shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for a tsavorite on a budget

tara3056

Shiny_Rock
Yeah, I agree with giff1023 - don't be put off by Bruce's pictures. They are not the gorgeous glamour shots you see from other vendors but his stones looked really good in real life. Some were cut better than others and since that seems really important to you, I'd be sure to emphasize that to him.

Like I said, my budget was a bit higher than yours, and he knew my price range when selecting the "list" of stones I could choose from, but even so, there were a handful in my list that were within your budget. I was mainly looking at cushion cuts. I won't list prices publicly just in case Bruce would mind, but there were these:

Tsavorite, Antique-Cushion, 0.67 carats, 5 x 5 mm, Medium-Plus (vibrant rich grass green) colour tone, VS clarity.

Tsavorite, Cushion, 0.85 carats, 6.2 x 4.78 mm, Medium-Plus (vibrant rich grass green) colour tone, VVS clarity.

Tsavorite, Cushion, 1.04 carats, 6.2 x 5.36 mm, Medium-Plus (vibrant rich grass green) colour tone, VVS clarity.

Tsavorite, Round 0.71 carats, 5.45 mm, Medium-Plus (vibrant rich grass green) colour tone, VS clarity.

Tsavorite, Round 0.90 carats, 6.15 mm, Medium-Plus (vibrant rich grass green) colour tone, VS clarity.

I ended up previewing 1 Medium color, 2 Medium-Pluses, and 1 Medium-Dark. I found the medium to be too light and the medium tones seem like they have the most yellow. The Medium Pluses were beautiful and I sincerely thought that was my ideal tsavorite color. They were pretty much pure green, no yellow, and lovely. However, the Med-Dark was the one that exhibited the blue hues I really wanted, so I chose a Med-Dark in the end. I think the two you showed on this thread look like the ones Bruce classified as Med-Plus, maybe even just a titch lighter than what he is calling Med-Plus.

Anyway, my whole point was that he has stuff in your budget and his pictures are terrible representations of how the stones really look. That he happens to be a brilliantly nice guy who's fun to chat with is a bonus :)

jbkhere

Brilliant_Rock
mimB|1343071895|3238675 said:
distracts|1343070104|3238655 said:
I just recently was shopping for a tsavorite for a ring with a pretty similar budget, looking for about a one carat round. I ended up with a square cushion. Go figure. I bought it from Gemrite.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/new-tsavorite.176966/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/new-tsavorite.176966/[/URL]

It is lighter and yellower than the "ideal" color for tsavorite, but I slightly prefer the lighter, yellower ones. The cushion shows dark spots when you look at it up close or from an extreme viewing angle, but you can see from the handshots that at normal viewing distance it is just glowy bright green. It's one carat and I got it for less than your stone budget. I was originally looking for a round, and a lot of those were at least twice as expensive as this one in similar sizes, but I kept coming back to the picture of this one on the Gemrite site and ended up getting it. I have tried to take some better comparison pictures of it for you with my darker Barry Bridgestock-cut tsavorite, but right now I can't get them in focus at the same time or, if I do that, I end up obstructing the light from the darker one and killing its pretty glow. The lighter one does seem to sparkle more though.

Do you live anywhere near where an Intergem show will be soon? Vance Gems usually has a good selection of tsavorite, and I imagine Prima Gems does as well, though I haven't actually looked at their tsavorite that I can recall (I vividly remember their spessartite and pink spinels and chrysoberyls though!).

Distracts!
The last two pics of your thread is what actually got me to decide that - that's it, I can't wait any longer, I'm getting myself one :D
It looks sooo good in that gold temp setting!!

