shape
carat
color
clarity

I am in LOVE with an August Vintage Round (AVR)!!!!!!!!!!

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: I am in LOVE with an August Vintage Round (AVR)!!!!!!!!!

Oh My DS, that's surely a gorgeous AVR. I'm so glad you have found one in your parameters...surely it will all work out for. Once bitten, you may as well go all the way :bigsmile: Good luck!

renogirl

Shiny_Rock

That is a beautiful AVR (I saw it on GOG website and thought about it often). I hope you keep it, set it, and enjoy it forever!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

renogirl|1345383804|3253911 said:
That is a beautiful AVR (I saw it on GOG website and thought about it often). I hope you keep it, set it, and enjoy it forever!!!

I'll tell you, I want one like yours, too!!! An AVC in a Victor Canera setting is pretty much perfect! :love:

backwardsandinheels

Brilliant_Rock

Wow, I am digging that beautiful snowflake thing going on in there...

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

backwardsandinheels|1345401564|3253998 said:
Wow, I am digging that beautiful snowflake thing going on in there...

It is a stone that really draws you in. It is hard to explain because I have loved my ideal cut stones, but there is something really special about chunky facets.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

Two things.

Go bigger :Up_to_something:

Trade in the first stone. Sure, its "worth" more. But if it ain't sold it ain't worth anything at all. Just trade it is an get the stone you want. Then sell the solitaire you have and make an RB three stone with a 1.2ct center and .5ct sides.

Ok, maybe that was three things.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dreamer_D|1345428051|3254106 said:
Two things.

Go bigger :Up_to_something:

Trade in the first stone. Sure, its "worth" more. But if it ain't sold it ain't worth anything at all. Just trade it is an get the stone you want. Then sell the solitaire you have and make an RB three stone with a 1.2ct center and .5ct sides.

Ok, maybe that was three things.

Haha! I can definitely see the appeal of going bigger, but my bank account might not! I think the price can be dropped on the first stone to where it will sell but still gain me more $$$ than trading in. I like the 3 stone idea, or I might do something with an AVC because I have a feeling I will love those, too! That's once I sell both rb's!

How are you feeling about the color of your stone, Dreamer? That is what I am trying to figure out.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

I adore my diamond in every way, truly. This is the first diamond I have owned that I don't have any criticisms about it. My stone has very noticable body tint from the bottom, K at least, not a J. I don't acually know of course, without a GIA report. But my diamond really and truly no BS faces up like an I-J color diamond. It is really uncanny, and my jeweler/appraiser was shocked when he popped the stone from the mount because of it. He thought face up it was an I but loose it was a K. And it is not a chameleon like most tinted stone are. Like, in some lighting and ambient colored rooms my former K RB wouls turn very taupe, or my I-J color RB would go vanilla, taking on yellow and brown tones in the environment and emphasizing them due to the slight body tint. I was not a fan of that phenomenon. But George doesn't do that at all, she faces white or else reflects environmental colors in a very obvious way. Anyways, it is a characteristic of light play and optics that some old cuts have. Not all my old cuts have done this. But the JBEG gals talk about whiter facing old cuts sometimes so it must not be uncommon. Anyways, if you cant find an AVR that has this feature then go for it. I'm not sure if they all would, or some, or whether their proportions would pull for facing up whiter... you'd have to test drive them.

My setting is also a lovely little bird cage that hides the profile of my stone. At first I was hesitant about that, but now I love it. First, hides tint. Second, such a pretty profile view for me looking at my hands when I type for example. And third, the bezel increased the contrast patterning in my stone giving it more depth and interest than it had loose. So the setting matters a lot for me both in terms of color and performance.

