shape
carat
color
clarity

RB to OEC recut: Before and After Pics

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone! I just wanted to share a first peek at my stone before and after it was recut by Single Stone. It started out as a 2.4ct RB H&A, and now it's a 2.38ct OEC (H/SI2). I haven't seen it in person yet, but I'm hoping to see it this week! They said that it looks 2 shades whiter, which is always excellent news. :)

For those who are interested in the setting I'm working on, I posted in Rocky Talky. [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/single-stone-ring-need-suggestions-for-profile-design.177531/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/single-stone-ring-need-suggestions-for-profile-design.177531/..[/URL]. I'm hoping to meet with Ari this week to finalize the design...I'm always so indecisive, especially with such a big purchase! :loopy:

rb.jpg

oec1.jpg

oec2.jpg

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

WOW! Don't think I've ever seen a H & A recut to an OEC. Congrats!

I love the setting you've choosen--whatever rendition you finally decide on.....

cheers--Sharon

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Now that is interesting. Can you tell us more about how this process came about? Where did you get the RB? How did you decide on the recut? I would love more information on the before and after proportions too!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, that is a very interesting story. I must say from the pictures that the stone does look whiter. What color was it graded as a RB?

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Beautiful recut - it sure appeals to my eyes! And Your ring on the other thread ---it will be a STUNNING piece of art!

Quite the amazing transition from a H&A to an OEC... who knew?! :bigsmile:

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
A recut was definitely not in the plan when I first set out to find a new setting. Then I walked into Single Stone, and my life changed forever... :lol:

My original stone was purchased from the jeweler I'd been using for a while here in LA, and I wore it in my ring for many years. The stone was a 2.4ct H/SI2, and after the recut it only went down to 2.38ct - awesome! I don't have the other measurements on me at the moment, but I do know that it's 8.7mm, and this measurement did not change after the recut.

As soon as Ari saw the setting I fell in love with, he convinced me that a recut from RB to OEC would have amazing results. I was a little bit nervous, but I know Single Stone's reputation and fully trusted Ari's opinion. I had never seen an OEC in person before, and when I saw one in the show room, I immediately *got* what all the fuss was about!! I think it was the right move, and I think it makes more sense for my new setting.

I'm trying to see if I can go in tomorrow to see it in person. I think the more distant shot he sent looks great, so I have high hopes!

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
How cool! I have never heard of recutting from H&A to OEC. It looks amazing! :love:

starrynight

Shiny_Rock
The recut looks beautiful!

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interesting! I could certainly see re-cutting a non-ideal cut stone to an OEC. Can't wait to know what you think when you see it.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think I've heard of anyone doing this before - add me to the list of people who'd love to hear more! (With pics of course :devil: )

Do you have any other before closeups? Can I request some of the "after" underside as well? A scan to see what changed would be fantastic - if you plan to get one please share it with us! It lost so little weight, and diameter didn't change, so I'd guess the main change was shortening the lgfs (widening the mains)?

Fascinating!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great result, it looks lovely!

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Amazing transformation! Where is the inclusion now that it was recut?

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
Yssie|1341974517|3232100 said:
I don't think I've heard of anyone doing this before - add me to the list of people who'd love to hear more! (With pics of course :devil: )

Do you have any other before closeups? Can I request some of the "after" underside as well? A scan to see what changed would be fantastic - if you plan to get one please share it with us! It lost so little weight, and diameter didn't change, so I'd guess the main change was shortening the lgfs (widening the mains)?

Fascinating!

I don't think I have any closeups of the before like the one SS provided above (I only have "real life" pics from a distance that wouldn't help), but I can see if they took any others. I will get pics of the underside when I go in. You may be right - I don't know enough about the process to explain exactly what they did, but he likened it to a micro-derm where just the thinnest layer is removed. That sounded reassuring enough to me... ;-)

mom2boys|1341975050|3232112 said:
Amazing transformation! Where is the inclusion now that it was recut?

You can kind of make out the clearish/whitish inclusion around the 3 o'clock mark in pic #2 above. I have a harder time seeing it in the "before" picture myself, so I'm a bit nervous that the recut will make it more obvious. Ari said it's the same as before though, and probably less noticeable due to the larger flashes...that would be nice.

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
bright ice|1341974276|3232095 said:
Interesting! I could certainly see re-cutting a non-ideal cut stone to an OEC. Can't wait to know what you think when you see it.

I'm curious why the H&A part is so interesting - is there a reason that this typically isn't done or shouldn't be done? Excuse my ignorance - I know a bit about diamonds, but not enough about OECs to understand why H&A would make a difference vs. a regular RB. :confused:

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
twosanguinehearts|1341978119|3232156 said:

I'm curious why the H&A part is so interesting - is there a reason that this typically isn't done or shouldn't be done? Excuse my ignorance - I know a bit about diamonds, but not enough about OECs to understand why H&A would make a difference vs. a regular RB. :confused:

Probably because you've paid a premium for the H&A cut to begin with, that it's not usual for one to recut a well cut stone.

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
TravelingGal|1341978628|3232163 said:
twosanguinehearts|1341978119|3232156 said:

Probably because you've paid a premium for the H&A cut to begin with, that it's not usual for one to recut a well cut stone.

