shape
carat
color
clarity

Royal Jewels

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
For those who could not or still can't see the photos from the service at St Paul's, here are they all. Some of them will appear in smaller size, so everyone who'd like to see them in full will have to visit GettyImages and Profimedia. BTW this is how I've always linked photos and articles, so it's quite strange that these photos aren't accessible.... Anyway!
Part one - Queen & Immediate family:
145759100.jpg 145760940.jpg
145762684.jpg
145747663.jpg
145757736.jpg
145767484.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Princess Margaret's daughter-in-law and daughter:
145767566.jpg
profimedia-0130950748.jpg

Note: the people and their jewels have been identified in the original post ()the one with the links). I shall add a small correction - The Duchess of Gloucester wore an aquamarine and diamond pendant, not an all diamond one as I said previously.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
AGBF|1339125147|3211576 said:
I found this photo of Queen Mary.

Deb/AGBF

No, this is not the photo I mean. This is it:
78949750-british-royalty-pic-circa-1924-hm-king-george-gettyimages.jpg

Your photo, Deb, shows George V and Queen Mary on BP's balcony after a service (at St Paul's?) for HM's silver jubilee in 1935. I can tell you what jewels the Queen wore then, if you want ;-)

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Meanwhile, HM The Queen of the Netherlands is on an official visit to Turkey to mark 400 years of diplomatic relations between the two countries. At the banquet in her honour Queen Beatrix wore a large aquamarine and diamond pendant on a diamond riviere, aquamarine drops hung from the diamond clusters (this is one of 3 sets of aqua pendants in the collection!), a matching ring and a diamond bracelet from the family collection. The pendant was originally hung on a thin diamond and platinum sautoir, a wedding present to Princess Julianna from Prince Bernhard, while the earrings are a more recent addition. This is the first time Her Majesty is seen with the pendant and the first time it is not worn on the sautoir:
PPE12061356.jpg PPE12061344.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
And now a sad news - the Swedish media is reporting that some of Princess Christina's jewellery has been stolen from her apartment at the Royal Palace in Stockholm. Among the stolen jewels are a tiara (presumably the small pearl and diamond one), a gold bangle from Haile Selassie and two rings from Princess Sibylla - one with a large aquamarine, the other with a large diamond. The estimated value of the jewels is 200.000 euro. Reportedly, the burglerer, a 19-year-old acquaintance of the family, threw the tiara in the river... Maybe he didn't like the design...?
Now seriously - I do hope the jewels are found, especially the tiara. And if they are not, I hope that they were insured.

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1339683739|3216012 said:
Meanwhile, HM The Queen of the Netherlands is on an official visit to Turkey to mark 400 years of diplomatic relations between the two countries.

On the second day of the visit, Queen Beatrix entertained her hosts with a performance by the Dutch dance theater at the Muhsin Ertuğrul theater in Istanbul. For this return event Her Majesty had chosen some of her private sapphire and diamond jewels - the large floral brooch, solitaire pendants as earrings, the modern bracelet and the very large sapphire ring:
PPE12061457.jpg PPE12061459.jpg

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
The President of China is on a State Visit to Denmark and today (on the second day) a State Banquet was held in his and his wife's honour. The royal ladies present went for less is more - The Queen wore the turquoise bandeau, turquoise pendant earrings, the large t brooch and a single string of pearls (and a gown seen on so many occasion in the past 3 years); The Crown Princess donned her diamond tiara and the aquamarine chandelier earrings (the dress is from the Monaco wedding); Princess Marie wore her diamond tiara and the long emerald earrings we first saw at the New Year's Court in 2011 (with the same dress).
I must say that I sort of understand Daisy and the Princesses. I mean why pull out the big guns when you guest of honour doesn't even obey to the dress code (though they all look good, of course).... Shame!

Photos can be found here: http://www.sn.dk/gallerier/153547/1#image

PS: Kudos to Helle Thorning-Schmidt (the Prime Minister)! She always looks the part at these events!

