carat
color
clarity

Updates, anyone?

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
C'mon ladies :) update.. so you don't get axed anytime soon :wink2:

What's been going on with you? Any movement on the 'engagement' field? Any summer plans? Trips? Anyone hoping or thinking they'll get a summer engagement?

MBKRH

Brilliant_Rock
No movement on the engagement field. :knockout:

The bf and I are leaving in a month to go to Florida. We both need a serious getaway from our jobs, so needless to say, August 1st can't come soon enough.

lktx

Shiny_Rock
Minor progress here. SO and I have been casually discussing diamonds, settings, and budget. We've also been debating the merits of solitaires vs. 5 stone rings. So that's something!

I've been trying to play it cool, but I think my LIW-cray cray is far too obvious. Long story, but SO and I will be working in 2 different cities in the near future, and the only way we feel comfortable making the move to be with the other is if we are engaged. So not only do I have the typical "I can't wait to be engaged to this super awesome guy" feeling, but I also have the "OMG if we don't get engaged soon, this relationship will turn long-distance, and we will never see each other" pressure. Some days I feel like I might lose my mind--I freak out and then try to hide the fact that I'm freaking out because I don't want to pressure him any more so than I'm sure I already am. :|

LJL

Brilliant_Rock
Hey madelise- I was going to make a new post for this reply but I saw this and it works better than commenting on the list! :twirl:

I'm sure the N would have been beautiful but it was lots and lots of dollars that we don't have (budget up to 11 for the stone but would be happy spending less!!). I am looking in the K-M range and Adam has lots of stuff so I think we will be covered there. GOG did tell me they had a 2ct M/VS1 real OEC, but calling in stones feels like such a commitment to me :bigsmile:

I did look at JbEG and I had good feelings about that 2.04 Tranny but honestly it scares me in a few ways (still high on price (paying for the VVS which I dont need), the L is prob an M or N or who knows!!!, and it has been around for a little while now so I feel like other people must see something wrong that I dont). Again, honestly, JbEG was getting a lot more traffic from me when they had those beautiful settings and I seriously considered those. I would love to work with them if thats how it plays out, but I'm going to get some other stones in the running to compare with the ones they have posted.

Adam is pulling some options for me and SO and I plan on making a final decision in the beginning of August. He told us that we could put a deposit down on something if we like it and then wait until August when we will be financially more comfortable with spending that kind of money (SO gets his job information for the next year then and doesnt want to spend the money we have now until we have the security that he will have this job waiting for him). Adam's first suggestion was a 1.93 L/VS1 (GIA) that is pretty special but he is pulling some others for us with a little more variety so my SO can get a better idea of what the money is paying for ("Whats the difference between an $8K ring and an $11K ring? Can YOU tell?") We will see how he reacts and I should have my very own RT thread in the relatively near future.

Not sure what we will do for the setting - we have discussed getting the diamond, me giving it the OK and then letting him do whatever he wants for the setting (with examples from me of what I like) so that he can control the price, time, etc. So while we have started the ball rolling, I suspect that we wont get engaged engaged until maybe late August or September. And who knows, maybe I won't like the prices I get offered and the whole game starts again.

MayFlowers

Brilliant_Rock
I was actually just about to post my own thread, but I think I will just reply here.

I have been having a really hard time recently. :( I don't know what exactly caused it, but I have just been feeling the LIW-itis really bad lately. I feel like everyone around me is getting engaged or married and I'm just SOO ready for it to happen for us.

Two of my friends got married within the past two weeks and three more have gotten engaged in June. It doesn't help that the majority of these friends have been with their SO for a shorter time than BF and I. I understand why we are waiting and I know we need to wait. But, it's still just so difficult to see everyone else move on to the next stage and we are still just "stuck".

We have been looking for a house, but we haven't found anything that we really love yet. Plus, we were told that if we wanted to report my income for a mortgage that we would need paystubs from me, which I won't get until the end of August once I start teaching. So, we should probably wait until August to really start looking. Then, BF probably won't propose until 4 or so months after that. It just feels like everything is taking FOREVER!! I just want to get on with all this!

