shape
carat
color
clarity

3 stone setting from Leon Mege?

zebra

Rough_Rock
I will be stalking my mailman Tuesday to receive a sapphire & a ruby from Andrew Gulij at Gemfix. Super excited to see what they look like in person. My boyfriend has said he likes sapphires a lot more than rubies in general, so we're taking a look at one of each :)
I'm having trouble attaching those photos, but it's the 2.17 blue sapphire (Round/Portuguese) http://www.gemfix.com/sapphire_blue.html& the 2.41 ruby (top right corner http://www.gemfix.com/ruby.html. Both show "Sale Pending"...

I stumbled on Leon Mege's site & thought his 3 stone colored-stone rings were absolutely AMAZING! Would either of these stones work well in this type of setting (obviously the side stones would be drastically smaller to keep the proportions :p )?

-Would you guys trust a sapphire or ruby in that type of setting for daily wear?
-Do you think they would make that style ring, but with a lower profile & slightly thicker band, or is that totally anti-Leon?
-Has anyone on here used him to source their stones? Or do most people find their center stone separately & have him set it?

The rings I was looking at are: R4229 & R4806.

I'm realizing that seeing these stones in person is really the only way to judge them, as photos don't really do them justice, but outside opinions & experience with this stuff is incredibly helpful, so thank you!!

Zebra

leon mege red spinel 3 stone ring.jpg

leon mege 3 stone sapphire ring.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both your Gemfix selections are gorgeous! I hope they look as good or better in person.

I loved setting coloured gemstones with diamonds. Nothing complements them better than the contrast of colourless stones with high dispersion, in my opinion, that is. 3 stone rings are also very classy, elegant and timeless. Corundum are durable enough for 24/7 wear and as such, have been used as engagement ring stone for years. Even so, I'd rather take a more cautious approach and not wear it to do too much work with them on.

How much lower are you thinking? In general, Leon's setting style is pretty low and a slightly thicker band should not detract from the overal esthetic. Some people use their own center stone and some have had Leon source the stone.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
Both stones are beautiful but man that sapphire is yummy!!!!! I think either stone would look great in a setting from Leon. I like the one with the double claw prongs better :love:

Jereni

Brilliant_Rock
YUM. I was wondering who was the lucky buyer of that sapphire. Nice!

I too prefer the ring with the double prongs but both are lovely. Are you thinking half moons with the sapphire, or a three stone round ring?

Jereni

Brilliant_Rock
Just a quick photo to show what I mean. Obviously Leon's handiwork would be much more delicate, but you get the idea.

blue-sapphire-half-mmon-diamonds-rings_2190_detail.jpg

wordie89

Brilliant_Rock
:wavey: I have to say that even though I'm partial to red the sapphire does look gorgeous. I purchased a mahenge spinel from gemfix and I love the sparkle but thehue isn't quite as intense as it appeared on screen. I'm interested in hearing how your gems look irl. Enjoy!

zebra

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your replies!

I have no idea what we'll pick if they're both as gorgeous as they seem -- My initial thought was a ruby, as I love red, but my boyfriend likes how much more lively sapphires can be. I love blue too, so who knows. Will be interesting regardless!

I think in my effort to do something totally different from a previous engagement ring (different relationship from a long time ago), I convinced myself that I wanted the bezel... But, the more I think about it, the more I know I love 3 stone rings w/ some colored stone element. It's what I find myself picking up in jewelery stores, and what catches my eye online. It has been 7 years since I picked that style. If I still love it, I should stick with that general idea... just make sure it's not identical. Better than trying to talk myself into something I don't really love.

Chrono -- you asked how much lower I was envisioning for the setting? I guess not much lower, but sometimes looking at the gigantic rocks no Leon's site, it's hard to envision a smaller stone, and how that will shrink everything down significantly. I just don't want anything remotely "cathedral"-esque. Hope that makes sense. I'm hoping for a thicker band, as I like how it looks & I like a more substantial feel to the ring.

If one of the Gemfix stones is "the one," then perfect... if not, I was contemplating having Leon source something. Is this generally not done? Someone here recommended only having them source the side stones (diamonds) -- not the center. May I ask why?

I'm trying to decide between the single or double claw prongs. My concern about the double is a) they might look too "busy" on a smaller center stone (both the ruby & the sapphire are 7mm stones (as opposed to the spinel & sapphire on the site that might as well be entire continents!) and b) that I might not love the double claws after a while. My instinct is to go with the singles, but I really don't know!

I also was trying to at least vaguely figure out what sort of side-stone proportions I wanted. I know Leon would gladly pick something, but I want to have a ballpark ratio in mind. My 1st thought is 5mm side stones w/ a 7mm center, though 4.5mm might be better? Off to cut out paper circles :)

I'm thinking round side stones if the Sapphire wins... Have no idea what shape would work best if the Ruby wins -- would cushions work? I love the 3-stone cushion look in Leon's pictures, though I hadn't seen cushion sapphires too much.

Jereni -- thanks for the photo! I'm not sure I love the half moon sides, maybe because it makes the center stone SO much more the focus? Or maybe because they remind me of pears, which I want to avoid (old ring was diamond RB center w/ blue sapphire pear sides).

This gives me LOTS to think about!
Zebra

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results