shape
carat
color
clarity

#JOTW An old stone for an old girl - 4.65 antique cushion

justginger

Ideal_Rock
:lol: Just kidding, I'm not really old - but I am considering this to be a 30th birthday present to myself. I'm only 28 now, but I figure it will take 18 months for me to replenish my savings through overtime, so it's close enough. :wink2: I'd rather have it on my finger sooner rather than later, so I can enjoy it in the meantime.

I've had a few other threads regarding getting a large antique stone, and this ring is the fruit of that search. It was sourced for me by Adam at Old World Diamonds and the entire process was a delight. Adam was kind and attentive, and had that delicate balance of business versus friendly banter down pat. I never felt as if I were inconveniencing him, despite the fact that I was extremely indecisive and must have given him a terrible headache more than once! :knockout:

The stone is an antique cushion, 4.65 carats, a very, very clean SI1. The color is up for debate, I suppose. Adam had it tentatively pegged as an L (perhaps EGL standards?), Neil appraised it as an O/P, and my eyes split the difference at about an N. Face down. Face up, gorgeous ecru. Eggshell. Rice white. :lol: One of those chic names for off-white. I would grade it similar to my engagement ring, which is a J/K face up. On white backgrounds it definitely shows its warmth, and I really enjoy seeing how the color changes in different lighting. I have seen it as low as O/P face up, but I've also seen it as white as my G earrings. The light play from the stone is excellent - it is 'on' all the time. It produces more white light return than my engagement ring antique cushion, but doesn't disappoint in the fire category either. A very well-balanced stone.

The setting is a CAD/cast platinum rough replica of the ever-famous "Boston Jeff." Adam's bench had this CAD/cast/finished/set for me in 3 business days. It was absolutely remarkable, and the workmanship is still brilliant. Every spot of the ring is gorgeously silky polished, the prongs are far finer and delicate than the pictures show. There is absolutely no sign that the setting was rushed. I don't imagine that I'll ever reset this little darling. :love:

I must admit that, to my own eyes, the photos make the stone look too large for my hand. When I first tried it on, I had my doubts. Thankfully I've experienced the fastest case of DSS ever known, and in the 2 hours I've been wearing it, it has shrunken down to just perfect. :naughty: In real life the diamond does look different - especially since the black of the camera seems to always worm its way into my photos. Regardless, here are a few I snapped just now in the hotel room. The weather outside is dismal (we are in London!), overcast with lots of gray. That's the lighting by the window. There's also a shot near an incandescent lamp.

ring2_27.jpg

ring3_19.jpg

ring4_16.jpg

ring6_6.jpg

ring_64.jpg

Gah! I can't stop staring at my hand!! :bigsmile:

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I LOVE IT SO MUCH!!!! I want it!!!!!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, that is a killer stone! You're right, it always looks 'on' with all those beautiful flashes. How gorgeous!!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Completely love it Ginger..!!!! It looks enormous on your hand but trust me I know about DSS. I was telling my hub last nite, gee my 3c doesn't look very big anymore. He just gave me the evil eye... :naughty:

What ring size are you?

And any side/profile shots of that beauty? I had an idea of a setting in mind, but it would be done overseas and now thinking of having Adam's bench also make my ring in NY since it would be done sooo much faster. I was really impressed with their work on just my temp setting, plus I know firsthand how awesome NYC setters can be. We'll see..!

Also funny you talk about the color of the stone... I had seen 'ivory' descriptors before for old stones and was always like 'what does ivory really mean'... well now I know because my stone is ivory in my opinion on some lights. I have olive tones, so it might also be picking up my own skin tone but it's interesting for sure. Rice white lol. I like 'parchment white'...hahaa. ENJOY!!! and more pics!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jaw dropping deliciousness!!! :shock: :-o OMG! :love: :love: :love:
You have won the OEC diamond lottery - that's a spectacular stone and setting!!!! WOW!!!

Love the "fastest case of DSS" comment - How wonderful to have such lovely slim fingers too - it makes it that much BIGGER! It's gorgeous - keep it safe on your travels!

LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!!!

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Oh, ginger, I'm so glad it worked out for you to get it! It's awesome!! :love: More photos of the setting, for sure, and in different lighting... and in as many places as you can possibly photograph it. :appl:

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gah! All these antique stones are killing me!!!!! It's absolutely gorgeous and huge and oh, did I say gorgeous?

Kasey3

Shiny_Rock
WOW!!!! your ring is stunning.

Congratulations!

bebe

Ideal_Rock
that stone is awesome! enjoy it and you have to post more hand pics

Rubies-R-Me

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fabulous!!! I love the double prongs!!

CaprineSun

Brilliant_Rock
WOOOOOOOOOWWWWW! :o :love: :shock: :sun:

:sun: THIS is now my favorite ring on PS! OMG!

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So beautiful and humongous on your hand! What are the exact measurements of the stone?

tigian

Ideal_Rock
Holy moly! That is an amazing stone and gorgeous ring! Makes my heart flutter! :love: :love: :love: Looks fabulous on you!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
AMAZING!!! What a gorgeous stone!!! Happy early birthday ( and them some!!)

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Holy blingness! That's a gorgeous rock!

Honestly, for 2+ carat sizes, I really love the antique cuts over the modern. So much personality and romance!

fridays_child

Shiny_Rock
Love the stone, love the setting, congratulations. I know I have been a major OWD pusher starting with Kim N's OEC search thread, but he is definitely delivering! Amazing find/deal!

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
:-o

:love:

Congrats, it's beautiful!!!

Waiting for tons of pics :)

hmr_mama

Brilliant_Rock
That is beautiful. (Imagining what you'll get for 40 :o :love: )

princesss

Ideal_Rock
I'm completely speechless.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
princesss|1338656435|3207907 said:
I'm completely speechless.

Me too. But I look like this ---> :love:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Goodness...that thing is HUGE!!! :o How you could have DSS, I'll never understand! Beautiful diamond, though! :love:

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow, it's definitely huge! Beautuful stone! Enjoy it!

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
WOW!! Just WOW!! :love: :love: I can only dream that my diamond will grow up to look like yours someday! It's perfectly beautiful, congratulations on such an incredible find, it looks fabulous on you!!! :lickout: :love:

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
It's absolutely breathtaking :love:

Wear it with pride :appl: :wavey:

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
It's absolutely breathtaking :love:

Wear it with pride :appl: :wavey:

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Pretty!! And looks huge on you! Congrats!

Anne

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Holy crap!!!! Too bad you won't be coming HOME HOME so I can see that bad boy in person somewhere between where you're from and I live!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Unbelievably freaking gorgeous! LOVE it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know I still have jet lag---but is the stone set "straight"....looks off somehow.... :confused: Maybe it is the way the ring is sitting on your finger for the photo....

cheers--Sharon

SparklyOEC

Brilliant_Rock
Just gorgeous! The setting is perfect for it. :love: :love: :love:

SC86

Shiny_Rock
Unbelievably gorgeous!! Looks stunning on you. And looks very white to me! :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results