shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling madelise!

audball

Ideal_Rock
madelise|1337574136|3200068 said:
I am. Über. Nervous. and Excited. SO is excited too, but he's probably just excited to "get it over with" :devil: even though he wears a smile on his face when I talk about Friday. We have a PACKED SCHEDULE this Friday, but I'm starting it off right with JbEG. I'm also going to make a followup appointment at Claude Morady, an estate jeweler that we visited last week, to see one ring that wasn't there the day I went. I also just sent out an email to Adam at OWD. I should also hear back from another seller on Wednesday or so about another ring. My tummy gets all fluttery thinking about it. I just want to find THE one. the ONE. And never have to upgrade, and never have to change my mind. SO is VERY adamant about no-upgrading, and I can see his point. After buying a house and having kids, it'll be impossible to find true "disposable" income. And that's a LOT of pressure! Is there an emoticon for sick-to-my-stomache?

Are there any OEC for dummies, 411 / 101 threads out there? Audball, have you a clue?
Awesome! There really isn't a guideline for OECs. They are all SO different. The best way is to look with your eyes and look at them in all different lighting conditions that they will allow. I like high crowns and small tables with a small culet. I'll see if Gypsy can help with some pointers. We have a few people who are REALLY good at looking at faceting. Gypsy is one, Dreamer D is another, Fortekitty, etc. Get some images of the choices, throw them up in RockyTalky OR another outlet that you know of where it would be more private than on PS.

It's a lot of pressure to get it right. I totally get that. What's your budget? (you can let me know privately if you'd rather not share here). Let me see if I can dig up an helpful tips.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
audball|1337605654|3200159 said:
Awesome! There really isn't a guideline for OECs. They are all SO different. The best way is to look with your eyes and look at them in all different lighting conditions that they will allow. I like high crowns and small tables with a small culet. I'll see if Gypsy can help with some pointers. We have a few people who are REALLY good at looking at faceting. Gypsy is one, Dreamer D is another, Fortekitty, etc. Get some images of the choices, throw them up in RockyTalky OR another outlet that you know of where it would be more private than on PS.

It's a lot of pressure to get it right. I totally get that. What's your budget? (you can let me know privately if you'd rather not share here). Let me see if I can dig up an helpful tips.

Thanks for being an awesome friend, Aud, and listening to me freak out yesterday. I decided to "come out of the closet" with this, because the more help I can get, the better. I know I'm immature, and am weary with others' opinions.. but I won't be when I'm 80, wearing this same rock on my finger :wink2: while rocking in my rocking chair. I started a thread this morning on RT, in case you haven't seen. I need to focus on the END product, and the end result. Lifetime wearing same ring, forever, need. much. help. from. EVERY. one. WHO CARES 'bout internet and real life people making judgements. Blahhhhh.

Where's LLC at?

CaprineSun

Brilliant_Rock
madelise|1337735691|3201318 said:
audball|1337605654|3200159 said:

Thanks for being an awesome friend, Aud, and listening to me freak out yesterday. I decided to "come out of the closet" with this, because the more help I can get, the better. I know I'm immature, and am weary with others' opinions.. but I won't be when I'm 80, wearing this same rock on my finger :wink2: while rocking in my rocking chair. I started a thread this morning on RT, in case you haven't seen. I need to focus on the END product, and the end result. Lifetime wearing same ring, forever, need. much. help. from. EVERY. one. WHO CARES 'bout internet and real life people making judgements. Blahhhhh.

Where's LLC at?

I TOTALLY feel you, Madelise!! I feel the same way! ugh.

CaprineSun

Brilliant_Rock
madelise|1336191002|3187990 said:
redsoxgrl|1336181907|3187894 said:
You know what, i really love this outlet to talk to everyone here. It's great to see that someone can have a problem, and a few people answer with varying responses. And you can read through these replies, and find a meaning within yourself and things you are going through. YOU GUYS ALL ROCK!

I think PS has an awesome "type" of user. We're all planners. That's why we're on here: to plan our important purchases and vent because we can't plan every tiny little detail. ;)) And as planners, we view the world in a tweaked version of those free birds out there. We want to see the end picture.. and scrutinize every life choice so that we end up in that end picture we envision.

I think that's why we have great people to turn to for advice, all collected on one jewelry forum. It's not just the jewelry we have in common.. We're diverse in cultural background, in religious preferences, in educational backgrounds, and in political preferences-- but we're all planners. With the planning personality comes the love for researching, and the love for striving for the best. That's a bunch of brainiacs we've got here! I'm just so happy that we have a group here to come to, that understands that "type".. and bounces off some amazing advice :)!

