shape
carat
color
clarity

Facebook Bling

Sun-Shine

Rough_Rock
As a non-facebook account holder I am curious about public opinion on this:

Will you (or did you) post a pic of your e-ring on your profile?

beesha77

Shiny_Rock
I won't make it profile pic at all but I will probably post one pic of it.

LoveLikeCrazy

Brilliant_Rock
Yes it will definitely be a mobile upload filtered through instagram within 35 seconds of saying yes! Lol

TBH I have very few ppl as friends on fb. So it's all people I know and I see on a regular basis as well as family that live around the country.

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I didn't. It's bigger than anyone in my circle/family has and would come off as show-off-ish. But I'm quick to bust out some imgur links over chat and email when anyone asks!

CaprineSun

Brilliant_Rock
I don't plan to. But, I wouldn't mind if it snuck it's way into a pic, though. :Up_to_something:

Basically, if the ring happens to be in a pic I took (without intentionally trying for it to be in there), I would post it.

But to purposefully post a 'hand-shot' or an 'obviously-trying-to-nonchalantly-show-off-my-ring' shot, no.

Those who are closest to me won't need FB to see my ring. If we have a close enough relationship, then they will get the live action visual.. :bigsmile: Even if they live far away, I plan to have that ring forever, so they will see it eventually.

However, I don't judge others who post it. Well.... only if they are obnoxiously pompous, in general. :wink2:

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
*Twinkle*twinkle*|1336535711|3190742 said:
However, I don't judge others who post it. Well.... only if they are obnoxiously pompous, in general. :wink2:
But you know, obnoxious or polite, I go looking for that hand shot!

CaprineSun

Brilliant_Rock
MissStepcut|1336536033|3190749 said:

Oh, me too!!

I meant normally obnoxious with everything else in their lives--- posting names of cars, labels of their bags or clothes--- DAILY. Things like that.

As much as I don't want to post my ring, I always hope everyone posts theirs when they get engaged! The more ring ****, the better!

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
HA I understood what you meant. I meant, I hope they posted a ring shot even if they're obnoxious, but then when they did I roll my eyes and judge them.

I would never judge someone for posting a nontradtional ring like gemstone or sterling silver though. I have a lot of unfair rules about it, I guess.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
*Twinkle*twinkle*|1336536489|3190756 said:
MissStepcut|1336536033|3190749 said:

Oh, me too!!

I meant normally obnoxious with everything else in their lives--- posting names of cars, labels of their bags or clothes--- DAILY. Things like that.

As much as I don't want to post my ring, I always hope everyone posts theirs when they get engaged! The more ring ****, the better!

I'm obnoxious with all my show-offables :bigsmile:

It's just the way I am. I love showing off my peacock feathers. *Strut strut strut*. I love looking at others' acquired goodies, too! I'm very proud of what I get, and the hard work I put into getting them. I've posted pics of designer bags, Tiffany shopping bags, my designer scarf, etc. **HOWEVER, none of these cost more than a few k. Sorry, none cost more than a few hundred. Only my p-ring cost more than 1k** and they're definitely "attainable" if anyone else wishes to save up and not go out to bars every 2 days like most people on my FB do. I've posted a few up close shots of my first p-ring when I got it :) as I was super proud of showing how committed as a couple we were. It's modestly sized. And definitely, again, attainable for others to get, if they wished to do so.

I will not be posting a photo of my e-ring. SO's budget for me is definitely an "untouchable amount" for a lot of people on my FB.. People who have other obligations or who have lost their jobs. I feel that's just shoving it in their face. I also have really good friends with tiny little diamonds that are smaller than my p-ring. I feel awkward being in the presence of them, especially when I catch them looking! I just feel so guilty that they didn't get better. But everyone's monetary priorities are different. Some people spend a huge % of their income on partying, clubbing and drinking, or buying Louboutins. I don't. SO doesn't. So I get what I want most of the time, since I rarely "get" otherwise.

Besides, I really feel like my engagement should be a special thing for *ME* to share. Like, if my friends really cared that much about my engagement, they would come see me IN PERSON to talk about it, listen to me gush, and see it IRL. I don't want my whole extended acquaintances and excoworkers and exclassmates, people who AREN'T close to me, see it. :roll: I don't want those snarky gals on FB sending the photo to others and talking about it or whatever. They can see it at my HS reunion ;)) where everyone else shows off everything else. Haha.

I know eventually it'll end up on FB. I love posting photos of my "unique" manicures. I also love posting photos of my food. Sometimes my ring is caught in the photo, but I've been trying to avoid that since I got accused of purposely doing it! And of course, when the engagement photoshoot pictures and wedding pictures are posted, people will see. But until then, I'll try to keep it my special secret, away from prying eyes!

