shape
carat
color
clarity

Ever take a water aerobics or other type of water class?

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm looking into taking a water aerobics class at the gym and I wondered if others here have taken one before. What class was it? What did you like (and not like) about it? I thought it would be a fun way to get some exercise in, and if it helps in the weight loss dept., great!

What was your experience like?

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I used to take one about 15 years ago (OLD!) and really enjoyed it. There aren't a lot of nice pools where I live now so it's not a real option or I'd do it again for sure. FWIW, I did get some kind of special "water shoes" to help my feet grip on the bottom & give me extra traction. I don't swim so I was afraid of falling underwater. HA!

(Be prepared for everyone there to be much older than you!)

ETA: What I liked best & worst about it ...

BEST: no stress on joints, feeling cool rather than sweaty during workout & after, refreshed/peaceful feeling afterwards
WORST: sometimes they had us "massage" each other's backs & stuff -- always felt a little awkward to me, touching wet strangers.

EETA: The place I used to take Aqua Aerobics is around the corner from where Lena Dunham just bought an apartment. Wonder if she'll start taking classes there!?

Hera

Ideal_Rock
I used to take classes about 5 years ago. You do stay cool, the workout doesn't seem quite as difficult, and it's much easier on the body. The only negative is that I'm not sure I really saw any results and being in a swimming pool makes me hungry.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Deco and Hera!

Deco, I thought of getting water shoes, but I'm not sure I'll need them. I love swimming, so as long as I can touch the bottom, I'm not worried. I picture the class being at the 5 foot mark, which to regular folks, would be just fine. For me, however, it's not. I'm too damn short! I figured I'll be the youngest one there, and to be honest, it will be a relief. It's better than taking a class with young, hot, bronzed, toned beauties and feeling not quite up to par. :bigsmile:

Hera, being in a pool makes you hungry? Lol! I mentioned the weight loss because someone I know said that she was able to lose weight doing water aerobics. I'm not counting on it but it will be a bonus if I see any results.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
I did it a few times at the beginning of my pregnancy. Honestly, I didn't think it was a very good workout IF you are already in good shape. I never got tired or out of breath. But, I was a runner before I got preggo, so my cardio level was pretty high. I think if I tried it now it would be a different story...seeing how getting out of bed is a chore.

I do think it's a great option for people with joint issues. I'd recommend using a water belt and running in the pool as well. Now that's a workout!!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

The workout is only as difficult as you make it. You can do amazingly "little" in those classes....

I used to do a deep water class, but found it wasn't as much a workout as I wanted...so now I do my own thing. I also wear aquasox but I run against the current in our lazy river--as I "need" the traction cuz slipping would be dangerous....

cheers--Sharon

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I teach water aerobics. I do recommend the shoe's not only for traction but in a shallow class you should still be doing a lot of jumping and the water lessens the impact but it doesn't eliminate it. You definitely will get out what you put in, but a good instructor should have a routine put together that will raise your heard rate. Using the buoy weights and added other equipment will also increase the intensity. It's nice cross training activity to do. I'd still recommend land and cycle classes though.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've taken water aerobics classes and really liked them. I love being in water, and it's nice to exercise without feeling all hot and sweaty. Less pressure on the joints, too. I've taken classes where you use these "weights" made out of foam for arm exercises, and I really felt those. Overall I felt I got a good workout, especially when running in the water - but I think I could have used some kind of water shoe, I felt I was slipping a lot. I think the key is to put a lot of effort into the exercises and do them correctly.

Yes, most of the people were older than me - and it felt good to be one of the young ones for a change! :D

Hera

Ideal_Rock
Zoe|1340751529|3224077 said:
Thanks Deco and Hera!

Hera, being in a pool makes you hungry? Lol! I mentioned the weight loss because someone I know said that she was able to lose weight doing water aerobics. I'm not counting on it but it will be a bonus if I see any results.

Being in a pool does make me hungry and when I googled it, I found it was common occurrence for swimmers.

http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/workout/tips/expert-advice/why-am-i-always-hungry-after-swimming/

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
I took a water aerobics class while I was in my third trimester with my last baby. I liked the class but hated getting into the chilly pool. I know they offer a deep water aerobics class and I thought about taking that but they have people sitting on the bleachers while their kids are taking swim lessons. Last thing I want is someone staring at me.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
heraanderson|1340764950|3224187 said:
Zoe|1340751529|3224077 said:
Thanks Deco and Hera!

Being in a pool does make me hungry and when I googled it, I found it was common occurrence for swimmers.

http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/workout/tips/expert-advice/why-am-i-always-hungry-after-swimming/

It helps if you drink plenty of water during and after the workout. Staying hydrated is especially important in a pool b/c you body doesn't regulate your temperature as easily and you have a greater chance of overheating that you would if you were running on a tread mill.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks so much, everyone!

Amc, truth be told, I'm not great at exercising regularly. I've always aspired to be a runner though. First thing's first. I'll begin by walking. :bigsmile:

MrsSalvo, thanks for the tips!

Junebug, that's actually one of the reasons I want to take a water class. I hate that hot and sweaty feeling after going to the gym.

Hera, interesting! Random thought, but when I swim laps, I feel really nauseous afterwards. And I usually only do it for about 20 minutes. Does this happen to others?

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just got back from class. It was really fun! I ended up not needing water shoes. I had to stand on my tip toes the whole time because the water in the shallow end is still kind of deep for me. I'm not sure how much of a work out it was because I don't feel it at all, but at least it got me out of the house and exercising. Oh, and I was the youngest by FAR. The only downside is that now I feel really nauseous. I'm not sure why that happens. I'm planning on going to the Friday class, and there's also a Water Warriors class that I might look into.

Davidfrisby

Rough_Rock
My experience about this class was that for some days till I have done the exercise and aerobics, I was feeling very nice, but when I left doing exercise again I got the same problem and I gained the weight.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Oh hell yes. Five days a week until I frapped my back recently.

Medium to high intensity. I do shallow fit and deep water fit. The deep water has less impact on your joints but I sure love the shallow fit and getting my cardio pumped up in the shallow pool.

Pros: you stay cool (hot flashes for me), easier on joints, great cardio, you can tailor the workout to easy/medium/hard as needed, water is relaxing, works many muscle groups. There are more I can't think of as I'm hungry :twirl:

Cons: you smell like chlorine (if that is how they treat the pool), my classes tend to be full and it's sometimes hard to get full range of motion or really give 'er when we travel up and down the pool. Then I take out a flutter board and do laps afterwards if that's the case. Sometimes the water is cold or too warm depending on how you feel or what is going on in the pool. The change rooms - I'm not a big fan of gettin' neckid in front of people to I have to wait for a family change room :lol:. When I first started, I got bigger. The was me building muscles in areas that I hadn't built before. It settled down after a bit of growth, and I quite like my muscles. Mind you, I really give 'er in the pool so that might have something to do with it. Not everyone gets that definition, but I like it.

Go for it. Heck, I'll join you once the back forgives me.

Oh yes, one thing. If you have glasses (like me) and if they are grossly expensive lenses (like mine are), wear your old glasses to the pool. The water (chlorine?) left permanent spots on my Nikon lenses. Even though I cleaned them afterwards. Have "pool glasses" or risk spots.

Davidfrisby

Rough_Rock
Yes while doing swimming on a regular basis, a person gets more hungry. The diet of a person increases by doing swimming.
------------
http://www.cellublue.com/

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results