shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling Dreamer_D and Yssie and other old cut lovers~

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
I love the lotus idea!!! how would you incorporate that into your dream setting like the one above? i have so many ideas right now!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your setting idea is pretty!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
She's officially mine once payment clears!!! :love: :love: :love:

551859_3575545101370_1113091233_n.jpg

DSC_0429.JPG

sideprofilecolourzoom1212.jpg

directsunlight1928102.jpg

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
and the rest :)

Sorry for the less-than-PS quality, SO shot them ;-) so they were all side profiles.. I have a tentative appointment with Patrick Davis on Tuesday =)

DSC_0424.JPG

inholder9821918.jpg

faint_fluo_shot129890812.jpg

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
so Patrick reiterated what I was already okay with, that OECs are not cut for maximum performance so I shouldn't expect that. He did say, though, that this one does have a lot of light return for an old european.. but since it's symmetry is only a "good", it wouldn't be as sharp of a light flicker.

he did confirm it is an authentic OEC, not one of those made-now to copy OECs that are now slipping through the cracks.. and the only "work" it's received was a slight girdle polish. It's still rated THIN on one side, so I asked if he felt it was safe enough to set w/o a protective setting, and he said it should be no problem. I'm still weary though!

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
She is g*o*r*g*e*o*u*s!!!! Congratulations!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, it's gorgeous and huge!!

Congrats!

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations! I am so happy that you found your perfect OEC. :appl: :appl: :appl:

It looks stunning, especially with the 3/4 eternity :naughty: haha. The OEC really does look spectacular-it is going to give some amazing finger coverage.

Now to start the fun of deciding on a setting!

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations, it's a beauty and I am thrilled for you :appl:

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh I just love it!! It's so funny with the .70c... because I'm not used to seeing such large stones I thought the 10mm could look like a 2c and the .7c like a .3c or something! My scale meter is off!

It looks REALLY white too, it's a GIA M right? I would think EGL would even call that like a J or something based on your pics!

On the temp setting, I probably would have done the same thing, about waffling then adding more and more and more but thankfully I wanted the diamond set for a trip like 3 days after I bought it and so I knew I was getting the most basic of the basic. But it came out great and now I have something to wear while I mull over my more permanent setting and there's no rush. Before I would have been CHAFING to wear that thing and every day and just irritated with any delay. So def consider it! GOG is in NY which means they have access to the most basic of 14k white gold settings and they should be able to turn the thing really quickly. And I would imagine it wouldn't be more than $200-300. There are basic 6 prong WG settings on eBay for $150 from NYC dealers so I imagine GOG could do somewhat similar pricing on a simple setting job. I would ask, esp if you are forking over the big bucks for this stone!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Gem fever, Laila, Armywife, bright ice & Mara!!

Mara- lol!! I dont know how to picture diamond sizes either! In my head, I thought a 3ct would be 3x the size of that .7! At least! Lol!! :( to my dismay.... I can totally still picture DSS sinking in.. =X that's why I think a halo might still be my go-to.

I don't know if I'm okay with those plain, peg head 6-prongs, though :( I wouldn't like it, even as a temp. Plus, I'm way too nervous to ship it back and forth to NYC again.. I was on pins until Patrick confirmed receiving the package! I even paid an extra $100 just for Patrick to be the one to pick it up, sign for it, and open it. I'm paranoid :(

I want a PRETTY temp.. Like maybe a good T&Co 6prong replica? But all the good ones are 1k+.. And I feel it's a "waste" of 1k if it's not a permanant home. Oy, I'm a mess ;-)

And as for color.. It is an M. Patrick put it in the line-up of master colored stones, and it's definitely an accurate grade. It's a shame it's a VVS1. I'm really *not* a stickler to clarity. Patrick couldn't even find the inclusion that was listed on the plot. It was perfectly clean. So that, unfortunately, drove the price north :(. But Patrick did say that faint fluo helps keep my diamond a little less warm looking :). That I can't complain about!!! I imagined EGL would have graded it as a J-K, IF. Maybe I should send it to EGL USA? ;-) ;-) I'm curious. I wonder how much that would cost.. :)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd definitely go with one of the cheap plain "tiffany" settings until you decide. No way would I waste more than two or three hundred for a short term setting. Trust me, it will be fine and all you're going to see is that huge diamond! It is beautiful! :love: And DSS??? I hope you're kidding because that already looks like a (very nice) doorknob sitting on your finger! Between that diamond and the band you bought, you'll be 100% blinged out! :bigsmile:

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1339879701|3217844 said:
I'd definitely go with one of the cheap plain "tiffany" settings until you decide. No way would I waste more than two or three hundred for a short term setting. Trust me, it will be fine and all you're going to see is that huge diamond! It is beautiful! :love: And DSS??? I hope you're kidding because that already looks like a (very nice) doorknob sitting on your finger! Between that diamond and the band you bought, you'll be 100% blinged out! :bigsmile:

Thanks, DS. We'll see how my Thurs appointment goes with SN Queens. If it's too much of a leap to get my dream setting, I'll suck it up and get a temp. Jeez, who knew it'd be just as stressful for the setting as it is for the center stone?!

