post.

I drove two 911s today, both 2013s, one PDK and one manual. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the manual. Oh. My. God. Did I say LOVE?!? But... (a) I had to get SO DAMN CLOSE to the dashboard to push the clutch in all the way (have I mentioned I'm only 5 feet tall?) that it made me a little uncomfortable (both physically and mentally [for lack of a better word]) to be that close to the steering wheel...god forbid the airbag ever goes off... If the crash doesn't kill me the deployment will. (I know this is ridiculous BTW, because I was really only a tiny bit closer than in the PDK, but I felt like the Porsche logo on the steering wheel was shoved right up my nose...) And (b), my torn ACL and broken ankle on the same side that never healed properly were NOT HAPPY. BUT BUT BUT, have I mentioned how very much I live the stick!?! :love:

Important color discovery: I want the meteor gray (or the newest version of that is agate gray) with GRAY interior. The black interior is just a but claustrophobic, especially after driving around in my roomy Lexus SUV all these years. It's too bad the GTS I drove today didn't hVe gray interior or I would be reporting to you all on my new 911 right now!!! All things considered, I may end up ordering one new and making sure I get exactly what I want. Whe you're spending this kind of $ another ten grand is almost moot to be completely happy.

I'm going to another dealer tomorrow to drive a few more...Will report back (and have more questions for all of you!), so stay tuned!

And yes, diamond seeker, PLEASE, post pics!

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Dee*Jay, so excited for you! Do you think you'll be ordering an automatic? I wonder if you'd get used to being so far forward with the manual...I feel like it's sacreligious to get a sports car in an auto :) But you should absolutely get whatever you love, it's your hard-earned money!! I've never bought a new car--it must be fun picking out exactly what you want!

amc, we do have sales tax here even through a private seller. At least I'm almost positive--I seem to remember paying the tax in addition to the fee to get the plates at the DMV.

portia

Brilliant_Rock
Hi DeeJay! So excited for you!! As a Porsche lover and 911 racer, I can attest to the exhilaration of driving a 911 at speed (especially around corners). It's addicting! They aren't for everyone so I was curious to hear how your test drive went. If you were thilled driving the manual, wait until you learn to double-clutch downshift! :twisted: heheheh

So much great advice here, I really can't add anything new. I was recently looking at a Cayenne S and asked my dad for advice. He said low miles (<40k), cash and private sellers usually work out to be the best deals for him (after vetting the car out via CarFax), but you really have to spend a lot of time looking if you going the private seller route and be willing to travel a good distance. He also mentioned to me that it might be better to look for cars where the climate is milder since salt can be damaging.

Also, if you're concerned about sitting too close, I'm sure there is a way they (or some third party shop) can fit you in the car properly. They might be able to do something to adjust the pedals. I saw something on the Pelican Parts forum about a guy who was looking to extend the pedals for his wife who is 4' 11'' so I think it can be done.

Can't wait to hear how your next tire kicking session goes! :appl:

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Dee Jay.....I just looked at the Porsche site...
Have you driven a BoxsterS?

I've owned both, loved both dearly.
But I cant say I loved one more than the other.
and the BoxsterS is about 35% less than a Carrera S
Plus you get two fairly decent sized trunks.....

It's a tough choice- both cars are so amazing.
But the new Boxster with GT Silver Metallic, with the red top and red leather interior is.....one of the nicest looking cars.
I've not yet seen one live- but seeing it on the Porsche site...wow.....

You have to love red, the whole interior is draped in fire engine red.....
http://www.porsche.com/usa/models/boxster/boxster-s/

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
Sounds like fun! And I think they make pedal extenders, check into it! :) Stick is sooo much fun! My SUV is stick, too! Sportiest little box around! hehe

iLander|1349490307|3280346 said:
Looking in your price range at used sports cars in that flavor - look for Aston Martin V8 Vantage (gorgeous!).

This suggestion is not as "wow'" as the other cars you listed... but having driven porsches, lotuses, corvettes, etc - I still love my sports car that I sold - the Honda S2000. Beautiful leather interior, handles like a go cart with the sophistication of a much more expensive car. No one ever knew what it was, I could have removed the Honda badges and fooled them. It's a fun tool around town car until you you hit a certain RPM and it turns into a monster sports car. Jeremy Clarkson from Top Gear loves it.They stopped making them in 2010 - but you can probably find a nice certified preowned.

I saw one last weekend, in a parking lot, they are awesome looking! What's the specs on that (hp, engine size, etc)? I've heard they're good fast cars, why the heck did they stop making them?