There's a show in Chantilly VA coming up in mid August, which is about 1 hour drive away from me - it's a good suggestion, I'll consider it. Most likely though, it won't be an option - it's on the weekend of my final project deadline for a Java course I'm taking, and I haven't been very able to turn things in early in this course... But perhaps the stars will align :)

I actually attended an Intergem show this spring, and it was kind of overwhelming and not very interesting (I clearly missed how to view everything properly). I was too shocked by all the bright lights and sparkle to actually speak to any vendors, and in terms of stones people had on ready display, none of tsavorites looked appealing. :/

I just went to Intergem in Baltimore. I can't recommend Vance Gems highly enough. I had the best time there with them. Now maybe I was just there at the right time but they were happy to show me anything. Pulled things out they thought I'd find fun to see. They were REALLY great and have a lot more than just what is in their case.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not the best picture from Pala: http://www.palagems.com/tsavorite_bancroft.htm#buying_guide
There are 3 stones shown.
The left is too light and desaturated.
The stone in the center is considered ideal (not too light and not too dark with good saturation)
The tsavorite on the right is too dark. It shows some nice bright areas though, but overall, is not an ideal stone.

Some people really like darker tsavorites though, so it's a personal preference.

tsavorite_suite.jpg

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
mimB|1343071895|3238675 said:
Distracts!
The last two pics of your thread is what actually got me to decide that - that's it, I can't wait any longer, I'm getting myself one :D
It looks sooo good in that gold temp setting!!

There's a show in Chantilly VA coming up in mid August, which is about 1 hour drive away from me - it's a good suggestion, I'll consider it. Most likely though, it won't be an option - it's on the weekend of my final project deadline for a Java course I'm taking, and I haven't been very able to turn things in early in this course... But perhaps the stars will align :)

I actually attended an Intergem show this spring, and it was kind of overwhelming and not very interesting (I clearly missed how to view everything properly). I was too shocked by all the bright lights and sparkle to actually speak to any vendors, and in terms of stones people had on ready display, none of tsavorites looked appealing. :/

Haha, I'm glad my little stone was an inspiration!

I certainly understand the annoyingness and precedence of Java projects. But if you do happen to have time, the way I have learned to navigate gem shows is to have a short list of things I am looking for, a set budget, and a short list of "must-see" vendors. Write down the vendor number from the website, and when you get inside, grab a map and highlight the vendors you want to hit, then go to those first and scope out what they have. Only then can you wander and look at other things - whatever you want at the vendors on your list probably isn't going to sell while you look, so you can compare inventories. The people at Vance Gems and Prima Gems are both incredibly nice and enthusiastic and love to show you all the cool things they have, even cool things they know you have no intention of buying.

This isn't a square cushion, but it's still a cushion and looks potentially awesome: http://www.ebay.com/itm/PRECISION-CUSHION-CUT-1-49CT-NEON-GREEN-TSAVORITE-WATCH-VIDEO-/370623147865?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item564adc6f59

In conclusion, tsavorites are pretty. Soooo pretty.

mimB

Shiny_Rock
GemFever|1343087178|3238789 said:
I think if you go with a specific stone in mind, you'll be able to check out most of the vendors and make some choices. It's the hardest to navigate Intergem when you don't know what you want, then your eyes start wandering in all the different directions.

That said, I'd keep looking online... less rush, less pressure, more time to ask PSers for their opinions and make an educated decision.

I actually went to last one with the main intent of checking out tsavorites - but the intent was vague, my SO was visibly and quickly bored, and I was far too shy to speak to vendors (was afraid they'd act like salesmen and try to push their products) - in the end, as you know, all we got was scarves :)

Ooh, btw - that Intergem visit was the official death of my obsession for gemstone beads - there were a ton being sold wholesale, and I didn't see any strands that made me madly want them.

mimB

Shiny_Rock
Chrono|1343043279|3238445 said:

When evaluating whether to keep or return the stone, I take into consideration how it performs in both indoor and outdoor lighting. For some, as long as the stone looks great under the type of lighting they are using the most often is sufficient which is great for the budget conscious. I'm pickier so it has to perform under all types of lighting, hence these type of stones are generally a bit pricier.

