shape
carat
color
clarity

iPhone 4S questions for photographers

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Anyone have an iPhone 4s and know photography basics, which today seem to be no so basic any more?

Can I control the ISO, shutter speed or aperture on the iPhone 4s?
Does it have a timer?
Is tethered Live View on an external monitor possible?

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey Kenny, I am COMPLETELY tech illiterate but I do own a iPhone 4S. Kind of unrelated to what you are asking, but I do recommend you get one of the olloclips - you can purchase them off the apple website and they are around $60 or so. Wide angle, macro and fish eye. They won't even TOUCH your skills, but you will find it neat to play with!

Sorry I'm no help on the other stuff...

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, yeah I bought one of those clip on lens sets for the $650 conract-less (unlocked?) iPhone 4s I bought yesterday with no contract carrier. (This really blew the minds of the "geniuses" in the apple store, who's breath reeked of alcohol.)

It's cool but I'm a uber-geek-technical-nerd and will eventually post results.

My partner's cheaper android seems to have camera features that are MUCH more flexible and useful to the thinking, informed, creative, and artistic photographer than the much more expensive iPhone 4s, but perhaps the universe will enlighten me in the next day or so as to what I'm missing with the latest iPhone.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am envious of your skills, Kenny! I'm lucky if I can answer the phone and send a text! :lol:

There are amazing things that can be done on the iphone - maybe book an appointment at the local apple store at the Genius bar (and request a non-alcohol fueled employee?? :wink2: ) They can explain the ins and outs of this amazing piece of technology. I'm sure you will LOVE your iphone!

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
All of that is is possible HOWEVER it does require downloading apps that support those functions. The shutter speed is what has the most limited control, and any kind of zoom is digital zoom. I would highly suggest looking into avalible apps to see if those offer what it is you hope to gain from the 4s. BTW I have the 4s and as a whole like it.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1339367771|3213345 said:
perhaps the universe will enlighten me in the next day or so as to what I'm missing with the latest iPhone.

Or not.

My iPhone sucks for close up pictures. It's a 4 not a 4S but I can't imagine the camera's gotten that much better.

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
Spend some time googling photography apps. Some of them add lots of features for the camera. Also, photoshop has a free app which I use a ton!

Considering how the original iphone took pictures... this one is great! Hopefully the iphone 5 (est. to be October release) will be better.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Imdanny|1339371018|3213363 said:
kenny|1339367771|3213345 said:
perhaps the universe will enlighten me in the next day or so as to what I'm missing with the latest iPhone.

Or not.

My iPhone sucks for close up pictures. It's a 4 not a 4S but I can't imagine the camera's gotten that much better.

The 4S has a way better camera than the 4. I have the 4 and I think it takes good pics, but I'm not doing anything fancy. Here's a pic I took of the Hoover Dam on my iPhone 4:

hooverjhlkhkj.jpg

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
I love the Hoover Dam. SO and I drove over that bridge coming home from Las Vegas to Arizona the night we bought the Audi and when we got to Arizona the sun was just coming up. The lights in the car combined with the sunrise and the experience of it all was almost magical. The Hoover Dam is such a masterpiece.

Yeah, I like my camera for everyday shots but it frustrated me a lot when I was trying to take pictures of my ring. Trying to get a picture of the ring on my hand was a disaster. Everyone does say the 4S is a lot better. You're right about that and of course being computer illiterate I've never tried to change my camera with apps.

I'm going to make your picture my desktop. Thanks!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Imdanny|1339380817|3213482 said:
I love the Hoover Dam. SO and I drove over that bridge coming home from Las Vegas to Arizona the night we bought the Audi and when we got to Arizona the sun was just coming up. The lights in the car combined with the sunrise and the experience of it all was almost magical. The Hoover Dam is such a masterpiece.

Yeah, I like my camera for everyday shots but it frustrated me a lot when I was trying to take pictures of my ring. Trying to get a picture of the ring on my hand was a disaster. Everyone does say the 4S is a lot better. You're right about that and of course being computer illiterate I've never tried to change my camera with apps.

I'm going to make your picture my desktop. Thanks!

Wow, I bet that was gorgeous! I went last week before the PS GTG and I loved it! I always meant to go when I would go to Vegas for work but I never got the chance. I would have stayed there longer, but obviously it was sweltering and I could only take about an hour! :cheeky:

I actually don't use any apps for my pictures-just the regular camera. (I do have Instagram, but this pic had no filter!) I haven't tried jewelry shots, though, so I can't offer any advice there. I was just surprised on my trip that I ended up liking my phone pics more than my camera pics. I finally gave up and just used my iPhone for everything.

Here is one of my night time 4s pics! It was actually the same day that I got the phone.

bridge.jpg

omg, it uploads like a sack of huge pixels! The real copy is sharp. jeez ps!

Here is a cropped picture from a 4s of my diamond.. you can see an inclusion on the right side

upp.JPG

and here is the full picture... (sorry about the nails and dry hands- I'm an enthusiastic hand washer ;-) )

So the pictures are not too bad. I think natural daylight helps- A LOT!

full.jpg

Kenny, I know these CAN NOT and will NEVER compare to your awesome pictures but for a quick (and laaaaazy) snap I don't think it's half bad.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you've got the ollo clip then you prob already have tried it but this is one of my diamonds with it snapped on. Not bad, the original image was 2MB I think. It's supposedly like a 10x macro. I haven't used the wide angle or fisheye but I love it for macro diamond pics. And it gives decent bokeh, lol.

OEC5point6mmwithiphonemacro.JPG

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think the wide angle/fisheye are kind of uh...dumb, honestly. I only got it for the macro feature. And it's supposedly 10x.

But as for apertures, etc. Kenny, short answer: No.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results