Don't you just love Top Gear? Those guys make me laugh, and I drool at all the flashy cars. :cheeky: I hope to win the lottery and buy a Bugatti Veyron. :bigsmile:

I think they made them longer than intended. It was originally created by Honda to celebrate it's golden anniversary. They were handbuilt in Japan in limited numbers and probably weren't profitable. The engine has the highest output of HP for it's size other than motorcycle engine. 240 HP on 2.0L engine.

Love, love, love Top Gear! They're hilarious! Even non car people can appreciate the humor!

Threadjack! :wavey:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Rockdiamond|1349650942|3281194 said:
Dee Jay.....I just looked at the Porsche site...
Have you driven a BoxsterS?

I've owned both, loved both dearly.
But I cant say I loved one more than the other.
and the BoxsterS is about 35% less than a Carrera S
Plus you get two fairly decent sized trunks.....

It's a tough choice- both cars are so amazing.
But the new Boxster with GT Silver Metallic, with the red top and red leather interior is.....one of the nicest looking cars.
I've not yet seen one live- but seeing it on the Porsche site...wow.....

You have to love red, the whole interior is draped in fire engine red.....
http://www.porsche.com/usa/models/boxster/boxster-s/

Oh, lordy! :cheeky: :love:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I think they made them longer than intended. It was originally created by Honda to celebrate it's golden anniversary. They were handbuilt in Japan in limited numbers and probably weren't profitable. The engine has the highest output of HP for it's size other than motorcycle engine. 240 HP on 2.0L engine.

Love, love, love Top Gear! They're hilarious! Even non car people can appreciate the humor!

Threadjack! :wavey:

That's remarkable! Is it some kind of direct injection? How did they get that much HP out of such a small engine?

I think I've developed a small crush on Richard Hammond. . . :naughty:

Yeah, totally a threadjack. ;-)

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey kids!!! Sorry for being MIA, my ipad has a too-close encounter with some water. I sure hope Porsche products hold up better when they get wet than Apple products do! :cheeky:

OK, prepare yourselves for a novel sized post...

I think I'm going to have to go with the PDK. I went for another test drive at a different dealer on Saturday and as much as I LOVE the stick my knee and ankle have been sore since my first drive. Maybe that would get better over time (and I even thought about talking to a physical therapist to see what I can do), but maybe it wouldn't. And that's a hundred thousand dollar maybe...

Another important color discovery: I want meteor gray, not agate gray. Some sales guy tried to convince me they were EXACTLY the same color, but they really are NOT. I took both paint samples all over the showroom and outside and the agate leans more toward the brown while the meteor is more toward the silver/blue. NOT the same, Mr. Pushy Porsche Sales Guy! The unfortunately thing is that there is an agate gray with platinum interior in production and unclaimed right now, so I could have it in 4-5 weeks, but I am going to hold out for the color I want even though it will be 10-16 weeks. I actually had a dream about this on Saturday night. When I got to the dealer to pick up my car in my dream it was agate, and I said, oh no, that's not right. And the salesman was like, "Listen lady, it's the same damn thing." I've never argued with anyone in a dream before! And boy was I p!ssed off when I woke up!

Financing: The rate is 2.49%. Even on my lowest yielding money market account I'm getting 1.17%. How can I NOT finance this thing? Seriously? And I'm making sure I have the ability to pay it off at any time with no prepayment, but that rate is AMAZING.

I had a moment of panic when I thought the satellite receiver required that little dorsal fin hump thing on the outside of the car, but it seems Porsche has taken care of that and put it inside somewhere. How could I have doubted them? Shame on me!!

I do wonder (and anyone who knows, please chime in) about the rear and front parking assist sensors. Can you see those AT ALL? I can't figure it out. If you can see them AT ALL I am not getting it, but I'm still unclear on that.

David, I saw a silver 911 Cabriolet with red leather interior on Saturday and it was quite the car! And the Boxster is lovely, but it's the 911 that really makes my heart sing.

ILander, threadjack away! I'm enjoying all the different places this thread is going.

Portia and NEL, if I could bring myself to go with the stick (sore knee and ankle notwithstanding), would Porsche install the extenders or someone else after market? And could it be un-done for resale? Unless I find a midget to sell this thing to when the time comes I will likely need to put it back in its original configuration!

I'm sure I owe replies to more people but I have to zip to a 10 am meeting. I'll be back in a little while!

P.S. - My goal in life use to be to pare down all my worldly belongings so that they would all fit in the back of my Lexus SUV... now my goal is to get it all in the "back seat" of the 911!!!

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
If you can find a new car that is "taking on water" you can get the best deal. Each dealer receives a certain amount of money to cover transportation costs, gas for test drives, advertising fees, etc. The longer the car stays on the lot, the less money the dealer makes on the vehicle and is "taking on water".