This is sooooo ME! Good to be around people just like you. lol

CaprineSun

Brilliant_Rock
And, I just checked your thread out on RT! Looks like you're getting great help there!!
Wish I had done the same! Oh well....

Phdecorate

Shiny_Rock
Wow, your RT thread is busy!!! Looks like you are getting some great advice. I don't know anything about OECs so I am learning a lot reading it too! Can't wait to see what you end up with!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
CaprineSun|1337737426|3201354 said:
And, I just checked your thread out on RT! Looks like you're getting great help there!!
Wish I had done the same! Oh well....

Yeah, I was very anxious about posting.

#1) I've already recently been labeled the "mean snotty brat" here on the LIW-side. Though I'm not the nicest person, I can admit that, I am NOT a snotty brat. I didn't want anyone that I might potentially meet outside of LIW and the boards to think that all I am is a snotty little jerk face behind a screen name that's spoiled. I'm not spoiled. This is the biggest purchase of my life. I'm the type that shops at cheapy places like F21, Ross, Marshalls.. etc, and drove a '93 Camry until last year when I bought another used car that cost less than 6k. I'm a CHEAP, and traumatized ex-very, very poor person. But I save a lot of $ and I like putting it towards 1 purchase than the potential future small upgrades here or there. I expect ALOT from my SO, just because I feel like he SHOULD be doing it right the traditional way. That him saving for a long time for it showed his dedication, just like one would back in the olden days of saving up all your crop for MONTHS just to "buy" your new wife. We aren't lacking anywhere. His school loans are all paid off and we both own paid off cars. We don't have a house, yes, but that won't be a problem for us yet, since we wouldn't know WHERE to buy anyway (yet). And I totally UNDERSTAND that all people are different. That's totally cool! I wouldn't expect to find most people to agree with my thought process anyway. I never did. I always knew people were going to be different. I just didn't want anyone on the interwebz world to have more reason to target me as the snotty brat.

#2) I was afraid of being ignored. There are a lot of posts that go ignored. I don't know.. I must have some horrible psychological issue or something, but being ignored on RT scares the crap out of me! I feel like, "Wow I must be such a big dunce that they're all ignoring me." 500 views and only 2 responses? I'm really glad I'm able to get the help I'm getting, though.

#3) I am still very afraid of being "discovered" by someone IRL online. I have an inkling from a classmate that commented about my p-ring a few days ago.. it was a very peculiar, un-non-PS like comment that makes me think she has "found me out". I also have a few other friends that go on PS. I have no idea to what extent. I just really don't feel like anyone IRL needs to know how involved I am with the search process or how much $ is going into it. That opens up a huge can of worms for people IRL to judge me on, and they really don't need to. And PS doesn't allow any edits, or deletions of posts, so that really worried me. What if someone down the line ends up pulling up my threads, 30 years from now, when I decide that I feel like I can run for president or something? (LOL, totally hypothetical situation, I am NOT into wanting to be in politics lol!)

But in the end, I would feel like I wasted all that $ if I couldn't get more "professional" advice beyond the vendors' advices. Practicality, sans-emotions, sans-psychological whateverthehelligothrough, calls for me to post in RT and get the MOST advice possible before making either a huge prized possession purchase, or a huge costly mistake.

SO, after that major vent :razz: I feel like, if you still need help or opinions on your CAD.. post away on the RT. Who knows? Maybe they can point out something to you that you totally missed?

audball

Ideal_Rock
madelise|1337782717|3201606 said:

#1) I've already recently been labeled the "mean snotty brat" here on the LIW-side. Though I'm not the nicest person, I can admit that, I am NOT a snotty brat. I didn't want anyone that I might potentially meet outside of LIW and the boards to think that all I am is a snotty little jerk face behind a screen name that's spoiled. I'm not spoiled. This is the biggest purchase of my life. I'm the type that shops at cheapy places like F21, Ross, Marshalls.. etc, and drove a '93 Camry until last year when I bought another used car that cost less than 6k. I'm a CHEAP, and traumatized ex-very, very poor person. But I save a lot of $ and I like putting it towards 1 purchase than the potential future small upgrades here or there. I expect ALOT from my SO, just because I feel like he SHOULD be doing it right the traditional way. That him saving for a long time for it showed his dedication, just like one would back in the olden days of saving up all your crop for MONTHS just to "buy" your new wife. We aren't lacking anywhere. His school loans are all paid off and we both own paid off cars. We don't have a house, yes, but that won't be a problem for us yet, since we wouldn't know WHERE to buy anyway (yet). And I totally UNDERSTAND that all people are different. That's totally cool! I wouldn't expect to find most people to agree with my thought process anyway. I never did. I always knew people were going to be different. I just didn't want anyone on the interwebz world to have more reason to target me as the snotty brat.