And I don't know if I'm kidding about the DSS or not! I can imagine that, after time, I'd "get used to it", and want more. I definitely hope I won't.. but JustGinger also posted in her thread that she now no longer feels her 4ct cushion is "big", and can imagine DSS as well. I think I'm having that sort of experience.

Oh, and I had to throw out, that I *love* the fact that I am getting a 10mm without reaching the 4ct mark! It's half the reason I couldn't go for JbEG's 4.09 ZL twin! The number 4 sounds like "die" in Chinese, and I know my grandma would KILL me AND SO if we got anything with a 4 in it.

And I love the sort of shallowness to it. I feel like I'm getting more bang for my buck, since visually, it appears larger from the top-down view. I also like that it won't stick out from my finger as much :) I am quite clumsy.

ah, I'm sitting here at work, day dreaming of my "one" :)!!! Please tell me this is normal!

ETA: Doorknob. I like it. LOL! I think it might be it's new nickname. I'm in a search of a 1920's popular name to name her. Okay, I def know this isn't normal :X

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You should go check out the recent Hangout thread "You know you're a PSer when..." That is to say, you're definitely normal by PS standards ;-)

Don't stress out too much about the setting. I'd probably want the stone on my finger ASAP, so I'd go for the cheap one to start, unless you can afford your dream one right away. But you don't have to do it, you could just wait without setting. Just play with the stone as it is.

MyDiamondSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
:appl: :appl: You like it! Yay! It's absolutely amazing and I think it's the perfect size. :love:

It's so funny about you on your balcony because all of those JBEG videos I wonder how many times they drop the diamond and can imagine them digging thru the bushes or grass for it. :shock:

Okay, I am going to share with you my temporary setting experience--AWFUL! :nono: I am not exactly sure who is getting a temp setting for $300 but it ain't happening for me at all. I've been to no less than 6 jewelry stores and all of them said because of the size of the stone the setting has to be custom ordered or made, yadda, yadda. All of the estimates I've gotten for simple "stock" type/ prong settings have been $2k. So for that price I might as well go ahead and get the permanent setting.

Anyway, I am soooo glad you like it and it's a keeper! It really is the most amazing feeling to have found "the one". :appl:

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
GemFever|1339886024|3217902 said:
You should go check out the recent Hangout thread "You know you're a PSer when..." That is to say, you're definitely normal by PS standards ;-)

Don't stress out too much about the setting. I'd probably want the stone on my finger ASAP, so I'd go for the cheap one to start, unless you can afford your dream one right away. But you don't have to do it, you could just wait without setting. Just play with the stone as it is.

haha, I gotta see that one!

I think I'd feel like how you're describing, rushing for a temp setting, if I actually got to play with it ;-) After this Thursday, my diamond is disappearing for good until the big Popping of the Q! I don't think SO will even let me see the setting when it's finished! I will play with it as much as possible in the 2 days I will have it, though! I borrowed SO's DSLR, and will be playing with it all over my neighbors' gardens, lol!!! So look forward to a SMTB thread on my new-to-me, preloved band as well as my new-to-me, preloved set of earrings that I bought almost a year ago from Athena! I've got a new grape vine in bloom, so I'm super excited to hang a few sparlies on the vines for a couple shots!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
MyDiamondSparkles|1339886996|3217912 said:
:appl: :appl: You like it! Yay! It's absolutely amazing and I think it's the perfect size. :love:

It's so funny about you on your balcony because all of those JBEG videos I wonder how many times they drop the diamond and can imagine them digging thru the bushes or grass for it. :shock:

Okay, I am going to share with you my temporary setting experience--AWFUL! :nono: I am not exactly sure who is getting a temp setting for $300 but it ain't happening for me at all. I've been to no less than 6 jewelry stores and all of them said because of the size of the stone the setting has to be custom ordered or made, yadda, yadda. All of the estimates I've gotten for simple "stock" type/ prong settings have been $2k. So for that price I might as well go ahead and get the permanent setting.