BF is still up for a promotion, but I'm trying not to get my hopes up. It would let us move out sooner though because we wouldn't need my income then.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
MBKRH|1341259035|3227405 said:

The bf and I are leaving in a month to go to Florida. We both need a serious getaway from our jobs, so needless to say, August 1st can't come soon enough.

OOH! Tell me about your trip :) I want to go to FL sometime in the next few years, too :)) Not just to pay ms. Audball a visit :naughty: but to try the WARM ocean water! Here in Cali, our water is freezing cold even if it's 110 out! Ooh and Disney world :love: What are you two planning to do, and how long are you going for?

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
lktx|1341261990|3227432 said:
Minor progress here. SO and I have been casually discussing diamonds, settings, and budget. We've also been debating the merits of solitaires vs. 5 stone rings. So that's something!

I've been trying to play it cool, but I think my LIW-cray cray is far too obvious. Long story, but SO and I will be working in 2 different cities in the near future, and the only way we feel comfortable making the move to be with the other is if we are engaged. So not only do I have the typical "I can't wait to be engaged to this super awesome guy" feeling, but I also have the "OMG if we don't get engaged soon, this relationship will turn long-distance, and we will never see each other" pressure. Some days I feel like I might lose my mind--I freak out and then try to hide the fact that I'm freaking out because I don't want to pressure him any more so than I'm sure I already am. :|

Oooh, 5 stone for an E-Ring? Like graduated stones? How about get the best of both worlds, and get a solitaire e-ring and a 5-stone WB? :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: I do love to enable bling.. heh.

I get what you mean about the wanting to be engaged before going long distance thing. I'm not too far away from my SO, but it's been a year since we moved out from living together, and we are now residing 70 miles and an hour away from each other ;( and only see each other about 1 day a week. However, I don't have your cool! I freak out and pressure him all the time, lol.

So if you *do end up getting engaged, will you be moving? How far are the two cities? Even if it doesn't happen and you end up being in a LDR, don't worry ;)) It's definitely testing of the relationship, but if you're confident in yours, it'll only make you guys stronger. Heck, I miss my SO often, but I loveeee my alone time now. I get plenty of time for PS browsing.. without him giving me glares, hehe.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LJL|1341263557|3227453 said:
Hey madelise- I was going to make a new post for this reply but I saw this and it works better than commenting on the list! :twirl:

I'm sure the N would have been beautiful but it was lots and lots of dollars that we don't have (budget up to 11 for the stone but would be happy spending less!!). I am looking in the K-M range and Adam has lots of stuff so I think we will be covered there. GOG did tell me they had a 2ct M/VS1 real OEC, but calling in stones feels like such a commitment to me :bigsmile:

I did look at JbEG and I had good feelings about that 2.04 Tranny but honestly it scares me in a few ways (still high on price (paying for the VVS which I dont need), the L is prob an M or N or who knows!!!, and it has been around for a little while now so I feel like other people must see something wrong that I dont). Again, honestly, JbEG was getting a lot more traffic from me when they had those beautiful settings and I seriously considered those. I would love to work with them if thats how it plays out, but I'm going to get some other stones in the running to compare with the ones they have posted.

Adam is pulling some options for me and SO and I plan on making a final decision in the beginning of August. He told us that we could put a deposit down on something if we like it and then wait until August when we will be financially more comfortable with spending that kind of money (SO gets his job information for the next year then and doesnt want to spend the money we have now until we have the security that he will have this job waiting for him). Adam's first suggestion was a 1.93 L/VS1 (GIA) that is pretty special but he is pulling some others for us with a little more variety so my SO can get a better idea of what the money is paying for ("Whats the difference between an $8K ring and an $11K ring? Can YOU tell?") We will see how he reacts and I should have my very own RT thread in the relatively near future.

Not sure what we will do for the setting - we have discussed getting the diamond, me giving it the OK and then letting him do whatever he wants for the setting (with examples from me of what I like) so that he can control the price, time, etc. So while we have started the ball rolling, I suspect that we wont get engaged engaged until maybe late August or September. And who knows, maybe I won't like the prices I get offered and the whole game starts again.

