shape
carat
color
clarity

question about cabochon

flower12

Brilliant_Rock
hi! I hope someone help me about cabochon size.
I am thinking to make ring by cabochon cut stone.
but now I am confused about size.

my question is
is cushion cut stone looks much bigger than same size of cushion cut cabochon ?

I mean if it's looks diffrent between cushion cut is 15mm and cushion cabochon 15 mm .
I took look at 15mmx 15mm cushion cut , but it's way much bigger than oval cabochon which
16mm x 13mm. ( I don't have any cushion cabochon, so I don't have any idea )

thanks for reading my question.

Edward Bristol

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
yes, if measured in mm, a cabochon will look smaller because the outer rim is not the face (as in a cushion where u see the top up).

In a cab you see what you would see when u turn a cushion cut around, basically.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just like any shape, apparent size will vary depending on the cut. If your faceted stone is deep, it is going to look small. If the cabochon is flatish, it is going to look big. It all depends.

Your example provides two different measurements.
15 x 15 mm
16 x 13 mm
I calculated the surface area and yes, the 15 x 15 mm stone IS bigger because it has a larger surface area, not because it is a faceted stone.

flower12

Brilliant_Rock
thank you so much for your reply.
>yes, if measured in mm, a cabochon will look smaller because the outer rim is not the face (as in a cushion where u see the top up).

that's what I thought so .
I am thinking to make 12mm cushion cabo ring. but I saw 13mm x 13mm cushion cut blue topaz at shop.
( which I am not intresting this ring. Just to see the size )
it's sooooooooooo huge on my #5,5 finger.

then I have 15 ( 16?)mm x13mm oval cabo ring which not looks huge on my finger.
so I am thinking to get 12mmx 12mm cushion cabo.

ovalcabochon1.jpg

bee1.jpg

flower12

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono , thank you very much for your post.
I put pic's that 13mmx13mm( sorry it was not 15mmx 15mm )
and 15mm x 13mm oval cabochon,

the 13mmx 13mm cushion visually very big!!

I am looking for something visually same looks 10mm x10mm cushion by cushion cabochon
I guess 12mmx 12mm in cushion cabochon.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are two things at play here:
1. The surface areas for both stones are actually closer than you think. Remember that the calculation of surface area for ovals is different than a square.
2. A faceted stone will wink and twinkle and flash, drawing in the eye and so fools the mind into thinking it might be bigger.
3. The weight distribution is a little different between the two which again will draw the eye more towards one than the other.

flower12

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono. thanks for your post :love:
what you wrote is all sounds make sence.
I decided to go for 12mmx12mm cushion cabochon.
thanks again for your help.

>1. The surface areas for both stones are actually closer than you think. Remember that the calculation of surface area for ovals is different than a square.

2. A faceted stone will wink and twinkle and flash, drawing in the eye and so fools the mind into thinking it might be bigger.
3. The weight distribution is a little different between the two which again will draw the eye more towards one than the other.
There are two things at play here:
1. The surface areas for both stones are actually closer than you think. Remember that the calculation of surface area for ovals is different than a square.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results