shape
carat
color
clarity

LITE Foods, What's Good?

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I :love: shepherd's pie! Take HOT's mashed cauliflower as a substitute for mashed potatoes. For the meat, we get lean ground beef or ground turkey - depends on how indulgent we're feeling, and for the veggies to mix in with the meat, we use frozen mixed veggies with peas, carrots, lima beans, string beans. A liter, healthier version of the regular shepherd (if using baaa...) or cottage (if using moo...) pie. :lickout:

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Haven|1340842693|3224787 said:
MissGotRocks--I don't know if you're into reading long threads about inane cooking details, but if you are, this is a great Chowhound thread about this recipe:
http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/421367

Mmmmmmm. I love this sauce. Great tomatoes are the key, though. If you buy canned, get san marzanos.
Hmm, maybe I can convince DH to make this for me tonight . . .

Thanks for the link, Haven! I've never made tomato sauce with butter. It sounds really good but a bit rich with so much butter. I might try it with a little less.

I've searched for san marzano tomatoes at a few local grocery stores but I can't find them. Bummer.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
It is a lot of butter, Zoe. DH tried it with half, and it turned out pretty terrible. I think the Chowhounds warn against cutting the butter, too. It really takes away the richness of the sauce. The recipe is for four servings, so each serving really only has a tablespoon and a half of butter per serving, which isn't so terrible. The danger with the cutting the butter in this recipe is that it's 1/3 of the ingredients! I think it's vital for a good sauce. I hope you can find San Marzanos, I buy mine at the local Israeli grocery store. They have more imported ingredients than other groceries.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the tip, Haven. I read the thread last night, and I noticed that people didn't recommend reducing the butter. I'll have to try it - it sounds so good.

purselover

Ideal_Rock
I 2nd suzie's thin cakes they are so good! I eat them either plain, with hummus, or peanut butter, or with ice cream as dessert. Since I try to follow a vegan diet I also don't eat traditional ice cream and buy Soy Delicious brand fruit sweetened soy ice cream instead. It is amazing and much lower in sugar since it is naturally sweetened with fruit! Other healthy snacks we keep around are: air popped popcorn, glenny's brand soy crisps (the multigrain plain are amazing!!!), hummus, carrots, raw and/or minimal ingredient granola bars, apples, whole wheat pita, boca brand spicy chick'n patties (vegan but tastes just like a chicken patty with less fat!) and unsweetened plain soy yogurt.

DH does not follow my eating style but is very happy with the above list (so it is non-health enthusiast approved!) and he also really likes: popchips, lentil chips, flax seed wraps, 2% fage, and granola (but watch the label can be very high in sugar!). Let me know if you want any dinner ideas I am a pretty healthy eater so I have a ton of suggestions.

ETA: oh and we are both obsessed with pretzel crisps, all the flavors are sooo good, and the cinnamon sugar are just like dessert!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haven|1340842693|3224787 said:
MissGotRocks--I don't know if you're into reading long threads about inane cooking details, but if you are, this is a great Chowhound thread about this recipe:
http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/421367

Mmmmmmm. I love this sauce. Great tomatoes are the key, though. If you buy canned, get san marzanos.
Hmm, maybe I can convince DH to make this for me tonight . . .

Yeah, great and interesting comments. I am going to try this very soon!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results