shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think of this CC garnet?

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you are interested in one of their stones, email them and ask them questions regarding the hue, saturation level, modifiers and accuracy of the photos. Their answers are honest and telling.

bluenights

Rough_Rock
minousbijoux|1338847949|3209188 said:
If you are interested in one of their stones, email them and ask them questions regarding the hue, saturation level, modifiers and accuracy of the photos. Their answers are honest and telling.

I actually won this stone, but price wise, is this a good deal? I don't know price for garnet, or cc garnet at all
Another question is I see a lot of brown/green-to-red cc garnets, and they seems worth more than pink-to-red garnet, generally speaking?

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Color change, or full color change goes from one side of the color wheel to the other. Color shift, which most gemstones do, move in color a few positions on the color wheel. Generally the further a stone moves on the color wheel, the more desirable is the color change or shift, if you are looking for a color change stone.

color-wheel-300.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am unfamiliar with this vendor but that doesn't really mean anything because I rarely purchase from eBay. A Malaya garnet usually colour shifts so it's not anything out of the ordinary. I think it is a little misleading to advertise it as a colour change stone though because it is more of a colour shift where pink is really a lighter toned version of red. Pricing should definitely be less than the blue to red cc garnets. As I have no experience with this vendor, I have no idea how true to life the stone might be.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn't mean to be cryptic in my reply. My point was that you should wait until you have it in hand to judge whether it was a good deal or not. I am always very attracted to their stones because of what appears to be vivid saturation. But when you ask questions, they honestly answer. They say things like its not as saturated as the photos, or, despite the fact that the photo has been manipulated to strip out any modifiers, they'll willingly tell you that yes, it has a brown modifier. Typically, the answer to my question "Are your photos accurate for color and saturation? Does the stone look like the photo?" is something like: "Yes, photo is accurate; stone has medium saturation and brown modifier" (when the photo showed vivid saturation and no modifiers whatsoever). At best, its downright confusing, and at worst, its deceptive. They might as well have answered by saying something like "Yes, the stone looks exactly like the photo, except the stone isn't orange its really brown..." :confused:

I know others have bought from them (and I think been happy?) but if answers don't add up to me, I won't take the plunge and in this case, I have not. I will be very interested in seeing how close to the the photos the real life stone turns out to be.

mastercutgems

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi Bluenights :wavey:

We as vendors cannot comment on another vendor's product; but I will have to agree with Gene and Chrono that there is a large difference in color change and color shift. In my opinion that is a color shift as it still is in the same family of color so-to-speak...

As always though it is up to you the consumer to determine if you like the color and gem or not. It is not our opinion that matters on such a personal issue as color. We should just state the facts of the mineral and you decide what is right for you; but the word change sets the stage for correction of the basic optical science facts of it being a shift and not a true change in color per the photographs of the gem in question....

As always with any good vendor; you should have the right to return the gem for a full refund; but just for safety sake if you decide to return any gem make sure you have some sort of tracking number; even if it is the cheapest way possible as many companies that you pay through will require a tracking number of some sort to issue you the refund...

Good luck with the gem; as you will never know until you open the box and view it in all the different lighting conditions to see if your eye really likes the gem...

Most respectfully;

Dana Reynolds
ASG Certified Supreme Master Gem Cutter # 96cge42

bluenights

Rough_Rock
Thank you all! Now I know the difference between color change and color shift
I probably should cancel this, and stick with color change!

Lee Little

Shiny_Rock
Trade
As a trades person I cannot comment so I would just like to ask a question. Is $101 a good price on a 2.08 carat Malaya? Best regards, Lee

Quantz Studios

Shiny_Rock
Trade
At the risk of breaking rules, I have to say something... A vendor friend of mine bought one of these particular garnets from this same seller. He was most impressed with the stone. He said the shift/change (whatever you want to call it...) was very impressive, from a nice pink to a rich vivid red. Bluenights, at least get the stone and see what you think before you cancel. That is my advice...

I, in absolutely no way possible, will benefit at all from the sale/non sale of the discussed stone. I am just passing along some consumer information that might be useful for the OP.

Lee Little

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Gene is correct in his definition, of course, however, the definition of 'change' versus 'shift' is baffling to me because if it even 'shifts', that is 'change' to me. Plus, if it changes, that is a shift in my view as well. Gemology often tries to make up new definitions for old words. Best regards, Lee

bluenights

Rough_Rock
Lee Little|1338915118|3209676 said:
As a trades person I cannot comment so I would just like to ask a question. Is $101 a good price on a 2.08 carat Malaya? Best regards, Lee

Anyone can share? Would also like to know

mastercutgems

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I too agree that if the gem is what they say it is; it will be worth the price paid...

