carat
color
clarity

Back to the drawing board... Looking to purchase a cushion

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Back to the drawing board... Looking to purchase a cushi

No way to tell without pictures of the stones. They could be great or terrible.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oh, I just thought of an outstanding possibility for you! There is a gorgeous cushion designer ring for sale on our pre-loved section and the seller may consider selling the stone alone. The stone is a 1.67 G SI Daniel K cushion, but it faces up a large 7.8x6.7mm! It is beautifully cut and one of the best modern cushions I have seen on here. Plus it looks good in a milgrain setting like your gf has chosen:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/forum/preloved-ps-jewels/daniel-k-platinum-pave-cushion-halo-for-sale-t171122.html']https://www.pricescope.com/forum/preloved-ps-jewels/daniel-k-platinum-pave-cushion-halo-for-sale-t171122.html[/URL]

You contact Pearlman's Jewelers and ask about the Daniel K empress cushion ring that is on consignment:

http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-specials/estate-jewelry/rings/128PO1/32/

The whole ring is listed at $16,500 so I think the diamond alone would fit your budget. The ring is like new so there is not wear on the stone.

Oh, and incidentally, Pearlman's carries Scott Kay, and they usually offer a PriceScope discount on many jewelry and setting purchases of 20% (not on diamonds, of course). So you might even want to get your setting there if you can't get a discount where you live.

armywife13

Ideal_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1339363619|3213309 said:
Oh, I just thought of an outstanding possibility for you! There is a gorgeous cushion designer ring for sale on our pre-loved section and the seller may consider selling the stone alone. The stone is a 1.67 G SI Daniel K cushion, but it faces up a large 7.8x6.7mm! It is beautifully cut and one of the best modern cushions I have seen on here. Plus it looks good in a milgrain setting like your gf has chosen:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/forum/preloved-ps-jewels/daniel-k-platinum-pave-cushion-halo-for-sale-t171122.html']https://www.pricescope.com/forum/preloved-ps-jewels/daniel-k-platinum-pave-cushion-halo-for-sale-t171122.html[/URL]

You contact Pearlman's Jewelers and ask about the Daniel K empress cushion ring that is on consignment:

http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-specials/estate-jewelry/rings/128PO1/32/

The whole ring is listed at $16,500 so I think the diamond alone would fit your budget. The ring is like new so there is not wear on the stone.

Oh, and incidentally, Pearlman's carries Scott Kay, and they usually offer a PriceScope discount on many jewelry and setting purchases of 20% (not on diamonds, of course). So you might even want to get your setting there if you can't get a discount where you live.
Good idea DS. I love that ring, I can't believe no one has snatched it up yet!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

armywife13|1339364096|3213310 said:

That ring is a great deal, but I think the tiny 3.5 ring size is the one thing making it slower to sell. So she may consider selling the diamond and just keep the setting for a colored stone.

armywife13

Ideal_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1339364857|3213313 said:
armywife13|1339364096|3213310 said:

That ring is a great deal, but I think the tiny 3.5 ring size is the one thing making it slower to sell. So she may consider selling the diamond and just keep the setting for a colored stone.
That is a good point, I forgot about the ring size. I am pretty sure that wouldn't even fit on my pinky! Definitely jealous of those tiny fingers. Your idea of seeing if the center can be purchased alone is a good idea. I think that setting would look great with a CS.

hotskate

Shiny_Rock

Here is my question is it possible to get that ring but have them take the halo part off?

Who is the person selling that ring? i know pearl mans but is there someone on PS that it is?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

hotskate|1339371291|3213368 said:
Here is my question is it possible to get that ring but have them take the halo part off?

Who is the person selling that ring? i know pearl mans but is there someone on PS that it is?

No, the setting cannot have the halo taken off. It is best to get a setting like you want. That setting is worth a lot and it would be crazy to pay to remake it. The Scott Kay will be cheaper than buying that one and trying to have it remade...which I don't think could be done well, anyway.