Oh yay! I was hoping you'd come back and not neglect my inquiries! :)) I totally feel you on paying for the VVS! That was the *1* thing I hate about my diamond! I hate paying for something I don't see! Ugh. I was just asking Grace recently about their settings.. It might be a while, but they are going to offer settings again.. just through other vendors. If you're interested in that, it might be worth inquiring with them!

Yeah be sure to start your RT thread when you get all your diamond options! That way you get all of the pro posters' opinions! I seriously learned so much from Yssie, Dreamer_D and all her drawings and circling and arrows.., and Gypsy.

Well, I think the whole you okaying the diamond and giving him the reigns for the setting is a great idea :bigsmile: That was my original intention as well…. until SO found out exactly how peculiar and particular I am with the tiny little details when I was diamond shopping, and I totally scared him off! :oops: Late August or September might just mean you beat me to the punch! My ring will be ready mid-September at the earliest!

You gave your DBF those photos of the eBay settings, right? :naughty:

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
MayFlowers|1341265958|3227483 said:
I was actually just about to post my own thread, but I think I will just reply here.

I have been having a really hard time recently. :( I don't know what exactly caused it, but I have just been feeling the LIW-itis really bad lately. I feel like everyone around me is getting engaged or married and I'm just SOO ready for it to happen for us.

Two of my friends got married within the past two weeks and three more have gotten engaged in June. It doesn't help that the majority of these friends have been with their SO for a shorter time than BF and I. I understand why we are waiting and I know we need to wait. But, it's still just so difficult to see everyone else move on to the next stage and we are still just "stuck".

We have been looking for a house, but we haven't found anything that we really love yet. Plus, we were told that if we wanted to report my income for a mortgage that we would need paystubs from me, which I won't get until the end of August once I start teaching. So, we should probably wait until August to really start looking. Then, BF probably won't propose until 4 or so months after that. It just feels like everything is taking FOREVER!! I just want to get on with all this!

BF is still up for a promotion, but I'm trying not to get my hopes up. It would let us move out sooner though because we wouldn't need my income then.

Those getting engaged and married around you is what is causing it!! :wink2:

Don't feel "stuck", MF! Everyone has their own timelines. I know it's hard, but comparing your own relationship to others' that are further ahead of yours won't do any good. Each couple and each individual comes with their own circumstances. 8) I'm sure there are other people that are looking at you and your relationship, thinking and wishing they were in your shoes! Wishing they could be in a position to be looking for a house and all that :big smile:

OOH! ETA: If you haven't already, download the Redfin app. Everytime I'm in an area that I like, I turn on my app, and it finds local open houses and homes for sale. :)) It helps to see things IRL, and I get to do it "real time" when I just so happen to be in those areas.

LJL

Brilliant_Rock
madelise|1341268258|3227516 said:
LJL|1341263557|3227453 said:

Oh yay! I was hoping you'd come back and not neglect my inquiries! :)) I totally feel you on paying for the VVS! That was the *1* thing I hate about my diamond! I hate paying for something I don't see! Ugh. I was just asking Grace recently about their settings.. It might be a while, but they are going to offer settings again.. just through other vendors. If you're interested in that, it might be worth inquiring with them!

Yeah be sure to start your RT thread when you get all your diamond options! That way you get all of the pro posters' opinions! I seriously learned so much from Yssie, Dreamer_D and all her drawings and circling and arrows.., and Gypsy.

Well, I think the whole you okaying the diamond and giving him the reigns for the setting is a great idea :bigsmile: That was my original intention as well…. until SO found out exactly how peculiar and particular I am with the tiny little details when I was diamond shopping, and I totally scared him off! :oops: Late August or September might just mean you beat me to the punch! My ring will be ready mid-September at the earliest!