So for *me* this particular diamond is a-okay color wise. I have no desire to change it. But you need to evaluate how you feel on a diamond-by-diamond basis. I think old style cuts like the AVR can hand and look nice with some body tint, but the mount would matter just as much IMO to the overall flavour and feel. FWIW I do not like how my diamond looks with RB melee.

hoover

Shiny_Rock

Holy moly, that is a jaw-droppingly gorgeous AVR ( and your MRB ain't too shabby either :love: :naughty: ) Your AVR is what mine want to be when they grow up :lol:

Like you, I was wondering about the colour of the AVRs when I ordered the Js for my ring, but they are so white-looking almost all of the time. I can see tint on the side if I look really hard, so I'm pretty sure i could have gone even lower in colour. Sometimes I think I should have gone lower to get more light play from them in terms of getting colourful reflections as opposed to more white reflections (but that also probably has to do with mine being MUCH smaller than yours!)
Are you leaning towards a higher colour still?

Also, I love the culet (I wish the centre stone in my ring has a culet too) - it totally makes the flower facet pattern even more mesmerizing - especially with the kozibe effect that you'll get from this boulder :love:

Beautiful pics - Hope to see more!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

Hoover send your diamond back to Jon and have him add a culet, a simple little cut 8)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dreamer_D|1345430972|3254124 said:
I adore my diamond in every way, truly. This is the first diamond I have owned that I don't have any criticisms about it. My stone has very noticable body tint from the bottom, K at least, not a J. I don't acually know of course, without a GIA report. But my diamond really and truly no BS faces up like an I-J color diamond. It is really uncanny, and my jeweler/appraiser was shocked when he popped the stone from the mount because of it. He thought face up it was an I but loose it was a K. And it is not a chameleon like most tinted stone are. Like, in some lighting and ambient colored rooms my former K RB wouls turn very taupe, or my I-J color RB would go vanilla, taking on yellow and brown tones in the environment and emphasizing them due to the slight body tint. I was not a fan of that phenomenon. But George doesn't do that at all, she faces white or else reflects environmental colors in a very obvious way. Anyways, it is a characteristic of light play and optics that some old cuts have. Not all my old cuts have done this. But the JBEG gals talk about whiter facing old cuts sometimes so it must not be uncommon. Anyways, if you cant find an AVR that has this feature then go for it. I'm not sure if they all would, or some, or whether their proportions would pull for facing up whiter... you'd have to test drive them.

My setting is also a lovely little bird cage that hides the profile of my stone. At first I was hesitant about that, but now I love it. First, hides tint. Second, such a pretty profile view for me looking at my hands when I type for example. And third, the bezel increased the contrast patterning in my stone giving it more depth and interest than it had loose. So the setting matters a lot for me both in terms of color and performance.

So for *me* this particular diamond is a-okay color wise. I have no desire to change it. But you need to evaluate how you feel on a diamond-by-diamond basis. I think old style cuts like the AVR can hand and look nice with some body tint, but the mount would matter just as much IMO to the overall flavour and feel. FWIW I do not like how my diamond looks with RB melee.

This is really helpful, Dreamer! Thanks! I really don't notice the color much other when I have it right next to the G. It is bright and a soft creamy white most of the time. I adore the chunky flashes in indoor lighting! I do notice in my kitchen at night, it does take on some kind of a darker tint while still sparkling like crazy. Of course, the cabinets and floors are stained wood, so that might be it.

I know one thing, though. I am stocking up on regular light bulbs because those CFL bulbs simply are not the best for diamond viewing!!!

I love your setting! I think the setting will be the very hardest decision for me. You were SO fortunate to find your dream stone in a great setting!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

hoover|1345432903|3254146 said:
Holy moly, that is a jaw-droppingly gorgeous AVR ( and your MRB ain't too shabby either :love: :naughty: ) Your AVR is what mine want to be when they grow up :lol:

Like you, I was wondering about the colour of the AVRs when I ordered the Js for my ring, but they are so white-looking almost all of the time. I can see tint on the side if I look really hard, so I'm pretty sure i could have gone even lower in colour. Sometimes I think I should have gone lower to get more light play from them in terms of getting colourful reflections as opposed to more white reflections (but that also probably has to do with mine being MUCH smaller than yours!)
Are you leaning towards a higher colour still?