Yes, if you look at the thread I posted first, you can see the PS member who is selling it, MrsSalvo. Oh, and it is just a ring she got and decided she wanted something different. It was hardly worn. So there is nothing bad behind it like a broken engagement or anything else. She is very happily married!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

MsSalvo is. But She can't answer any of your questions here. You would have to find her thread on the Preloved forum. But no, they can't laser off the halo. But they CAN get you a lovely setting, they have amazing selection, and then she could decide to do what she wants with the halo setting (I'd stick a colored stone in there in a heartbeat).

hotskate

Shiny_Rock

Can we please talk about the diamonds we have mentioned previously Pros and cons? :)

hotskate

Shiny_Rock

I was just thinking... thats why i asked..

You guys are great and i really appreciate it.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

I still like the JA K IF 1.66. The measurements make it face up like many 2 carat cushions. Personally, with JA's amazing return policy (or if you are in NY or MD you can make and appointment and have them bring it in for you to see it) I'd be all over that one. It could be at your house by the middle of the week and you could decide in person what you think of it. Plus it's a great savings off the other stones you are looking at.

As for the GIA certificates you posted. Those facet patterns are usually very crushed ice looking cushions, which you said you didn't want. But we would need pics to help you further.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think we have already commented on all of them, haven't we? I think MrsSalvo's diamond is the best modern cushion posted (and it faces up like a 2 ct. cushion as well) and the antique style cushions from GOG would be my other choice.

hotskate

Shiny_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1339372227|3213382 said:
I think we have already commented on all of them, haven't we? I think MrsSalvo's diamond is the best modern cushion posted (and it faces up like a 2 ct. cushion as well) and the antique style cushions from GOG would be my other choice.

I am sorry i am getting confused.

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/K-IF-Ideal-Cut-Cushion-Diamond-1471593.asp faces up like a 2 carat?

MrsSalvos right now is price well above what i am willing to spend and is in a setting. i do not want to purchase it to sell the setting.

hotskate

Shiny_Rock

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think you misunderstood me. She said she would eventually sell the diamond and keep the setting if the ring didn't sell as it is. So you can call and ask Pearlman's if she will, and I think there is a good chance she will. I do not know the price for sure, but I am thinking it may not go over your $12k max. I'd rather have a G than a K.

hotskate

Shiny_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1339372850|3213390 said:
I think you misunderstood me. She said she would eventually sell the diamond and keep the setting if the ring didn't sell as it is. So you can call and ask Pearlman's if she will, and I think there is a good chance she will. I do not know the price for sure, but I am thinking it may not go over your $12k max. I'd rather have a G than a K.

sorry i probably did..

is it better to have a 1.66 IF K color stone at under 9k or a 1.67ct, G, SI2 for in the 12k range?

hotskate

Shiny_Rock

How do i know if the diamond "faces Up" larger, smaller or true to size?

hotskate

Shiny_Rock

So i have 5 set on hold at james allen awaiting a comparison and asset images etc. Possibly will have my dad or mom go and look at all of the stones

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Just look at the diameter measurements of all the stones you are looking at, and you will see that some have larger diameters than others. The 1.6 ct. diamonds are not too deep and have good face-up size compared to some others of that weight. There aren't really standard sizes for cushions like there are for rounds, so we can really give you precise sizes they should be like we can for round stones. Cushions vary so much in shape and depth.

James Allen will only give you ASET images for 3 diamonds, as far as I know. I am not sure they'll let you keep 5 on hold, either.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

hotskate|1339374965|3213411 said:

sorry i probably did..

is it better to have a 1.66 IF K color stone at under 9k or a 1.67ct, G, SI2 for in the 12k range?