So actually, on the topic of seeing how a stone performs in various lighting conditions...
When you guys get stones, do you take them to work with you, before you've decided to keep them or not?
Since I figure there goes 1/3 of how a stone will look...
I'm a little terrified of taking them outside the house, lol - first stones with such a price tag - I was even paranoid taking them out on the balcony.

-----------------------------------------------
I've also gone ahead and contacted two more vendors upon recommendations from you guys:
1) Jason Brim at Select Gem for the tsavorite seen here:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151019165894861.449581.314821064860&type=1
2) Brude Bridges at Tsavorite.com

So I hope to have more fun tsavorite pictures to share with you next week.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I certainly take the stone under consideration to work as well, nestled in the little case, since I spend a good portion of my time there. Caution is taken when opening the case to be sure the stone doesn't jump out and decide to fall on a hard surface.

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
mimB|1343232920|3239758 said:
Ooh, btw - that Intergem visit was the official death of my obsession for gemstone beads - there were a ton being sold wholesale, and I didn't see any strands that made me madly want them.

*Moment of silence for the gemstone bead* That was fun while it lasted! Maybe it'll come back sometime? But I also found myself completely over them. Maybe once you go to fine quality faceted stones... it's hard to go back.

Also, I'd be more terrified of taking a stone out on the balcony than just outside (with the ground nearby), or work. I always take em to work with me :bigsmile:

mimB

Shiny_Rock
Here's me checking in again. :)
Finally remembered to take the stones to work - I have lights right over my cubicle (as I guess does everyone in my building), but only an I-phone to take photos with. Yvonne's stone still outperforms, in my opinion.
The funny thing about resulting photos... is that my skin tone changes from an unhealthy pink to this strange pale color, but the stone colors miraculously remain the same.

What's weird in taking pictures of these stones is that Gary's is very visibly more yellow to the eye, and not all on camera.

img_3142.png

img_3146.png

img_3148.png

img_3152.png

mimB

Shiny_Rock
And at this point I hope for more help!
Bruce replied and provided photos of 6 stones - I'm attaching them with descriptions.
I inquires whether I can take a look at several of them at the same time, and am now waiting to hear back - but in case he says yes, I'm in trouble - I can't tell which ones it would be a good idea to look at!
As you guys said, the photos are difficult to read.

I'm going to attach one or two per post, and voice my newbie thoughts.

A) Tsavorite, Antique-Cushion, 0.67 carats, 5 x 5 mm, Medium-Plus
(vibrant rich grass green) colour tone, VS clarity

I'm having trouble identifying the lighting - is it from the top? Is this why the stone looks so much darker in the center than on the edges?
The facets seem small and cute, so perhaps it's brilliant. It's the smallest stone, so while being the least expensive, it likely look too small in a bezel - so less setting choices. I like that it's almost a round, rather than an obvious rectangle.
Tara - I feel like you also received a photo of this stone?

B) Tsavorite, Cushion, 0.82 carats, 5.83 x 5.39 mm, Medium-Plus (vibrant
rich grass green) colour tone, VS clarity

This one is just interesting. I can see two shades of green - a yellowish in the center, and a bluish on the top edges - do you guys think it would actually look like this in life?
I wonder if the back facets are really large - I don't know whether it qualifies as a window, but I think it might just make the center not very lively?

tsavorite-0.jpg

_333.jpg

mimB

Shiny_Rock
The next two...

C) Tsavorite, Antique-Cushion, 1.00 carats, 6.03 x 5.64 mm, Medium
(vibrant grass green) colour tone, VVS clarity

I expect I'd like the cut on this one. I also like that it doesn't have patches of darkness the Medium-Plus' seem to have. It does have random small spots of light close to the center of the stone - is that leakage, or just reflecting facets? In any case, I'm not sure how visible or distracting it would be in person.
I anticipate that in this one and the next one, the table is pretty large - which I guess would mean that the crown isn't too tall? Would this be a good thing for the visual qualities of the stone?
Btw, though I don't have the depth dimensions, none of these look too deep to me?