NONE of us feel this way about you. If lurkers do, who cares. We've all gotten to know *you* well enough to know this isn't who you are. It is nobody's place to judge someone's budget, big or small, old or young. It's between you and your FF.

#2) I was afraid of being ignored. There are a lot of posts that go ignored. I don't know.. I must have some horrible psychological issue or something, but being ignored on RT scares the crap out of me! I feel like, "Wow I must be such a big dunce that they're all ignoring me." 500 views and only 2 responses? I'm really glad I'm able to get the help I'm getting, though.

I've seen people get ignored. A lot of times I feel people get ignored for one of a few reasons.

1) They didn't give enough information in their initial post about what exactly they need help with. When posters do this even the veterans don't exactly know what they're asking let alone how to help them. Post a question or ask for advice. It gets the ball rolling. You did really well on yours.

2) Sometimes the poster has unrealistic expectations and refuses to listen to reality. People give up trying to help when they want something that can't be bought for what they can pay. Again, not the case for you.

3) They post several different threads to ask questions about the same purchase. Most people find this really annoying and then they ALL tend to get ignored.

This is all my own perspective, of course.

#3) I am still very afraid of being "discovered" by someone IRL online. I have an inkling from a classmate that commented about my p-ring a few days ago.. it was a very peculiar, un-non-PS like comment that makes me think she has "found me out". I also have a few other friends that go on PS. I have no idea to what extent. I just really don't feel like anyone IRL needs to know how involved I am with the search process or how much $ is going into it. That opens up a huge can of worms for people IRL to judge me on, and they really don't need to. And PS doesn't allow any edits, or deletions of posts, so that really worried me. What if someone down the line ends up pulling up my threads, 30 years from now, when I decide that I feel like I can run for president or something? (LOL, totally hypothetical situation, I am NOT into wanting to be in politics lol!)

But in the end, I would feel like I wasted all that $ if I couldn't get more "professional" advice beyond the vendors' advices. Practicality, sans-emotions, sans-psychological whateverthehelligothrough, calls for me to post in RT and get the MOST advice possible before making either a huge prized possession purchase, or a huge costly mistake.

This isn't something I'm personally too worried about. I've been DYING to meet a real PSer in real life. I don't think anyone I personally know is on this site. But if I were in a position where non friends (or people I wouldn't be friends with in real life (like teachers, professional contacts, etc) I'd be leery about being "discovered" too. I'm sorry you're having to deal with this anxiety!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
audball|1337798797|3201825 said:
madelise|1337782717|3201606 said:

NONE of us feel this way about you. If lurkers do, who cares. We've all gotten to know *you* well enough to know this isn't who you are. It is nobody's place to judge someone's budget, big or small, old or young. It's between you and your FF.

I've seen people get ignored. A lot of times I feel people get ignored for one of a few reasons.

1) They didn't give enough information in their initial post about what exactly they need help with. When posters do this even the veterans don't exactly know what they're asking let alone how to help them. Post a question or ask for advice. It gets the ball rolling. You did really well on yours.

2) Sometimes the poster has unrealistic expectations and refuses to listen to reality. People give up trying to help when they want something that can't be bought for what they can pay. Again, not the case for you.

3) They post several different threads to ask questions about the same purchase. Most people find this really annoying and then they ALL tend to get ignored.

This is all my own perspective, of course.

This isn't something I'm personally too worried about. I've been DYING to meet a real PSer in real life. I don't think anyone I personally know is on this site. But if I were in a position where non friends (or people I wouldn't be friends with in real life (like teachers, professional contacts, etc) I'd be leery about being "discovered" too. I'm sorry you're having to deal with this anxiety!

haha, thanks Aud, I know I can always count on you to be a good person to uplift my mood! =) I guess the original post does have a lot to do with getting help or not. I'm currently waiting for my darn computer to upload that HUUUUUUGE video file that Luann sent me so I can share in that RT thread. It's not letting me upload anything on PS, not even photos, while it's working so hard for that video, lol.

I think I just want to have the moderators edit the prices posted all over the RT thread. I really think others can benefit from the tips everyone is giving me, and I don't want to hoard those tips to myself. It's the $ part that makes me weary!

audball

Ideal_Rock
madelise|1337802205|3201900 said:
haha, thanks Aud, I know I can always count on you to be a good person to uplift my mood! =) I guess the original post does have a lot to do with getting help or not. I'm currently waiting for my darn computer to upload that HUUUUUUGE video file that Luann sent me so I can share in that RT thread. It's not letting me upload anything on PS, not even photos, while it's working so hard for that video, lol.