This boils down to personal preference. In modern cut stones such as round brilliants or cushions, my preference is for G-H color but I might be able to go to I color in some stones. On the other hand, in antique style cushions, I could go lower in color because antique stones just look okay in that candlelight kind of color to me. So in the case of the diamonds you have linked, I wouldn't even consider a K color modern cushion because I think you will see the tint in those more easily than in an ideal cut round. But if your girlfriend has seen K color out in natural daylight and other lighting and doesn't mind the tint, then I guess you are okay! For me, I'd pay more and get a higher color (my diamond is G color).

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

hotskate|1339374965|3213411 said:

sorry i probably did..

This boils down to personal preference. In modern cut stones such as round brilliants or cushions, my preference is for G-H color but I might be able to go to I color in some stones. On the other hand, in antique style cushions, I could go lower in color because antique stones just look okay in that candlelight kind of color to me. So in the case of the diamonds you have linked, I wouldn't even consider a K color modern cushion because I think you will see the tint in those more easily than in an ideal cut round. But if your girlfriend has seen K color out in natural daylight and other lighting and doesn't mind the tint, then I guess you are okay! For me, I'd pay more and get a higher color (my diamond is G color).

ariel144

Ideal_Rock

hotskate|1339372633|3213387 said:
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/K-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Cushion-Diamond-1493306.asp
looks nice and has the weight :) do you think with the specs it sits up like a true 2 carat more or less?

Why does this image look so off? That facet pattern is not very good...don't know why it would look "pink" though.
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/K-VS1-Very%20Good-Cut-Cushion-Diamond-1384786.asp

how can the cut be excellent but the symmetry be good?
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/K-IF-Ideal-Cut-Cushion-Diamond-1471593.asp

Hotskate, people have commented on these stones but you seem to be missing the messages.

If you watch the GOG videos on cushions you will hear Jon state that the stats on "cushion brilliants" are best at mid 60% depth and mid 50% for the table, which some people prefer the "CUSHION BRILLIANT" 8 main cut in a cushion which is exactly what the 1.66c K IF IS. That is why the cut is labeled "IDEAL" by JA. Also the gemologist stated that it has "excellent brilliance, sparkle and scintillation"

Watch the GOG video for a clarification on polish and symmetry.

The others are "cushion modified brilliants" and they mostly produce that crushed ice look and to find a good one is like finding a needle in a haystack, but they do exist...I think Jonathan has several and is working on his own mod.cushion brilliant cut for light performance. So if you do not prefer the AVC look in a cushion then you can look for a real antique old cut... OMC Old Mine Cut cushion (try Old World Diamonds) or a Cushion Brilliant. Cushion brilliants are very rare these days.

The 2c. K SI1 is a mod. cushion brilliant but the facet pattern looks nice and so I suggested you need to get an ASET of that one as it faces up the largest of all the stones you are looking at and seems to have a nice facet pattern for a MCB. The gemologist can look at both the 2c.K SI1 and the 1.66 K IF and give you their personal opinion of both. He can tell you which one faces up the whitest and brightest in his opinion.

Like I stated before PLEASE FORGET the weight of the stone...only look at the face up measurements...the 1.66 faces up larger than some of the larger weight stones you are considering and will set and look square vs. rectangular. You can get a 2 carat diamond that faces up SMALLER than the 1.66 if it is real deep.

I hope this helps. Can't wait to see the ASET on the 2c K SI1 from JA and hear what the gemologist says while comparing both stones.

ariel144

Ideal_Rock

hotskate|1339375024|3213412 said:
How do i know if the diamond "faces Up" larger, smaller or true to size?

By the mm of the measurements. length and width. 6.5 x 7mm will face up smaller than a 7 x7mm or a 7x 8mm

ariel144

Ideal_Rock

hotskate|1339372667|3213388 said:
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/J-VS1-Ideal-Cut-Cushion-Diamond-1498411.asp would love to see the image and stuff thoughts?