D) Tsavorite, Cushion, 1.02 carats, 6.42 x 5.80 mm, Medium-Minus (vivid
spring green) colour tone, VS clarity

I have similar thoughts about this stone as about the previous one, except that it's visibly a tone lighter that medium-plus's. I would be curious to see it simply for compare the tone differences.
Also, from the photos, it doesn't seem like the medium-minus is a more yellow springy version of a medium-plus - but a slightly washed out intensity of the same color. Does it appear this way to anyone else?

_336.jpg

_337.jpg

mimB

Shiny_Rock
Final batch:

E) Tsavorite, Radiant, 0.79 carats, 5.45 x 5.07 mm, Medium-Plus (vibrant
rich grass green) colour tone, VS clarity

The radiant... it tempting to look at for the sake of the cut (and because it's the only photo whether the color of the reflections is evident). I suspect that it'll have the same windmill effect of reflecting light as I saw in Yvonne's stone - where every second of the 8 major planes creating the back facets light up and every first is off and dark.
But I'm beginning to suspect that it's what one can expect of a rectangular stone that isn't cut in some fancy, flowery style.

F) Tsavorite, Round, 0.90 carats, 6.15 mm, Medium-Plus (vibrant rich
grass green) colour tone, VS clarity

So I definitely won't be looking at this stone, because round is too perfect of a shape and feels boring.
But I wonder - that epic star window surrounded by darkness - it IS because the lighting is overhead, right? As in, would common lighting conditions ever be able to reproduce this effect?

tsavorite_0.jpg

_338.jpg

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Having seen Yvonne's stone in person... man, it's electric! The pics don't show the color or the intensity at all. What a bummer that is. My guess is that you're just going to have to be patient and keep ordering and returning until you find the one you love. If I were to go by pics only, I'd think the non-Yvonne stone is better cut, looks more attractive. But having seen the color on Yvonne's (Jaimeen's) cushion... I had to catch my breath, as I'm sure you noticed ;))

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The two tsavorites seem to like your office lighting. :bigsmile:

Bruce's tsavorites:
I think the darkness might be due to his head / camera obstruction which is causing the shadow to reflect onto the tsavorite. The first one is definitely a square cushion. However, because it is smaller, the rounded corners gives it the illusion of almost being a round stone.

With a rectangular stone, you are going to get some pretty big and some pretty small facets. They are not going to be mostly of the same size because of the shape. What you happened to see is the light bringing that large facet or two to the forefront. This is normal.
Here's what I mean.
http://www.finewatergems.com/spinel.html

The 1 ct tsav is less saturated than the rest. The random spots of light are probably just a touch of sparkle or something. Seriously, I doubt anybody can spot that in real life without a loupe in a 6 mm stone, if that is leakage (which I doubt it is).

The 4th stone looks a little yellower than the rest.
The radiant does show a lot of contrast brilliance - too much for me personally.
The star you see in the round happens when you shine a lot of light straight down through a dark stone and see that light leakage.

Please don't take offense but you are over-analyzing all these stones. While I do like to scrutinize pictures of gemstones, there is such a thing as going overboard. Some of these little details are very difficult to spot with the stone in hand. Take a deep breath and step back for a moment.

Since you have several potential stones from Bruce, how about having them photographed together? Just pick 2 or three of your top choices all on a single hand. Get the full HxLxW dimensions for those as well.

mimB

Shiny_Rock
Chrono|1343417479|3241497 said:
The two tsavorites seem to like your office lighting. :bigsmile:

Please don't take offense but you are over-analyzing all these stones. While I do like to scrutinize pictures of gemstones, there is such a thing as going overboard. Some of these little details are very difficult to spot with the stone in hand. Take a deep breath and step back for a moment.

Since you have several potential stones from Bruce, how about having them photographed together? Just pick 2 or three of your top choices all on a single hand. Get the full HxLxW dimensions for those as well.

