• AB+

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • AB-

Votes: 3 3.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am O positive and my husband is B positive and my twins are both O positive. We found out because one of my boys was going to need a transfusion but later didn't (thank goodness).

amc80

Ideal_Rock
part gypsy|1343653671|3242861 said:
Has anyone heard of incompatibility between mother and baby that was not due to rh negative or positive? I'm 0+, my husband is AB+ so I know my daughter is positive too (I think she was AB, but not sure)

Two Rh+ parents can produce an Rh- child, just so you know. The only time Rh factor is a sure thing is when both parents are negative, in which case the child would be negative.

Check out this chart-
http://www.crossbees.com/blood-group-combination-matrix.html

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, didn't realize two positive parents could make a - baby. But I remember the personnel saying it wasn't because she was RH -.
What is interesting, whatever that incompatibility, it happened to my MIL when she had my husband, so she was the only one that was not freaking out about the jaundice.

So I know mine and my husband's blood type, but don't know what type my two kids are!

ETA- looked it up, there is something called ABO incompatability, I'm sure that is what is was. I sure remember reading about the RH - when pregnant, but not about this!

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Octavia|1343420572|3241527 said:
Diamond*Dana|1343275950|3240299 said:

Yay, I've never "met" anyone else with my blood type (not that I go around asking most people, haha!). Weird thing is, the hospital put B- on all my birth paperwork so that's what I grew up thinking, but when I was in HS I was blood-typed and found to be AB-. I insisted it was a mistake and they ran the test twice more with the same result! If my brother and I hadn't looked exactly alike as kids, I would wonder if I was switched at birth...

ETA I wish I could donate but I spent too much time in England around the time of the mad cow disease scare, so I'm not allowed :nono:
Wow, a whole two of us! Lol

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
part gypsy|1343653671|3242861 said:
Has anyone heard of incompatibility between mother and baby that was not due to rh negative or positive? I'm 0+, my husband is AB+ so I know my daughter is positive too (I think she was AB, but not sure), but still she developed jaundice after birth due to her body rejecting my blood. It was much milder than if it was an rh incompatibility but still it meant we were in the hospital a few extra days.
I guess I should have been paying more attention!

Yup, it seems strange but your daughter can be a negative but she can't be a O or AB. She can only be A or B + or -. I am also O+ and DH is AB+ and it is weird our little one won't share either of our blood types.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Nice to see I'm not the only AB negative around here :D

p.s. My DD is an A negative. I had those shots when I was pregnant. Can't remember how it all works.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
movie zombie|1343005396|3238318 said:
back in the day the rhogam was only given after the birth of the first child....or at miscarriage. that was way back in the day, like almost 40 years ago. i rec'd it after a miscarriage and then AFTER the birth of my daughter in 1974. guess they've learned a thing or two since then if its now also given at 28 weeks? oh, and i was supposed to carry a medical card that indicated not only my A- blood type but that i had rec'd the rhogam shot and if ever admitted for a miscarriage and/or birth i was to receive the shot again.

Come to think of it. I also had some type of card given to me.

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
I'm B+ and I also don't have CMV.
My mom is O-.
I was the second child she had but neither of us had issues even though there was no RHoGRAM at that time (1957) especially not where we were (rural Latin America). Later a sister and brother were born also Rh+ with no issues, in the early sixties. but when my youngest brother was born he had to be induced prematurely because there were issues. (This was in 1967 and we were in NY at that time). My mom has told me that she was part of some medical study in the early 60's because the drs were trying to figure out why the child #2, 3 and 4 were healthy in spite of the incompatibility. But I don't know much about this.
I do know my older brother was premature and they attributed his cerebral palsy to the prematurity (which was becuase he was premature) but it turned out that none of this is true. You don't get cerebral palsy from being premature.
I should probably go and ask my mother more details about this--I'm very unclear about it all and don't quite understand the science and what was misinformation and what was true (as I stated, there was a lot of misinformation due to us being in a foreign country first, and later in the US the drs didn't know what they do today). The main thing that has stuck in my mind is that my mother believed (rightly or wrongly) that she should not have further children after my brother, who died, because she was RH- and that she became pregnant with me by accident and was really shocked that I was healthy. And then drs in NY were shocked by me and my healthy brother and sister. The knowledge of today was not there at that time.

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
I'm B+ and I also don't have CMV.
My mom is O-.
I was the second child she had but neither of us had issues even though there was no RHoGRAM at that time (1957) especially not where we were (rural Latin America). Later a sister and brother were born also Rh+ with no issues, in the early sixties. but when my youngest brother was born he had to be induced prematurely because there were issues. (This was in 1967 and we were in NY at that time). My mom has told me that she was part of some medical study in the early 60's because the drs were trying to figure out why the child #2, 3 and 4 were healthy in spite of the incompatibility. But I don't know much about this.
I do know my older brother was premature and they attributed his cerebral palsy to the prematurity (which was becuase he was premature) but it turned out that none of this is true. You don't get cerebral palsy from being premature.
I should probably go and ask my mother more details about this--I'm very unclear about it all and don't quite understand the science and what was misinformation and what was true (as I stated, there was a lot of misinformation due to us being in a foreign country first, and later in the US the drs didn't know what they do today). The main thing that has stuck in my mind is that my mother believed (rightly or wrongly) that she should not have further children after my brother, who died, because she was RH- and that she became pregnant with me by accident and was really shocked that I was healthy. And then drs in NY were shocked by me and my healthy brother and sister. The knowledge of today was not there at that time.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results