Bobby

BubblyBear

Shiny_Rock
Q Bea wore some beautiful amethysts at the Bourbon-Parma wedding today.

The bride was lovely in a laurel wreath tiara - more info on the tiara here: http://www.duroje.org/Laurel_Wreath_Tiara.htm - and huge pearls suspended from a diamond fleur-de-lis design.

BubblyBear

Shiny_Rock
Of course, today was also the Trooping of the Colour. Happy (official) birthday to Q Elizabeth! No huge news on the jewels worn - the same brooch has been worn for many years. Camilla wore her giant aqua choker. Catherine had some long modern drops that I have not been able really get a good look at.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
prince.of.preslav|1339795333|3217219 said:
PS: Kudos to Helle Thorning-Schmidt (the Prime Minister)! She always looks the part at these events!

I just had to go look, Bobby! She not only dressed appropriately for the event, but looked absolutely stunning! I wanted to share the photo!

Deb
:read:

HelleThorningSchmidt.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
AGBF|1339954736|3218262 said:
I just had to go look, Bobby! She not only dressed appropriately for the event, but looked absolutely stunning! I wanted to share the photo!

Deb
:read:

I'm glad you agree with me, Deb! And thank you for the photo.
I shall also mention Helle Thorning-Schmidt's appearance at Queen Margrethe II's Ruby Jubilee earlier this year. Two photos can be seen here:
Full length
Close up
I only with the Danish state invested in a tiara for the (spouse of the) Prime Minister to wear at glittering events, of which there are many in Denmark.

But this is a bit off topic in this thread.

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
BubblyBear|1339890272|3217930 said:
Q Bea wore some beautiful amethysts at the Bourbon-Parma wedding today.

The bride was lovely in a laurel wreath tiara - more info on the tiara here: http://www.duroje.org/Laurel_Wreath_Tiara.htm - and huge pearls suspended from a diamond fleur-de-lis design.

It's a bit strange to say it, but Queen Beatrix was indeed among the best dressed and most bejeweled ladies at her niece's wedding. I wonder if s.o. has ever seen a close-up of her lovely (privately owned) amethysts:
PPE12061678.jpg
PPE-Agency/Edwin Veloo

And here is the bride with the laurel leaf tiara:
PPE12061651.jpg
PPE-Agency/Edwin Veloo

*HRH's dress/tiara combo reminds me of Lady Rose Windsor's wedding attire, though more lacy.

On another note, I think it's interesting to note that the older generation was better dressed (imho) than the younger guests.
And something else - Did anyone notice Princess Mabel's eyes? Such a sad sight... Thank God the Orange-Nassaus are a closely knit and supportive family.

More photos from the wedding can be seen here and here

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
BubblyBear|1339890578|3217936 said:
Of course, today was also the Trooping of the Colour. Happy (official) birthday to Q Elizabeth! No huge news on the jewels worn - the same brooch has been worn for many years. Camilla wore her giant aqua choker. Catherine had some long modern drops that I have not been able really get a good look at.

The Duchess of Cambridge wore these earrings at (a.o. events) the ARK 10th Anniversary Gala in KP, London. They are made of sterling silver and have a small iolite on top.
You can see a photo of them here - Effervescence Bubble Stiletto Earrings

Photos of junior members of the royal family are hardly available, especially ones where jewels can be identified. Yet in this one we can see that Princess Michael of Kent wore her two strands of large pearls, pearl drop earrings and the large cabochon sapphire brooch (which, IIRC, formerly belonged to Empress Maria Feodorovna):
146450914.jpg
Photo by Indigo/Getty Images

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Yesterday at St George's Chapel, Windsor Castle the annual Service for the Most Noble Order of the Garter was held in the Presence of the Royal Knights and the Companions of the Order, as well as their families.