Also, you're called an "Up" once you walk on the lot...such wierd terminology in car sales. You can negotiate a killer deal if you exactly how much the dealer paid for the car under the MSRP. Trust me when I tell you that they can calculate to the penny how much money they are making and they will sell that car even if they only make $200 on it....albeit with an attitude.

I read a book by a mega-dealer called 'How Not to Get Taken Every Time" when purchasing a car. It was an amazing expose and I practiced and practiced doing exactly what he told me to do, much to the chagrin of my neighbor who was a car salesman and got all pissed that I knew their secrets. Whatever... :wink2:

And as others have said, whatever you do, don't ever say "I don't care how much the car costs, as long as my payments aren't over such and such". You're like a lamb to slaughter when they hear that. Good Luck!! I'm buying a new car next year, wish I was looking as a Porsche. I need a Grandma car. :)

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Miracles, unfortunately I have to order a new one because the combination of features that I want isn't on any lot right now, and the closest one in production is just off in color. And I will be very focused on the bottom line and not monthly payments. The only reason I'm even considering financing is because rates are so low and I am hearing over and over that you get a better price if you finance, but frankly I'm just as happy to write a check. Thanks for the tip on the book! And LOL on the grandma car--you can get child seats for a 911. I'm just sayin'... ;))

One question for everyone on timing: If I have to order new is there any advantage to waiting until the end of a month or not? I'm not sure if a dealer gets to book a sale when it's placed or when the owner actually takes delivery, so I don't know if the timing matters in this instance... ?

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I'm glad you test drove the 911 stick, it really does tire you out. I think men have a lot of leg strength or something, because it doesn't seem to bother them as much (at least it doesn't both DH).

I have the PDK in my Boxster, and it's awesome. It adjusts to how you're driving, as you go along. If you floor it from a standstill, it will hold the shifting, revving up to the 7,000 rpm range before the shift. It you just drive leisurely, it will be in 7th gear at 40 mph, shifting at the 2,000 range. This is supposed to be for fuel economy, and my read out says I'm getting around 22 mpg, which isn't too awful.

I never feel the PDK, it's very smooth and my car doesn't lurch (while I'm pressing in the clutch and all that). Just floor it and shifts faster than any human can. It's actually two transmissions in one, it readies the next gear up while you are using one. So if you're using 4th gear, 5th gear is standing by.

You can also drive the PDK in manual mode, using either the "flappy paddle gearbox" (as they say on Top Gear) or the shift knob itself, no clutch involved.

Very cool.

I can't wait to see a pic of your new beauty! :appl:

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Niiiice, I would be the coolest Gramma ever!!

I think that the next year models come out in October of every year. I seem to recall something about getting a better price if you wait until November, but I don't really remember enough to say with any certainty.

I can't wait to see the car. Heck, what am I saying....I can't wait to be in the car! :naughty:

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
YOu can fit a car seat in the back, but then the front seat must be moved way up- not very comfortable.
I had people back there a bunch of times as well- but I don't think the car really liked having full sized people back there.
It's so well balanced the extra weight is instantly noticeable.

About the timing aspect: When ordering a car like this, you've got very little ability to negotiate- no matter the time of month IMO
If you were trading in, or buying stock off the floor, yes, the end of the month makes a difference.
But even then Porsche dealers are generally less willing to give big discounts on the two seat sports cars. Maybe the SUV's or Panorama.
You're ordering a 911, there's not going to be a big discount.

I recently got a new toy with a 7spd dual clutch.
So I've given up my third pedal for at least 3 years.....and I get what you love ilander, these new automatics are so fast, and so smooth.

I'm sure you'll love the pdk just as much DeeJay.
the car is so beautiful- whenever I see a 911- ANY year- I have to look twice, three times, four times......
So every morning when you walk up to her, you get that thrill.
Starting the car, with your left hand becomes so natural.

There's really nothing like it.

I'm so excited for you....
Have you really looked around at dealers sites to see if there's a car with your specs anywhere on the ground in the US- if it's across the county....even better!
Find one 3000 miles away , and drive home!

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
I have worked at a few car dealerships. I can help you!

First you need to find one you like on the internet. Don't take one step onto the lot until you have honed in on a car. Next you need to go to edmunds.com. You can see what the invoice price is for a new car and you can see what the trade and retail value of a used car is. Note: you would be looking at the retail value. Keep in mind that dealerships need to make money. Allowing them a little over invoice is reasonable. If you say you wont pay a penny over invoice you are really being unfair. As far as preowned goes, they will be "in it" for a certain amount and will have to sell it above that amount. If you know that the car is worth X amount and they refuse to even get close to it this is because they are either greedy or are in it for waaay to much and you should walk away.

