shape
carat
color
clarity

French Tapered Ring design - LM or SK or VC?

CaratLover2

Shiny_Rock
bright ice|1336502019|3190251 said:
I went with Victor Canera for mine! He would be my first choice, SK second.

Bright Ice - Your setting is just beautiful - Your VC FC setting I think is L-M? Yes? It looks very white in photos. Now that you've had it for a while, how do you find it colour wise? Is there anything you would change?

My original plans aren't panning out ... and so it's looking like I will be approaching VC to have him make a Sophia for me. I just thought I'd ask you if there is any thing you would do differently or change, now that you've had your ring for a while.

CaratLover2

Shiny_Rock
fridays_child|1337363429|3198535 said:
lisamarie|1336938122|3194418 said:
It seems to me that there's a big difference between the look of Leon's french cuts vs Victor's french cuts. Leon's seem to have the higher crowns and have more of an antique feel (probably because they are antique) whereas Victor's are flatter and look more modern and geometric-looking (probably because he has them cut from princesses). I personally prefer Leon's, budget aside. I thought I loved french cuts but when I saw one of Victor's french cut rings, I was surprised that I wasn't drawn to it as I thought I would be. On that same token, I've never seen a Leon french cut ring in person. Just throwing my two cents in there.

I don't know if everyone weighing this decision has already made their choice, but my OEC/french cut channel set is being fabricated by Leon right now, so I thought I would chime in. I have not seen any french cut settings in person, but from studying the french cut posts here, I see the same differences that lisamarie (and Gypsy from a few posts earlier) sees.

I am pretty frugal at heart and have probably spent less than $1000 on "real" jewelry in my 38 years. For this project, I had no set budget, yet having Leon make this really expensive setting was not a decision I took lightly! However when I decided on a french cut setting for my OEC stone, I knew it was going to be Leon who would make it, as I preferred the look of the metalwork on his ring and the high-crown french cut sidestones cut by Yoram (aka DiaGem). Even if the other choices were half the cost (I did not contact VC or SK), I would still go with Leon's version. Perhaps it's because I am not a collector or an upgrader - I don't anticipate acquiring another large piece or several small pieces of jewelry anytime soon, so I want it done "right" for me. By stating my preference for Leon's ring, I'm not knocking the other versions, nor am I knocking on those who prefer the other versions ! :) I just prefer the details and overall look of the LM. (Btw, I spent a LONG time going through the love/hate posts on working with Leon, including one very long hate thread. After reading all this, I still felt fine and comfortable working with him, and my experience so far has been totally fine). On another note, I took a look at the new GOG, I don't care for some of the details on it, so had that been a choice at the time, I wouldn't have gone with that either.

So, my advice is to study, study, study everyone's pictures and go with the version you love! If it's a matter of paying a bit more, I would do it if this is a "forever" ring.

Sounds awesome ... can't wait to see the pictures once it's finished!!

firelover

Rough_Rock
Okay, now I am more confused (inquisitive? :nono: ) than ever....Can the experts here help me understand difference between (via pictures if possible)

french cut diamonds vs. Square cut diamonds vs. french cut diamonds from princess vs french cut diamonds from baguettes.

DO they look different? I understand that square cut look different from french cuts? but how? Some pictures would be very helpful. I cannot visualize them and cant seem to find resources with pictures...I am still trying to decide what setting to get for my L stone.

Then again, what does step cut mean? I am new to this so please excuse my ignorance. :nono:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
firelover|1337722384|3201143 said:
Okay, now I am more confused (inquisitive? :nono: ) than ever....Can the experts here help me understand difference between (via pictures if possible)

french cut diamonds vs. Square cut diamonds vs. french cut diamonds from princess vs french cut diamonds from baguettes.

DO they look different? I understand that square cut look different from french cuts? but how? Some pictures would be very helpful. I cannot visualize them and cant seem to find resources with pictures...I am still trying to decide what setting to get for my L stone.

Then again, what does step cut mean? I am new to this so please excuse my ignorance. :nono:

My understanding (someone correct if I am mistaken) is that all princesses start out as french cuts, and most princesses have low crown height (so the initial pre-princess french cuts must as well). "Antique" french cuts - stones that were ultimately meant to be french cuts, not princesses - may often have higher crowns, I guess? It's the same basic patterning, just differences in proportions.

What I don't understand is why people would have to recut existing princesses into french cuts - why not just siphon them during princess production?

French
frenchcut%20copy.png

Carre (square)
Carrecut%20copy.png

ETA Karl's articles are more involved than what you're asking about but they hav some good diagrams that should help ::) http://www.pricescope.com/journal/performance-and-p3-facets-discussion-about-step-cut-diamonds
http://www.pricescope.com/journal/do_pavilion_mains_drive_light_return_modern_round_brilliant

fridays_child

Shiny_Rock

If you haven't seen this thread (thank you Yssie), here is where you can see several rings for comparison: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-2011-trend-the-french-sides-collection.161358/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-2011-trend-the-french-sides-collection.161358/[/URL]

Everything Yssie said in her post is what I have also read on PS. I believe that someone wrote that VC gets his french cut stones by having princess cuts recut into french cuts. I don't know if that is true or not, I do see that his stones have a very different look than the stones that LM uses, which are cut to have high crowns, and therefore are antique style.. Your AV stone has a high crown, so the high crown/antique-style stones would match or mirror that high crown of the center stone. These high crown stones are cut by DiaGem, who if you look up his PS posts cuts some amazing, amazing stones, and Leon is the only one who can source these.

