shape
carat
color
clarity

Insurance: AGA Appraisal Color Better Than AGS Cert?

cksnipe

Rough_Rock
I recently purchased a G color Whiteflash ACA Round Brilliant, and had it independently appraised and graded at AGA with Chris DiCamillo. He is a great guy and went over everything in detail with us. He graded the stone as an F (borderline E) color, but our AGS cert says G color. Everything else is almost identical on both certs. Our appraisal and AGA cert therefore says F color. I've heard that AGS color grading is soft, so I was really surprised to see this (I was actually hoping it wasn't going to be an H).

The diamond was graded loose.

Should we insure it with the specs on the appraisal and the AGA cert, or submit everything including both certs, and all of the Whiteflash documents?

Thanks!

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
This is a question for the experts and I'll be interested in hearing what they have to say, but my initial response would be that the AGS report would trump the independent appraisal.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The AGS report is not just a description of what you bought, it’s PART of what you bought, along with the Whiteflash branding. You bought an AGS-G and presumably you would wish it to be replaced with another AGS-G of like kind and quality in the case of a loss. Correct? Did you show Chris the AGS report? What did he have to say about it? Is it mentioned in his report? The issue seems to be that he’s saying it’s a lighter color than other AGS-G’s that he’s encountered, and indeed it may be, but that doesn’t change the pedigree and it’s unlikely to change the insurance company’s procedures on replacement. To do that you need to send it back to AGSL and protest the color grade. They may or may not agree but if they do, they'll issue a new report with the new specs. Chris can probably help you to do this if you really want but be aware that there's a fee and some shipping time involved. Mostly I don't see the point in your situation but that's the way AGS-G's turn into AGS-F's.

If you tell them it’s an AGSL graded stone, they’ll replace based on that report. If you DON’T tell them it’s an AGSL graded stone they won’t be buying one for the replacement.

This all assumes, of course, that Chris agrees that it’s the correct document for the stone. That’s a whole different sort of problem. Can I presume you asked?

cksnipe

Rough_Rock
Thank you both for your responses. Yes, we're really happy with whatever color this diamoond is (whether it be a H, G, or F) and in the case of a loss, we would like to have the stone replaced with a diamond of similar color and quality as we have now.

We did show Chris the AGS report, and he agreed that it was the correct document for the stone. He confirmed the measurements, inclusion plot, and weight on the AGS cert, everything except the color (but he did say that he could change the statement on his appraisal report to a G if we wanted it to match the AGS cert). On Chris' appraisal, there is mention that the stone has an inscription of AGSL-Report Number. However, it does not discuss the content of the AGS report. I figure if the only way to know for sure involves sending the stone to AGS, then it is not worth the trouble for the mere possibility of improving the cert one color grading.

However, now the question is: can we submit supporting documents such as the AGS cert and SARIN, IS, ASET photos to the insurance company even if it is not mentioned in the report, or should we ask Chris to add them?

Thanks again!

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Chris can easily add the data you want into the report. Just give him a call....

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results