shape
carat
color
clarity

How do I verify GIA inscription?

TRIALnERROR

Shiny_Rock
I just purchased a loose stone online and I would like to know how to view the GIA inscription. Can I see it with a 10X loupe? Is it located on the crown? Thanks for any info!

DiamondBrokersofFlorida

Shiny_Rock
Trade
You do need a 10X loupe. Look on the girdle of the diamond for the inscription. It may be hard to view unless you are accomplished with a loupe.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most GIA diamonds don't have an inscription. Does the certificate on yours say it does? You take the diamond to a jeweler or appraiser and ask them to verify that the stone is as represented on the grading report.

TRIALnERROR

Shiny_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1339536573|3214835 said:
Most GIA diamonds don't have an inscription. Does the certificate on yours say it does? You take the diamond to a jeweler or appraiser and ask them to verify that the stone is as represented on the grading report.

It looks like there is a field on the report for "Laser Inscription Registry" with the corresponding report number. I've attached a copy of the report, can someone advise if the stone is inscribed? Thank you.

GIA_0.jpg

TRIALnERROR

Shiny_Rock
Also, what does "Minor details of polish are not shown" refer to?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks like it does, but I would still have a jeweler verify anyway. They can look at inclusions and be certain it is the same stone.

It means they don't show every single thing on the inclusion plot.

TRIALnERROR

Shiny_Rock
I just read that apparently this comment is on most, if not all, GIA IF's. Has that been your experience?

"The comment "minor details of polish not shown" on a GIA graded diamond of Internally Flawless (IF) clarity is in my opinion a sort of "catch all liability opt out type of phrase" that the GIA seems to use on ALL diamonds that are graded as Internally Flawless. I''ve never seen an IF diamond graded by the GIA that does not have this phrase listed under the comments section. While "minor details of polish" may or may not actually be present, the presence of the phrase provides the GIA with protection in the event that they overlooked something (obviously minor). I wouldn''t worry about it. :)"

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/minor-details-of-polishing-are-present.56440/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/minor-details-of-polishing-are-present.56440/[/URL]

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It can take more than a 10X magnification - I asked a local jewelry shop if they would charge to check the inscription on a pair of earrings (they did not) and it took 45X magnification to read it.

btw the inscriptions are usually on the girdle.

ImmaSquashYou

Rough_Rock
just for future reference. Most internally flawless diamonds will have an inscription of the diamond in the girdle. It is the ones that are lower in clarity, (not sure where it stops) that doesn't have it. The reason being is that the diamond can be verified by looking at the inclusions on the GIA plot, and on the diamond itself. however, if wanted, you can put a laser inscription on a si2 diamond for fairly cheap if desired.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results