First the Queen and the Royal Ladies of the Garter
HM the Queen, Sovereign of the Order, wore the Crown ruby and diamond earrings: Photo
HRH The Princess Royal her sapphire and diamond earrings and Maria Feodorovna's pearl and sapphire choker: Photo & Photo 2
Princess Alexandra choose her pearl and diamond cluster earrings and pearl choker: Photo

Now the other royals
The Duchess of Cornwall - the pearl choker with the pink topaz and diamond clasp, pearl and diamond earrings: Photo
The Duchess of Cambridge - the green amethyst and diamond earrings: Picture
The Countess of Wessex wore her diamond cluster earrings: Photo
The Duchess of Gloucester wore her large SS pearl necklace with the lovely aqua pendant and diamond clips and earrings: Photo
Lady Sarah Cahtto wore her mother's star brooch and matching earrings (Lord & Lady Linely and Lady Sarah were there because their sons were pages to The Queen): Photo

Photos courtesy of Zimbio and Daylife

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Today is the opening day of Royal Ascot, the annual horse races in Berkshire. The Queen lead the royal carriage procession in a lovely blue outfit with the brooch that is now part of the Brazilian Aquamarine parure:
Queen+Elizabeth+II+Racegoers+Attend+First+t-aF4NCShTyx.jpg
The full high rez photo - Link

ETA - More photos in the Daily Mail's article - Link

Bobby

sunshine996

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone! I've been a lurker for a couple of years now and finally decided to join in on the fun! :D

Since the Royal Ascot just started today I thought that everyone could post their favorite brooch the Queen has worn to the races/ a brooch that they wish the Queen would wear to the races. Here is mine: Queen Victoria's Diamnd Jubilee Brooch. "Among the presents received by Queen Victoria for her Diamond Jubilee in 1897 was a brooch from current and former members of her personal staff. Made by Carrington jewelers, the sizeable brooch features scrolls of diamonds around a large central pearl. The bottom chain of brilliants and pearl pendant are detachable." I love how the jewelers designed this brooch!

_Brooch.jpg

txgreeneyes

Shiny_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1336943349|3194466 said:
Today - 12 May - is the 75th anniversary of the Coronation of TM King George VI & Queen Elizabeth.

The Royal Couple with their daughters and the Dowager Queen:
1937CoronationBalcony.jpg

The Royal Couple's relatives at the Abbey:
1937CoronationRelatives.jpg

The Royal Family in Buckingham Palace:
U395219ACME.jpg

In the last photo, who is whom?

I know Princess Elizabeth and Princess Margaret and their parents (King George VI and Queen Elizabeth). Who are the other people?

PS. Bobby, I love your posts!

neil31uk

Shiny_Rock
txgreeneyes|1340166238|3219963 said:
prince.of.preslav|1336943349|3194466 said:
Today - 12 May - is the 75th anniversary of the Coronation of TM King George VI & Queen Elizabeth.

The Royal Family in Buckingham Palace:
U395219ACME.jpg

In the last photo, who is whom?

I know Princess Elizabeth and Princess Margaret and their parents (King George VI and Queen Elizabeth). Who are the other people?

PS. Bobby, I love your posts!

Hi, in this photo, they are, from Left to Right =
HRH The Princess Royal (Princess Mary, Countess Harewood, daughter of George V and sister to the new King)
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester (Princess Alice as she became known after she was widowed)
HRH The Duke of Gloucester (The King's brother and next in line to the throne after Princesses Elizabeth and Maragret Rose, he was legally set to become Regent if HRH Princess Elizabeth acceeded the throne before she was 18)
HM Queen Mary (wearing the circlet of her coronation crown which according to a book I have, she paid for out og her own money and intended for it to be used by all subsequent Queens Consort. However, her presence (unusually) at the coronation required a new crown for Queen Elizabeth. Her circlet was also stripped of the major diamonds and these went in Queen Elizabeth's crown and other stones from the cullunin collection used)
The King, Queen and Princesses
HRH The Duke of Kent (the King's Brother who died during WWII in a plane crash)
HRH The Duchess of Kent (aka Princess Marina of Greece and Denmark)
HM Queen Maud of Norway (formally HRH Princess Maud of Wales, daughter of Edward VII and aunt of the new King, she is wearing her maltease cross tiara with the crosses laid out making it look like a coronet or regal circlet)

I hope that helps?