You gave your DBF those photos of the eBay settings, right? :naughty:

I did tell him about it. I figure we will take it one step at a time so I don't overwhelm him. I think I will set a few hard lines (6+ prongs, not yellow gold...literally anything else will do, and i want my wedding band to sit flush) and then give him pictures/links and he can take that wherever he likes. I do want him to try to get some enjoyment out of this process since I feel I have majorly stressed him :(( He's totally the guy that would go blow more $ than necessary on a POC from Jareds and just be happy it was over. Now hes got to deal w all my specifications and it drives him nuts. I know he would prefer to spend less money but its because he doesnt understand. He wants to feel like hes getting what he pays for and since he doesnt want to educate himself (because he doesnt find it interesting), he will never feel like its "worth it"... he thinks that I can be happy with a less expensive ring, which is true - but I also want to try to not have to upgrade in the future (at least for 7-10 years, maybe forever) and its really only paying like 20% more now. He looks at diamonds in terms of practical utility, which is just never going to work- especially with antique diamonds!

I can't wait to use all the PS'ers as resources because I SO fear that I will have a fisheye or something and not realize it.

SIGHHHHHHHHH

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LJL|1341270955|3227538 said:
I did tell him about it. I figure we will take it one step at a time so I don't overwhelm him. I think I will set a few hard lines (6+ prongs, not yellow gold...literally anything else will do, and i want my wedding band to sit flush) and then give him pictures/links and he can take that wherever he likes. I do want him to try to get some enjoyment out of this process since I feel I have majorly stressed him :(( He's totally the guy that would go blow more $ than necessary on a POC from Jareds and just be happy it was over. Now hes got to deal w all my specifications and it drives him nuts. I know he would prefer to spend less money but its because he doesnt understand. He wants to feel like hes getting what he pays for and since he doesnt want to educate himself (because he doesnt find it interesting), he will never feel like its "worth it"... he thinks that I can be happy with a less expensive ring, which is true - but I also want to try to not have to upgrade in the future (at least for 7-10 years, maybe forever) and its really only paying like 20% more now. He looks at diamonds in terms of practical utility, which is just never going to work- especially with antique diamonds!

I can't wait to use all the PS'ers as resources because I SO fear that I will have a fisheye or something and not realize it.

SIGHHHHHHHHH

Okay good, you've got yourself a list! Since he wants the easy way out and doesn't find the research interesting, maybe you should give him MORE hard rules to follow.

- prongs: 6+ prongs, type? photos? claw? bead? double? etc?
- NO yellow gold.
- NO donut. Must sit flush with wedding bands.
- gallery work?
- shank styles?
- mm of the shank?
- how high you want the diamond to sit off your finger?
- metal: what k WG? plated or unplated? or what mix of platinum? finish (I had no idea I had a choice in finish! I'm going with brushed metal under the pave :bigsmile:)

I know it'll probably make his eyes roll back when he sees a long list, but if he doesn't want to do the research/education, then these lists will actually help him more than confuse him. :)) I mean, he can literally just take your list and hand it over to the jeweler! heh! Maybe have a folder on your computer with inspiration photos? Then create subfolders for "prongs"/"shanks"/"gallery work"? You can even open the image up in paint and circle exactly what you're talking about so it's foolproof. He can then print what he needs, and make a little folder to bring over to the jeweler..

and yes, make sure you do the RT! Cus I almost bought myself a fish eye >-< that would have NOT been good! Especially w/ a shady vendor that probably would have given me crap about a return!

MBKRH

Brilliant_Rock
madelise|1341267335|3227498 said:

OOH! Tell me about your trip :) I want to go to FL sometime in the next few years, too :)) Not just to pay ms. Audball a visit :naughty: but to try the WARM ocean water! Here in Cali, our water is freezing cold even if it's 110 out! Ooh and Disney world :love: What are you two planning to do, and how long are you going for?

