shape
carat
color
clarity

Nervous About Purchase

mr-h

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

I purchased a diamond from blue nile to be placed in an engagement ring setting, I realize that purchasing a diamond without seeing it first is probably not the best idea, but the 30 return policy and upgrade policy re-assured me. I needed the diamond sooner rather than later, so I needed to decide rather hastily.

Here's the GIA report for the diamond that I purchased: https://myapps.gia.edu/ReportCheckPortal/getReportData.do?&reportno=5141498077&weight=1.22

The primary red flag for me is the "Clarity grade is based on clouds that are not shown." language... I still want the diamond to "pop" when I propose... Is it possible that the "clouds not shown" could greatly affect the brilliance of the diamond? I was under the impression that cut was the primary factor that determines a diamond's ability to refract light. The strong blue fluorescence is less of an issue for me, as I know that she likes a slightly blue shine in sunlight.

I don't want a diamond that is going to look extremely dull or milky.

Thanks for any input that you have!

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sorry to say this but the cut performance of this stone is not likely to be top notch. Use this tool to check it yourself https://www.pricescope.com/tools/hca

A SI2 clarity grade based on cloud not shown is also an iffy and with a strong blue fluor, could be a classic over/blue appearance in that it might appear hazy/oily in the sun. Best to check it thoroughly if you still want to go with it.

EDT:
Personally I would stop the process and look for another stone. Too many red flags for my personal threshold.

TitanCi

Brilliant_Rock
^Great advice, pop the question with a better stone, not just with something that you "have". Be patient, find another one, and I bet you'll be alot happier!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Come here and show the stats before ordering. We can help you find a better stone. I advise against SI2's from vendors who cannot examine the stone and tell you about it's performance and whether it is 100% eyeclean from all directions.

Oh, and I have a stone with strong blue fluoro, but I had Good Old Gold call it in and examine it for me before purchasing.

mr-h

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I called up BN and had them switch my order to this stone: https://myapps.gia.edu/ReportCheckPortal/getReportData.do?&reportno=1129790223&weight=1.21

After a little more research, I realized that the J color with Strong Blue fluro will probably look great in her setting, Sacrificing color I was able to get a much better clarity grade in my price range. The side stones in the setting range from H-J as well, something I failed to consider when purchasing the center stone. The HCA tool also reports that the cut should perform very well.

Factor Grade
Light Return Very Good
Fire Very Good
Scintillation Very Good
Spread
or diameter for weight Very Good

Thanks for the feedback! I think I will be much happier with this stone.

Mr. H

TitanCi

Brilliant_Rock
mr-h|1341249774|3227320 said:
Hi all,

I called up BN and had them switch my order to this stone: https://myapps.gia.edu/ReportCheckPortal/getReportData.do?&reportno=1129790223&weight=1.21

After a little more research, I realized that the J color with Strong Blue fluro will probably look great in her setting, Sacrificing color I was able to get a much better clarity grade in my price range. The side stones in the setting range from H-J as well, something I failed to consider when purchasing the center stone. The HCA tool also reports that the cut should perform very well.

Factor Grade
Light Return Very Good
Fire Very Good
Scintillation Very Good
Spread
or diameter for weight Very Good

Thanks for the feedback! I think I will be much happier with this stone.

Mr. H

Well, you're getting a clarity grade that is better, yes...but that is an aspect of the stone you won't be able to visibly appreciate (since it's such a high clarity, therefore it's ok for you to save some money going with a VS1 or an excellent VS2 without inclusions that may affect the appearance with the fluor).

The stone you chose is better than the first, and with an HCA score of 2.4 it def. warrants further investigation. I guess we were all hoping you'd show us the stone before you went ahead and chose/ordered it again. The stone may or may not be a great performer, but at this point I guess we'll have to await your feedback...

LLCALI

Rough_Rock
You are paying quite a bit for that VVS2 grading, when you likely wouldn't notice the difference between that and an eye clean VS2 or SI1 stone. You will get more bang for your buck if you go down in clarity, and you can also get a larger stone if you are willing to consider something more in the middle...

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll be honest, I think this is wayyyy overkill. There's LOTS of room to compromise between E/worrisome-SI2 and J/VVS2 - a J of this size will not look icy white on close inspection, fluor or no. Fluor only has effect in lighting w/ strong LWUV component - so direct sunlight and in bars... Why not look for a nice G/H VS? Best of both worlds. If you want a colourless stone of course (and I assume you do given your initial choice was an E).

In terms of proportions the new one is more promising than the old, certainly, but as Titan says no guarantees w/o more info or pics.

If you post your budget we can help you look for stones if you'd like... are you dead set on buying from BN or would you be open to expanding your search to other vendors as well?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results