Also, I love the culet (I wish the centre stone in my ring has a culet too) - it totally makes the flower facet pattern even more mesmerizing - especially with the kozibe effect that you'll get from this boulder :love:

Beautiful pics - Hope to see more!

I think they are beautiful in all sizes! I love your 3 stone ring! I actually had thought about doing that but I felt like I wanted to see what a larger one looked like before deciding. I am still trying to figure out what I want, but I am pretty sure I'm going for the larger AVR e-ring. I am adjusting to the color and am not sure I can go higher in color and get the size I want. H would be the highest I'd go because I'd want a little color in an old style cut, but I really love this stone enough as it is to keep it.

Dreamer is right that you could have Jonathan get the culet facet cut, but I am not sure you could see it enough in a .60 for it to be worth the trouble. In fact, this one is so small that I can't really see it most of the time.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

I like alarge culet I can see. Cut it big enough and you can see it in any size!

DS: I was very lucky to get this mount with the diamond. I would never have [aid the $3k - $4k a setting like this would cost in a modern repro, and have not seen one like it in an antique in all my travels (only in completed rings, not when the setting is available on its own). Anyways, I believ the setting makes the ring. Now ::) I get as much pleasure from this mount as the diamond. I love thinking about the teensy weensy saw the metalsmith used to cut out all the lattice work. So interesting.

I would have not issue with an I collor AVR. I mean, for me it would not even be an issue at all! I consider that quite white in a chunky cut. Inan MRB I prefer G or better but in a chunky cut I is just fine.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dreamer_D|1345437056|3254174 said:
I like alarge culet I can see. Cut it big enough and you can see it in any size!

DS: I was very lucky to get this mount with the diamond. I would never have [aid the $3k - $4k a setting like this would cost in a modern repro, and have not seen one like it in an antique in all my travels (only in completed rings, not when the setting is available on its own). Anyways, I believ the setting makes the ring. Now ::) I get as much pleasure from this mount as the diamond. I love thinking about the teensy weensy saw the metalsmith used to cut out all the lattice work. So interesting.

I would have not issue with an I collor AVR. I mean, for me it would not even be an issue at all! I consider that quite white in a chunky cut. Inan MRB I prefer G or better but in a chunky cut I is just fine.

I agree that I like a larger culet facet. If I get this stone or a different one with a very small culet, I may just go ahead and ask Jon to have it cut larger. The downside to that is having to have the stone regraded if I went totally insane and ever sold it. I looked back at my original thread on the 1.63 and said I never planned to trade it, so you know how that goes! :twirl:

I wish I could have gotten a picture of that 3 ct. OEC I saw because it had a mount similar to yours but with something like 8 prongs instead of the bezel. I loved the ring but the stone was too chipped to consider (as in it would have had to be totally recut and then it wouldn't have fit in it's setting...did not show face up but there were pavilion facets chipped).

The mount is a dilemma for me because I do love my Tiffany repro mount and those were around 100 years ago. But it doesn't do justice to the stone, I don't think. I have a gorgeous Beaudry mount here right now with beautiful engraving and milgrain and it is a simple setting with center round and side pears. The side pears are F-G but they are pretty small so I think the contrast would maybe be a plus and not a negative. I just don't know! It would be pretty for sure but I worry a little about giving up a plain solitaire. The one thing I do know is exactly what you and Dem said...I may love my ideal cut stones, but for a ring, I just love this cut more.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock

DS, I think it is absolutely beautiful and you should keep it!!! :naughty:

Your MRB ring is gorgeous too, but if you're no longer happy with it, I would definitely try to sell it and use the AVR for your e-ring. I like Dreamer's suggestion of getting a 3-stone too :wink2:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Update: Jonathan was expecting some new AVR's in around late Sept., so I held out waiting to see what would come in. They just got back from AGS. The rough was estimated as H-J, but as it turned out, all 7 stones graded as J by AGS!!! They went up on the site today and one is already sold. They are in the 1.68-2.26 range. A good time to buy for those who want that size and color! (They are at the bottom of the AVR list on the GOG site.)