Sun-Shine

Rough_Rock
IF I had FB I'd probably keep it super limited, and so I would post a ring... After I told family and close friends. But if I had a million "friends" not a chance.

CaprineSun

Brilliant_Rock
madelise|1336538611|3190774 said:
I will not be posting a photo of my e-ring. SO's budget for me is definitely an "untouchable amount" for a lot of people on my FB.. People who have other obligations or who have lost their jobs. I feel that's just shoving it in their face. I also have really good friends with tiny little diamonds that are smaller than my p-ring. I feel awkward being in the presence of them, especially when I catch them looking! I just feel so guilty that they didn't get better. But everyone's monetary priorities are different. Some people spend a huge % of their income on partying, clubbing and drinking, or buying Louboutins. I don't. SO doesn't. So I get what I want most of the time, since I rarely "get" otherwise.

Besides, I really feel like my engagement should be a special thing for *ME* to share. Like, if my friends really cared that much about my engagement, they would come see me IN PERSON to talk about it, listen to me gush, and see it IRL. I don't want my whole extended acquaintances and excoworkers and exclassmates, people who AREN'T close to me, see it. :roll: I don't want those snarky gals on FB sending the photo to others and talking about it or whatever. They can see it at my HS reunion ;)) where everyone else shows off everything else. Haha.

I totally agree!!

I terms of your showing off, you don't seem like an obnoxious person at all, sob your wouldn't fall into that category ! :)

My reasons for not posting my ring are exactly like yours and a little bit more. But I welcome everyone else who isn't like me because that's what makes FB so interesting.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
*Twinkle*twinkle*|1336539769|3190784 said:
I terms of your showing off, you don't seem like an obnoxious person at all, sob your wouldn't fall into that category ! :)

ahhaa :lol: you're not on my FB so you have no idea wth kind of crap I put all my 'friends' through! :lol: :oops:

MqLove

Rough_Rock
I think I would have, out of excitement and as a way to announce it, except that I was proposed to without a ring. By the time I'd gotten my ring it felt funny to put photos up, so I didn't, although I had a friend do an engagement photography shoot and she put the photos up on her business page, which I was tagged in, including my ring.

I think most people put them up as part of the announcement, while its really exciting, I don't take it as showing off at all!

peonia

Rough_Rock
i don't think i'll post a photo specifically of the ring - i'm just not comfortable with that, not because of what anyone else would think but i just wouldn't do it because it's not very me. BUT! i love love love looking at other people's if they post it on FB. those who don't... i want to ask them to! i don't find it obnoxious, and i just get annoyingly curious if i can catch a glimpse of it in a photo, but there is no close up ;-)

then again, i have never been into looking at other people's rings until engagement started being in the works for us, so for people not at all interested it might bother them. i think it's more than ok though!

ZahraLeyla

Shiny_Rock
I posted a low-lit photo of my hand and The Pharmacist's hand on my FB page when we got engaged. It wasn't a super zoomed-in picture of the ring or anything like that, and the caption (terrible cheesy, I know) was '[The Pharmacist] liked it, so he put a ring on it'. Everyone thought it was hilarious (...and if they didn't, they were good enough to keep it to themselves! :lol: )

I would repost the photo here, but I don't seem to be able to upload photos to PS anymore. Must have reached my upload limit or something.

Magpie09

Shiny_Rock
ZahraLeyla|1336548625|3190832 said:
I posted a low-lit photo of my hand and The Pharmacist's hand on my FB page when we got engaged. It wasn't a super zoomed-in picture of the ring or anything like that, and the caption (terrible cheesy, I know) was '[The Pharmacist] liked it, so he put a ring on it'. Everyone thought it was hilarious (...and if they didn't, they were good enough to keep it to themselves! :lol: )

I would repost the photo here, but I don't seem to be able to upload photos to PS anymore. Must have reached my upload limit or something.

I'm undecided. My friend's husband did the whole I liked it so I put a ring on it thing. SO and I are now deciding what we will put with our engagement announcement :bigsmile:

atp223

Shiny_Rock
We got engaged while with a large group of my friends, so they all saw it there, and I sent it to all of my other interested friends via text or email. I planned to not post pictures, because although I LOVE looking at other people's, I felt uncomfortable flaunting it. But I figured I could make an exception for professional pictures. So after we had our engagement pictures done, I posted some of those on fb and you can definitely see my ring clearly in one of them.

maebelle

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah, I'm on the fence. I'm not very share-y on facebook, but I know when people get engaged I want to see the ring, so it would be awfully mean of me to withhold that from others.