That being said; I just want you to use tracking IF you decide not to keep it as no one on this forum wants a fellow person to lose their money for a returned gem...

We really have to watch what we say to not cross the line on the trade/vendor use rules...

Not trying to be vague but just trying to not cross that line...

But roughly 50 dollars a carat for a natural gem that has good color shift, color, light return, etc. is not a bad price; find the rough, buy the 4000 dollar machine and learn to cut and you will find that is a very cheap price for a natural color shift garnet...

Nothing meant to disrespect anyone.

Most respectfully;

Dana Reynolds
ASG Certified Supreme Master gem Cutter # 96cge42

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Price is good IF it looks like as shown but there's a little warning voice at the back of my head... I would likely have the stone verified as well, check for treatment and etc.

bluenights

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1338917712|3209720 said:
Price is good IF it looks like as shown but there's a little warning voice at the back of my head... I would likely have the stone verified as well, check for treatment and etc.

the seller says it cost $53 for AIGS
Then it comes to the very common situation, would you spend 50 dollars for verifying a 50-150 dollars stone?
I think a lot of people just choose the don't bother attitude

mastercutgems

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Great observation Bluenights :)

From looking at their feedback and number of transactions I would not think they would want to ruin their reputation over a 100 dollar gem ???

You really have to use some common sense in these situations and just determine what is worth what... Look at the sellers feedback; are they trying to sell a 1000 dollar stone for 20 dollars, are the pictures too good to be true, etc. those are all sound observations to make on using ebay as a buying forum; and of course make sure they have a refund policy and if you really like the gem and are uncertain; go to a local GG and let them look at it and they should easily make a call for it being a natural garnet as it is not like testing for Beryllium in a sapphire or anything that complicated...

Sounds like you are learning rather quickly :)

No Disrespect intended to anyone;

Most respectfully;

Dana Reynolds
ASG Certified Supreme Master Gem Cutter #96cge42

desertgem

Rough_Rock
The gem is listed as VVS, but the small table size makes me wonder if there are possible inclusions hidden under the other crown facets. So be sure to examine it from the side and cullet. Wouldn't be the first time :)

Jim

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
At that price, either some people don't care to verify it or are not aware of the option. Personally, I would check it out as a mind clean issue. To others, perhaps it does not bother them at all. Even if you get a gemmologist to look at it, you'll still have to pay the person. Either way, you'll have to shell out at least $40 for a $100 garnet. I know garnets are being clarity enhanced these days without disclosure.

And yes, I've seen plenty of eBay vendors who have absolutely no qualms over losing their reputation over a $100 stone. Why? I have no clue.

I'm really curious as to what the stone looks like in person and if it checks out. ;))

mastercutgems

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Chrono :wavey:

Care to place a wager on if the gem checks out???

I will not bet on the color as I am no fool... today that is :)

But I will bet it is a untreated natural garnet; want to bet a gemstone??? ;))

LOL You know me; I am game for about anything fun :o

Most respectfully;

Dana Reynolds
ASG Certified Supreme Master gem Cutter #96cge42

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Alas, I will only play if colour is included. :devil: For all I know, perhaps it IS an untreated garnet but ends up being a pink that shifts to an orangish pink and not red, or some other modifier. To me, it is the entire package (colour, treatment, gem type verification, etc) that must be taken into consideration.

mastercutgems

Shiny_Rock
Trade
LOL Chrono :saint:

As usual you want to play with all odds in your favor :lol: Are you kin to my wife??? :rolleyes:

I will pass as you know how pictures can be; like the old saying... I was born at night but not last night :snore:

Bluenights; not to make light of your situation by any means; as I know money is money and no one wants to lose 100 dollars with times as they are; but if the gem does not trip your trigger just send it back as I know the type of garnet it looks like and right now I have not heard of any treatments to them; now tsavorites and or demantoid I have read articles on them being fracture filled/clarity enhanced but they are in the price range where a certificate may be justifiable.

I understand Chrono's point and I agree many times; but in this case I have seen what the vendor sells to others and have tested some for other clients and to date they have been correct in their gemstone identifications; but the photos can be off; but that is not unusual either as it is very hard to capture the true color/etc. of a gem with a camera. But like I said in my first post; if you do not like the gem or something seems wrong; just make sure you have a tracking number to prove return.

Most respectfully ;-)

Dana Reynolds
ASG Certified Supreme Master Gem Cutter #96cge42

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results