I think I just want to have the moderators edit the prices posted all over the RT thread. I really think others can benefit from the tips everyone is giving me, and I don't want to hoard those tips to myself. It's the $ part that makes me weary!
:bigsmile: I try!

Can't wait to see it!! I get the price thing...but to some extent, people KNOW diamonds aren't cheap. And to SEE one the size you're getting, I'd already kind of assume you spent a lot even without knowing the figure. I mean, it's definitely nobody's business what the EXACT figure is, but they'll know it's :$$):

I'm sure they'll work with you to make you comfortable with what's left though!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you tell how nervous I am? I've been up on my "day off" since 6AM over here, and I only slept at 1. I kept waking up in between. I GET TO MEET GRACE TODAY! :love: SO is excited, too. I didn't think he would be, but I think he's excited that I'm finally narrowing down choices.

Funny, at first he kept telling me to put it off because "what are we in a rush for?" but I think he realizes finally how long the process takes in finding a perfect OEC, and how he'll have time now to actually plan whatevertheheck he wants to. ::)

audball

Ideal_Rock
madelise|1337956068|3203500 said:
Can you tell how nervous I am? I've been up on my "day off" since 6AM over here, and I only slept at 1. I kept waking up in between. I GET TO MEET GRACE TODAY! :love: SO is excited, too. I didn't think he would be, but I think he's excited that I'm finally narrowing down choices.

Funny, at first he kept telling me to put it off because "what are we in a rush for?" but I think he realizes finally how long the process takes in finding a perfect OEC, and how he'll have time now to actually plan whatevertheheck he wants to. ::)
I KNOW!! I can't WAIT to hear how it goes!! Just remember to try and stay calm and keep an open mind. You DO NOT have to make any decisions today! Make sure you think on it at least over night. I want pictures!!!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
audball|1337956240|3203505 said:
madelise|1337956068|3203500 said:

I KNOW!! I can't WAIT to hear how it goes!! Just remember to try and stay calm and keep an open mind. You DO NOT have to make any decisions today! Make sure you think on it at least over night. I want pictures!!!

Overnight? Haha, I want to take every single one home with me. That's my problem!

I wish I got a manicure yesterday :( Let me at least clean under my nails and oil up these cuticles. Where are my stick on nails again? :devil:

Okay, here's my list of to do's for today:
- wear white
- find little alcohol wipes and bring them. where the heck did I put them again?
- white index cards to use as a background to see color
- my Idealscope

what else?!

audball

Ideal_Rock
madelise|1337956978|3203520 said:
Overnight? Haha, I want to take every single one home with me. That's my problem!

I wish I got a manicure yesterday :( Let me at least clean under my nails and oil up these cuticles. Where are my stick on nails again? :devil:

- wear white
- find little alcohol wipes and bring them. where the heck did I put them again?
- my Idealscope

what else?!
Haha, I know! But you need time to think about it and feel good about your choice. Be honest with yourself about your feelings on color. Look for some symmetrical patterns like discussed in the RT thread. on/off/on/off better than on/on/on/off/off/off.

Use the index cards and look at the stones upside down to look at the color. But then also really look at it face up and try and see how you perceive the color in the way you'd see it once set. It will look differently. Remember that upside down against the index card will be the WORST you'll ever see for the color.

LoveLikeCrazy

Brilliant_Rock
I have been MIA way way way too long!

But i had to make a QUICK stop in to say GOOD LUCK today Madelise! Have fun! Take pics (do not try to hide diamonds into your pockets to take home haha)! I glanced over at the RT post and you have a LOT of great info. Take a deep breath...you are in a good position because you are not in a rush, you have all these diamonds you are able to view in person and you have all the TOOLS to make an educated decision! :appl: :appl:

I'll try to come back soon to catch up all over the place but for now thats all i have time for. Hope you ladies have a great holiday weekend (i'm working :wink2: ) I can't wait to see pictures Madelise!!!!

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
white AND COLORED index card for leakage

take video if you can - trust me, this helps later

take your iphon macro lens

maybe a check list of things you are hesitant about to make sure you do it all

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
audball|1337957569|3203527 said:
madelise|1337956978|3203520 said:

- wear white
- my Idealscope

what else?!
Haha, I know! But you need time to think about it and feel good about your choice. Be honest with yourself about your feelings on color. Look for some symmetrical patterns like discussed in the RT thread. on/off/on/off better than on/on/on/off/off/off.