I won't post glam our shots like I will here, but I'll probably take one of the my-hand-on-his-chest couples pic to satisfy the other jewelry bugs, anyone who asks will get the awesome shots :)

gem_anemone

Brilliant_Rock
Right after engagement my fiance posted a pic of me on FB with my ring hand up kind of close to my shoulder, but we did not post hand shots or close ups of the ring even though we took them for our personal collection. Since engagement I think you can find tagged pics of me where the ring is in clear view if you are really looking. I am also a big proponent of stalking friend's pics to see their bling :Up_to_something:

I texted a pic of the ring to those who asked. Mine is not the biggest of my friends nor is it the smallest, so it probably would have been OK if I did post it. Mine is just a 3/4 ct solitaire so most of my friends find the setting to be boring and even in some cases they feel the diamond is kind of small since I don't have other smaller sidestones to make up weight. What most don't realize is the superiority of the cut or the uniqueness of the stone. I guess I didn't feel the need to prove it to them over social networking. I'm not much of a bragger.

snoopkat

Shiny_Rock
I posted up a photo on FB where my ring was facing the camera but it wasn't a close up so you couldn't really see the ring, just that I had a ring on my ring finger if that makes sense. I have no issues whatsoever photo whoring my own ring on PS (hello, this is PS! :lol: ) but I have a few close gfs who are LIWs so to post photos of my ring on FB seems to me like a slap in their faces.

Having said that, I love ring perving when someone announces their engagement and I wish more of my friends would do it. Just not me :D

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
ZahraLeyla|1336548625|3190832 said:

ooh are you married to a pharmacist? SO and I are both in our second to last year of pharmacy school! I need to think of a clever saying hehee.

maebelle|1336566045|3190908 said:
Yeah, I'm on the fence. I'm not very share-y on facebook, but I know when people get engaged I want to see the ring, so it would be awfully mean of me to withhold that from others.

I won't post glam our shots like I will here, but I'll probably take one of the my-hand-on-his-chest couples pic to satisfy the other jewelry bugs, anyone who asks will get the awesome shots :)
I'm glad that we all love to look at our friends' photos of rings (I will and have admitted that I sometimes like to just go back through their fb when they announced they were engaged to look at pretty pictures) and many of my close friends know how much I love rings and shiny things, so it feels like it would be a let down if I don't post a picture.

tbh I will probably post a nice handshot when I change my status on fb, and hopefully have some nice shots of it in engagement pictures..but I wouldn't go so far to make it my profile picture as I know some friends have done hahaha.

DiamondBug8

Rough_Rock
I am contemplating this exact question right now!!! I think that my gut feeling is not to post pics of the ring on facebook and simply text or email photos to people who ask. I will absolutely be posting pictures of the ring on PS so I'm hoping that will satisfy my need to show it off!!! Hopefully I can stick to that plan once I get the ring. :naughty:

audball

Ideal_Rock
I'm sure I'll post at least one obligatory ring shot on FB. PS is going to get the motherload of pictures though. Seriously.

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
audball|1336574658|3191022 said:
I'm sure I'll post at least one obligatory ring shot on FB. PS is going to get the motherload of pictures though. Seriously.

uh we would be SERIOUSLY hunting you down if you didn't give us the motherlode!!!! :bigsmile:

LoveLikeCrazy

Brilliant_Rock
audball|1336574658|3191022 said:
hopefully one sneak peak next week when you get it in too!!! LOL :mrgreen:

audball

Ideal_Rock
pandabee|1336577711|3191072 said:
uh we would be SERIOUSLY hunting you down if you didn't give us the motherlode!!!! :bigsmile:

Hehehehe. I promise!

redsoxgrl|1336578796|3191084 said:
hopefully one sneak peak next week when you get it in too!!! LOL :mrgreen:
Definitely!

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
Good question, I don't know if I would. I think about it now, and I've always treated my FB as a "press release only" site. I don't even know if we'll change our status to engaged immediately.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
pandabee|1336570686|3190971 said:
SO and I are both in our second to last year of pharmacy school! I need to think of a clever saying hehee.

You can post pics of the rings sitting with a tilted/spilled pill bottle, with pills all over, and write something like, "I found my drug of choice" or something? "He makes me high on love" or something? Haha. I'm no good with thinking cheesy.. "Prescription for eternal love"? LOL! Oh god. I'm horrible at this cheesy stuff. It makes me laugh my ass off.

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
madelise|1336584286|3191179 said:
pandabee|1336570686|3190971 said:
SO and I are both in our second to last year of pharmacy school! I need to think of a clever saying hehee.

You can post pics of the rings sitting with a tilted/spilled pill bottle, with pills all over, and write something like, "I found my drug of choice" or something? "He makes me high on love" or something? Haha. I'm no good with thinking cheesy.. "Prescription for eternal love"? LOL! Oh god. I'm horrible at this cheesy stuff. It makes me laugh my a$$ off.

AHHAA omg those are actually pretty creative. all of our mutual friends will make fun of me SO much if it's too cheesy though lol.

audball

Ideal_Rock
Cute ideas madelise!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results