shape
carat
color
clarity

Jeweler BURNED prongs during cleaning?!

NeedaRockSoon

Rough_Rock
Hello all,

I took my wife's engagement ring into the jeweler that I purchased the ring from (Verragio ring) to get it cleaned. When they gave it back, I gave it a quick once-over and left. Gave it back to my wife this evening and we both noticed that the prongs are BLACK. They look like they were burned with a torch or something. It's very hideous and disgusting. I'm going to go back to them tomorrow to complain and blow up but I'm trying to figure out HOW something like this could even happen?! I don't think a general cleaning would get hot enough to turn white gold into black.

If the jeweler is uncooperative, or tries to blame me for this damage, what recourse do I have?

Thanks
- NaRS

katiedub

Rough_Rock
hi there!
i am sorry this happened to your wife's ring. i am by no means an expert but i thought i would offer an idea. i was thinking it could be that the rhodium plating may have come off the prongs and possibly just needs to be replated. i have had the plating come off of some of my white gold rings. if they refuse to fix it or take the blame i think you just need to be adament. i mean, if this is the same jeweler you got the ring from i think they are totally responsible for it. best of luck, i hope they will be happy to fix it for you!

katie

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
The black stuff may be polishing compound. Rub the black with a paper towel and see if you get a smudge. When you take it back have them examine it and see if they can tell you what it is. I'm thinking that they gave it a quick polish and didn't leave it in the ultrasonic cleaner long enough to remove the polishing residue. Don't get mad, just get it fixed.

TRIALnERROR

Shiny_Rock
NeedaRockSoon|1340851699|3224911 said:
Hello all,

I took my wife's engagement ring into the jeweler that I purchased the ring from (Verragio ring) to get it cleaned. When they gave it back, I gave it a quick once-over and left. Gave it back to my wife this evening and we both noticed that the prongs are BLACK. They look like they were burned with a torch or something. It's very hideous and disgusting. I'm going to go back to them tomorrow to complain and blow up but I'm trying to figure out HOW something like this could even happen?! I don't think a general cleaning would get hot enough to turn white gold into black.

If the jeweler is uncooperative, or tries to blame me for this damage, what recourse do I have?

Thanks
- NaRS

If all else fails, you may have a cause of action for negligence.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Michael_E said:
The black stuff may be polishing compound. Rub the black with a paper towel and see if you get a smudge. When you take it back have them examine it and see if they can tell you what it is. I'm thinking that they gave it a quick polish and didn't leave it in the ultrasonic cleaner long enough to remove the polishing residue. Don't get mad, just get it fixed.

My thought was that it was polishing compound, too.

DiamondBrokersofFlorida

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I think it might be polishing compound as well, and very easy to just clean it off.

NeedaRockSoon

Rough_Rock
I don't think it's polishing compound. I've rubbed it and tried to clean it myself to no avail. Looking at it through the loupe, it definitely looks like its been to a torch since the metal is discolored near the black part. Kinda goes from a white -> copperish -> black hue.

DiamondBrokersofFlorida

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Not sure why they would use a torch to just clean a ring. :confused:

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
I'm not sure what the black could be either other than polishing compound that was already suggested, so I can't be any help there. But I don't think that you should run into the store screaming and pointing fingers immediately. There could be a logically explanation and a very simple fix, in which case getting angry at the onset just make you look unreasonable. I understand your panic though, believe me. I'd be a wreck if my ring came back in that condition, but I would like to think that I could go back and very reasonably and calmly ask for an explanation and a repair. More bees with honey type of thing. :wink2:

I believe that all Verragio settings come with some sort of warranty that may cover the damage if it isn't a simple fix, it's possible that the jeweler you purchased from has one as well. Otherwise I'd contact whoever your insurance provider is for the ring and inquire about your coverage and making a claim, but only if it is indeed an expensive repair and one that was no fault of the jeweler and won't be covered by a warranty.

Rhapsody

Shiny_Rock
NeedaRockSoon|1340895894|3225123 said:
I don't think it's polishing compound. I've rubbed it and tried to clean it myself to no avail. Looking at it through the loupe, it definitely looks like its been to a torch since the metal is discolored near the black part. Kinda goes from a white -> copperish -> black hue.

I wouldn't discount that it's polishing compound because you can't clean it out yourself. A jeweler trapped some polishing compound under one of my stones and I scrubbed at it for about a week to no avail before I could get back to the jeweler to have them clean it out. The gradation in colour could be where you've cleaned some of it off but not all of it, mine looked kind of the same except it graded from a weird green colour to black-ish. Try not to panic just yet!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results