Chrono - you are spot on. It's an issue of mine - I either approach things FAR too seriously, or wing things - and there's a rarely a healthy middle. It is good to have it pointed out, because I rarely am able to pinpoint these moments in myself as they're happening.

I did ask Bruce for a comparison photo, and if it turns out that I still don't have a concrete opinion on these stones, I'll rely on Bruce's expertise and will just take it a stone at a time.
(It's also possible I'm having trouble reigning myself in because after almost a year of intense PS stalking, I've finally a project on which I can practice applying all that I learned.)

But yes. First of all, thank you a ton for coming back to my thread and helping out, and second - I'll do my full best to chill out. :oops:

tara3056

Shiny_Rock
Yes, 2 of those stones were on my list that I received pictures of (the small 5 mm cushion and 1 of the rounds).

All I can say is this: you can over-analyze Bruce's pictures/the facets/lighting/etc., and I'm not sure it will help. My stone looks pretty much nothing like it did in his pic. You can tell it's the same stone only by the shape and proportions, because even the light-play off the facets in the pic does not look like the light-play in real life. I REALLY wish I could get a good pic of my tsav to show you side-by-side with Bruce's pic. I will try this weekend since my hubby JUST got a brand-new micro lens today :D It's so frustrating trying to make sense of photos, I know, trust me!!

I will also say that Bruce's "medium" was about as light as I would have felt comfortable going with while still definitely feeling like I had a tsavorite. But it leaned more yellow than blue (which is to say not a whole lot since tsavorites don't really have the strong secondary colors other stones do, but I prefer the ones with a titch of blue). I'd be a little scared by the "Medium Minus" but I know Bruce will send you at least 3-4 stones to look at, so perhaps it's worth seeing if you like them that light.

Overall, though, and I mean this in the nicest way because I am over-analytical to the max as well, I agree with Chrono that you're overthinking it a bit. When you're breaking down each stone on a facet-by-facet basis and the stone, IRL, is only a tiny little 5-6mm thing, you will never see each facet like that IRL. Also you seem very concerned about getting the perfect cut, but my understanding with colored gems is that COLOR is king. Obviously you don't want a windowed stone and you want something that looks good/symmetrical/generally well-cut. But I don't know if you'll find something you're happy with until you dial back the focus on cut a little and try to focus more on the color. I say this because it looks to me like you have 2 very pretty tsavs right now - I like Yvonne's stone in particular, but they have problems with dark spots, etc. I myself have had to dial back my expectations just a hair, and not just with tsavs but with plenty of other stones I've seen lately. You see these HUGE looking pics online, and sometimes the photography makes a stone look like its glowing, then you get the stone IRL and it's this tiny little thing and it's not glowing 100% of the time in all lighting conditions. My husband laughed and said they haven't yet figured out how to put a micro-LED filament inside gemstones to keep them "ON" at all times :nono: :lol:

I know Bruce has some lovely tsavs, and I hope you find one you like!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with Tara that Yvonne's tsavorite looks really pretty and should be under consideration.

tara3056

Shiny_Rock
I still can't get great pics, or at least nothing that shows how pretty my stone is IRL... but here's a couple. The first one is the pic Bruce sent me of the stone I ultimately ended up picking:

This is a pic I took of my stone:

And this is a pic of the 4 stones Bruce sent me to preview. I have others that show more sparks/fire coming off of them but I liked this one for showing the colors pretty well. Mine is the 2nd from the left. Please excuse the fingerprints on the tables of the stones :nono:

_365.jpg

ts1.jpg

ts2.jpg

mimB

Shiny_Rock
Tara - how exciting to see photos of your stone! :) :lickout:
And to compare to Bruce's - :razz:
The color is really saturated - looks absolutely delicious! :D

And yesss... Dialing down expectations is something I'll be trying to practice when the next batch of stones arrive (today!!)... I've also followed everyone's suggestion (GemFevers, yours, Chrono's) to keep Yvonne's stone in consideration - so I've kept it for another week (and my two week return period for it is over this Saturday).
Meanwhile, returned Gary's stone, received the refund - and was very pleased about the whole interaction with him. Now kind of wish I had another stone project lined up after this one - to perhaps actually be able to keep one of his stones. (But I don't think that's happening - as the other stone I'd want would be a sapphire, and that would require quite some time to save up for).

