color
clarity

Preloved influencing buying habits?

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
tammy77|1342732360|3236799 said:
VRBeauty|1342731683|3236794 said:
I find the amount of stuff I see on pre-loved to be somewhat sobering, especially when it involves pieces whose initial purchases were much discussed, anticipated, and oohed and aaahed here on PS.

This. It really made me stop and think about the whole process. I love looking though! :lickout:

Agreed.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
it has influenced me and tempted me...I love a bargain!! I have actually purchased 3 things off there, my pink tourmaline stone, which I had set in a Daniel M setting and I still LOVE it, I bought some BE treated orange sapphires, which I am now thinking about reselling and a plain gold band that I actually did resell...there have been several things that have really tempted me, but like others I stop and ask myself do I really need that...and should I really buy it or save the money to put toward my ultimate purchase, a reset....so far I have done pretty good about not buying anything further, but I sure do love looking at it!!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
decodelighted|1342725427|3236748 said:
I'm lucky because I have Sasquatch fingers, so most things aren't even in the realm of possibility for moi. The one thing I've bought on DB, I fully intend to re-sell ... as it doesn't really work on me in *practice*. Think I'm a touchy-feely-need-to-try things in person gal. Ebay & DB & custom just ain't my bags, babinos!

Meet me @ CARTIER? :naughty: :rodent: :lickout: :$$):

Wanna fess up and finally tell us what it was???

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1342803086|3237269 said:
decodelighted|1342725427|3236748 said:
I'm lucky because I have Sasquatch fingers, so most things aren't even in the realm of possibility for moi. The one thing I've bought on DB, I fully intend to re-sell ... as it doesn't really work on me in *practice*.
Wanna fess up and finally tell us what it was???
LOL! You can't wait 'til I get off my duff & take pix & actually list? Here's the original description:

.88CTW G SI DBTY necklace 14k WG 18”
Ah this necklace is gorgeous. Unfortunately in my OCD ways I can’t stand how oily the bezeled stones get as the roll around on the neck when worn. So subtle and lovely for day or evening though! It comes with an appraisal from Gemological Appraisers of America for $1800 which describes it as: Diamond Fashion Necklace 0.88 CTW 14k white gold eyeglass bezel. 8 ideal cut round brilliant diamonds. Color G. Clarity SI1/SI2. 18 inches. Conflict free diamonds.

And it's a real beauty too. Classic. Timeless. Perfect length on me. Matches my bezel studs to a tee. No brainer, right? Only I never want to wear it because I love my 4th anniversary rose gold pave starfish we bought together in Mykonos way more (even though it doesn't match as well w/anything else) ... and because I hate my FAT NECK, and actually haven't been wearing ANY necklaces lately. :o

Interested? LOL!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Deco, I bought a bezeled necklace (tiny diamonds though, and some were pink) that I didn't care for either. I wanted to keep it for Amelia since it was pink, but a PSer always said she would be interested if I didn't want it, so I sold it to her privately and she loves it.

I still think in theory that a larger diamond DBTY is something I want...but I can't seem to wear anything but my butterfly pendant, which is almost a signature piece for me. I think if I invest in another necklace, it's going to be high karat gold...I was interested in the Marco Bicego one on preloved recently, but it was just not something I wanted to spend the money on right now.

I actually have a 24K gold pendant and I am going to see if I enjoy wearing high karat gold necklaces before I invest in any.

Preloved is tough because of the no returns thing. I like it best when it's branded stuff I've seen and tried on before (like a cartier band, or that MB necklace) where there is more assurance that the piece looks good on me. Even then, I'd probably still buy on Oakgem instead since they have a return policy.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1342804311|3237277 said:
Preloved is tough because of the no returns thing.
In this case, for me, I don't think a returns policy would have helped. I love the necklace & wore it everyday for, gosh, a few months before I realized it just didn't really look so good on me ... and I missed my other necklace. Just the other week I tried again w/it ... to be SURE I could part w/it. Maybe I was just having a bad neck month or something, right? Nope. No joy. And it's not like I want something *else* or am bored w/the style or something. It's as beautiful as ever *in it's padded box* unworn. So I'd rather release it back to the wilds of DB and collect some presidential flashcards. Perhaps they'll make a wonderful feathery neckpiece of an appropriate size for my tree-trunk gullet.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes :oops: It has definitely influenced me. I have this weird purchasing addiction that my grandma "taught" me. I buy if it's a deal.. because if I don't buy it, and I want it later.. I'll be "wasting money" paying full price!