I have a relative that lives in the panhandle part of the state. I've gone down pretty much every year since I was a kid. The bf has never been, so I'm treating him to a swim with the dolphins in Panama City Beach, and then one day/night, we're gonna hit up the Big Easy (it's about a 4 hour drive) and possibly do an airboat tour. I did one a few years back, and LOVED it.
We're so excited! We are going for about 8 days roughly. On the way down, we're staying the night in Nashville, as it's the halfway point (We're in Chicago).... it's gonna be great. I love road trips. :)

LoveLikeCrazy

Brilliant_Rock
madelise|1341274176|3227554 said:
Okay good, you've got yourself a list! Since he wants the easy way out and doesn't find the research interesting, maybe you should give him MORE hard rules to follow.

Madelise! If you only saw my "LIST!" haha i sent it to him immediately after the jewelry store trip because i promised myself after that sparkly lookin, i was totally stepping back. It was long and detailed...it's my way of still getting what i want. hehe. And also with cushions in DEATHLY afraid of the "crushed ice" appearance. I would probally die if i saw that on my e ring. That was also on the very detailed list ;-)

The hands off approach seems to be working because he made it a point to tell me "i dont want you to think i am just going to buy you anything, even though diamonds dont interest me i will research it as i get closer to purchasing" At this time, i said "WELL you cant wait till you buy it you have to start NOW! there's so much more than the 4 C's...." and then i abruptly stopped... haha i really need to stop running my mouth :nono:

and you know all you ladies on the group are giving me horrible LIW-itis! so many of you are engaged or have ring in hand...ahhh it's driving me loopy :loopy:

LJL

Brilliant_Rock
Its tough. I think part of my BF's problem is that I am so far ahead in the game -its not worth it for him to try to play catch-up in the diamond knowledge game. I've been on PS for like 8-9 months officially but lurked for about a year before that so its not realistic for him to cram like that, and with antiques- knowledge of numbers might not be that useful. We will try to use our collective eyes and the resources that PSers can provide.

I think the good part about my situation is I'm really NOT picky on the setting - I do have (broad) specifications, I do have things I like, but I don't NEED anything in particular and I do trust him to do well with that. He tends to err on the classic, simplistic side and I think that is better than the alternative. For example, he would not even THINK about claw prongs, which is fine bc I prefer the standard tiffany-style type but would be fine w claws if that happened. I also don't have strict preferences of platinum v WG, finish, type of WG/plated/UP,it could even be rose gold for all I care, as long as it isn't yellow. I just want to have a diamond that I'm happy with and I can let him have his manly moment of putting it all together. There are very few things I wouldnt like and they are things he wouldnt think to do - think bezels, colored side stones, cocktail ring stuff, etc. That Mel's setting is about as crazy as I get - and he will have plenty of pics/links of stuff like that :bigsmile:

...still cant believe the 12+ weeks Madelise..

and thank you LoveLikeCrazy! I loved reading Madelise's thread too...it was fun to live vicariously. I think we will bring in the PSers when we have a few options of varying price, specs, etc with pics and videos and see if our initial feelings are mirrored by the posters.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
MBKRH|1341277265|3227576 said:
I have a relative that lives in the panhandle part of the state. I've gone down pretty much every year since I was a kid. The bf has never been, so I'm treating him to a swim with the dolphins in Panama City Beach, and then one day/night, we're gonna hit up the Big Easy (it's about a 4 hour drive) and possibly do an airboat tour. I did one a few years back, and LOVED it.
We're so excited! We are going for about 8 days roughly. On the way down, we're staying the night in Nashville, as it's the halfway point (We're in Chicago).... it's gonna be great. I love road trips. :)

Madelise<-- not a Floridian, lol. What's panhandle, and what's Big Easy! 8 days is wonderful! The longest vacation I ever took with SO is 5 days! I don't even know if we can manage to get 7 days for our honeymoon! Ooh, I've always wanted to go to Chicago! I dream of SO proposing to me at the top of the Sears Tower :naughty: cus he's totally scared of heights! I love road trips too, but I *hate* driving! :wink2:

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LoveLikeCrazy|1341277425|3227578 said:
Madelise! If you only saw my "LIST!" haha i sent it to him immediately after the jewelry store trip because i promised myself after that sparkly lookin, i was totally stepping back. It was long and detailed...it's my way of still getting what i want. hehe. And also with cushions in DEATHLY afraid of the "crushed ice" appearance. I would probally die if i saw that on my e ring. That was also on the very detailed list ;-)