And GemFever stopped by last week and we took some more pics (most of Yvonne's stone, in my kitchen lighting):

yvonne_s_0.png

mimB

Shiny_Rock
;( PS keeps eating my posts when I try to attach a second photo to it... Sigh. Guess my connection is glitching?

gary_s_vs_yvonne_s_2.png

tara3056

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, mimb - but please know my pics don't even show the beauty of my stone. I just chose those few b/c they were actually in focus! I have others showing the "sparks" but I liked the saturation visible in these. I can't believe you could get such good pics with a iphone camera!!

Can't wait to see / hear about the ones you're getting from Bruce today. Maybe you won't care for them, and that's fine! Yvonne's is pretty gorgeous, so we'll see if he can match it!

mimB

Shiny_Rock
STONES ARE HERE!!!!!
:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

I spent most of the day squealing, running circles around the bed trying to contain myself, taking pictures, all instead of working. :oops: All that excitement and intensity have made me exhausted, and it's really difficult to just sit down, take a breath, think about the rest of the evening.
But since there's about an hour until dinner making, I'd like to post today's photos.
There are... a ton.

I have on my hand a total of 9 tsavorites :love: - Yvonne's, Jason Brim's and 7 from Bruce.
Bruce totally indulged my newbie-ism by sending so many stones. The packaging for them was also rather hardcore - two FedEx box layers and two envelope layers to get to the paper envelopes containing the stones.
When I reached those, I was first at a loss of how I'll distinguish them once I take them out - but ended up developing a system of keeping order by tone.

So two follow are 8 posts with pictures of new stones, and then two posts with comparison pics.
Note: this detailed approach to taking photos of the stones and documenting everything isn't so much because I'm obsessive overall, but is because I'm obsessive about these particular stones. They really are ALL quite something. I mean really. :lickout:

mimB

Shiny_Rock
From Jason Brim @ Select Gem: 1.34 ct Tsavorite Garnet, VVS, 6x5.5x4.6mm, Kenya UNTREATED
Description: "I would describe the color and tone as vslbG 6/5. Very slightly bluish Green Medium Dark, Strong."

jason_s_002.png

jason_s_003.png

jason_s_004.png

jason_s_005.png

mimB

Shiny_Rock
From Bruce @ Tsavorite.com: 0.91 ct Tsavorite, Cushion, 6x5.04mm, Medium Plus

bruce_s_0.png

bruce_s_1.png

bruce_s_2.png

tara3056

Shiny_Rock
OMG, hurry UP and POST those PICS!!! I'm so excited too!! :appl:

LOL

mimB

Shiny_Rock
From Bruce @ Tsavorite.com: 1.04 ct Tsavorite, Cushion, 6.72x5.43mm, Medium Plus

bruce_s_3.png

bruce_s_4.png

bruce_s_5.png

mimB

Shiny_Rock
From Bruce @ Bridges Tsavorite (as I just discovered, since Tsavorite.com is a little weird as a trade mark:)): 0.79ct Tsavorite, Radiant, 5.45x5.07mm, Medium Plus

bruce_s_6.png

bruce_s_7.png

bruce_s_8.png

bruce_s_9.png

mimB

Shiny_Rock
From Bruce @ Bridges Tsavorite: 1.04ct Tsavorite, Cushion, 6.72x5.43mm, Medium

bruce_s_10.png

bruce_s_11.png

bruce_s_12.png

bruce_s_13.png

mimB

Shiny_Rock
From Bruce @ Bridges Tsavorite: 1.00ct Tsavorite, Antique Cushion, 6.03x5.64mm, Medium

bruce_s_14.png

bruce_s_15.png

bruce_s_16.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results