Anyway, I am soooo glad you like it and it's a keeper! It really is the most amazing feeling to have found "the one". :appl:

Haha, Grace told me about her losing a stone!! I actually think it might be your new cushion! She was taking photos and video of it when it dropped! She said she had to dangle a $20 bill in front of her husband and kids to get them to hunt for it! Lol!! I was so nervous, b/c I didn't want to run away from Patrick's office.. I was holding a lot of $ that he was responsible for! So I just stepped *right* outside his office doors, which was upstairs. I wanted something organic in the background, so I leaned over the tree's leaves without even thinking, and SO nearly had a heart attack! I didn't even *THINK*!!

I got a quote from Poppyseed for a temp that's less than $300.. and the fishtail setting for less than $300. I just don't want to have to pay an additional fee to a jeweler to set it. Like you said, they would be custom made due to the larger size.. so either way, I'd have to wait quite a time for it to be made. There's currently a very "stock" solitaire that will fit a 10mm+ center stone going for $200 on DB.. but again, I don't want to pay that much for a temp!

Have you posted about what setting you'll be getting for your new honker?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
You are insane, pay the frigging $300 or even $500 for your temp!! THINK about how much FUN and happiness and joy you will get out of wearing that diamond? That is worth $500. You would spend that on two or three dinners out, a couple shopping trips, a plane ride to visit the in laws... and the diamond is so much better and more fun to wear than ANY of those things!! :bigsmile:

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer_D|1339915758|3218089 said:
You are insane, pay the frigging $300 or even $500 for your temp!! THINK about how much FUN and happiness and joy you will get out of wearing that diamond? That is worth $500. You would spend that on two or three dinners out, a couple shopping trips, a plane ride to visit the in laws... and the diamond is so much better and more fun to wear than ANY of those things!! :bigsmile:

;)) but I won't be able to wear it! It's getting confiscated on Thursday! ;(

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
This.

That stone looks killer and WOW it seems to face up very white! I can't wait to see more pics of it (hint, hint).

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1339916751|3218099 said:
This.

That stone looks killer and WOW it seems to face up very white! I can't wait to see more pics of it (hint, hint).

I promise to spam you :bigsmile:

LJL

Brilliant_Rock
Madelise, who is the seller on that ebay setting??? It is TO DIE FOR...
Dont worry, I'm not going to steal it out from under you, I just want to get a couple more pics/specs so I can save it to my faves :bigsmile:

madelise|1339747067|3216777 said:
Mara|1339734568|3216716 said:
Oooh congratulations..!!! I love that beauty (and that other 3c he had is no slouch either!!)... It reminds me a little of my 3.33 in it's slight off-round shape and the way it sparkles. Fantastic find! Can't wait to see how you set it...any ideas?

lol, thank you! Yes, that other 3.2 was also amazing! It was like fireworks under the spotlighting view!

I'm actually kind of still stuck on the rut as far as setting goes. For the last few weeks, I pondered getting a temp setting asap, so I can get it insured asap. But then I don't want to "waste" a couple hundred dollars (I am actually a very stingy and cheap person!) for a temporary setting. I originally intended to go to SN Queens to search for an antique-y feel temp! The more I played around with a temp setting, the more elaborate I wanted it. First I wanted just a plain ol', anything solitaire setting. The cheapest I can get. Then I wanted to get it with 4 double claw prongs. Then I wanted it with some bling on the "basket" area (well.. not basket, since it'd be an open solitaire.. but I was imagining a wire going around, hugging the prongs, and it being covered in melee). I liked the GOG Lily setting. Then I wanted to stick little marquise side stones, to make a little leaf motif with milgrain. My "temp" setting just kept getting more and more elaborate, and less "temp"-y. Then I pulled up an image of a setting on eBay that SO and I love..

But then, in that case, if I'm spending that much time and $$ for a "temp" setting, why not just lunge into exactly the setting I want? So now my head starts running wild. I have drawn out sketches of my "dream" setting, a halo with an elaborate basket featuring lotus flowers.. (Yes, I'm crazy, I want a halo on this thing, but hey, the famous Zahra/Mike ring was also 10+mm and it has a DOUBLE halo!) I have drawn out multiple versions of what I am dreaming up.. including a version with tiny marquise diamonds as the "petals" in the lotus flower!

Andddd.. and I'm back at square 1 with thinking that we already blew our budget with the center stone, and that I should probably just stick it in a simper temp setting for a few years before I get it set in my dream setting. I'm still super iffy!!

