shape
carat
color
clarity

Can someone pretty please help me find a suitable diamond?

Laethia

Rough_Rock
Hi!

I'd be so grateful for some help finding a suitable diamond for an engagement ring! My boyfriend is happy with me doing all the research etc but I think is starting to get a little frustrated with me wanting to get the "perfect" one

I posted about a diamond I thought was OK and then learnt about the HCA calculator, crown angles...lots of things I hadn't even considered before :oops: The problem is, the diamond had already been ordered, and the site it was from only does exchanges. I' emailed them and hopefully waiting to hear back that the diamond hadn't been set yet!

So I'd need a diamond from this website:
http://www.diamondrocks.co.uk/Diamond+Engagement+Rings/Design+Your+Own+Ring.htm?step=2&shape=Round
The link is to "design your own" round brilliants and the diamond selection is at the bottom of the page. The certificates for angles etc can be viewed by clicking on the "GIA" of that diamond and then in the popup window "View certificate" immediately underneath the diamond image. For some reason this doesn't seem to be an option on all stones :???:

Our budget for the diamond is up to around £700 (the price next to diamonds, not including VAT!) but £600 would be most sensible...although I think my boyfriend just wants me to have something I'd love :D

I'd like a GIA certified diamond, as "big" (carat or dimensions within good proportions!) as possible but not below say 0.42ct. SI1 or above, anything else I trust your judgements on!

The diamond would be set in a yellow gold band for four white gold prongs.

Please help a desperate girl!

Thanks so much for reading, any suggestions generally or of a specific diamond on the site would be very much appreciated from the bottom of my heart.
xxx

Laethia

Rough_Rock
Re: Can someone pretty please help me find a suitable diamon

thbmok|1343035429|3238435 said:
Given that it seems to be a virtual listing of stones without actual images, I suggest sticking with stones with at least VS2 clarity. This would be my pick based on your budget.
http://www.diamondrocks.co.uk/certificate.php?products_id=1946132
https://myapps.gia.edu/ReportCheckPortal/getReportData.do?&reportno=5136339642&weight=0.42
Thankyou!! 1.4 on HCA. "Better" colour than the last one too :) I like the sound of this one.

Does anyone have another suggestion? I'd really like to show to lovely boyfriend a couple of options so we can pick together, I'm being my usual obsessive self always wanting as close to perfection as possible and ruining the experience for him :(

https://myapps.gia.edu/ReportCheckPortal/getReportData.do?&reportno=5136656975&weight=0.44 How does this one look to you guys?

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock

That one looks promising too, just make sure you are OK with J color. It'll face up white but you may notice a slight tint when looking at the stone from the side or at an angle.

Laethia

Rough_Rock

thbmok|1343041252|3238442 said:
That one looks promising too, just make sure you are OK with J color. It'll face up white but you may notice a slight tint when looking at the stone from the side or at an angle.
*hugs you* thankyou thbmok. I've told my partner the problem and he was lovely about it and said we'd pick out a better diamond :) Are most people ok with J stones?

Would I notice much of a size difference between say a better coloured 0.35ct and a I/J 0.42ct? This whole thing is fascinating but confusing, I had no idea before but I think its sparked a passion!

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock

No problem! Most of us are on PS because it's somewhat of a passion to talk about gemstones!

I think most people start noticing a slight tint when looking at a stone by itself from the side or at an angle (without comparing to a D side by side) at the J/K boundary. But just because you can see the tint does not necessary mean that you don't like it. IMO personal preferences play a huge role. FYI brands like Cartier/Tiffany carries and sells stones down to H/I color for colorless diamonds.

I find that I can only see a memorable difference in size (without comparing the stones side by side) when the diameter of well cut rounds are at least 0.3mm apart. YMMV.

Venti25

Shiny_Rock

If it's going to be set in yellow gold, I think the diamond is going to pick up a little yellow anyway, so IMO J should be okay. By any chance can you have a look at different gia graded stones for colour?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

That last one you picked is an SI1. Can you find out if its eye-clean? Since you are working with virtual stones it would
really be better to stick with VS2 or higher. Chances an SI1 at that size would be eye-clean are pretty good but you never
know.

I have a .46 J (well cut) that looks pretty white as long as you dont put it next to a D colored stone (which I also have).
Can you go to a B&M store and view some well cut stones to see if the color would bother you?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

There are several GIA Excellent .41.-.42 H VS2 stones but they are not allowing me to click on the actual GIA report so I am unable to look at the angles. These are within your budget and that is what I'd recommend IF we can get them to provide the GIA report numbers so we can figure out the best ones. I personally wouldn't go down to J color because I can start seeing the tint in J's.

Laethia

Rough_Rock

Thankyou for the replies! I have seen some beautiful diamonds on this forum but its quite difficult to get a true idea of colour when you can't freely move the actual thing around in different lights.

I will take a trip to a b&m store with my boyfriend after he finishes work and see what we think :D I'm ginger so warmer colours suit me anyway, hope it will be the same for diamonds! Very exciting.

The higher colour grades without reports seem strange, I think these might be stones that were priced incorrectly and removed from the system. The first stone we picked for our first order was GIA excellent cut g colour VS1 0.54cts excellent polish and symmetry for only £650, we were rather upset when we got the email to say it was a pricing error! :lol:

Laethia

Rough_Rock

Well, I could see a very small amount of colour in the J. Hardly anything, but I thought over time it just might bug me, so we went for thbmok's suggested diamond :mrgreen: Thankyou thbmok!

I'm so excited to see it, but my boyfriend isn't going to "officially" propose until mid-August! I don't think I can wait that long! I will definately post pictures when I can!

Thanks so much for all your help everyone, its all very exciting :love: I'm going to stick around and keep reading about diamonds because its such a detailed subject and its great to have something new to study!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm late getting to this thread but I think you've made a great choice - so glad this all worked out for you!

Laethia

Rough_Rock

thbmok|1343035429|3238435 said:
Given that it seems to be a virtual listing of stones without actual images, I suggest sticking with stones with at least VS2 clarity. This would be my pick based on your budget.
http://www.diamondrocks.co.uk/certificate.php?products_id=1946132
https://myapps.gia.edu/ReportCheckPortal/getReportData.do?&reportno=5136339642&weight=0.42

Well, my lovely boyfriend kept the ring at work and finally gave it to me on a romantic weekend away in Cambridge :love:

Thankyou so much for all your help and advice :) My ring is just perfect, I love it so much and I'm really glad we went for yellow gold :)

Here are a couple of pics, sorry they aren't the best but thought you might like to see them!! Apologies for the nails, I've never been a manicure girl.

We're both very happy and enjoying coming up with wedding ideas already!

2012-08-18_12-40-25_511.jpg 2012-08-18_12-51-23_144.jpg

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Looks lovely on your hand!!!! :appl:

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hi,

It looks beautiful. I also like the gold band.

Annette

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock

Congrats!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results