shape
carat
color
clarity

Value of Alexandrite

alexandrite100

Rough_Rock
Hello folks,

I would like to get a value for an Alexandrite that is 2.08 carats. Per IGI certificate, which was done in India, this Alexandrite is Deep Green/Deep Pink. The IGI certificate is authentic as I got confirmation for the Mumbai certifier, but I worry about it being certified from India. The stone is very beautiful, I don't see hardly any facets, very clear. Color change is amazing. Especially when you put in under a flashlight. Been researching Alexandrite, and value for any two carat alexandrite is around $10,000 - $25,000... They are asking about $8,000 for it.

Any assistance would be great.

Thank you

Attachments

• alexandrite.pdf
    154.2 KB · Views: 1,788

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IGI would not be my lab of choice of coloured gemstones as they do not have a good reputation for quality. I am sorry to say this but the alexandrite looks like a flux grown synthetic. It has the same chemical and physical properties as natural alexandrite which makes it more difficult to ID because checking the refractive index and specific gravity becomes useless. Not only that, the inclusions are difficult to identify because the undissolved flux can look like natural inclusions, resembling natural liquid feathers. If you are truly interested in the alexandrite, have the vendor submit the stone to AGL for the fast track brief which costs only $55.

http://www.alexandrite.net/chapters/chapter7/index.html

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Note the colours and pricing of this 2.07 natural alexandrite.
http://www.atggems.com/Alexandrite.htm

Note the colours of the synthetic alexandrite in the link below.
8.7 ct Elegante cut.
http://www.atggems.com/Syn_Alex.htm

Alexandrites involve large sums of money and it is better to err on the side of caution. If the stone is indeed natural with such a complete colour change and good colouration under the two different lighting, you've got a very fine stone in your hands.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just a pet peeve but it irritates me that ATG doesn't list the total cost, just the per carat price. Of course stones are priced per carat, but to list only the per carat prices is IMO a little deceptive if looking only quickly...

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your question is impossible to answer because Alexandrite is valued on (a) strength of colour change (b) percentage of colour change of the gem (c) size (d) locality. Neither (a) nor (b) can be judged from a photograh because even rubbish Alexandrite photographs as though it has a phenomenal colour change. There are superb 2ct gemstones and then there are rubbish 2ct gemstones. I once had a 2ct gem that had a reputable lab report that had the colours noted in your IGI report (and similar photographs). Unfortunately the colour change wasn't as spectacular as the photographs suggested and I sold it as I didn't want it in my collection.

Prices for good Alexandrite have been rising steadily. To compare prices have a look here: http://www.multicolour.com/gallery/index.html?/gallery/single/alexandrite/&-359147270 Multicolour price their Alexandrite exceptionally well and if something is cheap, there's a reason, if it's expensive it's because it's a good gem! Their photos are pretty true to life also and David will always take more photos for you.

If you decide to buy then please please please send your stone to either AGL or AIGS for them to verify that it is a natural Alexandrite. I wouldn't particularly trust IGI and also Alexandrite synthetics have similar inclusions to natural ones so it can be difficult to separate the natural from the synthetic.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some of these stones at multicolor are pretty! I bought my Brazilian in 2009 at a price way above what you are being charged now, and with a certificate from Gubelin. With stones that expensive, you do not want to take chances.

alexandrite100

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone for the feedback. I will consider this and research further, but again, the actual stone is really amazing. It does not look like that in the picture, but more bluish/green during daylight. Again, I just love Alexandrite, but as you stated, I will be cautious and do more research.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results