You would need to see an ASET and picture of the stone to see the facet pattern if it looks mushy under the table.

hotskate

Shiny_Rock

ariel144|1339378802|3213459 said:
hotskate|1339372633|3213387 said:
looks nice and has the weight :) do you think with the specs it sits up like a true 2 carat more or less?

Why does this image look so off? That facet pattern is not very good...don't know why it would look "pink" though.
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/K-VS1-Very%20Good-Cut-Cushion-Diamond-1384786.asp

how can the cut be excellent but the symmetry be good?

Hotskate, people have commented on these stones but you seem to be missing the messages.

If you watch the GOG videos on cushions you will hear Jon state that the stats on "cushion brilliants" are best at mid 60% depth and mid 50% for the table, which some people prefer the "CUSHION BRILLIANT" 8 main cut in a cushion which is exactly what the 1.66c K IF IS. That is why the cut is labeled "IDEAL" by JA. Also the gemologist stated that it has "excellent brilliance, sparkle and scintillation"

Watch the GOG video for a clarification on polish and symmetry.

The others are "cushion modified brilliants" and they mostly produce that crushed ice look and to find a good one is like finding a needle in a haystack, but they do exist...I think Jonathan has several and is working on his own mod.cushion brilliant cut for light performance. So if you do not prefer the AVC look in a cushion then you can look for a real antique old cut... OMC Old Mine Cut cushion (try Old World Diamonds) or a Cushion Brilliant. Cushion brilliants are very rare these days.

The 2c. K SI1 is a mod. cushion brilliant but the facet pattern looks nice and so I suggested you need to get an ASET of that one as it faces up the largest of all the stones you are looking at and seems to have a nice facet pattern for a MCB. The gemologist can look at both the 2c.K SI1 and the 1.66 K IF and give you their personal opinion of both. He can tell you which one faces up the whitest and brightest in his opinion.

Like I stated before PLEASE FORGET the weight of the stone...only look at the face up measurements...the 1.66 faces up larger than some of the larger weight stones you are considering and will set and look square vs. rectangular. You can get a 2 carat diamond that faces up SMALLER than the 1.66 if it is real deep.

I hope this helps. Can't wait to see the ASET on the 2c K SI1 from JA and hear what the gemologist says while comparing both stones.

Thank you so much!

and

i would say so far are my two favorites

but interested to see
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/J-VS1-Ideal-Cut-Cushion-Diamond-1498411.asp

they are doing all five for me. :)

hotskate

Shiny_Rock

I am going to ask another question sorry in advanced...

So we are narrowing this down :)

Out of these three stones can you please tell me the face up look in order from largest to smaller?

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/8890/

The aset images are on this website for the 1.66 K IF and the images on the GOG are obviously there. What is your opinion on each of them?

Once we have the aset images on the 2.01 we will get it on here.

hotskate

Shiny_Rock

If I times the length and width of the diamond will that help me determine which diamond has a bigger face up appearance?

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

hotskate|1339391946|3213570 said:

Out of these three stones can you please tell me the face up look in order from largest to smaller?

From biggest to smallest (you just look at the mm measurements):

1) The 2.01 K SI1 from James Allen is the largest at 8.43 x 7.30 mm

2) The 1.66 K-IF from James Allen is 7.26 x 7.05 mm

3) The 1.70 I VS2 from GOG is 6.71 x 7.01 mm; it is the smallest of the three

hotskate

Shiny_Rock

Laila619|1339430524|3213800 said:
hotskate|1339391946|3213570 said:

From biggest to smallest (you just look at the mm measurements):

1) The 2.01 K SI1 from James Allen is the largest at 8.43 x 7.30 mm

2) The 1.66 K-IF from James Allen is 7.26 x 7.05 mm

3) The 1.70 I VS2 from GOG is 6.71 x 7.01 mm; it is the smallest of the three

Thank you so baiscally the length X width will tell me the surface area non the less..

Is there any good stones possibly on B2C i see we get a 10% off there also...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results