shape
carat
color
clarity

Same ring, two different sites

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love looking around at older cut rings, and today I came across a ring on an antique jewelry website that I recognized from a current Etsy listing. Same color, carat size, appraisal price etc. The only differences is that one lists as a size 5 3/4, the other 5 1/2. Also selling prices are slightly different. But to me, it seems like the exact same ring.

The etsy seller is calling herself a "private jeweler" but does not seem to be affiliated with the other website that has the same ring. (Jeweler in Los Angeles, website listed in Texas). Can someone explain how this is going on? Esp with older cut rings? I always assumed one of kind rings like this were in stock with whomever is selling it.

Picture one from etsy, pic two from the website.

1.92 antique ring.jpg

1.92 antique ring2.jpg

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
deleted. I got the wrong seller, me thinks ;-)

Mikla

Shiny_Rock
Premium
They are both pretty awful pictures, so maybe they copied off each other or someone else entirely. Are you interested in the ring itself?

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just browsing for now. Our 20th anniversary is coming up and I enjoy dreaming about having a big old cut ring. :love:

Both sites have what look like their own pictures of the ring.

lindacat

Rough_Rock
I have dealt with The Three Graces before and I believe them to be quite reputable. I know they also sell on Ruby Lane and their own website; not sure if they sell on other sites or not.
I would just come right out and ask Three Graces about it - and tell them you found the same exact ring on a different website and different seller; I would think it has to be the same ring!?
Maybe if the Etsy item "sold", the Etsy seller was then going to actually buy the item from Three Graces and then send it on to the buyer and make a small profit? If it sold for full price on Etsy, she could pay the price that Three Graces is asking and still make $800!

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was thinking something similar. Wondering WHO actually has possession of the ring. I want to be as informed as possible before making a big purchase (not interested in this exact ring, but I've seen some other items by the etsy seller that looked promising). I still can't figure how they both have what looks like individual pictures of the ring. The photos are NOT the same on both sites. After going back and looking last night, I realized the etsy seller actually lists the center stone as two different clarities (suspicious to me):

Stunning Original Art Deco Ring, 1.92cts EGL certified G VS1 Appraisal $26,440 just for the center diamond. This is really a special original Art Deco ring. The center Old European cut weighs 1.92cts, is certified to be a G SI1 and is appraised at $26,440.00.

lindacat

Rough_Rock
Sounds like alot of red flags to me! Maybe the Etsy seller took the original photo and photoshopped it somehow? I would be willing to bet money that Three Graces has the actual ring in their possession.
I would not want to do business with this seller on Etsy - but I am overly cautious, I guess!

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am almost sure I saw a different ring duplicated yesterday on another site, too. Can't find it now, though. I think it is most certainly the Etsy lister that is shifty here. I notice she has stuff on Ebay too.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
oh my, it *IS* the etsy seller I thought it was. She's.. shady. IMO.

She gave me a huge dramatic story and a bunch of anxiety when I inquired about a piece.. and wanted me to purchase RIGHT THEN AND THERE at the time we were supposed to meet! a few other PS-ers have shared with me that they thought she has an attitude problem, as well. SKIP!!

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I inquired about a ring she lad listed on ebay. It had one of those "on sale" signs on it. The very same day the sale sign was removed on that ring. I walked away... No thank you very much! I don't trust her!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Strange! I've always admired her stuff on ebay...interesting to find out she might be dodgy!

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you all for posting your stories about her! I appreciate knowing this info. I won't be buying from her any time soon.

lindacat

Rough_Rock
What is her seller name on Ebay? I want to avoid.....

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just note her real name on the etsy listing (it's at the bottom). Her ebay auctions have her name in it (first name) and always usually have the same spiel about her that's on the etsy page.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
nikki-knows-good-stuff

the fact that she had a ring that supposedly got sold by her 'associate' to another friend, who is a vendor, in NY state, and already had a buyer for that ring…. then she wanted to ship it back to CA, for me to see and buy ASAP because she's doing such a big favor for me…

and now she's selling items that she doesn't even have on-hand? What's she planning to do? Wait to see if she can sell it, then buy from the 3 Graces to ship to the buyer???

meh. avoid.

Fliphy

Rough_Rock
That sounds bad

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
There are "virtual" old cut rings in the same way there are virtual modern diamonds! They are owned by a dealer who lets various retailers advertise the rings. I don't know the ins and outs of how it works, but I've seen the same ring on different people's sites a couple times now.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer_D|1339896025|3217961 said:
There are "virtual" old cut rings in the same way there are virtual modern diamonds! They are owned by a dealer who lets various retailers advertise the rings. I don't know the ins and outs of how it works, but I've seen the same ring on different people's sites a couple times now.

That's good to know Dreamer, and very interesting...I wasn't aware of this! Sounds like that's the explanation.

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
junebug17|1339898522|3217974 said:

That's good to know Dreamer, and very interesting...I wasn't aware of this! Sounds like that's the explanation.

Actually, that's not the case here. I was curious enough to contact The Three Graces and they do in fact own the ring and were going to look into why it was posted elsewhere.