The ebay setting that SO and I love:

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LJL|1339952902|3218247 said:
Madelise, who is the seller on that ebay setting??? It is TO DIE FOR...
Dont worry, I'm not going to steal it out from under you, I just want to get a couple more pics/specs so I can save it to my faves :bigsmile:

feel free to buy? lol! it's not "mine". there's "melonypino" and "melsantiquejewelrytoo". 2 branches of the same seller, I believe. When I was originally asking for a 9mm stone, he went the next day to get a 9mm cz to see if it would be "safe" in the setting. He was really nice in advising me against it.. and suggesting which settings would better fit a 9mm.

They're all repros, I believe. He has most listed under "antique reproductions" but some aren't.. Lookit this bad boy:

!CBuN!2w!2k~$(KGrHqR,!i4E0GYeDvH)BNI0!jS4sQ~~_3.JPG

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
wow, that one is gorgeous too!

I like these styles a lot :)

LJL

Brilliant_Rock
sigh, i love it...

..i had been to those ebay stores before but somehow missed those settings... thanks for leading me on the right path - theyre just gorgeous but most of them seem to be for HUGE stones..

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LJL|1339973475|3218373 said:
sigh, i love it...

..i had been to those ebay stores before but somehow missed those settings... thanks for leading me on the right path - theyre just gorgeous but most of them seem to be for HUGE stones..

Anyone can make a copy or alteration of these. I'd rec SN Queens or Single Stone to make an antique repro, though, since they hand forge platinum and hand design the milgraining. =)

Do you already have your center stone? Or are you still contemplating?

LJL

Brilliant_Rock
I do not have one - we are looking at buying this summer but I haven't seen one that "spoke" to me and we aren't ready to start contacting vendors. I want one to just POP UP and be perfect, but I think we will have to start contacting vendors if it gets to August and I haven't seen what I want organically. But I DO know that it wont be 9mm+ ;( hahahah

Isn't Single Stone pretty expensive? I remember reading some quotes that other people had asked for and they were ~3k for fairly simple designs. I'm really not married to hand-forged in any way so those mel's options look pretty nice!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well.. I'll let you know that I inquired about making a setting based on the first one I attached.. With modifications and a pave shank.. And I got quoted about the same price as eBay ;-)

From what I understood from what SN Queens told me.. Only hand forged antiques are able to get THAT detailed. Milgraining is all done by hand. Casting would make it look sloshy, and not "fine". Of course, this could just be a marketing tactic, but it kind of makes sense to me.

I haven't visited SS, so I don't know how they compare. I have heard here on PS that they are on the pricier end, though.

What type of center stone are you looking for? An OEC too? *excited*

MyDiamondSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
madelise|1339888994|3217921 said:
MyDiamondSparkles|1339886996|3217912 said:

Haha, Grace told me about her losing a stone!! I actually think it might be your new cushion! She was taking photos and video of it when it dropped! She said she had to dangle a $20 bill in front of her husband and kids to get them to hunt for it! Lol!! I was so nervous, b/c I didn't want to run away from Patrick's office.. I was holding a lot of $ that he was responsible for! So I just stepped *right* outside his office doors, which was upstairs. I wanted something organic in the background, so I leaned over the tree's leaves without even thinking, and SO nearly had a heart attack! I didn't even *THINK*!!

I got a quote from Poppyseed for a temp that's less than $300.. and the fishtail setting for less than $300. I just don't want to have to pay an additional fee to a jeweler to set it. Like you said, they would be custom made due to the larger size.. so either way, I'd have to wait quite a time for it to be made. There's currently a very "stock" solitaire that will fit a 10mm+ center stone going for $200 on DB.. but again, I don't want to pay that much for a temp!

Have you posted about what setting you'll be getting for your new honker?

Oh my gosh, tooo funny about Grace having to wave a $20 in front of the family to find my stone! LOL! I'm glad they found it! :)

I have no idea why the quotes I am receiving for a temp setting are so high. First off, there aren't a lot of settings to choose from for a cushion cut--something I surely didn't think of when choosing the stone. I think this process would be much, much easier with a smaller OEC--but who knows since some of them tend to be wonky shapes too.

And to answer your question about posting about the setting am getting--I posted just a bit about it, but it was really more of a girdle thinness and setting options question. That being said, I've spent several days out and about trying on all kind of settings. I do have definite likes--I mean once I try it on I can tell you within 2 seconds yes or no. The real problem is, is what I think I'd like for this stone I don't like at all once I try it on. You know, like all of the antique-y type settings--once I try them on a don't like them at all--but when I see them on PS I love them--go figure! I know I love a simple solitaire perhaps with some milgrain/ pave/ something decorative on the basket and I may end up going that route, with an eternity band--I know that seems boring doesn't it? But it's a look I've always loved! :)

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
oh haiiiii finally popping in your RT thread here!!!! absolutely love the stone you ended up with...and totally agree about the no 4s thing!!!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results