I am probably going to get the 1.8 I color stone in this thread since I didn't want to go lower in color than that. I was hoping to compare an H, but I am not so worried about higher color in an antique style stone. And I really don't have the patience to wait for the next batch of stones this size which could be months or more away.

I wasn't sure about putting an AVR this size in the Van C setting because the sample ring had a 7mm stone and I think that looked good in that setting. That was why I sent for the AVC's because I thought one of those might work better in that setting. So I do not know what I will do about a setting. That is the story of my PS life!

So if anyone can think of any pros or cons for me, speak now (or you know how the saying goes)!

D

Deactivated member 42515

Wow! Prices has gone up since May!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm still not sure what your plan is in terms of ering. Is this new stone going to be your ering stone or is it going to be a ring to switch on and off with? Or will it be a right hand ring?

The 1.81 is a lower color/higher clarity stone than you probably wanted. Don't think you'd see a huge difference from H to I but it definitely has more color than your current stone. I realize it's a different cut but will the size and color difference bother you? I guess some of this leads back to the initial question about how you're planning to use this stone.

I guess I thought the plan was to have an antique cut stone in the VC mounting. If the VC is out, then what for a setting? Will you just hold onto the stone until you find a setting that you like? What kind of time frame do you think you'd be looking at for that? If the color is not exactly what you want and the plan is not firm, then I'm on the fence about a decision. I suppose whenever more rough comes up in the proper price/color range is anyone's guess? This must be very frustrating!

I'm not gonna say yeah or nay until I hear your thoughts on 'the plan'! Of course it's a lovely stone but you don't want to get ahead of yourself and make a bad choice - particularly if you set the stone right away and a better one pops up a couple of months down the road. Would be much harder to consider trading in if another wouldn't fit in the mounting you choose.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

MGR..yes, I would wear it as an e-ring. I might put it in the Van C setting if I get it, but I am always indecisive about settings because there so many to choose from! It's just that these stones are so rare in this size range, that I am afraid I will never get one if I wait for some imaginary ideal specs. Not to mention prices could get worse than they already are. I think my main hesitation with the VanC setting is that with a more closed gallery, you wouldn't see the color from the side, and in most lighting, it faces up white enough. I don't mind the slight color in an antique cut, but I probably wouldn't buy a MRB this color.

I love the diamond. Settings are hard to make a commitment to when you can't try the stone in the setting in advance! My current setting was easy because of it's simplicity. And I would feel better about the whole plan if I had the setting decided 100%, too.

ariel144

Ideal_Rock

That 2.26 J with medium blue fl. looks awesome...kozibe effect all! Of course they are all beautiful.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/9865/

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ariel144|1349544180|3280593 said:
That 2.26 J with medium blue fl. looks awesome...kozibe effect all! Of course they are all beautiful.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/9865/

That one is a little above budget and also a little large in size for me, but the fluoro is a great plus on this one!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

diamondseeker2006|1349499163|3280404 said:
MGR..yes, I would wear it as an e-ring. I might put it in the Van C setting if I get it, but I am always indecisive about settings because there so many to choose from! It's just that these stones are so rare in this size range, that I am afraid I will never get one if I wait for some imaginary ideal specs. Not to mention prices could get worse than they already are. I think my main hesitation with the VanC setting is that with a more closed gallery, you wouldn't see the color from the side, and in most lighting, it faces up white enough. I don't mind the slight color in an antique cut, but I probably wouldn't buy a MRB this color.

I love the diamond. Settings are hard to make a commitment to when you can't try the stone in the setting in advance! My current setting was easy because of it's simplicity. And I would feel better about the whole plan if I had the setting decided 100%, too.