The hands off approach seems to be working because he made it a point to tell me "i dont want you to think i am just going to buy you anything, even though diamonds dont interest me i will research it as i get closer to purchasing" At this time, i said "WELL you cant wait till you buy it you have to start NOW! there's so much more than the 4 C's...." and then i abruptly stopped... haha i really need to stop running my mouth :nono:

and you know all you ladies on the group are giving me horrible LIW-itis! so many of you are engaged or have ring in hand...ahhh it's driving me loopy :loopy:

If you're afraid of the crushed ice look, do you think you'd invest in an ASET scope? Teach the DBF how to use it? :)) $50 that saves you the trouble of getting a poopy stone! ;;-)

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LJL|1341278823|3227591 said:
Its tough. I think part of my BF's problem is that I am so far ahead in the game -its not worth it for him to try to play catch-up in the diamond knowledge game. I've been on PS for like 8-9 months officially but lurked for about a year before that so its not realistic for him to cram like that, and with antiques- knowledge of numbers might not be that useful. We will try to use our collective eyes and the resources that PSers can provide.

I think the good part about my situation is I'm really NOT picky on the setting - I do have (broad) specifications, I do have things I like, but I don't NEED anything in particular and I do trust him to do well with that. He tends to err on the classic, simplistic side and I think that is better than the alternative. For example, he would not even THINK about claw prongs, which is fine bc I prefer the standard tiffany-style type but would be fine w claws if that happened. I also don't have strict preferences of platinum v WG, finish, type of WG/plated/UP,it could even be rose gold for all I care, as long as it isn't yellow. I just want to have a diamond that I'm happy with and I can let him have his manly moment of putting it all together. There are very few things I wouldnt like and they are things he wouldnt think to do - think bezels, colored side stones, cocktail ring stuff, etc. That Mel's setting is about as crazy as I get - and he will have plenty of pics/links of stuff like that :bigsmile:

...still cant believe the 12+ weeks Madelise..

and thank you LoveLikeCrazy! I loved reading Madelise's thread too...it was fun to live vicariously. I think we will bring in the PSers when we have a few options of varying price, specs, etc with pics and videos and see if our initial feelings are mirrored by the posters.

Classic, simplistic…….. the Vatche U113? :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: My favorite Tiffany style setting!

YDo you think you'd get annoyed of having to re dip your WG in rhodium? I get annoyed at my p-ring's stupid fading colors all the time :angryfire: I love that WG doesn't get the patina like plat does.. but I *can't stand* the redipping!!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LJL.. There's this beautiful old cut that I have bookmarked.. Within your budget.. Set already very traditional style.. with a 7.5mm center stone.. and 5+mm side stones…. I don't want to be specific on PS in case you were interested, for fear of lurkers.. color is on the lightest end of your search..

I just don't know if that center stone would be 'big enough' for you. But the faceting is amazing on it. I've had it bookmarked for quite some time.

PhillyMcGee

Rough_Rock
No advances for me either :| it's kind of annoying me a little bit as we haven't spoken about it for a while and I don't like to bring it up straight out, out of nowhere. My friends must think I am mental as if we are ever with one of them who is engaged I make a point out of admiring and talking about their ring with them in front of OH to bring the subject up :lol:

Anyway I have decided what I shall hopefully be able to do regarding my paranoia about the heirloom ring (he will be proposing to me with his late grandmother's ring, so he tells me) not being to my taste. I know I will love it for the history and sentiment behind it, if not for aesthetic purposes, so I will still want to have it even if I dont' wear it every day. I am thinking I will have another ring made, for every day wear (playing on the value - monetary and sentimental - of this heirloom ring, I would be worried about wearing it every day). So in the case that I am not enamoured with the Heirloom and I am not allowed to have it reset, I will have that as a RHR for going out, weekends, special occasions etc and then MY ring (at the moment I am thinking perhaps an emerald cut sapphire solitaire on a pave shank which I would wear with a matching pave wedding band eventually :love: ...but I change my mind about once a week!) as my 'everyday' ring. Both would be my 'engagement rings', not one over the other. Problem solvered!