Ahh, I see - I guess I didn't really think about it that way, but that makes sense. While my stone was always really pretty, and I always loved seeing the H&A, I love the look of an OEC so much more. It just appeals to me! I don't plan on ever selling or resetting the stone, so I think I'll be happy with my decision. :D

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Everyone is puzzled because historically some of the nicest OECs have actually been recut into modern round brilliants...we've never heard of it going the other way! :lol: I MUCH prefer antique cut stones though, so I think you've made a great move. I can't believe what an insignificant amount of weight you lost in the recutting process. I'm guessing the stone's crown will be shallower than we normally seen in OECs though?

Thanks for sharing - it's always nice to see something completely new on PS! :bigsmile:

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! Is it an expensive process? I might be interested in doing the same.

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
Really awesome, I have never heard of this before.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
What an awesome transformation! I love it and agree totally with Ari that an OEC works so much better in an antique style setting!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
With that small of a weight loss, I don't see how they did more than cutting the culet facet. Or maybe your stone was originally 2.49 or something. But I am looking forward to seeing a side view!

I can see many of us considering this. I know Jonathan at GOG does recuts, and I am emailing him to see if they'll recut an ideal cut into an AVR without too much loss. My guess is that you don't get a high crown, just the wider pavilion facets and the culet cut, but I think I'd love that. I'd only do it on my GIA EX stone, though, and not my H&A one.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congrats, can't wait to see how you set it :appl:

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
justginger|1341986040|3232187 said:
Everyone is puzzled because historically some of the nicest OECs have actually been recut into modern round brilliants...we've never heard of it going the other way! :lol: I MUCH prefer antique cut stones though, so I think you've made a great move. I can't believe what an insignificant amount of weight you lost in the recutting process. I'm guessing the stone's crown will be shallower than we normally seen in OECs though?

Thanks for sharing - it's always nice to see something completely new on PS! :bigsmile:

Yes, you just reminded me of another point. My crown will not be high like you may see in other OECs. The OEC they used in their sample was also a bit shallower on top (take a look at the side view of the setting in the link
I posted above). It just works with that setting though - I am glad I was able to see this example before going through with the recut.

Ari did say that to get a higher crown or smaller table, you would definitely lose more weight/mm. Hope this helps. :)

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1342010753|3232256 said:
With that small of a weight loss, I don't see how they did more than cutting the culet facet. Or maybe your stone was originally 2.49 or something. But I am looking forward to seeing a side view!

I can see many of us considering this. I know Jonathan at GOG does recuts, and I am emailing him to see if they'll recut an ideal cut into an AVR without too much loss. My guess is that you don't get a high crown, just the wider pavilion facets and the culet cut, but I think I'd love that. I'd only do it on my GIA EX stone, though, and not my H&A one.

Exactly - I think you are right.

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
nala|1341988009|3232200 said:
Wow! Is it an expensive process? I might be interested in doing the same.

It depends on where you go, but plan on a few hundred dollars per carat. The way I look at it...it sure beats buying a whole new stone! It's like a makeover for your diamond. ;-)

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
This is insanely awesome and starts me thinking of buying some huge crappy stone at a pawn shop and having it recut! ;-) :cheeky: Beautiful! And good to know since Ari is local - and soooo nice when I met him! Darn it, one more thing to add to my list of stuff to buy! :)

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Whoa, very cool! I can't wait to see it all set!

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
webdiva|1342020096|3232344 said:
This is insanely awesome and starts me thinking of buying some huge crappy stone at a pawn shop and having it recut! ;-) :cheeky: Beautiful! And good to know since Ari is local - and soooo nice when I met him! Darn it, one more thing to add to my list of stuff to buy! :)

Would this work? Get a big L SI with an awful cut and have it transformed into an OEC? If so, sign me up!! I'm sure you would lose much more weight if you start with a bad cut. And there is probably a reason it was poorly cut in the first place. Would love to hear from those of you who know way more about this than I!

Your stone and setting look incredible! Congrats!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
twosanguinehearts|1342019265|3232337 said:
diamondseeker2006|1342010753|3232256 said:

Exactly - I think you are right.

Yup, that's what I think too. Culet + shortening LGF by widening pav mains - can see both in the pics.
It looks great both ways :sun:

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone,

I went into SS today to see my stone in person and to talk to Ari about how I can customize my setting. I have to say...my stone looks AMAZING!!! The pictures don't even do it justice. I'm so excited!!! I can't believe how different it looks with so little weight lost!

I asked him to explain what they did, and he said that they shortened the facets on the underside of the stone and that the work to the top was minimal - polishing, etc. That's the simplified way of explaining it, but it sounds like you guys figured that out already. :)

Ari also said that he has received a few calls just this week re: recuts - I think this option is starting to pick up in popularity, and I can't recommend Single Stone enough to get the job done right! There was another couple in there who had flown in from the east coast specifically to go to SS - pretty cool!

Here is another photo of my stone after the cut, along with a pic of the underside. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get a super close-up image that wasn't blurry, so I'm not sure that this one will help you guys.

_187.jpg

_188.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results