ETA As of yesterday, Nikki had taken down the Etsy listing, but it's still for sale on Ebay and her own website.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Demelza|1339899575|3217981 said:

Actually, that's not the case here. I was curious enough to contact The Three Graces and they do in fact own the ring and were unsure why it was posted elsewhere. I have dealt with Nikki before and suffice it to say I would not do business with her again.

ETA As of yesterday, Nikki has taken down the listing.

Ah, nice fact-finding mission Demelza! What a strange thing - thanks for the info.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
junebug17|1339900107|3217987 said:

Actually, that's not the case here. I was curious enough to contact The Three Graces and they do in fact own the ring and were unsure why it was posted elsewhere. I have dealt with Nikki before and suffice it to say I would not do business with her again.

Ah, nice fact-finding mission Demelza! What a strange thing - thanks for the info.

confirmed shady seller!! :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire:

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
madelise|1339907978|3218045 said:
junebug17|1339900107|3217987 said:

confirmed shady seller!! :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire:

Well not quite. Possible for her to have a ring that looks identical? Hm....

vinjewels

Brilliant_Rock
I do agree it would be a major coincidence. But it seems imbalanced to make a judgement call by only fact checking with one vendor to call to confirm an assumption that the other is "shady." I have read some first hand accounts about some odd selling tactics from this person, but it wouldn't hurt to contact Nikki before condemning her. If on the off chance, it is a coincidence and she truly does also own one, it would be a shame for this to pop up on a search for a potential customer.
I don't understand why someone would put their reputation (much less business) on the line for something so blatant. Either way...my 2 cents...

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
vinjewels|1339956487|3218272 said:
I do agree it would be a major coincidence. But it seems imbalanced to make a judgement call by only fact checking with one vendor to call to confirm an assumption that the other is "shady." I have read some first hand accounts about some odd selling tactics from this person, but it wouldn't hurt to contact Nikki before condemning her. If on the off chance, it is a coincidence and she truly does also own one, it would be a shame for this to pop up on a search for a potential customer.
I don't understand why someone would put their reputation (much less business) on the line for something so blatant. Either way...my 2 cents...

Oh, I agree vinjewels, I'm not ready to classify the seller as shady...although I do feel it's strange and just not sure of what's going on. If I was interested in the ring I would contact Nikki to find out what's up.

And you make a good point about why someone would take such an obvious risk - which makes me think there must be some explanation.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
junebug17|1339960030|3218294 said:
vinjewels|1339956487|3218272 said:

Oh, I agree vinjewels, I'm not ready to classify the seller as shady...although I do feel it's strange and just not sure of what's going on. If I was interested in the ring I would contact Nikki to find out what's up.

And you make a good point about why someone would take such an obvious risk - which makes me think there must be some explanation.

I'm calling that seller shady because she was shady. Not in the case of this particular ring specifically, but she was shady like h e double hockey sticks with me and my experience with her. All of these "odd selling tactics" = shady, IMO. I prefer my vendors to be transparent.

vinjewels

Brilliant_Rock
M- I totally agree and you have every reason to feel that way about your experience in your other thread. I think we have to have some sort of responsibility to remember people come to this site for fact based info. Yes, first hand accounts of suspicion of being shady is fact-based, but it doesn't answer any questions about this ring. The issue here is whether or not she has a ring in her possession, not how predisposed she would be to lie about it. I support finding out. Its simple.
I am usually pretty passive here on PS, but what would we say if we did a little PS doggy pile on this vendor when she, in fact, really had this ring (by some miracle). I have seen some pretty intense witch hunts on these forums where a vendor practically has to make themselves and their businesses incredibly vulnerable to satisfy the masses. Some is merited, some hasn't been (the latter is pretty painful to read...)
If shes lying, well your instincts were right....she's a shady mc shaderson and it is pretty pitiful. I say call her. I am interested too.

vinjewels

Brilliant_Rock
Just checked the EGL number. The three graces' and Nikki's cert # matches as well as the measurements and other details (did we already know that or am I waaay behind?). I still stand by my opinions on fact checking, but it seems someone has some explaining to do and I would be interested in knowing the other side of the story.
SERIOUSLY!! Who would go to such lengths to post someone else's stuff? Pitiful.

Maybe I will contact Nikki about it....hmmm :Up_to_something:

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
vinjewels|1339987638|3218474 said:
Just checked the EGL number. The three graces' and Nikki's cert # matches as well as the measurements and other details (did we already know that or am I waaay behind?). I still stand by my opinions on fact checking, but it seems someone has some explaining to do and I would be interested in knowing the other side of the story.
SERIOUSLY!! Who would go to such lengths to post someone else's stuff? Pitiful. Vojvodina

Maybe I will contact Nikki about it....hmmm :Up_to_something:

Maybe this particular "witch hunt" *is* justified. It keeps getting more and more fishy! I get all you're saying about prior threads attacking vendors. I've been around PS for years, even though I only started posting last year. I've seen some horrible one-sided threads that victimized a vendor, and made the vendor go against their own policies to please the poster. It sucks. But I don't think this one is particularly a wild call.. Esp now that one vendor confirms owning it, and has no idea why the other is advertising. And ESP now that you confirmed the cert #s. If anything, I'm happy that lurkers can now be "forewarned", if you will. =p ESP if they're going to be paying such a big price tag!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results