I am, as ever, getting a bit far ahead of myself though! I suspect that when we hopefully go on holiday to america at the end of the year that may be the time.

Schafenm

Shiny_Rock
Hi MBKHR! I live in nola so if you want any tips on place to eat or things to do let me know I would be happy to suggest some places. Just need to know how long you will be in nola!!

Schafenm

Shiny_Rock
No advancements here! I won't really have any updates until the ring is paid off in a month or so! I truly do not think that I will have anything to report until next year. So LIWitis will hit full throttle after the first of the year. Thankfully nursing school keeps me busy and I don't think about it as much as I would.

Question for you ladies!! I find myself looking a wedding venues, photographers, etc. It is driving me crazy because now I want to go see some of these places and it makes no sense to do so because I do not have a ring!! Is anyone else doing this at all??

MayFlowers

Brilliant_Rock
madelise|1341268468|3227523 said:
Those getting engaged and married around you is what is causing it!! :wink2:

Don't feel "stuck", MF! Everyone has their own timelines. I know it's hard, but comparing your own relationship to others' that are further ahead of yours won't do any good. Each couple and each individual comes with their own circumstances. 8) I'm sure there are other people that are looking at you and your relationship, thinking and wishing they were in your shoes! Wishing they could be in a position to be looking for a house and all that :big smile:

OOH! ETA: If you haven't already, download the Redfin app. Everytime I'm in an area that I like, I turn on my app, and it finds local open houses and homes for sale. :)) It helps to see things IRL, and I get to do it "real time" when I just so happen to be in those areas.

Yeah I guess that's what it is. I think I'm also just starting to get impatient. I feel like I've waited forever! I definitely try to focus on all the good things that we have going for us right now. Hopefully it will all work out soon.

Oh and thanks for the tip about the Redfin app! I hadn't heard of that one so I will definitely have to download it. Right now we have only been doing internet searches, so I feel like we miss out on some of the market, especially new construction neighborhoods.

LJL

Brilliant_Rock
madelise, Im LJLLJL on DB - cant hurt to take a peek!! In case no one has said yet - Big Easy = new orleans, panhandle is the top part of the state of Florida, the thin flat part. LJL <-----born in Florida.

I do like the U113 ...wouldnt be my first pick but I'd be totally happy with it, ya know?

Schafenm- I have looked at photographers online (and shown SO, etc).. this makes sense to me because you do typically get engagement photo shoots in a wedding package so that is something that would be happening sooner and so its not as crazy, and more legit to look! At least thats what i tell myself..

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
lktx|1341261990|3227432 said:

actually, long distance can be pretty easy. FF and I are doing the distance thing right now and it's been entirely ok (think 6 hours drive). Chin up :)

MBKRH

Brilliant_Rock
madelise|1341286151|3227645 said:

Madelise<-- not a Floridian, lol. What's panhandle, and what's Big Easy! 8 days is wonderful! The longest vacation I ever took with SO is 5 days! I don't even know if we can manage to get 7 days for our honeymoon! Ooh, I've always wanted to go to Chicago! I dream of SO proposing to me at the top of the Sears Tower :naughty: cus he's totally scared of heights! I love road trips too, but I *hate* driving! :wink2:

LOL sorry about that! The panhandle is the northern part of the state that touches Mississippi, Alabama and Georgia. The Big Easy is New Orleans. :) This is our first vacation together- I'm not anticipating any issues, but who knows. The hot weather and endless driving is bound to make one (or both) of us cranky.

Chicago is beautiful, and the Sears (it'll ALWAYS be the Sears tower to me) has cool glass ledges you can step out onto now. It's so exhilarating. I actually sat down on one, and looked down.... it's so weird to see the cars 104 stories directly below you! Hopefully you'll get to visit sometime. It's a very unique, fun place to visit!

