shape
carat
color
clarity

The Modern Quest for Old Cut Diamonds by Dave Atlas

coati

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Dave Atlas discusses the popularity and subjective qualities of old-cut diamonds in this new article:

The Modern Quest for Old Cut Diamonds

Over the past few years there has been a marked increase in the purchase of old cut style diamonds. We more and more often deal with questions from consumers who are considering both newly minted old style cuts and authentic old cut diamonds. Of course, the diamond material is hundreds of thousands of years old anyway, but there are those who wish to go “new” or “old” and those who just want the old look. A further layer of unknowns crop up when a client wants to differentiate from an unrestored old cut from an old looking stone that may have been more recently repaired or lightly modified for one of several reasons. Then, there are those people looking for all the best look of an old cut in a newly minted old looking diamond, which has the high light return features available utilizing more recent diamond cutting knowledge and techniques that did not exist a 100 years ago.

Thanks for your contribution, Dave.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Great Article Dave, thank you! :appl:

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Great article! I'll link it to Madelise's "Antique Diamond Guide" thread.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Loved this.. THANK YOU!!!!

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
Awesome article, thanks!!!!

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thank you. I have fielded many consumer questions concerning the information in the article, so I thought there were likely a lot more folks who would enjoy the info....

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you, great info!!!! :appl:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, very nice article, Dave! :appl:

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
thanks for the great article...the chart was interesting.

VanCraeynest

Rough_Rock
Trade
Beautiful... my favorite stones! The prismatic light is always at its best in an antique old cut diamond! Thank you!
Paul

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results