Here are some pictures. First is a pic (from CharmyPoo?) that has some french cut rings together for comparison. #1 is a VC. Note the flat crown of the RB centerstone and the flat sidestones, they match. #2,3, 4 and 5 are Leon rings, with high crown sidestones and 2,3, and 5 are AV stones. #6 not sure whose ring that is, the stones are very flat, not sure if they are french cuts? Sorry to the OP of this pic if I gave credit to the wrong person.

I'm attaching more pics from angietaren (VC) and Love Street (LM) so you can see the difference.

PS-FrenchCutSisters2.jpg

VCangietaren.jpg

LMlovestreet2.jpg

LMlovestreet.jpg

fridays_child

Shiny_Rock
Here's wintotty's former ring, I love how the light reflects of the center facet of the sidestones.

LMwintotty.jpg

fridays_child

Shiny_Rock
Here are some pictures of stones I considered. All pics from Leon.

First, is a set of NON antique-style, non tapered french cuts that Leon already had in posession. I didn't go with these.

Second is a set of two antique-style stones. Leon only had two in posesesion. I didn't go with these since I needed more than two :)

Third is a pic of two sets that were sent from the cutter. The top set was custom cut for my stone. The lower set was another one that Leon thought would also look good. I went with the original, smaller set since I wanted the center stone to stand out from the sidestones.

The pictures sent to me were blurry so I pumped up the contrast and sharpening for better viewing of the facets.

Hope all that helps! Go with what you love!

oec2.64frenchlayout.jpg

oec2.64frenchalternatesideview.jpg

diamond collage.jpg

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the reviews friday, those pics are super helpful! I love the set you chose :love:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good choice on the sidestones. :appl:

CaratLover2

Shiny_Rock
VC can get high crown french cuts too. If you want them, all you have to do is ask for them.

fridays_child

Shiny_Rock
CaratLover2|1337750052|3201460 said:
VC can get high crown french cuts too. If you want them, all you have to do is ask for them.

Since VC seems to be expanding into offering VC cushions, it makes sense that he is expanding into other stone offerings as well.

fridays_child

Shiny_Rock
I just wanted to make a correction to my comments on the PS french cut rings picture posted above, just in case anyone out there is reading.

I think ring #5 is missydebby's Leon - the stone is a cushion sourced by Perry (not an AV stone) and the sidestones are not antique-style french cuts.

I think ring #6 is blinganator's Leon - the stone is a cushion from Mark/ERD and the sidestones are carre(?). They definitely have a different look to them! The metalwork/milgrain along the sidestones is so delicate, you can tell it's from Leon.

PS-FrenchCutSisters2.jpg

fridays_child

Shiny_Rock
To both Yssie and Gypsy,

thanks for sharing your opinion on my choice! I have a healthy respect for your intelligence, knowledge, and taste (each of you).

:)

CaratLover2

Shiny_Rock
I am still trying to decide what setting to get for my L stone

Firelover - have you made a decision yet?

CL2

firelover

Rough_Rock
CL2 - :(sad ..I am so lost...Indecisiveness is at its extreme :???: ..

What have you decided?

CaratLover2

Shiny_Rock
I've decided to go with VC :D ... but am working on design modifications at the moment.

Don't be confused :???: I'm all ears if it helps ... and I'm sure others here will be prepared to discuss ideas too!

I'm dying to know what you end up doing! :Up_to_something:

I wonder if Friday's Child has got her ring back from LM yet?

firelover

Rough_Rock
Thats awesome! What design are you going with? Halo or F Tapered...I go back and forth so asking you....

He is one of my top contenders right now..

Share pictures/ideas of what you are doing..so I can get inspired...

CaratLover2

Shiny_Rock
I sent this link to him this morning - http://www.costerfinejewelry.com/Engagement_Rings/Engagement_Rings_9.html

What I'm after is a bit of a cross between the Sophia and something like this - very vintage-y. I'm hoping to have some engraving ... Victor's engraving is to die for! I'd love to get the whole ring engraved ... maybe I will?!

I'm just running ideas past him. I'm yet to hear back from him ... but I am loving the vintage vibe ... and just can't get enough of LGK's masterpiece - [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/victor-canera-reset-my-3-39-ct-oec-tapered-french-cuts.158320/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/victor-canera-reset-my-3-39-ct-oec-tapered-french-cuts.158320/[/URL]

Inspired now?

firelover

Rough_Rock
CaratLover2|1338480379|3206775 said:
I sent this link to him this morning - http://www.costerfinejewelry.com/Engagement_Rings/Engagement_Rings_9.html

What I'm after is a bit of a cross between the Sophia and something like this - very vintage-y. I'm hoping to have some engraving ... Victor's engraving is to die for! I'd love to get the whole ring engraved ... maybe I will?!

I'm just running ideas past him. I'm yet to hear back from him ... but I am loving the vintage vibe ... and just can't get enough of LGK's masterpiece - [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/victor-canera-reset-my-3-39-ct-oec-tapered-french-cuts.158320/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/victor-canera-reset-my-3-39-ct-oec-tapered-french-cuts.158320/[/URL]

Inspired now?

:love: Love that ring from coster. I just want a copy of that...so vintagy unique looking ring...

LGK's ring has been my favorite too even though I dont like bezels that much..but this one is special!!! I am very inspired....thank you ...I need to keep on talking to you :D ..I have to realize that its okay if it takes some time to figure out what I want..

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results