Well, if it is to be your ering, that makes the picture a bit clearer. Now all you have to do is find a setting that you love. There really are a lot of pretty ones and while the VC is pretty, it doesn't have to be the be all, end all of settings. I understand not wanting to let the opportunity slip by so if you love the stone and are OK with the color than I say go for it!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Does a setting like this interest you at all? http://www.mc2jewels.com/availablerings/9391.html

I've always admired the workmanship of their rings!

I also love Victor Canera's ring with french cuts - like Bright Ice's ring. Don't know how that might work with your Tiffany's band but that ring is stunning IMO! It's probably more of a stand alone ring but it certainly commands a presence.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

MGR...I also love MC2 and all their beautiful pieces! I think that flower setting would be beautiful for a RHR, but I don't think I could do it for my e-ring.

There has been a disappointing development today and it turns everything upside down. Yesterday I saw the new stones and determined I would be better off sticking with the 1.8 I color stone. But that kind of altered my plans to get the VanC ring because I'd maybe want more side coverage with I color. So I was looking through my setting folder and sending some ideas to Victor who would be my first choice to make a custom setting if I didn't go with the VanC. While I was doing that today, Jonathan sent me a message that someone else put "my" diamond on hold with another salesperson! He tried to give me a quick chance to buy it, but I had to ask him a couple of questions and by the time he was able to get back to me, it was too late. Obviously it is not over until they actually pay. But it is not looking good and there is no other AVR that will work.

I guess about all I can do now if the stone sells is just do nothing or maybe look for antique rings. I am just not sure I am up to that much trouble, though. It's a good thing I haven't sold my current e-ring!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

DS, I am sorry! What are the chances that this would have happened while you were deciding? However, I do truly believe all things happen for a reason. Just means there is something better for you around the corner. In the meanwhile, you do have your current ering to wear and enjoy.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1349564611|3280734 said:
MGR...I also love MC2 and all their beautiful pieces! I think that flower setting would be beautiful for a RHR, but I don't think I could do it for my e-ring.

There has been a disappointing development today and it turns everything upside down. Yesterday I saw the new stones and determined I would be better off sticking with the 1.8 I color stone. But that kind of altered my plans to get the VanC ring because I'd maybe want more side coverage with I color. So I was looking through my setting folder and sending some ideas to Victor who would be my first choice to make a custom setting if I didn't go with the VanC. While I was doing that today, Jonathan sent me a message that someone else put "my" diamond on hold with another salesperson! He tried to give me a quick chance to buy it, but I had to ask him a couple of questions and by the time he was able to get back to me, it was too late. Obviously it is not over until they actually pay. But it is not looking good and there is no other AVR that will work.

I guess about all I can do now if the stone sells is just do nothing or maybe look for antique rings. I am just not sure I am up to that much trouble, though. It's a good thing I haven't sold my current e-ring!

So sorry to hear about your troubles... :angryfire: :angryfire:

Yes, as missgotrocks says, there is another beauty out there waiting for you....and most probably at a better price! :appl:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

MissGotRocks|1349564950|3280738 said:
DS, I am sorry! What are the chances that this would have happened while you were deciding? However, I do truly believe all things happen for a reason. Just means there is something better for you around the corner. In the meanwhile, you do have your current ering to wear and enjoy.

I know. The ring has sat there ever since I sent for it to look at, and it (maybe) sells within a day of the arrival of the other stones.

But I believe what you said. Thank you!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

gregchang35|1349565656|3280743 said:
So sorry to hear about your troubles... :angryfire: :angryfire:

Yes, as missgotrocks says, there is another beauty out there waiting for you....and most probably at a better price! :appl:

Thank you so much, Greg! I hope so!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

diamondseeker2006|1349565841|3280745 said:

I know. The ring has sat there ever since I sent for it to look at, and it (maybe) sells within a day of the arrival of the other stones.

Hang in there - the best is yet to be! Hugs to you!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

MissGotRocks|1349567110|3280753 said:
diamondseeker2006|1349565841|3280745 said:

Hang in there - the best is yet to be! Hugs to you!

Thanks, my friend! :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results