shape
carat
color
clarity

Help an Aussie newbie with purchasing online

Mav01

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I need some help deciding with an online purchase of an engagement ring. My BF is letting me chose what I want and I've fallen in love with the Gabriel & Co 4181 model. Here's some examples I've found on PS.
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/gabriel-co-setting-with-gog-cushion.126959/
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/engaged-ring-from-i-d-jewelry.135528/

I want to set it with a round diamond. Now, my main concern is that I live in Australia and won't be able to see any diamonds in person. I'll be relying on photos, reports and ultimately the jewellers judgment. I want to get it right first time, and not run the risk of having to send it back to the US if something's not right.

I've mainly been looking on ID Jewelry (as they stock the Gabriel & Co setting), but also on James Allen as they have pictures of the diamonds which has been great to look through. The more I research and find out about diamonds, the more overwhelmed I get!!

What do you suggest I do? Let ID Jewelry find some diamonds for me and set the ring? Purchase the diamond from someone else with a bigger range and then have it set in Australia?

My budget for the stone is about $2500 - $3000. Ideally I'd like something around the 0.80ct mark (of course I'd like bigger but the budget doesn't stretch that far!). J colour SI1 or better (I think that's reasonable for the price?!).

The main reason for purchasing online is that everything I've found here in Australia is overpriced.

Thanks everyone

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe Good Old Gold. They have the settings and lots of pictures.

Mav01

Rough_Rock
Thanks Julie, I'll give them a look.

oohsparkly

Shiny_Rock
Hi Mavo1,

It might work out best to buy online from the US, but just remember that whatever you buy over the limit of $1000 will incur the 10% GST as it comes through customs so the online price you see is not what you'll actually end up paying.

mrsthomas

Shiny_Rock
Hiya! I live in Sydney and purchased my earrings from Whiteflash. They are just gorgeous and were definitely worth the risk. They have a 14 day return policy on their ACA & Expert Selection Diamonds (not on the settings though) and even including GST were a much less expensive option that walking into a store anywhere in Sydney.

Good luck!

Mav01

Rough_Rock
I've factored in the GST so there'll be no nasty customs surprises ;-)

I've spent way too much time looking on Whiteflash! They seem excellent, but just can't find a setting I love...

mrsthomas

Shiny_Rock
I could be wrong but Im sure you could ask for your diamond of choice to be sent to the setter. No harm in asking anyway! I hope you find what you're looking for - so exciting for you!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results