shape
carat
color
clarity

Help choosing 2 AVCs

HWJSHK

Rough_Rock
Hi first time poster long time forum reader here. Narrowing down my decision and I wanted to get some opinions from the keen eye members here. Unfortunately, the pictures I took came out terrible and are pretty much worthless so I will just post the GOG pages.

2.01 F SI1
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/8539/
http://www.goodoldgold.com/show.php?image=8539/AGS.jpg

1.75 E VS2
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/8211/
http://www.goodoldgold.com/show.php?image=8211/AGS.jpg

Both are eye clean and beautiful to behold. I just wanted to see if anyone could point out anything I has missed.

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
I think they both look great, you can't go wrong with either.

The 1.75 has a more rounded shape, while the 2.01 has a more rectangular shape. Personally, my eyes are drawn to the 1.75 first, but again it is all personal preference of which shape you like better.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will have to tell you that the 1.75 E VS2 is one of my favorite AVC's EVER!!!! :love: :love: :love: I use that picture when I show someone what I would want for myself if I ever could buy one! I guess I'd better save the picture before they take down the page (if you buy it)!

HWJSHK

Rough_Rock
Can I ask what it is about that particular stone that you like so much?
I figured that to the naked eye both will look nearly the same color and clarity so I would have figured most would prefer the larger stone but so far I have 2 votes for the smaller diamond.

chamois

Brilliant_Rock
I personally prefer the rounded shape of the second one and the clarity/colour (VS2 E) and also the shallower depth. It is all a matter of personal preference though and either stone will be lovely.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Another vote for the E VS2. I like the softer rounder shaper and I am a huge fan of square stones. The first one looks more masuculine and the second stone more feminine.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is just the perfect shape to me, and it has the perfect culet and reflection of the culet facet (also known as the kozibe effect).

I don't dislike the other stone and might prefer a more rectangular stone for a right hand ring.

vinjewels

Brilliant_Rock
I usually prefer elongated cushions rather than squares, but the 1.75 is by far my vote. No real technical reason here. Just am drawn to it more than the 2 ct.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
I like the 1.75ct better because of the shape. Plus E VS2 is my fave color/clarity combo!

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
The reason that I like the 1.75 best is because of the shape. I prefer the rounded shape and faceting pattern of the 1.75 over the 2.01.

firelover

Rough_Rock
1.75 - its the shape that drew me to this one.

HWJSHK

Rough_Rock
Should I be concerned at all with the cut grades AGS gave these 2 stones?

Cut Grade: AGS Very Good 2
Light Performance: AGS Ideal 0
Proportion Factors: AGS Very Good 2
Polish: AGS Excellent 1
Symmetry: AGS Ideal 0

Cut Grade: AGS Fair 5
Light Performance: AGS Ideal 0
Proportion Factors: AGS Fair 5
Polish: AGS Ideal 0
Symmetry: AGS Excellent 1

What about the table/depth proportions?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Don't worry about those nuances, the light performance is what matters in terms of performance, and then your eyes decide the rest.

Table depth are not really relevant because those only matter for light performance, which we know is AGS0 anyways, and for estetic preference, which you can decide with your own eyes.

I like the 1.75ct better too based on shape.

Am I right you have them in person? Which do you like better?

HWJSHK

Rough_Rock
My gf preferred the larger stone mostly because it's elongated and she prefers that shape to the smaller squarish diamond. However, she did note that the smaller stone looked more "clear". I'm not sure if that is because she could see the slight color difference or because the larger diamonds' main pavillion facets seemed to be reflecting a lot of light back all together where as the smaller diamond I felt showed more contrast if that makes any sense.

Sparklelu

Brilliant_Rock
I will be the odd one here! I liked the more rectangular shape of the larger stone. But I like a rectangular stone :)
I think they are both stunning!!

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I like the 2.01, the less rounded edges make it appear larger I think (and because it is lol).

ETA: the contrast from the smaller stone is evident in the blue portions on the edges of the aset image. The 2.01 does not have blue in each edge like the other does so this would sway me towards the 2.01 as that contrast bothered me quite a bit with the AVC I had.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the E VS2 best also. The shape and facet pattern are lovely. I like the rectangular AVC's also, but only if they have the little "puffy" sides to them. There are some square ones I don't care for b/c they're just all angles the sides are straight down and across, not puffy at all.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Another vote for the E VS2 1.75. I prefer the shape and the ASET to the other. But go with what your girlfriend wants!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
HWJSHK|1337621741|3200299 said:
My gf preferred the larger stone mostly because it's elongated and she prefers that shape to the smaller squarish diamond. However, she did note that the smaller stone looked more "clear". I'm not sure if that is because she could see the slight color difference or because the larger diamonds' main pavillion facets seemed to be reflecting a lot of light back all together where as the smaller diamond I felt showed more contrast if that makes any sense.

Well then forget all of us! She is the only one that matters and there is nothing at all wrong with the elongated stone!!

HWJSHK

Rough_Rock
Dreamer_D|1337631698|3200408 said:

Well then forget all of us! She is the only one that matters and there is nothing at all wrong with the elongated stone!!

Do you think there is anything to the gf's concern that the larger stone did not look as "clear" to her. She wasn't really referring to the color, more like the larger stone looked cloudy compared to the smaller stone. That is our current dilemna, she likes the shape of the 2.01 but she seems to like that the 1.75 looks more "clear". Was curious if anything on the pictures or AGS would support what she sees.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
HWJSHK|1337632742|3200413 said:
Dreamer_D|1337631698|3200408 said:

Do you think there is anything to the gf's concern that the larger stone did not look as "clear" to her. She wasn't really referring to the color, more like the larger stone looked cloudy compared to the smaller stone. That is our current dilemna, she likes the shape of the 2.01 but she seems to like that the 1.75 looks more "clear". Was curious if anything on the pictures or AGS would support what she sees.

There is nothing in the links to suggest one would be clearer than the other. She is likely using the term in an ideosyncratic way to describe some difficult-to-pin-down, non-technical aspect of her perception of the stones. The facet patterning is different due to the shapes, and the colors are different (though one grade is hardly difinitive).

She should look at the stones each on their own and form a feeling, not compare one to another looking back and forth, because the latter is NOT how she will be wearing them! I also highly encourage you to take them into the lighting where she spends most of her time (like an office, or a room in the home) and see if she prefers one or another *there*.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Though both AVCs are beautiful and despite the fact I usually go for square shapes, based on the comparison video, I definitely prefer the rectangular one - it's performance captured my eyes throughout the video.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
They both look amazing- love the pastel flashes! Still... my eye is drawn to the action in the 1.75 (the pastels, the faceting) but both are gorgeous!

The different shape is much more significant in the 2.01 and if that's what your g/f is looking for - go with what SHE wants. Her vote is the one that counts! You won't go wrong with either diamond :))

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
Personally I prefer the 2.01 F SI1 Even tho it is rectangular is more squared off in shape where the E is roundish. I love the rectangular stones set E/W and so that is my preference...but the E is really lovely and plump pillow-ey shape. But to me bigger is better and there is virtually no diff. in color. The 2 c gives more finger coverage especially if it is set E/W. If she preferred the F then go with that one.

It is impossible to go wrong with either stone.

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
I meant to say the F is more squared off on the corners although it is slightly elongated.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree...it is impossible to go wrong. I would be thrilled with either one. It really does just boil down to the shape preferred. But I will have to add that the more rectangular one does look a lot larger, so that might influence my opinion a little. ;))

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think your gf should just pick the one she likes best, not overthink it at this point.

HWJSHK

Rough_Rock
Purchased the 2ct. Thank you all for your help and opinions.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results