MBKRH

Brilliant_Rock
Schafenm|1341322629|3227828 said:
Hi MBKHR! I live in nola so if you want any tips on place to eat or things to do let me know I would be happy to suggest some places. Just need to know how long you will be in nola!!

Hi, thanks! I was there once about 2.5 years ago. Just did the typical touristy stuff; French Quarter, ya know. We'll probably do the same this time around. I know I'll hit up Central Grocery to get my muffaletta (I LOVE those!), but other than that, we don't have any definite plans. Is there anything new or worthwhile to check out? Thanks for recommendations. Oh, and we'd probably spend a day down there, and possibly a night, if we can get a hotel room. Speaking of which, anything good you can recommend for that? Something nice, but not too expensive.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LJL|1341346761|3228038 said:
madelise, Im LJLLJL on DB - cant hurt to take a peek!! In case no one has said yet - Big Easy = new orleans, panhandle is the top part of the state of Florida, the thin flat part. LJL <-----born in Florida.

I do like the U113 ...wouldnt be my first pick but I'd be totally happy with it, ya know?

Schafenm- I have looked at photographers online (and shown SO, etc).. this makes sense to me because you do typically get engagement photo shoots in a wedding package so that is something that would be happening sooner and so its not as crazy, and more legit to look! At least thats what i tell myself..

LJL, there's no way to directly contact someone through DB w/o a listing. I have my listing on "WTB" for a 10mm setting that you can contact me through.

LJL

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, I sent you a message....!! :appl: success at conquering the technology

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
PhillyMcGee|1341299548|3227742 said:
No advances for me either :| it's kind of annoying me a little bit as we haven't spoken about it for a while and I don't like to bring it up straight out, out of nowhere. My friends must think I am mental as if we are ever with one of them who is engaged I make a point out of admiring and talking about their ring with them in front of OH to bring the subject up :lol:

Anyway I have decided what I shall hopefully be able to do regarding my paranoia about the heirloom ring (he will be proposing to me with his late grandmother's ring, so he tells me) not being to my taste. I know I will love it for the history and sentiment behind it, if not for aesthetic purposes, so I will still want to have it even if I dont' wear it every day. I am thinking I will have another ring made, for every day wear (playing on the value - monetary and sentimental - of this heirloom ring, I would be worried about wearing it every day). So in the case that I am not enamoured with the Heirloom and I am not allowed to have it reset, I will have that as a RHR for going out, weekends, special occasions etc and then MY ring (at the moment I am thinking perhaps an emerald cut sapphire solitaire on a pave shank which I would wear with a matching pave wedding band eventually :love: ...but I change my mind about once a week!) as my 'everyday' ring. Both would be my 'engagement rings', not one over the other. Problem solvered!

I am, as ever, getting a bit far ahead of myself though! I suspect that when we hopefully go on holiday to america at the end of the year that may be the time.

!! HAH! Don't do that ring talk in front of your SO too often for your gal pals' rings.. or he'll get you one JUST like it!

When are you coming to the US? Where will you be going? What're you coming for, holiday? Or business?

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Schafenm|1341322878|3227832 said:
No advancements here! I won't really have any updates until the ring is paid off in a month or so! I truly do not think that I will have anything to report until next year. So LIWitis will hit full throttle after the first of the year. Thankfully nursing school keeps me busy and I don't think about it as much as I would.

Question for you ladies!! I find myself looking a wedding venues, photographers, etc. It is driving me crazy because now I want to go see some of these places and it makes no sense to do so because I do not have a ring!! Is anyone else doing this at all??

School has waned my LIWitis a little bit ;)) but my quarter just started.. so here I am! 8) Usually after the 3rd or 4th week, right before midterms, I disappear again. >_<

No you're not crazy. I don't have my ring yet. I have a million venue options bookmarked, and I've already gone dress shopping. I've already booked my photographer, even without a date. I've looked at dates! And have chosen a few potential dates! Haha, okay maybe it is crazy.. but then we'd both be nuts :twirl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results