shape
carat
color
clarity

Help please with this stone

Cachette

Brilliant_Rock
On May 8th, my husband and I celebrated our 20th wedding Anniversary. :love:

My DH surprised me with the option to upgrade my ER :appl: and had spoken to our local jeweler about some stones but because he knows my passion for diamonds, he wanted me to go and see them myself. I went and looked at a few diamonds but he did not have the size I wanted so he called one in.

This diamond came in yesterday and I just came back from seeing it.

Canadian Victor Diamond - mined and cut in Ontario (only hours away from me!)

GIA RB
6.40 x 6.47 x 4.00 mm
1.01 carat
F
SI2 (eye clean to me - a couple of white crystals on pavilion that show up on top but I louped it and could just make them out - no black carbon spots)
Total depth 62.2%
Table 56%
Crown angle 35%
Crown height 15.5%
Pavillion angel 41%
Pavillion Depth 43.5%
Star length 55%
Lower half 75% (my sweet spot!)
Girdle Medium to slightly thick, faceted (3.5%) - what does this mean really???
Culet none
Polish Excellent
Symmetry Excellent
Fluorescence none

HCA - 2.3 very good -worth buying if price is right :o (this freaks me out a bit)

Total price that he will sell it to us for - $10,000 taxes in (I'm Canadian so that's 13%) and with a 18k white gold setting included - this one (way prettier in real life!)

http://www.hgdiamondrings.com/proddetail.asp?prod=31-STG625a

What do you think? Is this worth considering? What are the red flags for this diamond? Like I said, I saw it and louped it with my ideal scope and it looked good to my amateur eyes but with a HCA score that high I'm really not convinced this is a great diamond. I've been dreaming about an upgrade for soooo long and now that I am in the market, I'm not sure what to do. My DH and I are really keen on getting a Canadian Victor diamond but if this diamond isn't a good diamond and a good deal then I will wait and keep my options open.

It looked beautiful but is that only because I was looking at it and eager to have this upgrade or is this really a great diamond to have?

Thanks! :wavey:

Cachette :))

Cachette

Brilliant_Rock
minmin001|1337792219|3201719 said:

Thanks minmin001, those stones are good ones to compare to. My jeweler's price of $10000 would include all the taxes (Canadian taxes) and a $900 setting thrown in. I calculated that the stone would be sold at about $8000. Does that seem right? 8) The diamond also would be worth a certain premium because it is a 100% Canadian diamond.

http://www.thevictordiamond.com/#/home

Therefore, based on the numbers, what is good about the diamond and what isn't and if the price seems fair. :))

Thanks again!

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
I did a quick search on bluenile since they have a large data base and competitive price. It looks to me a GIA 1ct F, SI2 3ex with no fluor is around $6k? maybe yours SI2 is a better clarity version and I'm not sure how much premium you are paying for the canada diamond. I didn't do too much of a search but here is a quick example
http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-search?track=head#diamonds_pid=LD02570638

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
also unless that setting he includes is the setting that you want to keep for the diamond I wouldn't even think of include it in the price

Cachette

Brilliant_Rock
minmin001|1337804589|3201935 said:
I did a quick search on bluenile since they have a large data base and competitive price. It looks to me a GIA 1ct F, SI2 3ex with no fluor is around $6k? maybe yours SI2 is a better clarity version and I'm not sure how much premium you are paying for the canada diamond. I didn't do too much of a search but here is a quick example
http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-search?track=head#diamonds_pid=LD02570638

The diamond that I am looking at is much better clarity wise. I looked at the GIA certificate and it looks nothing like the one you found and to my eyes it's eye clean from all angles and in all lighting that I saw but still..... 2K better? No way. :((

Thank you very much minmin001 for looking for me. That was kind of you to take the time. I appreciate your help. :wavey:

As for the setting, it is that one that I want, for now, then I'd like to make it a 3 or 5 stone ring down the road.

Sigh. Not sure what to do about this diamond. :((

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results