I've purchased these all preloved off DB or now LoupeTroop!
- OMB buttercup danglies from Athenaworth in January.
- an Idealscope in April (and I didn't even end up needing this thing!)
- a single 0.4 rb diamond in a bezel earring that I'm hoping to set as a small pendent from Makemepretty in May
- a Tiffany necklace from ATP in June
- Armywife's 2.45 3/4 eternity band in June
- EricaR's Barry tanga garnet just last week (that was Mara's! what a merry-go-round!)
- 5ct oval spess garnet from Colorluvr (though this was mostly a FB transaction ;D) that I just picked up yesterday

so far, I've given the buttercup dangly earrings and the eternity band a LOT of loving. I haven't used the darn IS since that was meant for SO to use for searching for a MRB for my E-ring stone.. but, well, we went the OEC route so that hasn't been put to use much. I still haven't reset the 0.4 rb yet, so it's been sitting in a box since, and I actually made the T&Co necklace purchase without really thinking. SO just bought me a T&Co necklace for VDay, so I haven't taken that one off to enjoy ATP's yet. The 2 new garnets are going to be set sometime in the next year or so, to be made into gifts for my FMIL and my grandmother.

I think, because of the deal aspect, I am willing to go against what I would have had made if I bought new. I was totally going to rip apart the dangle earrings and make them into studs, and I was planning to get the eternity band's "shoulders" changed a little bit and resized. I wore them around and fell in love with them as is, and am way too lazy to get anything changed anyway. Who knew dangle earrings look absolutely SMASHING when worn with your hair up??!

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
madelise|1342806026|3237298 said:
Yes :oops: It has definitely influenced me. I have this weird purchasing addiction that my grandma "taught" me. I buy if it's a deal.. because if I don't buy it, and I want it later.. I'll be "wasting money" paying full price!

I've purchased these all preloved off DB or now LoupeTroop!
- OMB buttercup danglies from Athenaworth in January.
- an Idealscope in April (and I didn't even end up needing this thing!)
- a single 0.4 rb diamond in a bezel earring that I'm hoping to set as a small pendent from Makemepretty in May
- a Tiffany necklace from ATP in June
- Armywife's 2.45 3/4 eternity band in June
- EricaR's Barry tanga garnet just last week (that was Mara's! what a merry-go-round!)
- 5ct oval spess garnet from Colorluvr (though this was mostly a FB transaction ;D) that I just picked up yesterday

so far, I've given the buttercup dangly earrings and the eternity band a LOT of loving. I haven't used the darn IS since that was meant for SO to use for searching for a MRB for my E-ring stone.. but, well, we went the OEC route so that hasn't been put to use much. I still haven't reset the 0.4 rb yet, so it's been sitting in a box since, and I actually made the T&Co necklace purchase without really thinking. SO just bought me a T&Co necklace for VDay, so I haven't taken that one off to enjoy ATP's yet. The 2 new garnets are going to be set sometime in the next year or so, to be made into gifts for my FMIL and my grandmother.

I think, because of the deal aspect, I am willing to go against what I would have had made if I bought new. I was totally going to rip apart the dangle earrings and make them into studs, and I was planning to get the eternity band's "shoulders" changed a little bit and resized. I wore them around and fell in love with them as is, and am way too lazy to get anything changed anyway. Who knew dangle earrings look absolutely SMASHING when worn with your hair up??!

I have this addiction too - but it's become easier the more I have to budget and now that we have the house. But DB and Loupetroop aren't helping!!! I love your earrings, btw! I only wear danglies, more flattering to my round face! :)

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TravelingGal|1342804311|3237277 said:
Preloved is tough because of the no returns thing.

Yes, that's ultimately why I haven't purchased anything. I was interested in a few diamond bands that were listed last summer, but not being able to return is what made me not go through with it. Plus, I didn't think they were that much of a deal when I really thought about it. For $200 or $300 more, I could buy a brand new band from ID Jewelry and have a return policy and maybe a warranty. If I see a truly killer deal one day, I'm sure I will go through with it though! There are a lot of tempting things. :naughty:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1342754632|3237024 said:
canuk-gal|1342737741|3236876 said:
HI:

I will always be in the market for "something", whether new or Estate--if I find it here great. I own a radiant cut diamond and buy Tiffany jewellery. Knowing what people think of those two items (here)--clearly I am not influenced by PS! :cheeky: :bigsmile: :devil: :rodent:

cheers--Sharon

Bahahahahaha!!!! :lol: I am influenced by Sharon! Collecting designer pieces second hand is VERY fun!

:bigsmile: I LOL! It is kinda fun!!!

cheers--Sharon

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
I can't tell if its influenced my purchasing or not. I have bought 3 items off of DB but only 1 has been listed since Pre Loved appeared (the Aurora). But the Aurora was BY FAR the biggest jewelry purchase I've ever made. The only piece I own that is more pricey is my engagement ring, and that wasn't my purchase to make. I feel like such a big girl.

I do love browsing through Pre Loved and having links to threads to look back on and read more about the piece. It's like a nice little summary of PS history.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results