If you are buying new, don't be so dead set against financing. Sometimes there are incentives to finance. The way this works is you can sometimes get a rebate for financing. They even offer rebate at 0%, but that is rare. If you can get a rebate and low interest rate you should take it. Once 90 days has passed you pay it off and you have paid about $3.00 interest. They consider this a full finance and you can keep the rebate money.-Its free money sitting there, use it.

You should be nice, but not a pushover. The more they like you, the nicer they will be and they will actually help you. There were people that were just aholes and I would never go out of my way to help them. It was the nice ones that I would try to find deals for. If you are a jerk, they will treat you like a jerk! They are in the customer service industry and dealerships love to have repeat customers. If you are rude, the employees don't want you to come back and will do the minimum to get you out of there and hope they never have to see you again.

Don't let anyone sell you anything you do not need. If you feel pressured, you should leave, if you get the feeling that something isn't right you should leave. Listen to your gut. If there is someone involved that gives you a bad feeling and you don't trust then you should walk away from the deal. DO NOT be so smitten with a car that you do something stupid.

portia

Brilliant_Rock
Dee*Jay|1349704687|3281461 said:
Hey kids!!! Sorry for being MIA, my ipad has a too-close encounter with some water. I sure hope Porsche products hold up better when they get wet than Apple products do! :cheeky:

Portia and NEL, if I could bring myself to go with the stick (sore knee and ankle notwithstanding), would Porsche install the extenders or someone else after market? And could it be un-done for resale? Unless I find a midget to sell this thing to when the time comes I will likely need to put it back in its original configuration!

P.S. - My goal in life use to be to pare down all my worldly belongings so that they would all fit in the back of my Lexus SUV... now my goal is to get it all in the "back seat" of the 911!!!

DeeJay, regarding the pedals, I'm sure aftermarket adjustment could be reversed for resale, but if you're knee is hurting I think PDK is the way to go for sure. A fellow racer friend of mine has a brand new Carrera 4S with PDK and he raves about it. He took it on the track a few times and says it's incredible. It shifts super smooth and fast. No doubt you'll have a ball with it! Please post lots of pics for us car lovers when you get it. The colors sound gorgeous. I love the gray! :))

I'm cracking up at your P.S. Too funny! I wanna see that!

iLander

Ideal_Rock
portia|1349735979|3281744 said:

Just today, my DH (with the Carrera Cabriolet) said "We're supposed to be Taoists*, but that's really hard with a Porsche" :lol:

When I saw your PS, it reminded me of that (*we're supposed to realize the temporary aspect of possessions).

The thing about a Porsche, is that once you have one, it's really hard to be without one. My DH was without one for 5 years (ferrying around gangly teens will force you to that point :blackeye: ) and he hated it. As soon as a good deal on one crossed his path, he bought it. I didn't get it, even though he told me, until I got my own. Now I understand. It's a sickness.

portia

Brilliant_Rock
iLander|1349737842|3281761 said:

Just today, my DH (with the Carrera Cabriolet) said "We're supposed to be Taoists*, but that's really hard with a Porsche" :lol:

When I saw your PS, it reminded me of that (*we're supposed to realize the temporary aspect of possessions).

The thing about a Porsche, is that once you have one, it's really hard to be without one. My DH was without one for 5 years (ferrying around gangly teens will force you to that point :blackeye: ) and he hated it. As soon as a good deal on one crossed his path, he bought it. I didn't get it, even though he told me, until I got my own. Now I understand. It's a sickness.

I so hear you iLander. It's a sickness for sure!

Awww... I'm so jealous of you girls with your 911s. I have 1 1/3 911 race cars (vintage) and sadly they are not street legal. It's gonna be a long winter until I'm reunited. Until then, I will live vicariously through this thread. :appl:

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Diamonds don't take up much space! :cheeky:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
portia|1349739504|3281783 said:
iLander|1349737842|3281761 said:

I so hear you iLander. It's a sickness for sure!

Awww... I'm so jealous of you girls with your 911s. I have 1 1/3 911 race cars (vintage) and sadly they are not street legal. It's gonna be a long winter until I'm reunited. Until then, I will live vicariously through this thread. :appl:

Ahhhh . . . but to drive at speed! You are a lucky dog! :appl:

I only wish I could really open mine up. But I'm paranoid of speeding tickets. :knockout: Plus, I can scare myself pretty good, just getting up to 85 in a handful of seconds! :D

How vintage is your 911? Our oldest was a '75, back in the day. That magnesium engine was a nightmare, every time it got hot (which was all the time, since Porsche took so long to discover water cooling) it leaked like a sieve. But fun, nonetheless. What model of 911 race cars do you have?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results