carat
color
clarity

U-113 set high... Likely to snag?

TRIALnERROR

Shiny_Rock

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it really depends on how gentle she is with her hands. My original e-ring was set pretty high, but I never banged it or snagged it on anything.

Also, if your prongs are snagging on something, then they probably need to fixed a bit. I don't think prongs should snag on things, but perhaps the experts will weigh in on this.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
While height is personal preference, that is not how the real Tiffany setting is done. I personally think Vatche sets the diamonds perfectly when they do it the normal way (basically medium height). Snagging isn't the issue with a high set stone...hitting it on things is. And you can chip or crack a diamond when you hit it just right. I have that setting and I wouldn't want my diamond even a millimeter higher than it is, and I would advise you not to set it that high. I don't think it improves the aesthetics and it is simply more dangerous for the diamond.

TRIALnERROR

Shiny_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1341796431|3230795 said:
While height is personal preference, that is not how the real Tiffany setting is done. I personally think Vatche sets the diamonds perfectly when they do it the normal way (basically medium height). Snagging isn't the issue with a high set stone...hitting it on things is. And you can chip or crack a diamond when you hit it just right. I have that setting and I wouldn't want my diamond even a millimeter higher than it is, and I would advise you not to set it that high. I don't think it improves the aesthetics and it is simply more dangerous for the diamond.

We're not concerned with it being identical to Tiffany, but the thought of hitting and cracking the diamond never occurred to me. My fiancee likes the high setting because she feels it better shows off the stone and allows more light to pass. The hitting and cracking issue is a definite concern of mine now that you have raised it. Have you heard of that happening with high-set stones or is it more of a precautionary/worst-case scenario? Thank you both for the quick and candid feedback, this is exactly the type of information I'm looking for before placing the order. Looking forward to hearing everyone's opinion on this, thank you!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can find many posts on this forum about people with chipped or cracked stones. One thing you need to explain to her is that in a well cut diamond, all the light is reflected through the top. Setting the diamond higher in no way makes it brighter (allowing "more light to pass"). You can set the diamond in a totally enclosed setting and it will be just as bright from the top. I'd never recommend setting a diamond really high. A medium height is much safer and is proportional. However, insurance is always essential to cover any potential future damage or loss.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I'm just one data point, but that really looks identical to the height of my ER; I wear it 24/7, have 4 kids, dog, cat, the whole shebang and I've never had any problem hitting it. No, it doesn't snag, but any ring could if there's a prong problem regardless of height.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results