Use the index cards and look at the stones upside down to look at the color. But then also really look at it face up and try and see how you perceive the color in the way you'd see it once set. It will look differently. Remember that upside down against the index card will be the WORST you'll ever see for the color.

I'm not too nervous about the color because I know OECs face UP white. What I am nervous about is that, one day, I *will* want that VC halo, and I'm afraid the halo melee will make the center stone look dull or yellow in comparison. Ack!

audball

Ideal_Rock
madelise|1337959431|3203555 said:
I'm not too nervous about the color because I know OECs face UP white. What I am nervous about is that, one day, I *will* want that VC halo, and I'm afraid the halo melee will make the center stone look dull or yellow in comparison. Ack!
OR go with the 10mm GOG M and screw the halo! Lol. :lol: I joke!

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
use lower colored melee - it'll be cheaper that way anyway :)

that's what i'm telling myself about a 5-7 stone band if i get that for my WB

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LoveLikeCrazy|1337958099|3203531 said:
I have been MIA way way way too long!

But i had to make a QUICK stop in to say GOOD LUCK today Madelise! Have fun! Take pics (do not try to hide diamonds into your pockets to take home haha)! I glanced over at the RT post and you have a LOT of great info. Take a deep breath...you are in a good position because you are not in a rush, you have all these diamonds you are able to view in person and you have all the TOOLS to make an educated decision! :appl: :appl:

I'll try to come back soon to catch up all over the place but for now thats all i have time for. Hope you ladies have a great holiday weekend (i'm working :wink2: ) I can't wait to see pictures Madelise!!!!

Yes you have, LLC! Hurry up and come back to tell us what's been up with you! We've been quite productive Pinteresting things here in the LIW-side.

HAHA I'll try no to accidentally swipe one :love: :love: and yes, I am so lucky to have found PS to make a well educated purchase.

Have a great weekend yourself!

audball

Ideal_Rock
Mico|1337959507|3203557 said:

OR get Jon at GOG to source you M colored AVRs for your halo!!! :naughty:

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mico|1337959240|3203548 said:

I have a Idealscope to use for the leakage =) Yssie suggested a red piece of paper, but my IS will show it to me fine, yay.

OH YES, macro lens. Where is that darn thing?

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
audball|1337959507|3203556 said:
madelise|1337959431|3203555 said:
OR go with the 10mm GOG M and screw the halo! Lol. :lol: I joke!

omg aud. even with the 10mm, I'll still "need" a halo! I want a 12mm coverage of my bear paws! I seriously keep looking at frankiextah's and anne_h's and DROOL. ON. MY. LAPTOP.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I thought lower colored melee is actually the same price, or even more expensive to source, since the F-G's are sort of "standard"?

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
audball|1337959570|3203560 said:

OR get Jon at GOG to source you M colored AVRs for your halo!!! :naughty:

*CHOKE* I'm on a budget, guys! LOL!!!! :-o :-o

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
madelise|1337959599|3203563 said:
Mico|1337959240|3203548 said:

I have a Idealscope to use for the leakage =) Yssie suggested a red piece of paper, but my IS will show it to me fine, yay.

OH YES, macro lens. Where is that darn thing?

colored paper ANYWAY in case your IS is confusing, and pictures AND video with it in the back ground

TRUST ME - you will watch the video forever and ever!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
oh, wow. I'm ready to cry. I just received an email RIGHT NOW that my old work, who promised me I could come do clinical observation hours there, and where I already did all this paper work for, and where I spent MONTHS waiting for them to arrange my schedule.. has decided not to have me come observe.

I had been waiting MONTHS for this. I just picked up my uniform last week. I really want to cry. Oh wait, nope that's happening already.

audball

Ideal_Rock
madelise|1337961189|3203583 said:
oh, wow. I'm ready to cry. I just received an email RIGHT NOW that my old work, who promised me I could come do clinical observation hours there, and where I already did all this paper work for, and where I spent MONTHS waiting for them to arrange my schedule.. has decided not to have me come observe.

I had been waiting MONTHS for this. I just picked up my uniform last week. I really want to cry. Oh wait, nope that's happening already.
Oh nos!! ;( What happened? Did they give you a reason? That's so odd! *hugs*

Try not to let it get you super down. You DO have sparklies to look at today!

audball

Ideal_Rock
star sparkle|1337974767|3203762 said:
Hugs and love, my dear! Don't let this ruin your sparkly day, we <3 you!
Definitely! Chin up sweets!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results