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
neil31uk|1340187152|3220039 said:
Hi, in this photo, they are, from Left to Right =
(...)
HM Queen Maud of Norway (formally HRH Princess Maud of Wales, daughter of Edward VII and aunt of the new King, she is wearing her maltease cross tiara with the crosses laid out making it look like a coronet or regal circlet)

I hope that helps?

To be precise, Queen Maud wore the circlet that was made for her mother, Queen Alexandra, in November 1910.
I think that the only time we have seen Queen Alexandra wearing it was at the famous photo session where she also wore Queen Victoria's small crown:
AlexandrasCirclet.jpg

On another note, I have never been able to understand why a new crown had to be made for Queen Elizabeth. Obviously I know that Queen Mary attended and wore the circlet of her own crown (thus making it impossible for The Queen to wear it), but as the Dowager didn't wear the whole crown, she could wear Queen Victoria's Regal Circlet with the same effect. It's not that I complain. Not at all, as I'm quite fond of Queen Elizabeth's crown, yet I think it's a pity that the lovely Circlet had to be spared (can you imagine that another option was the small crown!).

Bobby

laurensmama

Shiny_Rock
Hello everyone,

I really enjoy seeing the older black and white photographs of Queen Mary, etc. Does anyone have any less familiar photos of Queen Mary or members of that generation with lots of jewels? Thanks so much.

sunshine996

Rough_Rock
I don't know what you're definition of "lots of jewels" is, but here are a few pictures of Queen Mary, the Duchess of Teck, and Alexandra.

queen-mary-wearing-the-1913-cambridge-lovers-knot-tiara-b.jpg

queen-mary-royalty-rppc-great-britain-england-united-kingdom.jpg

queen_mary_2098803b.jpg

QM5516.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
sunshine996|1340223232|3220460 said:
I don't know what you're definition of "lots of jewels" is, but here are a few pictures of Queen Mary, the Duchess of Teck, and Alexandra.

Actually, in both posts there are only photos of Queen Mary and one of them also shows the the Duke & Duchess of York and King George V ;-)

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Here are a few other photos of Queen Mary bedecked in jewels
queenmaryblue.jpg
663454-queen-mary-consort-to-king-george-v.jpg
4196527387_5e3045d86e_o.jpg

ETA - There's also a quite glittering portrait of The King & The Queen of Great Britain at the wedding of Princess Victoria Louse of Prussia where Queen Mary is seen wearing the State Diadem, the bow brooches with pendants (the Lahore diamond and the two drops from QV's earrings), three Cullinans as brooches, a dog collar of diamond collet necklaces, Queen Victoria's collet necklace with the Cullinans III&IV as pendant. In addition to all this, HM's also wearing the diamond set star of the Garter, a jewelled Lesser George, family orders, earrings, pair of bracelets and her bar brooch. It is a pity, though, that we don't have photos of the other guests.

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
And just for fun - a photo of Queen Mary wearing relatively few and simple jewels:
15817-A.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Princess Elena of Greece & Denmark weaing her mother's diamond kokoshnik by Cartier, a riviere and the huge bow brooch
HelenVladimirovna_cartierkokoshnik.jpg

On her wedding day wearing some of the most impressive diamonds from the Diamond Fund
HelenVladimirovna_weddiong.jpg

Empress Maria wearing the same necklace for a formal portrait (strictly speaking, she is from the generation before QM's)
dagmar26yp-453.jpg

Empress Alexandra wearing her most impressive diadem, other pearl and diamond jewels and the collar of the Order of St Andrew
Alexandra_Fyodorovna_LOC_01137u.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Royal ladies at the Coronation of Nicholas II in 1896
First row - Grand Duchess Alexandra Iosifovna and The Duchess of Connaught
Second row - Grand Duchess Maria Pavlovna and Grand Duchess Elena Vladimirovna
nick2coro.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results