shape
carat
color
clarity

Proper way to refer to a doctor in a term paper?

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
For my MPA leadership course I am writing a final paper on Dr. Bernadine Healy, former president of Red Cross. When discussing her in the paper, do I refer to her as "Bernadine", "Dr. Healy", or "Healy"? I think the right way is "Healy" but I'm not certain. I'm sorry if this is a dumb question but I can't seem to find the info online (everything explains how to cite a doctor but I don't think I'm really citing her) and my professor is not responding to my emails. The paper is due tonight (everything is written, I'm just not sure if I referred to her correctly) so I'd thought I'd see if anyone here knew the correct way since everyone is always so helpful around here 8)

TIA!!! :wavey:

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it would be just by last name, so "Healy." But I may be confusing APA style and AP style in my head.

Will you get points taken off for how you choose to refer to someone in the paper? Your professor may just not care if it's not a composition class. In both of my grad classes the professors didn't care how you cited authors, just as long as you cited them.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haven is the English teacher around here, so I am sure she'll have the answer for you if she sees this!

It has been too long since I have written a term paper, but I am thinking the first time you refer to her, you write out Dr. and her full name, and after that, either Dr. Healy or Healy.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1344960507|3251313 said:
Haven is the English teacher around here, so I am sure she'll have the answer for you if she sees this!

It has been too long since I have written a term paper, but I am thinking the first time you refer to her, you write out Dr. and her full name, and after that, either Dr. Healy or Healy.
:bigsmile:

This page has answers for you if you're writing this paper in APA style:
http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/560/03/

If you're writing in a different style you can do a search for "XYZ style in-text citations" and that should lead you to helpful information.

Happy writing!

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
thing2of2|1344960371|3251308 said:
I think it would be just by last name, so "Healy." But I may be confusing APA style and AP style in my head.

Will you get points taken off for how you choose to refer to someone in the paper? Your professor may just not care if it's not a composition class. In both of my grad classes the professors didn't care how you cited authors, just as long as you cited them.

I think you're right thing2 that it should be just "Healy".

And I really don't think I'll get points taken off but I'm really not sure with this professor, she seems to be randomly picky about the strangest things...

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock

Thanks DS, looks like Haven heard you giving her a shout-out :bigsmile:

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
Haven|1344961949|3251323 said:

This page has answers for you if you're writing this paper in APA style:
http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/560/03/

If you're writing in a different style you can do a search for "XYZ style in-text citations" and that should lead you to helpful information.

Happy writing!

Thank you Haven, I am using APA so that is quite helpful! I have a writing guide with MLA, APA, etc and of course I left it at home today and I go straight to class from work :knockout: So according to that guide, it looks like I should just use her last name... Thanks again!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Healy, Dr. Bernadine Healy are fine, Dr. Healy a bit more rare. Not Bernadine.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
You got it, Stargurl! Surname only. Never first name, and when using APA, never Dr. Healy or Dr. Bernadine Healy.

I love Purdue's OWL. Diana Hacker has a great website, too. I don't buy MLA or APA guides anymore, to be honest. I use online resources, and if there's something very specific that I need, the college library always has copies of current guides.

I would have just given you the answer, but that's just against my nature as a teacher.
Good teachers don't give answers, they empower others to find the answers for themselves.

Good luck finishing this paper!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haven|1344969923|3251393 said:
I would have just given you the answer, but that's just against my nature as a teacher.
Good teachers don't give answers, they empower others to find the answers for themselves.

You are adorable ::)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Um. I meant that in a good way, and not as weirdly as it came out :rodent:

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yssie-- :bigsmile:
Thank you. ::)

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
Haven|1344969923|3251393 said:
You got it, Stargurl! Surname only. Never first name, and when using APA, never Dr. Healy or Dr. Bernadine Healy.

I love Purdue's OWL. Diana Hacker has a great website, too. I don't buy MLA or APA guides anymore, to be honest. I use online resources, and if there's something very specific that I need, the college library always has copies of current guides.

Good luck finishing this paper!

Thanks Haven! I didn't mind having to work for it :bigsmile: My friend actually ended up sending me that same link. That's probably what I'll start using (although I'll be sad to put down my beat-up little manual that I've used since I took my first college English course).

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
You're welcome!

If it makes it any easier to part with your old manual, it's probably out-of-date by now anyway. :cheeky:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results